ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is there a formula for sleeping considerably less?

Posted by sarblohlove 
gurmukho, is there a formula for sleeping considerably less i.e. few hours a day? For e.g. reciting a certain bani or doing a certain amount of simran.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
1) EAT LESS
2) Dont eat close to going to bed
3) No Pizzas/Paranathas

Hahahaha - that might sound difficult, but surely only Gurmukhs could then tell other better ways to avoid it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
I was searching for sleeping patterns that would help me sleep less and i came upon two, one is called the UBERMAN sleep pattern and other is the EVERYMAN sleep pattern.

The Uberman's Sleep Schedule

Sleeping Hours
The Uberman's sleep schedule revolves around forcing yourself to rely on six twenty to thirty minute naps spread throughout the day for your daily dose of sleep. I stuck to thirty minute naps, currently having them starting roughly at 2 AM, 6 AM, 10 AM, 2 PM, 6 PM, and 10 PM every day.

Everyman is a bit different, you have 3 hours of "core" sleep then have 3 twenty minute breaks. 4 hours of sleep total

If you do a little bit of searching on youtube and google there have been many people who were successfull at implementing these patterns and they say it works as they are fresh all day with only 3-4 hours of sleep, but the problem is adjusting to the pattern is VERY hard for the first week or so, and you need a lot of will power to do so

I've been trying to implement this sleeping pattern but any time I try for, after a few days, i'll just give up after a while and end up sleeping in. And the hardest part is adjusting for the first week, but from what i read if you follow the pattern for a week or two your good to go.

As for gurbani, I was told repeating this tukh will help with sleep

baabaa hor sounaa khusee khuaar ||
O Baba, the pleasure of other sleep is false.

jith suthai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||4||7||
By such sleep, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind.
be careful... the optimal sleep time per day is 6-7 hours. lack of sleep can lead to a decreased immune system, hypertension, fatigue, muscle soreness, depression, confusion, memory problems, and even cancer (caused by suppression of melatonin). short sleep cycles means you don't get enough REM sleep, which can lead to mental disorders.

normal sleep isn't about pleasure, it's necessity for all animals. i think the pangti above is probably talking about excessive sleep.
Wahegurulove ji,

You've posted some awesome sleeping techniques that are worthy of trial. Although I believe ardas is the biggest factor in such a situation, the methods that you have posted seem intriguing. I will definitely try it out. Thanks.
Yes these patterns take into account REM sleep, the whole point is when your so tired, sleeping in intervals (20-30 min naps) you go straight into when sleep everytime you sleep so you are essentially getting the same or more amount of rem sleep. Whereas if you sleep a regular straight 8 hours, you go into REM sleep for only the last 2 hours of your 8 hour sleep process. The whole problem is that for the first few weeks you are trying this new pattern you don't go into REM sleep right away so thats why the adjusting period is so hard..I'll let everyone know if this works for me, i'm trying the pattern as we speak
Hope that post made sense to you
Very interesting thoughts "Wahegurulove jeeo". If this can work for someone and they can use the time saved to Japp Naam.

Kulbir Singh
interestingly, there's a "sleep gene", called DEC2, which regulates the amount of sleep we need to be healthy. in some otherwise normal people, there is a mutation to that gene which allows them to live a healthy life on 4 hours of sleep per day. oh, to be blessed with such a mutation. smiling smiley
Regarding sleep gene, I was curious, to know. A little more information is as below.

Researchers identified the gene mutation in a mother and daughter; both women go to bed around 10 or 10:30 p.m. and wake up at 4 or 4:30 a.m. without an alarm, reports the New York Times.
"It's not like they have sleep problems, they just don't sleep as much," Fu told NPR.
But do people with the mutated gene really need less sleep? Or does the mutation prevent them from getting enough sleep?
“Right now all we can say is that they sleep less,” Fu told Science News. “Whether they need less, we don’t know.

The point, I wanted to focus on is that the researchers, studied the genes of those less sleeping ladies and found a mutation in the gene which regulates sleep pattern. The report further says average sleeping hours of USA people as 8.6 and 8 % people sleeping than 6 hrs.

Anyway, the less sleeping people are rare and so are the Gurmukhs, said to be rare.

Regarding the sleep pattern which Wahegurulove Veer Ji is going to experiment, I find it very interesting. That could be tried by only very few. During my university education, I remember losing sleep for days together. So, stress is the best formula.smiling smiley

The other formula is the Interest in the work, we do while awake. If we have an interesting job to do in the morning, we are likely to get up quickly. So, if we have enough to do, pending work in hand; why go for sleeping. LAGI VAALE KADE VEE NAA SONDE TERI KIVEN AKH LAGG GAI and also, as said by Bhai Veer Singh Ji, NEH VAALE NAINA KI NINDER OH DINE RAAT PAI VEHNDE.

I wonder what Wahegurulove Veer Ji, is going to do during 20 hours a day? Too much of work or too much of Wahegurulove. tongue sticking out smiley)

It is blessing to sleep for me. A gift of Satguru Ji. AAO SABHAGI NINDEREAE MAT SAHO DEKHAN SOE.
Maybe I could keep a running diary, to let the sangat know if its worked for me or notsmiling smiley I'll keep everyone updated
i just read a blog written by a man who has reduced his sleep to five hours. he said the most important thing is keeping a strict schedule. he does all of his sleeping at one time, with no naps allowed. he said the first three weeks are the most difficult, as your body adjusts to the new sleep cycle. but if you keep a VERY strict schedule, after that it becomes easier. he also said while he used to have difficulty sleeping and would wake often, now he sleeps soundly and falls asleep easily. he hasn't felt any ill effects after 10 years of this schedule.

while the "power nap" idea is interesting, my understanding of sleep cycles makes me think that this idea is a bit healthier?

thoughts?
Effective sleep during night plus single short power nap during the day; both totalling about 5-8 hrs, as per individual needs, seems best and feasible. How much is SULAP in Gurbani Pankiti, SULAP SI NINDRA? Dictionary please.

How much is SULAP in Gurbani Pankiti, SULAP SI NINDRA?

Lap is a measure. Alap means just short of required and Sulap means the opposite i.e. full lap. Alap Aahaar means less eating and Sulap si Nindra means just what is required. Please make a note that Aalas i.e. lazyness should not be counted in the time for Nindra.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you Veer Ji, for so many years I did not bother to see meanings of SULAP. I just thought it similar to ALAP.
Iv been informed by a Gursikh, that there is a Gursikh in india who hasnt slept for the past 7yrs! He heard one pankti from Guru Sahib and with his kirpa he hasnt been to sleep since........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login