ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Siri Gur Katha - Eye Witness Account Of 1699

Posted by harinder_singh 
[www.sikhsangat.com]\

Siri Gur Katha

Bhai Jaita Ji’s name shines in the Sikh history like a koh-i-noor diamond. He made a great sacrifice for the panth. It was only him who brought ‘Sees’ of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji from Delhi. It was him who fought numerous battles in Guru Sahib’s army and gave shaheedi at Chamkaur Sahib. He was not only a great gursikh but also a great poet and writer. He wrote Siri Gur Katha granth which remained hidden from the panth until recently. Even today most of the Sikhs are unaware of its existence. Bhai Sahib wrote much more but it is believed that due to wars and persecution it was lost. What remained stayed in the family of a gursikh.

Luckily, what remained is perhaps the most crucial information Sikhs need today. In the document Siri Gur Katha Bhai Sahib wrote eye witness accounts of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji’s Shaheedi, description of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, account of wars, and most importantly first Amrit Sanchaar. It also highlights rehat kurehat and some very fundamental beliefs of Gurmat which many of the Sikhs today hesitate to accept. I am not writing anything on my own (although it affirmed many of my beliefs) but I will post what it states. The purpose is for the readers to be aware of this and study it on their own. I am not trying to start any controversial topic or debate. Accepting it or rejecting it is the decision of the reader. I won’t post everything written in it but following is what I understood from the text. Here is some of what is written by Bhai Sahib:

1) There is no one equal to Guru Sahib throughout ages. Following Gurmat will bring muktee.
2) “Waheguru” is gurmantar. A Sikh should always recite it.
3) Sikhs are not to lie, slander, eat tobacco, eat kuttha, smoke, drink, commit adultery, and follow brahmanical rituals.
4) Piercing is forbidden.
5) Always remember Waheguru and be prepared to fight Dharam Yudh.
6) Help everyone who comes to you.
7) Realize that everyone is the child of Waheguru. Reject caste system.
8) Always wear Shastars without which one is a jackal.
9) Never cut or trim hair.
10) Always greet everyone with Fateh.
11) Do not wear “Laal Sooha” and “Nasvaar” clothes.
12) Always do sangat of Gursikhs. Do not intermingle with patits.
13) Worship only Akal Purakh.
14) Always eat the food prepared by Amritdharis.
15) Accept everything as will of Waheguru.
16) Five Kakkars are Kes, Kangha, Kara, Kirpan and Kachera.
17) Always wear dastaar on the head.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Important thing to note is that it doesn't really matter if kes or keski is the kakar. What is a must is that both singhs and bibis keep dastar rehit as outlined in your last point. The hukum of always wearing dastaar on head is not only for singhs, this would be an absurd assumption which many of today's sikhs like to make.
Very well said Sarbloh love jee. What is important is that Dastaar is a must for both Singhs and Bibiyaan. Let's forget whether Keski is a Kakaar or not and just wear it. I am sure most Gursikhs can unite on this point that Kesh should not be without Keski and Kangha.

Kulbir Singh
Point no. 14 "Always eat the food prepared by Amritdharis." tells us about Dietary bibek which is sadly not told at most amrit sanchars.
where can i find a copy of this? is it published as is, or is it collected in some historical text?
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> where can i find a copy of this? is it published
> as is, or is it collected in some historical text?

I think one can buy a copy in Punjab but not in Western countries. Prof. Gurmukh Singh published a copy in "Bhai Jaita Ji, Jeevan Tay Rachna".

The language of the text is heavily based on Dasam Bani (Jaap Sahib, Bachittar Natak etc) which shows how much familiarity Sikhs had with Dasam Bani. It is note worthy that five Banis were recited on first Amrit sanchaar.
Perfect, We will have someone to get this document in Punjab and sent to us. We can get it typed or photocopied to have it preserved in electronic format.
Singh Brothers has it.

second one down.

anyone know the history of this? authenticity, etc?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login