ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are parents of a Gurmukh rewarded in the afterlife ?

Posted by harinder_singh 
I am looking for Gurbani pankitis that praises the mother and the father of a Naam abhiyaas Gurmukh soul. Are the parents too rewarded in the hereafter for giving birth to a Gurmukh ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I have read about a Gurmukh who spent his life in spreading Guru Sahibs message and in naam. He then wrote a letter to his mother apologising that he couldnt fulfill her wishes or carry out the duties of a son, however what he had done was save her from ever being born again. This it was Baba Nand Singh.....
ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Sorat'h, Fifth Mehl:

ਸੰਤਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈ ॥
O Saints, meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਵਿਸਰਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਮਨ ਚਿੰਦਿਅੜਾ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Never forget God, the ocean of peace; thus you shall obtain the fruits of your mind's desires. ||1||Pause||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਤਾਪੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਅਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ॥
Extending His Mercy, the Perfect True Guru has dispelled the fever.

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਏ ਦਇਆਲਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਮਿਟਿਆ ਸਭ ਪਰਵਾਰੀ ॥੧॥
The Supreme Lord God has become kind and compassionate, and my whole family is now free of pain and suffering. ||1||

ਸਰਬ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਮੰਗਲ ਰਸ ਰੂਪਾ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੋ ॥
The Treasure of absolute joy, sublime elixir and beauty, the Name of the Lord is my only Support.

ਨਾਨਕ ਪਤਿ ਰਾਖੀ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ ਉਧਰਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੋ ॥੨॥੨੦॥੪੮॥
O Nanak, the Transcendent Lord has preserved my honor, and saved the whole world. ||2||20||48||
ਆਪਿ ਲੀਏ ਲੜਿ ਲਾਇ ਦਰਿ ਦਰਵੇਸ ਸੇ ॥
ਤਿਨ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਣੇਦੀ ਮਾਉ ਆਏ ਸਫਲੁ ਸੇ ॥2॥

Blessed is the mother who gave birth to whom Vaheguru has accepted as Darvesh (holy persons).

Kulbir Singh
This is a little bit off topic... but...

I've heard a lot of Gursikh youth say that when they get married, they won't give birth to any kids but would rather adopt kids instead. Some of them even say it with some level of judgment as if giving birth to children when there are adoptable children available is immoral.

They say this with the best of intentions and I agree that adopting one child or more than one would be great but something about giving birth to children seems more complete in my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, ensuring that the baby gets exposure to the sound of Gurbani while still in the womb, has exposure to Gurbani immediately after birth and so on. These things would be practically impossible with adoption.
harinder_singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for Gurbani pankitis that praises the
> mother and the father of a Naam abhiyaas Gurmukh
> soul. Are the parents too rewarded in the
> hereafter for giving birth to a Gurmukh ?

Veer Ji, what blessing are you referring to?

For a Gursikh the most ultimate blessing is Sach Khand, and parents cannot get this blessing due to their childs kamaee alone. One must take Amrit , and do Kamaee for themselves to receive this blessing.

Im sure if parents due give birth to a Gurmukh they will be rewarded with perhaps a better janam in the next life or temporary stay in a celestial realm but ultimately to reach the highest stage of spirituality one cannot rely on their offspring or ancestors alone they to must do Bhagti

Gurdas Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a little bit off topic... but...
>
> I've heard a lot of Gursikh youth say that when
> they get married, they won't give birth to any
> kids but would rather adopt kids instead. Some of
> them even say it with some level of judgment as if
> giving birth to children when there are adoptable
> children available is immoral.
>
> They say this with the best of intentions and I
> agree that adopting one child or more than one
> would be great but something about giving birth to
> children seems more complete in my opinion.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> For example, ensuring that the baby gets exposure
> to the sound of Gurbani while still in the womb,
> has exposure to Gurbani immediately after birth
> and so on. These things would be practically
> impossible with adoption.

i think of adoption as a form of seva. in the west it's more common to adopt children... even when one is capable of having their own. my mother was adopted, as were both of her parents. they chose to adopt to help a child.

in indian culture, it's different. people kind of look down at adopting kids for some reason. i don't understand it myself. but for sikhs, i don't think this cultural stigma should get in the way of such a seva. you could be literally saving a life.

as far as the womb goes, guru sahib says we ALL do naam simran in the womb. every single fetus, not only the ones from sikh families. it's only after we're born and exposed to maya that we stray. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login