ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is Naam & How do you Contemplate it?

Posted by Namaskaar 
A question that i have been thinking about for a while is what is naam and how do you contemplate it?

is repetition enough? i know people will say you get it from panj pyareh but even then after asking some sikhs but never really had satisfying answers other than just jap waheguru.

thanks
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib / Bhenji (?)

You ask a very serious and important question. But unfortunately nobody will be able to explain it fully to you. Naam is niranjan without maya. Pure without any blemish above materialism. Thus is cant be weighed, and examined through a microscope. Only Guru Sahib can give you the eyes to examine Naam.

Naam cannot be conceptualized. The more one tries to understand Naam through concepts instead of practice the more one goes astray. Furthermore ones practice of Naam Abhyiaas does not bear as much fruit unless Naam is given by Guru Sahib.

According to my small intelligence and brief research , I will try to give a brief description of what naam is and how it can be obtained, the rest is up to you to investigate.

ਸੁਣਿ ਵਡਾ ਆਖੈ ਸਭ ਕੋਈ ॥
ਕੇਵਡੁ ਵਡਾ ਡੀਠਾ ਹੋਈ ॥

One cannot understand Naam though listening to mere concepts or theology.
Naam is his darshan and an expression of his darshan. Previous people expressed devotion to Akal Purakh through listening to the praise of WaaheGuru. But they never obtained Darshan of Akal Purakh. However, Pehli Paatshah received Darshan whatever he recited was a reflection of Akal Puraks Darshan.

ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਕਹਿਐ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਰਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਤਾ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥੧॥

Everybody talks of and repeats Naam Naam but Naam can only be envisioned and instilled in the mind through the grace of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji MaharaJ. When Guru Jis plants the seed of Naam in the seeker then NaaM Abhyiaas bears fruit. It is through Naam which is given by Guru Ji that one realizes their true self and WaaheGuru. It is through this gift that motivates one to engage in Naam Abhyiaas.

Through AKal Purakh jis Grace, Guru Sahib had much blessings. Through Akal Purakh, Guru Sahib first did single minded concentration of his own atma, and then Paramatma; thus he was bestowed with the gift of giving Naam upon arriving at Akal Purakhs dargah. So Guru Sahibs hand is the hand of Akal Purakh. Only Guru Sahib can give Naam via Panj Pyaarey. By receiving Naam one learns that their own atma is the offspring of Paramatma. By realzing ones divine origns the doubts decrease which allows one to further engage in more Bhagti through Guru Jis kirpa.

So it is only though the house of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji in where one can get initiated into Gurmat Naam.

My only advice if you are serious about wanting to understand Naam then you should search through Gurbani and go to the Panj PYaarey for Naam.

Again In no way is this a proper explanation of Naam. I have only conceptualized Naam and tried to explain Naam can only be contemplated/understood and practiced through Guru Jis grace. The rest is for you to search and investigate Gurbani.
i HIGHLY recommend reading this book:

Amrit Ki Hain - Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login