ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pajami spoils gurmukhi baana

Posted by harinder_singh 
I met a charrdikala Nihang Singh jee lately and he told me that Satguru have given His sikhs kachehra and nuthing shud be worn on top of the kachehra. He said that wearing a pajaami with a chola is not right and it spoils the bana.
He said that instead of wearing a pajaami, one can wear long leg sox type thing both in summers and winters.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: pajami spoils gurmukhi baana
April 08, 2010 10:19AM
what about singhnia???
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what about singhnia???

Singhnees can wear leg long sox or get something stiched similar to that.
April 08, 2010 11:10AM
This bibi is not a wearing a pajami! grinning smiley

Anyways, the way I kind of look at it is that when Guru Sahib took away pajami from the royal dress of kings at that time, it was to make them more warrior-like (that is what a Singh told me recently smiling smiley )and this goes well with the name "Singh" which means lion.... "Kaur" means prince. I think that keeping the pajami for bibian still allows us to look dignified, and ultimately royal.

And then there are the Singhnian such as the one above who have no care for what others think, and wear there bana without pajamees. Its harder in this society, though.
April 08, 2010 11:12AM
i'd certainly be uncomfortable in such potentially revealing clothing.

i'll stick to my pajami. i've never seen a singhni without pajami. i don't think one nihang can change a tradition that encourages modesty.

gurmukh singhs and singhnia have worn pajami for years. i don't see how they can "spoil" bana.
April 08, 2010 11:41AM

how can bhai sahib randhir singh ji spoil anything???

or bhai jeevan singh ji?
Agreed with 1kaur. Wearing a pjami does not in any way "spoil" anything. It is an individual choice of a singh whether he wishes to wear a pjami or not. For sure, during certain sevas a pjamai or pajama is avoided but in no means does it upset bana. Many gursikhs have worn pjami as 1kaur has stated.
What a ridiculous comment. If we visit Bhai Dalla Singh Jee's house near Takhat Sri Damadama Sahib we can have darshan of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee Maharaaj's shastars and bastars. Along with the cholas are pyjamas. For some reason nearly all "Nihungs" are against pyjamas, and have some problem with those who wear them.
April 11, 2010 04:58PM
europeans who encountered nihangs in the 17-1800s describe them as wearing kachhera, dumalla, shastars, and maybe a lohi. no mention of chola at all.
maybe that will be the next "trend"?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.