ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A foolish person with wealth is wise...

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
This world is blinded by Maya and considers Maya to be the most valuable possession. A foolish person who has wealth is considered to be wise and an evil person with wealth is considered to be a Saint. There is a Punjabi saying:

ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਕੋਠੀ ਵਿਚ ਦਾਣੇ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਕਮਲੇ ਵੀ ਸਿਆਣੇ।
(One whose house has wealth, the foolish of that house too are considered to be wise)

Gurbani contains several such references to the foolish world that judges a person by not his virtues or spirituality but by how much wealth he has:

ਨਿਰਧਨ ਆਦਰੁ ਕੋਈ ਨ ਦੇਇ ॥
ਲਾਖ ਜਤਨ ਕਰੈ ਓਹੁ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਧਰੇਇ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਜਉ ਨਿਰਧਨੁ ਸਰਧਨ ਕੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਆਗੇ ਬੈਠਾ ਪੀਠਿ ਫਿਰਾਇ ॥1॥
ਜਉ ਸਰਧਨੁ ਨਿਰਧਨ ਕੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਦੀਆ ਆਦਰੁ ਲੀਆ ਬੁਲਾਇ ॥2॥
ਨਿਰਧਨੁ ਸਰਧਨੁ ਦੋਨਉ ਭਾਈ ॥
ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਨ ਮੇਟੀ ਜਾਈ ॥3॥
ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਨਿਰਧਨੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ॥
ਜਾ ਕੇ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥4॥8॥

1) No gives respect to the poor. A poor person may make countless efforts but the rich one does not consider them.

2) When the poor goes to the house of the rich, the rich person turns his back.

3) When the rich goes to the house of poor, he is well respected.

4) The poor and the rich in fact are brothers (because their father is one). The doing of Vaheguru (due to which they are rich or poor) cannot be deleted.

5) Siri Kabir jee is saying that in reality such person is poor who does not have Naam in his heart.

The above Shabad has sketched the reality of the world so meticulously.

Please ponder upon this Mahavaak of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee:

ਆਥਿ ਸੈਲ ਨੀਚ ਘਰਿ ਹੋਇ ॥
ਆਥਿ ਦੇਖਿ ਨਿਵੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਦੋਇ ॥
ਆਥਿ ਹੋਇ ਤਾ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਸਿਆਨਾ ॥
ਭਗਤਿ ਬਿਹੂਨਾ ਜਗੁ ਬਉਰਾਨਾ ॥

1) If there is great wealth in a lowly person’s house.

2) Because of this wealth, both rich and poor bow to him (the lowly person).

3) If a foolish person possesses wealth, he is considered to be wise.

4) Devoid of Bhagti, the whole world is mad (crazy).

Such are the effects of Maya. The curtain of Maya is drawn on the intelligence of the world in such a way that it sees everything in the opposite way. A Bhagat on the other hand has totally different outlook of the world. For a Bhagat, it has no meaning whether a person is rich or poor, big or small, great or lowly, man or woman, White or Black, Indian or Chinese etc. The only thing that matters is if Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee's hand is on the head of that person; if that person has been blessed with Naam; if that person is following Rehit. Nothing else matters.

Great changes happen in the life of a person when he meets to true Guru. He sleeps at the time when the whole world is awake and he wakes up at the time when the whole world is sleeping. The whole world appreciates wealth but a Bhagat cares not about it. Vaheguru blesses him with the wealth required for him to get by and fulfill he daily needs. More wealth, he wishes not. A flashy luxury car does not excite him. A gold necklace with diamonds ingrained in it does not even cause him to glance at it. He knows it is nothing but matter.

We need to stop and look within. Has our life changed after Amrit-chhak? If we are still running after wealth, a luxury car, a luxurious house, and other such worldly substances, then we have not read Gurbani with love and have not chanted the true Naam at Amritvela. The focus of a Gursikh changes from Maya to Vaheguru.

Sikhi does not promote renouncing the world and going to the jungles but it does promote renouncing the world by heart. A Gursikh lives in the world like the lotus flower lives in muddy water. Just as the lotus flower does not get dirty with muddy water, a Gursikh too does not get his heart dirty with Maya.

Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
On the same lines we know the description/value of WORLDLY Scholars in ASA DI VAAR (PAR PAR GADDI LADDIYE........)
Several years ago when Harbhajan Singh Yogi visited the UK, I was intrigued to see his jewel encrusted Khanda (I think it was a brooch) and by a huge ring on his finger.

I wanted to ask Yogi Ji about his thoughts on this display of wealth but did not get the opportunity as he was surrounded by his entourage and many people in the Sangat. I managed to approach a Singh who was with them and asked him instead. His reply was that Singh's are meant to live like King's and something along the lines of if they could afford it then no problem.

Is this outward display acceptable as long as someone lives according to Maryada or is it better to live a simple life even if Maharaj has bestowed someone with great wealth?
below is a very inspirational video about a French born who converted to Sikhi and eventually left the wealthy West to live a simple farming life in Anandpur Sahib.
below is a very inspirational video about a French born who converted to Sikhi and eventually left the wealthy West to live a simple farming life in Anandpur Sahib.

[www.sikhnet.com]
Unjaan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several years ago when Harbhajan Singh Yogi
> visited the UK, I was intrigued to see his jewel
> encrusted Khanda (I think it was a brooch) and by
> a huge ring on his finger.
>
> I wanted to ask Yogi Ji about his thoughts on this
> display of wealth but did not get the opportunity
> as he was surrounded by his entourage and many
> people in the Sangat. I managed to approach a
> Singh who was with them and asked him instead.
> His reply was that Singh's are meant to live like
> King's and something along the lines of if they
> could afford it then no problem.
>
> Is this outward display acceptable as long as
> someone lives according to Maryada or is it better
> to live a simple life even if Maharaj has bestowed
> someone with great wealth?

I remember a few years back I came across a quote by Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji in regards to this matter. I cant remember the source nor can I remember the exact quite since it was a couple of years ago but here it is

Zair AMir, Batan Fakir!

Like a King on the outside, and like a fakir in this inside.

I do not understand the context and the situation this quote stated but Im guessing it has to do with the Miri Piri Concept. it was Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib that first made it mandatory for Sikhs to carry arms and wear dastara. In the past only wealthy people would have the privilege of wearing dastara and shasters. This being said I think Bana gives us the outward appearance of a King, and Bani makes us like a Sadhu inside. So anything extra like rings, watches, etc are not necessary. The dastar reminds we are not subservient to any man while the Sri Sahib reminds us we do not fear anyone. Jewelry doesnt serve any purpose but boosting the ego.
Veer Ji, I agree with your views on display of wealth. Certainly we should avoid that.

Regarding Veer Kulbir Singh Ji's starting post; it is to be noticed that "respect of wealthy and ignoring poor persons" is also very much prevalent in modern sikhs like me. May be both are Amritdhari; wealthy is likely to get more respect as compared to less wealthy. It is very very difficult to be above this impact of MAYA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login