ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Satan in Sikhi

Posted by Singh. 
Satan in Sikhi
March 30, 2010 05:28AM
Does Satan exist as an entity in Gurmat? Some Gursikhs have described seeing satan, but I am curious about this as Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh has written a whole book on the mystical unseen world (Undithi duniya) and I havent seen any mention of Satan.

Satan is mentioned in Gurbani a few times but I cant help but think this is a metaphor for Kaljug or the mind.

All thoughts welcome.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Satan in Sikhi
March 30, 2010 07:33AM

Does Satan exist as an entity in Gurmat? Some Gursikhs have described seeing satan, but I am curious about this as Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh has written a whole book on the mystical unseen world (Undithi duniya) and I havent seen any mention of Satan.

Satan is mentioned in Gurbani a few times but I cant help but think this is a metaphor for Kaljug or the mind.

Satan does not exist in the same context as it exists for Muslims and Christians. In their religions, Satan is an arch-rival of God, a negative power in opposition to God. In Sikhi, Vaheguru is all in all. There is no room for a negative power. At the most, Satan may be one of the countless demons or other such creation of Vaheguru. In no way, Satan's power is universal as in Islam and Christianity.

As for mention of Satan few times, it definitely refers to Maya or the negative tendencies of Kalyug and certainly not in the same meanings as in other religions.

Kulbir Singh
March 30, 2010 12:15PM
according to daas's limited foolish mind

satan for sikhs are the 5 evils
kaam, krodh, lob, moh, hankaar

that's what we should consider to be satan

but yes, he isn't a spiritual being as in islam or christianity
March 30, 2010 01:00PM
I believe satan is basically maya, and maya is a conscious being with many forms and many deceits to take us away from akal purakh. So the question is what is the difference between satan(maya) for christians/muslims and sikhs. Like Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji has mentioned, for christians, Satan, the horned devil, is a rival to God. In sikhi Satan (maya) is actually a servant of Waheguru. Waheguru himself has instructed maya to take us away from spirtual path, this is a big game the lord has created and we really need to win.
March 30, 2010 02:41PM
for christians and muslims, the universe is caught in a constant struggle for power between good and evil, god and satan.

for sikhs, everything is created by, caused by, waheguru. there is no other, no second.

every instance of the word "ਸੈਤਾਨੁ" in sri guru granth sahib ji can be repeated with "maya" in it's place and still make perfect sense. smiling smiley
March 30, 2010 05:30PM
shhodd kathaeb karai saithaanee ||
They have forsaken their Bible, and practice Satanic evil.

[sikhitothemax.com]
March 30, 2010 10:00PM
The word Shatan ( satan) originated from the Hebrew Language. Muslims also refer to the devil as Shatan. Only Christians refer to the devil as Satan. While this concept is predominant amongst the most popular monotheistic faiths many people claim that the concept of shatan ( the devil) is a polytheistic concept. In the polytheisitc faiths there were Gods and there were devils. Thus they were not considered monotheistic due to such dualistic thinking. It appears that the Abrahamic incorporated this dualisttic thinking in their theology. Hindus have also done the same.

But in Sikhi there is only one and no second as Bhenji has pointed out. Even the concept of fighting good vs.evil is an internal battle. The Khalsa is not suppose to recognize anyone evil or as an enemy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login