ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਕਬੀਰ ਕੇਸੋ ਕੇਸੋ ਕੂਕੀਐ ਨ ਸੋਈਐ ਅਸਾਰ ॥

Posted by Gurditt Singh 

What does "ਕੇਸੋ ਕੇਸੋ" mean in this shabad?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

What does "ਕੇਸੋ ਕੇਸੋ" mean in this shabad?

ਕੇਸੋ has been derived from the word ਕੇਸ਼ਵ, which means one with long beautiful hair. This is one of the names of Siri Krishna but when this word appears in Gurbani it refers to Vaheguru. Bhai Sahib Vir Singh jee while explaining this word has interpreted it as that Brahm (Vaheguru) who controls Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh.

This word has brought back an old memory. Many years ago, I along with other Singhs went to Nanakmata (UP, India) for Darshan of this Gurdwara Sahib. Hardwar and Rishikesh, the holy cities of Hindus, fall on the way and Singhs decided to check out river Ganga there. The water of Ganga was quite clean at Rishikesh and on the banks we saw many Sadhus doing different Sadhnas. I was wandering around and saw a Sadhu who had beard but it was trimmed and had also long but trimmed hair. He started talking and while talking I asked him how long he had been meditating. He replied by saying that he had been meditating for many years. I asked him, if he had attained anything. He said no. I don't know why but I confidently replied by telling him that since he did not have Guru Nanak as his Guru, it would be impossible to attain anything.

He said something about Sikhi that made me a bit upset but I kept my cool. Next I asked him whom he worshipped and he replied informing me that he worshipped Siri Krishna. I asked him why he trimmed his hair, if he worshipped Siri Krishna who was known for sporting long beautiful hair. He asked me what proof I had that Siri Krishna had long hair. I said, "don't you call him Keshav which means one with long beautiful hair?" At this he got visibly upset and asked me if I knew Sanskrit. I responded in negative. Then he declared that since I was not an expert in Sanskrit, he did not want to even talk to me. Thus ended our conversation and I came back and joined the Singhs who were waiting for me. I was a bit hurt (I guess my ego was hurt) and at that time I resolved to learn Sanskrit. This prompted me to study Sanskrit for few months and I did reach the intermediate level but then I got distracted and left it there.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login