ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Eating Out
February 19, 2011 06:03PM
A very sad practice we see in the panth today is "Gursikhs" who think its okay to eat anything, anywhere, from anyone. Not only are they harming their own souls, but they make a mockery of Sikhi. How embarrassing is it to see "Sikhs" eating from the hands of non-gursikhs, freely going to restaurants. They claim their meals are "vegetarian" but their food is cooked on the same stove as meat (basically cooking your food in meat oil) and its 100% that meat (egg or other) is in the food, one way or another. In fact, if one believes in Guru Sahib's hukams that "Egg" is also meat, then the only way to fully avoid it is through dietary bibek (cooking your own food from scratch) because almost all processed foods have egg included in them. This includes breads, cereal, cookies etc (Just about anything you can name!)

The following is an extract from Kavi Santokh Singh's Sooraj Parkash Granth.

ਤਨਕ ਤਮਾਕੂ ਸੇਵੀਏ ਦੇਵ ਪਿੱਤ੍ਰ ਤਜਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਪਾਨੀ ਤਾਂ ਕੇ ਹਾਥ ਕਾ ਮਦਰਾ ਸਮ ਅਘ ਦਾਇ ॥ 22॥
ਮਦਰਾ ਦਹਿਤਾ ਸਪਤਿ ਕੁਲ ਭੰਗੁ ਦਹੈ ਤਨ ਏਕ ॥
ਸ਼ਤ ਕੁਲ ਦਹਿਤਾ ਜਗਤ ਜੂਠ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਦਹੈ ਅਨੇਕ ॥ 23॥
"Those that consume even a minuscule amount of tobacco are disowned in the
afterlife by their ancestors and drinking water from such a person is similar to
drinking alcohol.
By drinking alcohol seven generations are exterminated and by
consuming Bhang/marajuana the body is destroyed. The person who consumes
tobacco exterminates one hundred generations and many generations go to hell
because of gossiping."

By even accepting water from a smoker is similar to drinking alcohol! What a bold statement Kavi Santokh Singh has made here. If just accepting water from a smoker is similar to drinking alcohol, then one could only imagine how much paap one would suffer from letting such a person make their food. Now people may use the argument that if the person is not a smoker it is okay, but this is also not true. Guru Sahib has listed Four Bujjar Kureight's, no one Bujjar Kureight is worse than the other. Thus, eating from a smoker is the same as eating from a meat eater, someone who cuts their hair, or an adulterer.

Dass himself used to eat out almost more than anyone, probally 2 times a day, just about anywhere. It wasn't until i started reading more about Sikhi that I stopped. I would always tell myself, what would Guru Gobind Singh say to me if he saw me eating here? Would Gursikh's like Baba Deep Singh even step one foot into a restaurant? Telling myself these things (and reading on message boardssmiling smiley) I would feel ashamed. I could no longer engage in such a disgusting practice

So for those new to Sikhee, anytime you see a "Sikh" walk into a restaruant don't be fooled! This is an unacceptable practice that is terrible for ones jeevan. Just because so many people do it does not make it okay. Ask yourselves if these Sikhs you see were greater than Gurmukhs like Bhai Randhir Singh, Baba Gurbachan Singh, Sant Attar Singh etc.

I spent so much effort on this post because it was something that really hurts me to see in the community. Just a humble benti for sangat to not let themselves get ruined by this horrible "disease"...if I have said anything wrong, please forgive me.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Eating Out
February 19, 2011 06:32PM
ਪਾਨੀ ਤਾਂ ਕੇ ਹਾਥ ਕਾ ਮਦਰਾ ਸਮ ਅਘ ਦਾਇ ॥ 22॥
drinking water from such a person is similar to
drinking alcohol

I have heard something very similar somewhere else instead the saying was drinking water
from someone who uses tobacco is equal to drinking urine.

Yes, I always find it strange when Gursikhs eat from non-Gursikhs. Especially when Guru Sahibs says
the following

ਜਾ ਕੀ ਰਹਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਨਹੀ ਚੀਤ।
ਉਨਕਾ ਭੋਜਨ ਖਾਇਕੈ ਬਿਸਰਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ
bhai ChapaSingh Ji
February 19, 2011 08:49PM
Yeah, true. This is a really good post. Very well written up. Thank you for having searched through Gurbani thoroughly to provide us with this vital knowledge. It's helped me out for sure.
February 19, 2011 08:59PM
Very inspiring post, Gurman Singh jeeo. The words used by Mahakavi jee are very strong but they are indeed true.

This article should be uploaded to the permanent sections of this site.

May Satguru jee always protect us from spiritually poisonous diets and forever bless us with Gurmukhi Bibeki Diet.

Kulbir Singh
February 20, 2011 05:41AM
Almost all processed foods have egg included in them.This includes breads, cereal, cookies etc (Just about anything you can name!)

Veer Ji, Kindly eloborate for this point also. Many a times, one reads and feels satisfied that there is no egg in the list of contents.
February 20, 2011 07:36AM
What a wonderful effort by Bhai Gurman Singh ji! You are right, it is imaginable to see Guru Sahib's Khalsa eating non-bibeki food. May Guru Sahib bless His Khalsa with Sarblohi Bibeki food!
February 20, 2011 01:29PM

Almost all processed foods have egg included in them.This includes breads, cereal, cookies etc (Just about anything you can name!)

if this is the case..then you can sue the company if they dont list it in the ingredeints...
February 20, 2011 02:39PM
bhai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost all processed foods have egg included in
> them.This includes breads, cereal, cookies etc
> (Just about anything you can name!)
>
> if this is the case..then you can sue the company
> if they dont list it in the ingredeints...

One can list the ingredients without actually saying egg. They can just list the elements of the egg instead of writing egg.
Take milk for example. Many milk brands contain fish oils,but it does not say fish oil in the ingredients. It will say something like Vitamin A or palamite.

The following site has some good information on what to look for in processed foods.
[www.eatbibek.com]
February 20, 2011 02:48PM

if this is the case..then you can sue the company if they dont list it in the ingredeints...
Veer?/bhenji? confused smiley Bhai ji, the point of this thread is to make Gursikhs understand and realize the importance of dietary bibek in Gurmat. One can go bankrupt spiritually, if they don't keep full rehit. Eating makes a big impact on an individual. If we eat from manmukhs, who are sirgums, and narrimaars, we're endangering our Sikhi. A person who doesn't keep even simple bibek, in terms of eating, finds it hard to excel further in Sikhi.
February 20, 2011 03:29PM
MB Singh Wrote:
> Almost all processed foods have egg included in
> them.This includes breads, cereal, cookies etc
> (Just about anything you can name!)
>
> Veer Ji, Kindly eloborate for this point also.
> Many a times, one reads and feels satisfied that
> there is no egg in the list of contents.

There can be egg involved in the process of making the food in some way or another. There's never anyway to be sure. I know that in ALL breads, there is a label that reads "contains eggs" (about 95% of the time) and the other few times I have seen is "may contain eggs." I have never seen bread that didn't have any of these two labels. Hence, how could one eat this and not be a patit? The only way to fully know what ingredients are in your food is too make it from raw ingredients yourself. If you pick the bag up that says "may contain eggs" (I'm not even sure what that means) and it so happens that there was egg used in the process of making the food, then whose fault is that with? This surely does not constitute as "accidental" as many would claim, because one is already avoiding one hukam of Guru sahib (dietary bibek). By avoiding one hukam, and engaging in a Bujjar Kurehat is soley the fault of the person who intentionally picked up the bag, knowing what it could include.
February 21, 2011 04:45PM
I personally have aten out before my amrit sanchar
It does not make your body fell good or mind
February 21, 2011 05:16PM
dasssingh Wrote:
> I personally have aten out before my amrit sanchar
>
> It does not make your body fell good or mind

Yes and there is so much Gurbani and Rehitnama's that support this...smiling smiley

ਬਾਬਾ ਹੋਰੁ ਖਾਣਾ ਖੁਸੀ ਖੁਆਰੁ
ਜਿਤੁ ਖਾਧੈ ਤਨੁ ਪੀੜੀਐ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਚਲਹਿ ਵਿਕਾਰ
February 21, 2011 06:03PM
I really dont understand when Singhs eat out. I try to explain and I'm looked at like I'm brainwashed and some hardcore strict person.

How do we explain to these misguided brothers?
February 21, 2011 06:24PM
The best parchar is living a gurmat life yourself, seeing you, people will automatically follow in your footsteps, as long as your have a strict amritvela and nitnem to go along with your outside jeevan.

Also, If the people are close to you, then you should obviously approach them with pyar. Show them Gurbani quotes, rehitnama's, old granths, Gurmukhs who would oppose such manmat. There is so much evidence showing how this is an anti sikh practice, but many don't know that it is wrong, they are uninformed so we can't blame them for that. But once you have explained to them and they still don't listen then there's nothing you can really do. Some people just don't want to hear it. Just do ardas for chardi kala of the panth.
February 21, 2011 06:59PM
Veer Ji, I agree with you that one cannot and should not the risk about contents of these ready made foods; yet under certain situations if one sees that there is no label about "may contain eggs" even; should the person eating it be called patit. We assume that there is no direct human touch in the process of making these foods. Similar is the case for Ice Creams. Our children are most fond of these items.
February 22, 2011 07:38PM
We are supposed to be following rehit which command gursikhs to make everything from natural ingredients; bibek or sarbloh bibek, or eating from gursikhs who follow this rehit, there shouldn't be any reason for a gursikh to buy anything from outside except natural ingredients...

Bhul chuk maaf

Guru Ka Daas
Binodh Singh
April 07, 2012 04:12AM
sorry if the topics takes an other turn. my question is can i use the same refrigerator my friends use and if they put their left material in it?
April 07, 2012 02:00PM
preet kokri Wrote:
> sorry if the topics takes an other turn. my
> question is can i use the same refrigerator my
> friends use and if they put their left material in
> it?

The food should be kept in an area where they aren't able to touch it. If that's not possible, than wrap the food in a cloth and put it in the fridge. Hence, the cloth acts as a barrier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login