ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1906 Akal takhat hukam

Posted by Singh. 
1906 Akal takhat hukam
February 11, 2010 07:46AM
What is the minimum size of kirpan that a Sikh should wear. Apparantely in 1906 there was a hukamnama from Akal takhat stating that the kirpans minimum size should be 6 inch blade and 3 inch handle.

What would a Gursikh who has a physically demanding job do in this situation. I have tried wearing a relatively large size kirpan (6inch blade 3 inch handle=9inch) to work and have had difficulty working with it on. I have resorted to wearing a smaller kirpan.

In general I would like to know what the Singhs do when at work, playing sports etc. How would one do kamaee of this hukam to wear 9 inch minimum kirpan. I know those that take amrit at Mehta are instructed to wear 9 inch minimum, even whilst doing ishnan. Does anyone wear a smaller kirpan than 9inch??
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: 1906 Akal takhat hukam
February 11, 2010 10:25AM
Could you please post a reference to the Hukamnama Sahib from Siri Akal Takhat Sahib, that you have mentioned? If possible, please post the scanned image of it.

I believe the kirpan I wear is about 9 inches. The size of kirpan is not mentioned in rehitnamas but the size of kirpan should be reasonable for bhog purpose and defending purpose. Kirpans that are too small don't seem right.

Kulbir Singh
Re: 1906 Akal takhat hukam
February 11, 2010 04:30PM
I remember being stopped by an older bhai sahib at the gurdwara one day. I was wearing my normal kirpan which is about a foot in length. Bhai sahib grabbed me by the shoulder and said, " 3 foot taun shottee kirpan paunee nehi chaheedee!" I was perplexed at this statement due to the fact that he himself was in western clothing and wearing a smaller kirpan than me, under his clothes. So I asked him, " bhai sahib jee, pher aap jee ne shottee kirpan kio payee ah?" and he replied with a laugh saying, " Jwana, too tan darshanee singh ah, bana paya hoea, dumalla sajaea hoea, pher kirpan vee nihang singha vargoo payea kar!"

I was very humbled by this encounter, may guru sahib bless daas to always do parkash of a 3 ft kirpan on daas's body.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login