ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Benefits of reading Charitro-pakhyiaan

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Guru Sahib says that even if the fool recites Charitro-pakhyiaan he will become wise. At the end of Charitro-pakhyiaan GUru Sahib states:

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਸਿਧੁਜ ਜਬ ਭਏ ਦਯਾਲਾ ॥ ਪੂਰਨ ਕਰਾ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਤਤਕਾਲਾ ॥
ਮਨ ਬਾਂਛਤ ਫਲ ਪਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਦੂਖ ਨ ਤਿਸੈ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਕੋਈ ॥੪੦੩॥
ਸੁਨੈ ਗੁੰਗ ਜੋ ਯਾਹਿ ਸੁ ਰਸਨਾ ਪਾਵਈ ॥ ਸੁਨੈ ਮੂੜ੍ਹ ਚਿਤ ਲਾਇ ਚਤੁਰਤਾ ਆਵਈ ॥

When Akal Purakh became kind he completed this granth ( Charitro Pakhyan)
He will obtain the fruit desired by the mind (who will read or listen to this book) and no suffering will occur to him.403.
The dumb, who will listen to it, will be blessed with the tongue to speak; the fool, who will listen to it attentively, will get wisdom;

In Bhai Desa Singh Jis rehanama, Guru Sahib tells Bhai Desa Singh Ji the following

ਪੁਨ ਬਚਿਤਰ ਬਖਯਾਨ ਬਨਾਏ . ਤਿਨ ਕੋ ਭੀ ਇਕ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਬਖਾਨਾ, ਪੜੈ ਮੂੜ ਸੋ ਹੋਇ ਸਯਾਨਾ
I then composed Bachitar Bakhyan. The fool who recites this compilation (Charitro Pakhyan) will be blessed with wisdom.

There are so many who doubt this granth; no wonder why there are so many fools! We are granted with gian by having faith in this granth; hence, we can only conclude those cynics that doubt this compilation will only become more ignorant.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
what kind of wisdom do we gain from reciting the 404 tales ? We learn the signs of what a treacherous king looks like

ਚਾਰ ਸੈ ਚਾਰ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਨਾਏ ਜਹਾਂ ਜੁਣਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਛਲ ਦਿਖਰਾਏ।
bhai sukhdeep singh, are you married?

i thought only married gursikhs can read charitropakyan?

plz clear my doubts if you have to be married or not read this bani...
That is true but permission to read this part of Dasam Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, is only given after a certain age and avastha

There are so many who doubt this granth; no wonder why there are so many fools! We are granted with gian by having faith in this granth; hence, we can only conclude those cynics that doubt this compilation will only become more ignorant.

Ah! so I see.
So, when did I say that I didn't believe Sri Chatritropakhayan as the writing/compilation of Dasam Patshaah(and not Dasmi Patshaah) Siri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji Maharaaj.

Guru Sahib says that even if the fool recites Charitro-pakhyiaan he will become wise.

Here, you are a little off. Guru Sahib did not just specifically talk about Chatritropakhyan, but Naam-Baani as a whole. Just as you can not pick and choose Rehit, you can not pick and choose which Baani is better, or superior. All Baani is the same.

Don't worry. I know this thread you have started is pointed at me. You think you're so clever, don't you.
Vaheguroo Ji KA Khalsa Vaheguroo JI Ki Fatheh
Charitropakhayan should be read from the beginning as it is a continuation of recitation of stories from a minister to his king.

Chariter means character and pakhayan means a story that has been existing already and is being retold. In chariter two an old king named Chittar singh, had married a beautiful girl and had one son named Hanuwant singh. His wife dies and king remarries. Second wife is young and she likes Hanuwant singh and wants to have sexual relation with him.

Hanuwant Singh has strong morals and he refuses. The queen wants to take revenge from Hanuwant singh. She tears her clothes and complains to King about Hanuwant singh. The king gets enraged and orders Hanuwant singh to be hanged.

King has very wise minister who knows that queen is lying. He thought if he told king directly about this, king will hang minister also. So minister starts telling stories of characters of immoral men and women.That is why at end of each chariter it is written as below that it is end of chariter so and so and minster is reciting this to his king.

ਇਤਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਖ੍ਯਾਨੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਯਾ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰੇ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੀ ਭੂਪ ਸੰਬਾਦੇ ਦੁਤਿਯ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਸਮਾਪਤਮ ਸਤੁ ਸੁਭਮ ਸਤੁ ॥੨॥੭੮॥ਅਫਜੂੰ॥
इति स्री चरित्र पख्याने त्रिया चरित्रे मंत्री भूप स्मबादे दुतिय चरित्र समापतम सतु सुभम सतु ॥२॥७८॥अफजूं॥

Now one has to judge central idea of this particular chariter as it is not written directly there. Guru sahib is saying that duty of a king is to look after the welfare of public. He should devote his time towards state matters that benefit his people. But this king has reached his old age. At that age one should devote more time towards remembering God but this king is indulging in merry making with young wife. It also tells us that marriage ages of both partners should be compatible.

Other chariters are also a continuation of recital of stories by same minister to his king.

Sikhs of old era used to read these charitras and understood their significance. They had strong morals even in wartime.
It is a pity those who criticize these charitras being obscene have not read them, have no kamai of Naam and themselves indulge in extra marital affairs at ripe age as kala afghana did when he was a granthi in Victoria BC. The proof is in judgement in a court case against him which is on the net.
We request members to not indulge in useless arguments. This thread is being closed because some people want to start a debate on authenticity of Sri Dasam Granth and we won't allow such debates on this site, as per Hukam of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib.

Admin.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.