ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Nitnem and Amrit Vela
February 07, 2010 06:21PM
I was reading Sakhee Rehat Ke by BHai Nand Lal Singh Ji and he mentioned that upon waking a Gursikh is to take a bath, recite Panj Banai ( Jap tey Jaap) and brush their teeth. Then after go to the Gurdwara and matha teykh, listen to and recite Gurbani ( Naam Abhyiaas?), do ardas and then leave for daily duties. Then Bhai Sahib mentions the following which I dont understand if Bhai Sahib is rephrasing or giving additional instructions. I dont know how to post in Gurmukhi so I posted in transliteration.

Jab doe ( meaning 2) pehar din reheh ta(n) hath pehr Dhoveh ( wash), Dho ( washed) kar Jap Tey Jap doveh( 2,both) parheh (read). Jab duey gharee rehey din ta(n) sodar rehras naal, athey (eighth) pehar shabad naal preet karey. Jey Ko ey rehat kamavehga , so ethey bhee sukh naal ar ageh bhee sukh naal rehengey.

When there are 2 watches ( pehar- 3 hour period ) remaining in the day ( around 6pm ?) wash your hands and feet. After washing then recite Jap and Jaap (?). Towards the end of the day recite Sodar Reharas. For eight watches ( 24/7) recite the GurShabad with loving devotion. Those whom commit themselves to this rehat will remain in peace in this life and the next.

This is very similar to the same instructions that is mentioned in Bhai Nand Lal Singh Jis Rehatnama ( [www.vidhia.com])
pg 240

The only difference is the mentioning of reciting JapJi Sahib.. in the evening. Some people might say that "Jab doe ( meaning 2) pehar din reheh " means when 2 watches have past ( doe pehar din reheh) does not mean 2 watches remaining but means two watches have past. So second pehar would mean around 6am that one should recite JapJi . Sahib... If this is true this means Naam Abhyiaas is done first and then Nitnem is done after Amrit Vela?

I have heard other mischievous other individuals say that Jap Tey Jap doveh( 2,both) parheh means we only need to recite Jap Ji Sahib and Jaap Sahib for our Panj Bania. They try to explain that we recite Chaupey Sahib and 5 pauris of Anand Sahib during rehras. But this does not make sense because what about Twav Prasaad?

When I first read the rehatnama that states recite Jap and Jaap I was a bit puzzled. I asked another Singh and he mentioned this is poetic and Guru Sahib is speaking in poetic terms meaning wake up and recite Panj Bania. This makes more sense to me. I was wondering could Jap Tey Jap doveh( 2,both) parheh mean while reciting JapJi ( Panj Bania) do Jaap ( Naam Abhyiaas) at the same time? If this is the case then it is more suitable to recite nitnem first with reciting Gurmantar silently while doing nitnem. Then after Nitnem commit to strictly Naam Abhyiaas?

Also at the beginning of this instructions Guru Ji mentions that if a GurBhai becomes a veymukh he is to consider the Gurus advice/words as completely true and abide by these words. By abiding in the Gurus instructions then he will remain in Nihal (high spirits/happy). So is it possible that the extra mentioning of Japji.. is for those who do pesh. Because I know at some Amrit Sanchars part of the pesh amongst many other things can consist of doing extra JapJi Sahib for x amount of days?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Nitnem and Amrit Vela
February 07, 2010 06:32PM
I forgot to mention that is it possible that ap Tey Jap doveh( 2,both) parheh means that recite Gurmantar when reciting JapJi Sahib and this does not mean we recite Panj Bania in the the evening. Instead we recite Japji Sahib along with Gurmantar which helps us purify the mind.

Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji in his rehatnama mentions that it was the Hukum of Sri Guru Ram Das Ji that a Sikh upon waking should recite Japji Sahib five times through this method that mind becomes purified. I remember Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji mentioned that Bhai Randhir Singh Ji use to recite Japji Sahib five times a day during Amrit Vela. Amongst many other Gurmukhs I heard that Baba Jarnail Singh Ji and Baba Deep SIngh Ji use to recite alot of JapJi Sahib paaths as well.
February 08, 2010 07:38AM
Veer Sukhdeep Singh,

Jab doe ( meaning 2) pehar din reheh ta(n) hath pehr Dhoveh ( wash), Dho ( washed) kar Jap Tey Jap doveh( 2,both) parheh (read). Jab duey gharee rehey din ta(n) sodar rehras naal, athey (eighth) pehar shabad naal preet karey. Jey Ko ey rehat kamavehga , so ethey bhee sukh naal ar ageh bhee sukh naal rehengey.

Is it possible that you upload the original Gurmukhi text? If you can't type it, then please try to scan it. I have never read a rehitnama instructing us to do Jap and Jaap during the second pehar of the day.

Kulbir Singh
February 08, 2010 03:47PM
Bhai Sahib I dont know how to upload the Gurmukhi text. Next time I see my brother I will ask him to show me.

If you have Professor Pyara Singhs book (Rehatnama) Then the section is under Sakhee Rehat Ke by BHai Nand Lal Singh Ji the second page starting at atey Sikh Nu Chaeeeda jeh...

Also reading/reciting Jap and Jaap mean to do Naam Abhyiaas while doing Nitnem?

Also when did Sri Guru Ram Das Sahib advise Gursikhs to recite Japji Sahib five times a day?
February 08, 2010 06:40PM
Interesting.

Sukhdeep Singh, if you are unable to use Guca to convert to Unicode fonts, what you can do is just type the rehitnama in Microsoft Word using GurbaniLipi or GurbaniAkhar fonts (or any Gurmukhi font, just tell us which one you have used). Once you are done, just copy paste the text in the forum. Someone here should be able to convert it to unicode format for you.

Or, you can also go to Microsoft Paint and use the text tool to use Gurmukhi text. Once you are done, go to file -> save as and save the image as jpg or png.
February 09, 2010 10:46AM
Umkeo Heo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting.
>
> Sukhdeep Singh, if you are unable to use Guca to
> convert to Unicode fonts, what you can do is just
> type the rehitnama in Microsoft Word using
> GurbaniLipi or GurbaniAkhar fonts (or any Gurmukhi
> font, just tell us which one you have used). Once
> you are done, just copy paste the text in the
> forum. Someone here should be able to convert it
> to unicode format for you.
>
> Or, you can also go to Microsoft Paint and use the
> text tool to use Gurmukhi text. Once you are
> done, go to file -> save as and save the image as
> jpg or png.

Bhai Sahib I dont have word or paint on my computer. When I get home I will look for the scanner, and If I find it I will scan it.
February 09, 2010 06:31PM
my brother showed me how to post in punjabi. So here it is is.

Before this pangti there is mention of going to the Gurdwara in the morning listening and reciting Shabad, doing ardas and then going to work. I would write it all down but it would take me forever ,lol

l ਜਬ ਦੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਹਾਥਿ ਪੈਰ ਧੋਵੈ, ਧੋ ਕਰ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਪੜੈ੍ l

Bhai Chaupa Singh
February 09, 2010 06:33PM
Can you post the panktee which hints you at doing abhiyaas during nitnem? I just wanted to read what the panktee is talking about.
February 09, 2010 09:18PM
ਗੁਰੂ ਪਿਆਰਿਉ,

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ॥

ਭਾਈ ਸੁਖਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਵਲੋਂ ਉਠਾਇਆ ਗਿਆ ਸਵਾਲ ਥੋੜਾ ਧਿਆਨ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਸ਼ਾਮ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਜਾ ਇੰਜ ਕਹਿ ਲਈਏ ਦੁਪਿਹਰ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਾਅਦ ਜਪੁ ਜੀ ਅਤੇ ਜਪੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਪੜਨ ਦਾ ਵਿਧਾਨ ਸੁਣਨ ਜਾਂ ਵੇਖਣ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਉਂਦਾ। ਪਰ ਜੋ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਪੇਸ਼ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੈ, 'ਜਬ ਦੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਹਾਥਿ ਪੈਰ ਧੋਵੈ, ਧੋ ਕਰ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ।' ਤਾਂ ਉਸ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਇਹ ਹੋਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਸੀ। ਪਰ ਇਹ ਵਿਧਾਨ ਸਿੱਖਾ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਇਸਦਾ ਭਾਵ ਲੇਖਣੀ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਫ਼ਰਕ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ। ਹੁਣ ਇਸ ਗੱਲ ਦਾ ਫੈਸਲਾ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਆਉ ਇਸ ਪੂਰੇ ਪੇਰੇ ਨੂੰ ਹੀ ਵਾਚਦੇ ਹਾਂ:

"ਅਤੇ ਸਿਖ ਨੂੰ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਰਾਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਉਠੇ, ਉਠ ਕੇ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਕਰੈ। ਅਤੇ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਅਤੇ ਦਾਤਣ ਕਰੇ। ਅਤੇ ਜੋ ਪੜ੍ਹ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ, ਤਾਂ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੀਆਂ ਪੰਜ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ। ਭਰਿਬਾਤ ਹੋਵੈ ਤੇ ਜਿਥੈ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀਵਾਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਜਾਵੈ, ਮੱਥਾ ਟੇਕੈ, ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣੈ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਆਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨੂੰ ਜਾਵੈ। ਜਬ ਦੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਹਾਥਿ ਪੈਰ ਧੋਵੈ, ਧੋ ਕਰ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ। ਜਬ ਦੁਇ ਘੜੀ ਰਹੇ ਦਿਨੁ ਤਾਂ ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਨਾਲ, ਅਠੇ ਪਹਿਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਾਲ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੇ। ਜੇ ਕੋ ਏਹੁ ਰਹਤ ਕਮਾਵੈਗਾ, ਸੋ ਏਥੇ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਅਰੁ ਅਗੈ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਰਹੈਗਾ।" (ਸਾਖੀ ਰਹਿਤ ਕੀ (ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ) ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਪੰਨਾ 62)

ਇਸ ਪੂਰੇ ਪੇਰੇ ਵਿਚ ਦਰਸਾਈ ਬਾਕੀ ਰਹਿਣੀ ਤਾਂ ਪੰਥ ਵਿਚ ਇੰਨ ਬਿੰਨ ਪ੍ਰਚੱਲਤ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਅਧੀਨ ਆਈ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਵਾਕਿਆ ਹੀ ਹੈਰਾਨ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੈ। ਲ਼ਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕਿਤੋ ਵਾਧੂ ਹੀ ਪੈ ਗਈ ਔਰ ਇਸ ਗੱਲ ਦਾ ਨਖੇੜਾ ਵੀ ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਖੁਦ ਹੀ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ:

ਗੁਰਸਿਖ! ਰਹਿਤ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤ। ਉਠਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤ ਕਰੇ ਹਿਤ ਚੀਤ।
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਪੁਨ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸੁ ਜਾਪ। ਕਰ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ।1॥
ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕਰੇ ਮੇਰਾ ਪੁਨ ਆਇ। ਅਦਬ ਸਿਉਂ ਬੈਠ ਰਹਹਿ ਚਿਤ ਲਾਇ।
ਤੀਨ ਪਹਿਰ ਜਬ ਬੀਤੇ ਜਾਨ। ਕਥਾ ਸੁਨੈ ਗੁਰ ਹਿਤ ਚਿਤ ਠਾਨ।2।
ਸੰਧਿਆ ਸਮੇਂ ਸੁਨੈ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ। ਕੀਰਤਨ ਕਥਾ ਸੁਨੈ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਸ।
ਇਨ ਪੈ ਨੇਮ ਜੁ ਏਕ ਕਰਾਇ। ਸੋ ਸਿਖ ਅਮਰਪੁਰੀ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਇ।3। (ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮਾ ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ ਜੀ ਪੰਨਾ 55)

ਹੁਣ ਜੇ ਸਵਾਲੀਆ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਰਹਿਤ ਦਾ ਹਿੱਸਾ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਏਸ ਉਪਰਲੇ ਰਹਿਤਨਤਮੇ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਜਰੂਰ ਹੂੰਦੀ ਜਿਹੜਾ ਕਿ ਹੂਬ ਹੂ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਜੁਲਦਾ ਹੀ ਹੈ। ਸੋ ਦਾਸ ਦਾ ਨਿਰਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਕਿ ਸ਼ਾਮ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਪੂਰੇ ਪੰਥ ਵਿਚ ਜੁਪ ਔਰ ਜਾਪ ਪੜਨ ਦਾ ਕੋਈ ਵਿਧਾਨ ਨਹੀ ਦੂਸਰਾ ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲ਼ਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਖੁਦ ਰਚਿਤ ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਇਸਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਤਾਂ ਸਪੱਸ਼ਟ ਹੀ ਲਗਦਾ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਠੇਪੋਗਰੳਪਹਚਿੳਲ ੲਰਰੋਰ ਹੀ ਹੋ ਸਕਦੀ ਹੈ ਹੁਣ ਇਸਦਾ ਸਰੋਤ ਕਿਥੋ ਹੈ ਇਹ ਕਹਿਣਾ ਮੁਸ਼ਕਲ ਹੈ।

ਗੁਰੂ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਭੌਰਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ,
ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ
February 09, 2010 09:38PM
Umkeo Heo Wrote:
> Can you post the panktee which hints you at doing
> abhiyaas during nitnem? I just wanted to read
> what the panktee is talking about.

Veer Ji I believe the part that says ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਪੜੈ੍ is stating do Abhyiaas with Nitnem.
Many people claim that Jap tey Jaap really means Panj Bania. But I dont believe this because the pangti says read both ( 2) Jap and Jaap which would be misleading if we took the meaning literal this would mean just read these two banis. What about the other 3 though.. If the meaning was meant to mean Panj Banai I dont think the words ਦੋਵੈਂ ਪੜੈ੍ would be used .

So personally I believe it means with nitnem doing Naam Abhyiaas. This is just my intepretation I cant be wrong. I strongly believe that Jaap is referring to Naam Abhyiaas. But I still dont know what Jap is referring to. Perhaps JapJi Sahib, or Nitnem? I read the different rehatnamas and they all used this term jap tey jaap should be done rite after Ishnaan. I used to wonder why in all these rehatnamas there is no mention of Naam Abhyiaas which is the most important deed in Sikhi. But now I believe Naam Abhyiaas is mentioned.
February 09, 2010 09:59PM
Bhai Nand Lal Rehatnama clearly mentions early morning Naam Abhyiaas clearly but others are not so clear.

Bhai Desa Singh Ji says ਪੜੈ੍ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੁ ਦੋਇ

the word jaap appers first before jap
February 10, 2010 07:47AM

"ਅਤੇ ਸਿਖ ਨੂੰ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਰਾਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਉਠੇ, ਉਠ ਕੇ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਕਰੈ। ਅਤੇ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਅਤੇ ਦਾਤਣ ਕਰੇ। ਅਤੇ ਜੋ ਪੜ੍ਹ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ, ਤਾਂ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੀਆਂ ਪੰਜ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ। ਭਰਿਬਾਤ ਹੋਵੈ ਤੇ ਜਿਥੈ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀਵਾਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਜਾਵੈ, ਮੱਥਾ ਟੇਕੈ, ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣੈ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਆਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨੂੰ ਜਾਵੈ। ਜਬ ਦੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਹਾਥਿ ਪੈਰ ਧੋਵੈ, ਧੋ ਕਰ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ। ਜਬ ਦੁਇ ਘੜੀ ਰਹੇ ਦਿਨੁ ਤਾਂ ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਨਾਲ, ਅਠੇ ਪਹਿਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਾਲ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੇ। ਜੇ ਕੋ ਏਹੁ ਰਹਤ ਕਮਾਵੈਗਾ, ਸੋ ਏਥੇ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਅਰੁ ਅਗੈ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਰਹੈਗਾ।" (ਸਾਖੀ ਰਹਿਤ ਕੀ (ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ) ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਪੰਨਾ 62)

After reading the above quote from Rehitnama posted by Bhai Jasjit Singh jee, I agree that doing paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib at midday is not prevalent in Panth and not part of the Khalsa Rehit. Perhaps this is one of the extra things that if we do, would bring us closes to Vaheguru. There are many Gursikhs who do many paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib, Siri Sukhmani Sahib and other baanis. Here in this Rehitnama it is suggested that around noon time, we should do again do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib.

It would be awesome to do the paath of these Baanis at midday. The thought of doing so is awakening so much excitement within. If Veer Sukhdeep Singh or someone else can find another reference with respect to this rehit, I would for sure adopt this rehit right away. Otherwise too, this is worth giving a deep thought. It would be good to do Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib again during the middle of the day. I personally am going to give it a serious consideration.

I don’t think it is an error. It is clearly written that after doing Punj Ishnaana, one should do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib.

Another noteworthy point to note above is that the paath of Siri Rehraas Sahib should be done when about 45 minutes of day is remaining. One ਘੜੀ is said to be equal to about 22-23 minutes.

Thanks Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, for starting this wonderful thread. We have all learned from it.

Kulbir Singh
February 10, 2010 01:13PM
I agree with Bhai Kulbir Singh ji , that its a great rehat one can adopt.

My questions is that all the puratan rehatnamas clearly talk about Sri Japuji sahib and Sri Jaap Sahib bani's to be recited by a SIkh . A

re there any old rehatnamas which talk about Sri chaupai sahib, Tav Parsad Swayiya or Sri Anand Sahib ji?

Bhul CHuk Di Khima

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
February 10, 2010 01:54PM
after reading this post, i really felt like posting this.

Baba Attar Singh jee
"A sikh should drop 10 other tasks to eat on time,
a sikh should drop 100 other tasks to do nitnem on time and a sikh should drop 1,000 other tasks to do
simran on time

Baba Nand Singh jee:
(Upon finding out that someone will be writing his (Baba jee's) biography)
Laughing, "gursikho, imagine an almond. It has the outer shell, the brown part we all see. Then it has a
white inner part that is not seen. My life is like that almond. The biographer will be writing about that
brown outer part - what I did, what I said - but gursikho, my *real* life, the inner white, is from 1 am
till 6 am. Nobody can possibly even imagine that life, let alone write about it. Only I know that real
life."
February 10, 2010 06:49PM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
> > "ਅਤੇ ਸਿਖ ਨੂੰ
> ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਪਹਿਰ
> ਰਾਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਉਠੇ,
> ਉਠ ਕੇ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਕਰੈ।
> ਅਤੇ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ
> ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਅਤੇ
> ਦਾਤਣ ਕਰੇ। ਅਤੇ ਜੋ
> ਪੜ੍ਹ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ, ਤਾਂ ਜਪੁ
> ਜਾਪੁ ਦੀਆਂ ਪੰਜ
> ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ।
> ਭਰਿਬਾਤ ਹੋਵੈ ਤੇ
> ਜਿਥੈ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀਵਾਨ
> ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਜਾਵੈ, ਮੱਥਾ
> ਟੇਕੈ, ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣੈ
> ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਪਾਵੈ
> ਤਾਂ ਆਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨੂੰ
> ਜਾਵੈ। ਜਬ ਦੋ ਪਹਿਰ
> ਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਹਾਥਿ
> ਪੈਰ ਧੋਵੈ, ਧੋ ਕਰ ਜਪੁ
> ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੈਂ
> ਪੜ੍ਹੈ। ਜਬ ਦੁਇ ਘੜੀ
> ਰਹੇ ਦਿਨੁ ਤਾਂ ਸੋ ਦਰੁ
> ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਨਾਲ, ਅਠੇ
> ਪਹਿਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਾਲ
> ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੇ। ਜੇ ਕੋ
> ਏਹੁ ਰਹਤ ਕਮਾਵੈਗਾ, ਸੋ
> ਏਥੇ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਅਰੁ
> ਅਗੈ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ
> ਰਹੈਗਾ।" (ਸਾਖੀ ਰਹਿਤ
> ਕੀ (ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ)
> ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਪੰਨਾ 62)
>
>
> After reading the above quote from Rehitnama
> posted by Bhai Jasjit Singh jee, I agree that
> doing paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap
> Sahib at midday is not prevalent in Panth and not
> part of the Khalsa Rehit. Perhaps this is one of
> the extra things that if we do, would bring us
> closes to Vaheguru. There are many Gursikhs who do
> many paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib, Siri Sukhmani
> Sahib and other baanis. Here in this Rehitnama it
> is suggested that around noon time, we should do
> again do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap
> Sahib.
>
> It would be awesome to do the paath of these
> Baanis at midday. The thought of doing so is
> awakening so much excitement within. If Veer
> Sukhdeep Singh or someone else can find another
> reference with respect to this rehit, I would for
> sure adopt this rehit right away. Otherwise too,
> this is worth giving a deep thought. It would be
> good to do Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib
> again during the middle of the day. I personally
> am going to give it a serious consideration.
>
> I don’t think it is an error. It is clearly
> written that after doing Punj Ishnaana, one should
> do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap
> Sahib.
>
> Another noteworthy point to note above is that the
> paath of Siri Rehraas Sahib should be done when
> about 45 minutes of day is remaining. One
> ਘੜੀ is said to be equal to about 22-23
> minutes.
>
> Thanks Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, for starting this
> wonderful thread. We have all learned from it.
>
> Kulbir Singh

Bhai Sahib I dont think I will be finding any rehatnama that specifically says recite Japji Sahib and Jaap Sahib in the day. I dont believe this is what the pangti is saying. If this is true this means that we only need to recite JapJi Sahib and Jaap Sahib for Amrit Vela. Personally I think Jap refers to Nitnem(instructional paath) and Jaap refers to Naam Abhyiaas.

In the last paragraph of this pangti there is mention of ਅਠੇ ਪਹਿਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਾਲ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੇ।
So while the goal is to be immersed in the Gurshabad( Gurmantar) 24/7. Nitnem is an aid in reaching this goal . The first 13 angs of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji are part of Nitnem. I think Nitnem means banis that we use as a daily guidance to get us closer and more connected to Naam. Both Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji and Bhai Desa Singh Ji mention that we should memorize banis. I think the main purpose to memorize bani is to aide us in Naam Abhyiaas.

Bhai Desa SIngh Ji mentions ਪੜੈ੍ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੁ ਦੋਇ
I dont think Bhai Sahib is saying read Jap Sahib and Jap Ji Sahib. Instead he is stating while doing Paath which includes Nitnem do Naam Abhyiaas. Its interesting how Jaap is written before Jap in this pangti.

Perhaps Guru Ji purposely did not mention all the 7 banis by name because he didnt want us to limit us to just reciting 7 banis, and not getting immersed in Naam.
Reply Quote аЁљаЁѕаЁ№а©ЂаЁ¦аЁѕ ...&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgurmatbibek.com%2Fforum%2Fread.php%3F3%2C1181%2C1235%23msg-1235" target="_blank">TweetFacebook
>
>
> After reading the above quote from Rehitnama
> posted by Bhai Jasjit Singh jee, I agree that
> doing paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap
> Sahib at midday is not prevalent in Panth and not
> part of the Khalsa Rehit. Perhaps this is one of
> the extra things that if we do, would bring us
> closes to Vaheguru. There are many Gursikhs who do
> many paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib, Siri Sukhmani
> Sahib and other baanis. Here in this Rehitnama it
> is suggested that around noon time, we should do
> again do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap
> Sahib.
>
> It would be awesome to do the paath of these
> Baanis at midday. The thought of doing so is
> awakening so much excitement within. If Veer
> Sukhdeep Singh or someone else can find another
> reference with respect to this rehit, I would for
> sure adopt this rehit right away. Otherwise too,
> this is worth giving a deep thought. It would be
> good to do Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib
> again during the middle of the day. I personally
> am going to give it a serious consideration.
>
> I don’t think it is an error. It is clearly
> written that after doing Punj Ishnaana, one should
> do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap
> Sahib.
>
> Another noteworthy point to note above is that the
> paath of Siri Rehraas Sahib should be done when
> about 45 minutes of day is remaining. One
> ਘੜੀ is said to be equal to about 22-23
> minutes.
>
> Thanks Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, for starting this
> wonderful thread. We have all learned from it.
>
> Kulbir Singh

I came across the following rehatnama in Param Sumarg in which Bhai Sahib states

ਜੋ ਦੋਇ ਪਹਿਰ ਦਿਨੁ ਆਇਆ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਫੇਰਿ ਹਥ ਪੈਰ ਗੋਡਿਆ ਤਕ ਧੋਇ ਕਰਿ, ਇਕ ਵੇਰੀ ਜਪੁ, ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਪੜੈ, ਫੇਰ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਰੈ।

When two watches of the day have passed ( 12pm) then do Panj Ishaan and recite Jap- Jaap together, then do ones work ( occupation)

Im guessing this rehatnama is stating that one should take a break during their work around noon. Do Panj Ishaan and do Jap- Jaap? Why would would there be mention of doing Panj IShnaan?

I have also came across the following rehatnama by Bhai Daya Singh Ji in which he states

ਤੀਨ ਕਾਲ ਮੇਂ ਨਾਮ ਜਪੁ, ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕਟ ਫਾਸਿ

In(ਮੇਂ ) the third time ( ਤੀਨ ਕਾਲ- 12pm? ) do naam Jaap then your coming and goings into this world will be destroyed.

So perhaps ਜਪੁ is referring to Abyiaas along with JapJi Sahib?
from previous post what I meant to say

Im guessing this rehatnama is stating that one should take a break during their work around noon. Do Panj Ishaan and do Jap- Jaap? Why would else would there be mention of doing Panj IShnaan?
Many thanks Bhai Sukhdeep Singh jee for bringing up a reference from Prem Sumarag about reading Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib during noon time as well. It seems like Gurmukhs in olden days used to do paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Jaap Sahib again at noon time. Now with two proofs about this Rehit, I think it is high time to seriously thinking of adopting this Rehit. The thought of doing these two Baanis again at noon time is triggering massive amounts of excitement within. Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan and enable us to adopt as much Rehit as possible.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Veer Ji what is
ਤੀਨ ਕਾਲ mean in Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama?
Kaal means time and three Kaal could mean Bhooth, Bhavikh and Bhavaan i.e. past, present and future. To Japp Naam in Teen Kaal probably means to Japp Naam all the time.

Kulbir Singh
ਤੀਨ ਕਾਲ ਮੇਂ ਨਾਮ ਜਪੁ, ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕਟ ਫਾਸਿ

According to MahaKosh ਮੇਂ means Vich ( in), so the pangti above seems like an order the result of following the order.
What confuses me is how can one follow the order of doing Naam Jap in the past. The past has gone.

IS it possilbe that teen kaal means thrid pehar. Shortly before this Rehatnama Bhai Sahib mentions the morning routine of a Gursikh.

IS it possilbe that teen kaal means thrid pehar. Shortly before this Rehatnama Bhai Sahib mentions the morning routine of a Gursikh.

The problem with these meanings is the presence of ਤੀਨ instead of ਤੀਜੇ.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login