ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jot

Posted by SharanKaur 
Jot
January 20, 2011 01:59PM
Sangat ji confused as I can get at certain points in life - please guide me through this -

Having been blessed to visit various gurudwaras I realised some Gurdwaras' have a "Jot" lit -- can anyone expand on this please?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Jot
January 20, 2011 03:52PM
It is believed that burning gheo purifies air. There's no other reason and Sikhs don't believe in any superstition.
January 20, 2011 04:20PM
From what I understand it symbolizes that someone is home that the light of Sikhi is lit

Sikhs went to great lengths to light the jot at Darbar Sahib even when Darbar Sahib wasn't in Sikh control - often sacrificing their lives
January 20, 2011 06:16PM
They say that jot is symbolic for Shaheed Singhs. The old Punjabi phrase "koi deeya baalan vaala nahi reha" comes to mind, which means no one in some family survived, implying that everyone perished. Back in the days when Muslims (Mughals/Afghans/Pathaans) thought they had wiped out the Sikhs, some Singhs would come light the jot inside Gurughars, so that everyone knows that Sikhs are still around and haven't perished. I heard this in a katha from Gurdwara Bangla Sahib on Zee TV. Someone else please shed some more (jot vaali) light on this topic.
January 21, 2011 02:54PM
jot used to be used during akhaand paat sahibs, when there was no electricty or power. singhs would light jots and that is how they would read during the night.

also there used to be a hidden jot, incase all the other jots were blown out by wind the singhs would quickly bring out this jot and they could continue to read the akhaand paat sahib. then they would relight the other jots and put the hidden jot back in its hiding place.

so that is why the jot is kept now, incase electricity goes out and there isnt any light avaible to read the akhaand paat sahib

there are also other reasons for jots as well
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login