ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ranglay Sajjan: Baba Raam Singh and Mata Prem Kaur Ji

Posted by Amritvela 
While conversing with a gurmukh pyara yesterday, a reference was made to Baba Raam Singh ji and Mata Prem Kaur ji. This prompted me to refresh my memory and to start reading over the amazing 'Rangley Sajjan' book of Bhai sahib Randhir Singh ji, again.

Please take time to read over this chapter and be inspired.

Chapter 01: Baba Ram Singh and Mata Prem Kaur Ji

The couple were both deeply religious and resided at village Phalewal, about five kms South of Narangwal. Baba Ram Singh Ji was employed in the Army, but had quit at the early age of 33. He had always been greatly attracted towards spiritualism. His plan was that, after leaving the service, he would get baptised and would devote completely to a religious life. While in service, he had a vision that his desire would be fulfilled through a �Nirban Kirtani Jatha� of dedicated Gursikhs, selflessly devoted to Kirtan and meditation. That is where he would experience true spiritualism and life of religious service, as one of the Jatha.

Prompted by his vision, he left Army to realize his wish. He had landed property in the village and his family was just his issueless wife. She was a very obedient lady. Both decided to get baptised soon. Baba Ram Singh had already been named according to the Sikh rites and his wife was now named Prem Kaur. She came to be popularly known as �Mata Prem Kaur�. There marriage ceremony was also conducted again according to the Sikh rites �Anand Karj� during baptism. From then on the couple were life long dedicated members of the Jatha, always happy to serve. Following the Sikh tenets, their life occupation became Nam meditation, service, and sharing. Their service in langar, free kitchen, was exemplary. They were both peace-loving, open-hearted and self-contended people. Their lives were dedicated to service tirelessly with utmost humility. They were the pillars of service in Langar at the Samagms for many years. Never was there a shortage of food or lack of service. Their humility was infectious for all those partaking food in the Langar. Their sweet words mingled with the holy food, prepared by them, to produce the Soul lifting experience. Their meditation was continuous and not even a breath was wasted without Nam. This combination of service and meditation led to their going in deep meditation at times in the Langar, that was specially located close to the place of Akhand Pathh and Kirtan. This enabled Bhai Ram Singh and Mata Prem Kaur Ji to listen to Gurbani while engaged in service. This double action of holy service and Divine word brought glorious shine to their faces and their faces appeared as fonts of Elixir to the beholders causing ripples of spirityal joy in their hearts. They were the ideal couple, the very picture of �two bodies but one in spirit�. Their spiritual advancement was made even as complete illiterates. This is in accordance with Gurbani:

�The one who meditates on the Lord, attains the highest spiritual Glory whether a scholar or illiterate.�

Thus this couple was illiterate but educated surpassing many of the scholarly persons in Divine knowledge. They were always cheerful. Whenever somebody wanted something from the Langar, they would entertain with sweet words and supply the need. Their virtues of perseverance, contentment and tolerance were a rare sight and most commendable. They would offer all their earnings from their farm land in the name of the Guru. They had a unique cow, that yielded milk all the year round. The cow could be milked anytime, even at mid-night. We had named this cow �Sura Gaoo� (the divine cow). Whatever they sowed meditatively in their land, after a shower, would grow, yielding a rich crop. Such was the Divine Blessing. Their home grown pulse of whole Manh (phascolus radiatus), prepared in an iron utensil was most delicious. No matter how many people ate, there was never a shortage.

The simple minded, Mata Prem Kaur Ji, attained the state of Divine Revelation. I discovered this, when I would find that she had churned butter milk and specially baked bread of mixed grains, ready for me on my unannounced visits to Phalewal at all odd times. Once I asked her as to how she had come to prepare all fresh food whenever I visited without any notice. She smilingly pointed towards Bhai Sarwan Singh as the source of her information, giving details of departure and arrival as also the number of people accompanying me. Accordingly the food was prepared. I scolded Bhai Sarwan Singh for misuse of the occult powers. However he pleaded that it was not him, but the direct revelation to the Mata. This was just her modest way to put me off.

Such happenings very many. All this was the result of selfless service to God and Nam. Mata Prem Kaur kept her occult powers a hidden secret and never showed off. Occasionally before my jail term, she would say, �Bai (Elder brother)! There is going to be a prolonged separation. May God be with us.� I would tell her that His Will would be done. This couple served with full dedication up to 1914, with ever more eagerness.

Baba Ram Singh�s serenity and tolerance were limitless. He had so much love for me, that he would not stay without me. There were always Samagams and gatherings of Akhand Kirtan. If ever there was a break, he would come to Narangwal accompanied by Bhai Sarwan Singh. There we would do Simran and Kirtan together. He was extremely regular in attending Kirtans. Once the entire Jatha went to the village Sarhali of Sri Babu Mal Singh Ji in district Amritsar. Enroute we were singing (Kirtan) hymns. Baba Ram Singh fell in deep meditation even while walking. On reaching sarhali Akhand Pathh Samagam started. As usual this couple took up the service in Langar. They were enjoying listening to the Pathh while engaged in service. Many a time elder brother of Babu Ji, Sri Bhai Waryam Singh Ji, would visit Langar to find out if anything was in short supply there. Every time Sri Baba Ram Singh Ji would assure him. There was never really a shortage with the divinely contented couple around.

Along with many others of the Jatha, I was imprisoned in the Ludhiana jail. After some time Bhai Ram Singh was also brought there. He had already prayed for joining us. However he suffered great hardships in jail due to old age and his rigorous discipline of Sarabloh Babek, cooking and eating in iron utensils. The unjust British Rule had orignaly sentenced all of us to life imprisonment, but the revised term for Bhai Ram Singh was for two years. Thus he was freed much ahead of our release, yet his prayerful yearnings for our company were always there.

While still waiting for a reunion, he left for his heavenly abode about four months prior to my release. Even while departing his soul visited me in jail to bid 'Gur Fateh'.

The happy news was that he remained dedicated to the last in God-Love. The loss was just unbearable for Mata Prem Kaur. Though still alive on my return after imprisonment, yet she was a withdrawn person, a caricature of her old self living in a world of her own. She met me very affectionately and had heart to heart talk. In a period of three years she also departed from this world, to join Baba Ram Singh at the Eternal abode.

Here is an example of Baba Ram Singh�s kind, bounteous and compassionate nature. In his extended family relationship, there was a family that had unreasonable sense of animosity towards him since long. One of their members had gone abroad to Chinese and Malayan islands to make his fortune. When he returned with considerable wealth, he had a terrible disease. A young man of six feet height and broad chest, his whole body got stiffened suddenly, incapable of bending or moving. He could only be helped by at least four persons either to lie flat or stand erect, without moving. He had tried all medical help abroad, but to no avail. He returned disappointed to Phalewal and wished to see Bhai Ram Singh. When Baba Ji learnt of this request and his state of illness, he forgot all about the old inimical relationship and wished to be as helpful as possible. This was the time when the entire Jatha happened to be visiting Baba Ji. Taking leave of the Jatha, he went to see the ailing person. The patient cried bitterly while explaining his affliction. He made a request for an Akhand Pathh to pray for his well being, particularly when the Jatha happened to be there of Divine healers. He said that if he died after such an Akhand Pathh, he would be redeemed and if he regained health he would seek baptism along with the entire family to live a dedicated life. The Baba on return repeated the request to the Jatha with moistened eyes. He prayed for the well being of the patient to the holy congregation, with the faith in efficacy of the Divine word and the prayer of holy ones. Who would ever have denied a request from Baba Ji? The next day preparations were made for the Akhand Pathh. The patient was brought by four persons in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The Baba was in attendance of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, waving the fly-whisk while standing. Seeing the patient, he addressed with Divine fervor. �You have erred seriously, that you are not aware of at present . Describe your promise to the Guru in your prayer, while proceeding to make fortune in the foreign lands.� It all came back to the memory of the patient and he told that, �Yes, Sir! I had made the promise to set aside tithe in the Guru�s name from my earnings. However I sinned against this. In the past ten, twelve years I made a lot of money. While the tithe amount kept mounting, I was lost in worldly pleasures, forgetting all about the promise. This is truly a serious lapse, which is the cause of my affliction.� It was decided, that the correct amount of tithe after calculating, be sent to Hazoor Sahib before the Akhand Pathh was started. The patient immediately dispatched the requisite money through his brother. Now that the Samagam was to start, Baba Ji put the condition, that he would listen to the entire recitation of the Pathh. He readily agreed and asked for permission to listen while lying on the ground, because of his ailment. This was granted. Baba Ji then gave him encouraging words of faith and hope. The Kirtan of Asa-Di-Var started at 4:00 A.M. and ended at 11:00 A.M. There was a congregational prayer before starting the Pathh. The patient was held by four persons in the standing position for the prayer. His body was just like a plank of wood. At the end of the prayer he fell in prostrate position in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. To everybody�s amazement he sat up on his own, without help. Sri Karah Prasad was distributed when Sri Jap Ji was read from Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The Baba had prepared Karah Prasad and distributed also. Offering the Prasad to the patient, he said, �This is the Elixir of Five elements, the most efficacious medicine of all. Eat this.� Soon after he ate, he felt rejuvenated and asked to be left on his own. The miracle was wrought by the Grace of the Guru and he was in normal health by the end of Sri Akhand Pathh. He could walk about normally. The entire assembly was wonder struck as also the medical practitioner. The whole family got baptised singing the Gurbani:

�O, Lord of the weak! With Faith in Thee, I have put my entire family on Thy Ferry.�

This hymn was sung by the entire family. There was �Guru Ka Langar� and shortly there after he again left for the foreign lands. Baba Ji in particular and the Jatha in general was highly praised for this miraculous feat. Baba Ji wanted all the Jatha to leave immediately to avoid hearing the praise. This is an example of his magnanimity and aloofness from any praise or condemnation.

Hearing of the events concerning this couple from my wife, Kartar Kaur, pertaining the period of my jail term, I would often be moved. However it would render this narration very long, if those were to be included. Thus we end it here.

Rangle Sajjan - The imbued ones
Translated by: Bh. Jaspinder Singh Jee
Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh Jee
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Some key facts that have inspired me from the above account:

1. Baba Raam Singh ji and Mata Prem Kaur ji joined the Jatha and became dedicated Gursikhs by selflessly devoting themselves to Kirtan and Naam abhiyaas.

2. Baba Raam Singh ji left the army to work in the true army; the army of gursikhs.

3. Both, Baba Raam Singh ji and Mata Prem Kaur ji received Amrit and Mata Prem Kaur ji was renamed according to gurmat maryada. Their Anand Kaaraj was re-conduncted according to gurmat maryada after becoming Amritdhari at the Amrit sinchaar.

4. They became fully active in Langar seva across Akhand Paath and Kirtan smagams and thus reaped great rewards spiritually.

5. Their love for gursikhi enabled them to be the ideal gursikh couple. They solely lived to serve Guru Sahib and gursikhs.

6. They were both illiterate but attained divine knowledge through seva and Naam abhiyaas.

7. They would offer all their earnings from their farm land for Guru Sahib.

8. Mata ji was an accompolished gurmukh. Mata ji would come to know of Bhai sahib Randhir Singh ji visiting prior to any notice and have Langar prepared in advance.

9. Baba Raam Singh ji was filled with tolerance and love for all. He regularly attended all Kirtan smagams and was always imbued in Naam and gurbaani.

10. Baba ji and Mata ji would always be found in Langar seva and never came a shortage in Guru ka Langar.

11. Baba ji was imprisoned in Ludhiana jail and thus joined Bhai sahib Randhir Singh ji. Baba ji kept the rehit of Sarbloh Bibek rigorously in jail and did not give up eating and cooking in Sarbloh.

12. Baba ji, after leaving for gur-puri, visited Bhai sahib in jail and shared his last Gurfateh.

13. Mata ji soon after also left for gur-puri.

14. Baba ji had no animosity with none. Baba ji even wished well for those who did not wish well for him. He done a benti to the sangat to arrange Akhand Paath sahib smagam to free a family member from bodily pain. The family member was reminded of an earlier promise to Guru sahib of offerings of money and thus, allowed the family member to fulfill his duty. The Jatha did the smagam for the family member of Baba ji upon Baba ji's request. The paaras kala of Siri Akhand Paath sahib cured the man instantly and the family member along with his entire family become Guru-valay and joined the Khalsa Panth.

15. Baba ji, unlike so many of us today, did not listen to praise of himself.

What amazing two jivans Bhai sahib Randhir Singh ji has shared with us in the first opening chapter. Nothing fazed Baba ji and Mata ji and even in jail, Baba ji did not give up on Guru sahib's hukams.

May Guru Sahib bless us with darshans of such gursikhs today and continue to bring Ranglay Sajjans in the Jatha that of the past.
Many thanks Amritvela jeeo for providing a wonderful summary and key points from the exemplary life of Baba Raam Singh jee and Mata Prem Kaur jee. Please continue re-reading Ranglay Sajjan and provide us with regular summaries as above.

Shukarguzaar,
Kulbir Singh
Bhai Sahib writes is Jail Chittian , that when he and Baba ji were thrown into jail . With their kakkars taken away by force from them. Bhai Sahib being jailed in the opposite cell of Baba Raam Singh ji , became filled with Bairaag seing Baba jis(in old age) condition.

Bhai Sahib must have loved them a lot, then he did not even feel sorry/sad for his own condition at that time.

Chota veer
The above is indeed an inspirational article.
However, one key point is worth pondering upon:

Their Anand Kaaraj was re-conduncted according to gurmat maryada after becoming Amritdhari at the Amrit sinchaar.

This is something that sure doesn't happen these days.
vaheguroo jee

what a beautiful heavenly couple.

read this of course a long time back in Bhai sahib's book.

good refresher.
What a beautiful couple! Truly the embodiment of the true husband and wife - one soul in two bodies, united in the love of seva and amrit bani.
Gusikhi is about total submission to Gurmat, and this is highlighted in this jeevani. Mata Prem Kaur was renamed according to gurmat maryada of taking hukamnama sahib from Guru Granth Sahib Jee's one and only saroop. Larivaar. This heavenly couple was also remarried in the presence of Guru Sahibs true saroop. They did not worry about what people would think of them being remarried or renamed. They only cared about pleasing Guru Sahib.

This is a hint for all of us who are doing dhill by using our manmat and not submitting to Gurmat. All of our Karaj's must be done in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee's pooran saroop, and if for whatever reason one of our karaj's were not done in the presence of Larivaar Saroop of Guru Granth Sahib jee, then they must be done again.

It should not be needed to say Larivaar Saroop of Guru Granth Sahib Jee, because there can be only one saroop of Guru Sahib. It is an insult to call padched Guru.
Vahegurooooo such a beautiful post. very inspiring!! =)
Audio file of this chapter: [www.akj.org]

Just beautiful.

One thing to note is that the English translation has missed out a lot of information from the original Punjabi text. For eg, Mata Prem Kaur ji fore-seeing Bhai Sahib & Singhs holding Saffajangs dressed in Gurmukhi bana arriving their house for langar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login