ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Balancing her future with dexterity

Posted by News 
January 17, 2011 11:50AM
This article should prompt us to thank God for what we have.

Lovleen Bains

Doraha, January 16
Six-year-old Shhano is an epitome of utter poise as she balances herself on a wheel with the help of a long staff on the rope. She is neither crazy nor loves to perform such frightful acts for the sake of fun. “It is just for the sake of empty stomach,” she says.

What is a school and how it looks like? She neither has time nor money to ponder about. “What is the use of lamenting over such things which are out of ones reach? Moreover, I have been brought up like this. Penury has been my mother and wants my father. I have no relation, but with poverty and starvation. Pushed to work since infancy, I have neither known what childhood is and how it shall pass? I have been kept busy, by ill fate, in arranging food for my empty stomach,” she cries.

(A small girl puts her life to risk for the sake of a paltry sum of money. Photo by writer)

Asked whether she is aware that small children are not allowed to work, she quipped, “Yes, I have heard that child labour is banned. If it is so it is really unfortunate. If I am not allowed to work, what shall I do after all? Who would feed me? I would die of hunger. I have no one whom I can call my own.”

Lamenting over her adversity she uttered, “I daily find children of my age playing and going to school. How fortunate they are! God has really bestowed them with happiness- the love of their parents, a cozy home to live in, comforts to celebrate life and opportunities to shine and make life beautiful. I always curse God, who has given me nothing for making me so. Sometimes, when I am not able to earn enough and have to sleep empty stomach, I really feel I was not born on this earth. Here the people are hostile, they are heartless. They would watch the show and walk away. They are not even ready to pay for the hard work done by you. This show of mine demands dexterity and precision and you could go wrong only at the cost of your life. But a reward is seldom given in return. Most of the onlookers just watch the show and return to the work they were doing, least bothered about the labour and effort involved.” Spectators admitted that the task, which the tiny girl was performing, was in no way a simple one. Even the grown ups would think twice before engaging themselves in such tedious and risky endeavour, but the girl was doing it with such adroitness that everyone was left tongue tied.

“But this is a crime for which Shhano cannot be held responsible in any way. Rather it is the government, the policy makers and the administrators, who force the tiny souls to work and that too at the cost of their lives. No rules, whatsoever, can work in this direction till the government takes some solid steps to ban child labour. It is obligatory for the rulers to rescue millions of Shhanos, who are forced into work not because of choice but due to adverse circumstances,” a bystander said.

What is school like?

What is a school and how does it look like? She neither has money nor time to ponder. “What is the use of lamenting over things which are out of one’s reach? Moreover, I have been brought up like this. I live in poverty and starvation. Pushed to work since infancy, I have neither known what childhood is, nor do I know how it shall pass? I have spent my life so far meeting two ends meet. It has been struggle arranging food for my empty stomach,” she cries.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
"I always curse God, who has given me nothing for making me so."
Waheguru...Waheguru... Bless me that I may never forgot how sweet your will is..
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login