ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Swearing and use of slang amongst Amritdhaaris

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Swearing and use of slang amongst Amritdhaaris
January 17, 2011 09:57AM
Dass has noticed of a very big increase of the number of Amritdhaaris (both old and young) that swear quite a bit and use alot of slang. Some swear to the extent that dass has found much better sangat within non Sikhs. The main types of people that brag about this and "inspire" some of the youth to carry this on are groups like 'Sikh Unit' etc. Dass has a few pictures of 'Sikhs' that records those tracks in night clubs, smoking, doing inappropriate things.

Dass has tried to approach these types of peope with nothing but Pyaar but unfortuantely they do not wish to listen and see swearing and slang (and i quote) "as an art form". I have given them countless Gurbani Tuks yet it makes no difference, they think i am looking down at them or harrassing them.

Any Guroo Pyareo have any ideas for positive Parchaar we can do to defeat this as this is an increasing problem! Dass would post up example of things that Amritdhaaris say/post but would not want to take your Dhiaan away from Guroo.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Leave them and stay away from them, they will make you like them in the long run so get away before it happens. let the law of karma teach them in time.
It is Guru Sahib’s Hukam to stay quiet if speaking would result in a defeat.

ਜਿਥੈ ਬੋਲਣਿ ਹਾਰੀਐ ਤਿਥੈ ਚੰਗੀ ਚੁਪ ॥੨॥

A very funny Punjabi folk tale has come to mind. There was once a traveller who arrived at a village on his way. He was very hungry and knocked at a door. An old woman opened the door and he requested her, “O Mayee, I am a traveller and very hungry; could you please cook these rice for me?

The good old lady without hesitation welcomed him in and placed his rice in a pateela with water to boil. The traveller had a bad habit of talking too much and when he did not have anything meaningful to say, he talked nonsense. He sat quietly for a short while but the silence was killing him. He started the conversation as follows:

“Mayee, I notice that the main door of your house is kind of narrow and your buffalo is quite big. I am wondering, how would you get the dead body of the buffalo out, in case she died.”

People who have rural background know that cows and buffaloes are the most prized possessions of people from villages. The old lady was naturally very perturbed and irritatingly replied, “Son say good and don’t speak evil. Why should my buffalo die?”

There was some silence for some time and now again the traveller could no longer restrain himself. He asked the old lady, “Mayee, where is your husband? I don’t see him anywhere.”

The old lady sadly replied, “son he died a short while ago.”

The stupid traveller jokingly said, “it is good that the old man died; otherwise he would have given you hard time” (ਚੰਗਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਕਿ ਬੁੱਢਾ ਮਰ ਗਿਆ। ਜੀਊਂਦਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਤਾਂ ਉਸਨੇ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਤੰਗ ਹੀ ਕਰਨਾ ਸੀ।) This traveller said so because he had always seen his father and mother fighting and thought that all couples fought like that.

Naturally, the old lady was very disturbed but she kept quiet. With difficulty she controlled her anger. Because of anger, she started stirring rice vigorously but the stupid traveller still did not get the message.

After a short while he again asked the old lady, “Mayee, don’t you have any children?”

“Of course I do. My son has gone to a far off land on a business trip. He will be coming soon.”

``Mayee, what would happen if your son died in foreign land? What would become of you?”

This was too much for the old lady to take. She took hold of the utensil with half cooked rice and poured it in his palla (a piece of cloth like hazooria, around the neck) and ordered him to get out of her house.

While he was walking on the street, water from half-cooked rice was dripping down. Someone asked him what was it that was dripping down his palla. The traveller replied saying that it was the Rass of his tongue that he failed to control, that was dripping down.

The moral of the story is to speak good and speak after thinking.

Gurbani has several references about thinking before speaking. It is Gurbani Hukam to speak good as opposed to speaking bad.

ਜਿਥੈ ਜਾਇ ਬਹੀਐ ਭਲਾ ਕਹੀਐ ਝੋਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਜੈ ॥
Where ever a Gursikh goes, he says only good and by effort he japps Naam and drinks Amrit.

ਮੰਦਾ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਆਖਿ ਝਗੜਾ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥
Dont create a conflict by calling anyone bad. In Siri Asa ki Vaar too there is a Hukam that instructs us to not call anyone bad.

ਜਿਥੈ ਜਾਇ ਬਹੀਐ ਭਲਾ ਕਹੀਐ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਲਿਖਾਈਐ ॥
Where ever a Gursikh goes, he says only good and in his Surthee he only writes Shabad i.e. his Surthee stays merged in Shabad.

These Hukams instruct us to not indulge ourselves in unnecessary conflicts by speaking rudely or by speaking such words that instigate conflict. This does not mean that a Sikh should be unconcerned about injustice or atrocities and should be quiet about them. Of course a Khalsa would speak up against injustice and would act to stop injustice. The above Hukams are relevant to everyday personal situations that prompt us to become bitter about others and slander others. So long as we don’t stop getting into conflicts, we would not be able to concentrate on Naam.

Below is a beautiful Kabit of Bhai Gurdaas jee on this topic:

ਜੈਸੇ ਬਾਨ ਧਨੁਖ ਸਹਿਤ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਨਿਜ ਬਸ
ਛੂਟਤਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਫੁਨ ਜਤਨ ਸੈ ਹਾਥ ਜੀ ॥
ਜੈਸੇ ਬਾਘ ਬੰਧਸਾਲਾ ਬਿਖੈ ਬਾਧ੍ਯੋ ਰਹੈ, ਪੁਨ
ਖੁਲੈ ਤੋ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਸ , ਬਸਹਿ ਨ ਸਾਥ ਜੀ ॥
ਜੈਸੇ ਦੀਪ ਦਿਪਤ ਨ ਜਾਨੀਐ ਭਵਨ ਬਿਖੈ
ਦਾਵਾਨਲ ਭਏ ਨ ਦੁਰਾਏ ਦੁਰੈ ਨਾਥ ਜੀ ॥
ਤੈਸੇ ਮੁਖ ਮਧ ਬਾਣੀ ਬਸਤ ਨ ਕੋਊ ਲਖੈ
ਬੋਲੀਐ ਬਿਚਾਰ, ਗੁਰਮਤਿ, ਗੁਨ ਗਾਥ ਜੀ ॥630॥

1. So long as the arrow is in the bow, it is under control but once it leaves the bow, it no longer stays under control .

2. So long as a tiger is in cage, it is under control but once it leaves the cage it does not stay under control and does not reside in a domestic setting.

3. So long as the lamp (deeva) is in the house, it is not even noticeable from the outside but once this Deepak (lamp) lights a forest and becomes a form of forest fire, it cannot be hidden even if one tries to hide it.

4. So long as our thoughts remain within our mind or mouth, they are fine but once our thoughts come out in form of words, they cant be controlled, so speak after thinking, speak according to Gurmat and speak only good qualities (of others).

Giving many examples, Bhai Sahib Gurdaas jee has concluded that a Gursikh should speak after thinking, speak according to Gurmat i.e. speak sweetly and speak such thoughts that bring happiness for the speaker and the listener. A very good verse from Bhagat Kabir jees baani that is not in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee and this Daas learned in school, goes as follows:

ਐਸੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਬੋਲੀਏ, ਮਨ ਕਾ ਆਪਾ ਖੋਏ। ਔਰਨ ਕੋ ਸ਼ੀਤਲ ਕਰੇ, ਆਪੋਂ ਸ਼ੀਤਲ ਹੋਏ।
It basically says that we should speak such speech that gives us peace and others peace as well.

Does Gurbani promote talking Rudely

Some Gursikh advocate speaking rudely based on couple of Pankitis from Gurbani. Presented below are the two pankitis that many individuals quote when justifying their rude speech:

1. ਜੇ ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਭੁਲਿ ਚੁਕਿ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਭੀ ਖਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਣੇ ॥

2. ਜਿਨ੍ ਪਟੁ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਗੁਦੜੁ ਤੇ ਭਲੇ ਸੰਸਾਰਿ ॥

About first pankiti they say that it means that even if Gursikhs speak rudely, still they are acceptable to Vaheguru. Second pankiti is interpreted as ones who are like silk from inside and like rough cotton from outside, are good people in this world i.e. ones who are sweet from inside and are rude from outside are good.

Now let`s do Vichaar of these Pankitis in the light of Gurmat:

ਜੇ ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਭੁਲਿ ਚੁਕਿ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਭੀ ਖਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਣੇ ॥

The idea behind this Pankiti is that only Vaheguru and Guru Sahib are perfect. The Gurmukhs who have love from Naam, are very wise individuals but even if they unwittingly make a mistake while speaking, they are still acceptable to Vaheguru. Speaking Bhul Chuk should not be interpreted as speaking rudely. To speak rudely, one has to have some Krodh or Haume and these are the Vikaars that Gursikhs of high level don`t possess.

ਜਿਨ੍ ਪਟੁ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਗੁਦੜੁ ਤੇ ਭਲੇ ਸੰਸਾਰਿ ॥

Being silk from inside and rough cotton from outside does not mean to be sweet from inside and rude from outside. Silk represents riches and rough cotton represents simplicity. This Pankiti actually means that Gurmukhs are rich (kings) from inside but outwardly they stay simple. A Gursikh is wise from inside but acts Bhola from outside. A Gursikh is strong from inside but acts humble from outside. This is what this pankiti actually means as opposed to being rude from outside and sweet from inside.

Gursikhs are sweeter than honey and they follow the Guru`s Hukam of sweet and good talk.

May we always speak according to Gurmat.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
This is very true and I have noticed it quit a bit. Their r many gursikhs at my school and I have noticed that some of them swear a lot even more then non gursikhs and some of them even steal from the corner store. All these kids know is how to say khalsitan zindabad other than that they know nothing else about Sikhi.
when people say really horrible things, they feel like unseen bullets on the soul and brain.
If they dont stop swearing then don't do thier sangat.I think that you should try to build your friends
Interest in sikhi. First tell your friends to read bhai sahib bhai randhir Singh jees
Books and then guru sahib will show them a way to come in sikhi.

Guru sahib knows more.

Daas,
Khalsaji.

First tell your friends to read bhai sahib bhai randhir Singh jees Books

WAH! WAH!

WELL SAID KHALSA JI!
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sangat is a determining factor here - and not designating Saadh Sangat, but rather Sangat and Ku-Sangat. The Ku-Sangat - that one is often stuck in while at schools is a huge factor in bad language use. Many youth attending schools can attest to the fact that almost every other word out of their school peers' mouths are profanity. However gently you attempt to step in a puddle of mud, your foot will get muddy. I saw this myself when attending school - profanity becomes integrated into your speech subtly, and before you know it, you sound like a hip hop artist. The bad habits that go along will also begin to integrate themselves into your psyche the more time that is spent with Ku-Sangat.

Minimizing contact with such people, being in Saadh Sangat will remove this. The Saadh Sangat, with its propensity to do good and speak sweetly will facilitate this - to what extent is up to the level of devotion of the Gursikh to be more of a Gursikh. Obviously, school cannot be avoided, but ensuring that it is balanced with good Sangat where such speech is not present (and most importantly AT HOME, no profanity should be present) should provide at least a counter-balance to such speech.

One thing - to merely lock away (i.e. the person has no choice in their Sangat) a person in Saadh Sangat will not itself guarantee that one will be a Gursikh outright. There is a reason that GurParsaad is in the Mool Mantar. There are stories from khalsa schools, where Banaa and Baani are heavily integrated into the daily activities, but still the youth end up dating and engaging in other non-Gursikh activities - such is the influence of Kalyugi society. The person who actually DESIRES and WANTS to be a Gursikh and follow the Rehat and become more and more of a Gursikh will seek out the Sangat and make an effort to embody the ideals voluntarily and with zeal. This is the Kirpa of Akaal Purakh/Guru Sahib that they put Gursikhs on the Sikh Maarag. Otherwise, for those whose Guru Sahib's Kirpa-filled hand is not present, they are to play out their fate as it was written.

On a practical level, bring this up with elders that the youth respect and listen to in the community. Inform the parents on a public forum. Have it announced in the Gurudwaras to the youth and the parents. If there are youth workshops/camps, have this brought up. Only when the problem is brought to light, awareness is raised to this blight and the problem is addressed will it be mitigated. Any youth leaders in the community should make it a point to stop such language on the spot. Rinse and repeat - profanity takes time to integrate into one's language and will take time to rid of from speech.
ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਕਤ ਸੰਗੁ ਨ ਕੀਜੀਐ ਦੂਰਹਿ ਜਾਈਐ ਭਾਗਿ ॥
kabeer sakath sang n keejeeai dhoorehi jaeeai bhag ||
Kabeer, do not associate with the faithless cynics; run far away from them.
1 ਅਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਗੁਟਕਾ: ਪੰਨਾ ੭੦੭ ਪੰ. ੭
Salok Bhagat Kabir Page:707 Line: 7

ਬਾਸਨੁ ਕਾਰੋ ਪਰਸੀਐ ਤਉ ਕਛੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਦਾਗੁ ॥੧੩੧॥
basan karo paraseeai tho kashh lagai dhag ||131||
If you touch a vessel stained with soot, some of the soot will stick to you. ||131||
2 ਅਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਗੁਟਕਾ: ਪੰਨਾ ੭੦੭ ਪੰ. ੮
Salok Bhagat Kabir Page:707 Line: 8
i think that using slang is ok because people dont like typing full words(like i am now)
but swearing is not appropriate for sikhs, its reealy rudde

Sukhsehaj Kaur

but swearing is not appropriate for sikhs, its reealy rudde
WELL SAID
AGREED 100% smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileyhot smiley
if they don't listen to u!! stay away from them and
warn the other amritdhaaris about this!!...so swearing
does not grow!!..but might decrease with guru jees kirpa!!

--
preetkhalsa
Just was going thru some threads as i had some serious pent up anger inside me which i wanted to resolve - this thread in particular the quotes mentioned above by Kulbir Singh jee was extremely was a helpful reminder.
Very well written Veerji.Somehow i missed to read earlier. Its so true.

ਜੇ ਅਸੀਂ ਝਾਤ ਮਾਰੀਏ ਤਾਂ ੯੦+% ਸਾਡੇ ਨਿਤ ਦੇ ਵਾਦ-ਵਿਵਾਦ ਮੁਖ ਚੋਂ ਨਿਕਲੇ ਬੋਲ-ਕਬੋਲਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਉਪਜਦੇ ਹਨ || ਕੁਝ ਬੋਲ ਐਸੇ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜਿਨਾ ਨੂੰ ਸੁਣ ਕੇ ਸਰੋਤੇ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਬੁਲਾਰੇ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰਤੀ ਪਿਆਰ ਦਾ ਫੁਹਾਰਾ ਪਰਗਟ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਦੂਸਰੇ ਪਾਸੇ ਕੁਝ ਬੋਲੇ ਹੋਏ ਬੋਲ ਉਲਟਾ ਕੰਮ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਭਾਵ ਜਿਨਾ ਨਾਲ ਆਪਸੀ ਰਿਸਤੇ ਵਿਗੜਦੇ ਹਨ ਤੇ ਜਿੰਦਗੀ ਲਈ ਦੁਸ਼ਮਨੀਆਂ ਪੈ ਜਾਂਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ || ਇਸ ਕਰਕੇ ਇਹ ਬਹੁਤ ਜਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ ਅਸੀਂ ਕਿ ਬੋਲ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ ਸਾਡਾ ਉਸ ਤੇ ਪੂਰਾ ਕੰਟ੍ਰੋਲ ਹੋਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਕੇ ਸਾਡੇ ਬੋਲਾਂ ਨਾਲ ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ ਨਾ ਤੇ ਦਿਲ ਦੁਖੇ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਓਹਦੇ ਔਰ ਸਾਡੇ ਵਿਚ ਕੋਈ ਦੂਰੀ ਪਵੇ ||

ਹੇਠ ਲਿਖੀਆਂ ਤੁਕਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਸਵਾਲ ਭਾਵੇਂ ਇਕ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਪਰ ਏਨਾ ਵਿਚ ਵਰਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਲਫਜ਼ ਜਮੀਨ-ਅਸਮਾਨ ਦਾ ਫ਼ਰਕ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰ ਦੇਂਦੇ ਹਨ ||

੧) ਓਹ ਤੇਰੇ ਪਿਤਾ ਜੀ ਹਨ ||
੨) ਓਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਮਾਂ ਦਾ ਖ਼ਸਮ ਹੈ ||

Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee fateh!
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

This is a very good thread.Swearing and people who swear should be avoided. I'm 45 yrs old and an amritdhari singh. I made a big mistake a little over a year ago. My anger got the worst of me. I ended up swearing at another singh. It was totally uncalled for and i still haven't apologised but plan on doing that real soon.It was wrong.....Its important to read gurbani and have good sangat but always do ardas and beg for Guru ji's kirpa. Bhai Kulbir Singh and ms514.....wonderful articles.Bhul chuk maaf karni....

daas kanwaldeep singh
Forgiveness is a Gurmat based virtue.
It is important to realize it and practice it.

Anger & emotions get the most of us sometimes, be it an elder, a youngster or an equal in age.
We should all strive to practice love and compassion, it's what guroo sahib taught us.

Anger and hate only drag us down, trust me, daas is just as guilty of it.
In gurbaanee, guroo sahib refers to this as "Khimaa Shingaar"

Khimaa acts as a Shingaar and attracts Akaal Purakh's attention to us.
Forgiving & being forgiven bring a very unique joy, Especially when maintaining sanjog with gursikhs.

Gurbani also speaks of "mith bolaraah jee" Apaan Saray Mithaa Boliyaa Kariye =)
Then there is the english saying "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything al all"
Anger outbursts might win us a specific battle, but we end up losing the war of life very tragically.

I say we all use this forum, as a reminder to make amends with people and smile at them the next time we see them.

Vaheguru
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login