ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chating on computer

Posted by khalsaji 
Chating on computer
January 16, 2011 01:40PM
I really want to know that why do people chat on computer?
Why don't they talk on phone?
I think this is a waste of time.

Plz give me some information.

Daas,
Khalsaji.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Chating on computer
January 16, 2011 03:05PM
Costs more!?
January 16, 2011 03:23PM
Khalsa Ji's question is one remarkable one!
Chatting on the internet takes up a lot of time. Once you get into the habit, it is hard to cut back, stop. One could sit for hours.
I think it should be stopped, rather the time should be spent doing Naam Abhiyaas/Khanda Kharrkauna/reading Baani/doing Paatth.
January 16, 2011 04:47PM
This is what I don't understand.
January 16, 2011 04:54PM
your right jaspreet singh jee.

daas,
khalsaji.
January 16, 2011 05:17PM
This has been extensively discussed more than once on this forum.
January 16, 2011 06:48PM
I'm new to this forum so I dont no where did you
disscus about this.

Daas,
Khalsaji.
January 16, 2011 07:00PM
Where was this discussed.
January 16, 2011 07:11PM
Some other subjects

Daas,
Khalsaji.
January 16, 2011 07:37PM
talking online is alright, if what your talking about is good. other than that, find another hobby! eye rolling smiley
January 18, 2011 09:39AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

1) Multi-tasking - you can chat, browse websites, read the news, watch a video and listen to audio all at the same time from the same machine. And all this you can do while communicating with multiple people simultaneously.

2) The "In" Thing - chatting with friends on Facebook/MSN/Skype is the cool thing to do - phones are "old skool" and only allow for audio. Internet allows you to post pictures, video, status updates and generally waste time in a more comprehensive manner.

3) Devolving Of Society's Communication Abilities - the world is les and less social and face to face these days. People prefer hiding behind technology for communication rather than face to face interaction. "Everything" can be done online, so why bother making the effort to communicate in person. People in the same house at times will message each other online rather than go talk face to face.

4) Laziness - part of #3, why bother to make a physical effort to go and talk to someone when you have a computer/cell phone in front of you all the time - just message them on the internet.

Some things off the top of my head. As a Gursikh said, Maya serves those who use it for Gurmat, but makes servants of those who are stuck in it. The internet can be used to do huge amounts of good (after all, this website is on the internet, as well as many others) IF it is used for Gurmat. The problem is that the Internet presents a whole array of temptation and manmat that is very difficult to resist. Internet chatting and whatnot is all a part of that - if you chat for Gurmat, then great. If you chat and get stuck in manmat - you will compound your manmat by multitasking it.
January 19, 2011 11:21AM
It is always better to listen than chat.......
January 20, 2011 08:18AM
KhalsaJi,

I get the "feeling" that you don't use MSN often. But, sometimes it's just more convenient, especially for school work, jobs, etc. It can actually be a handing tool, and using the phone may not always be the "right" device to use at the moment. For example, if you need to ask a quick question, it's easier to just ask on MSN or something else, other than calling up that person. Also, most people (even those who don't use MSN) only use the phone if they need to have a discussion; in other words, it's not a quick question. Because phones cost more, people try to make use of the time, and continue a conversation. This could also happen on MSN, but it's more likely to happen on the phone, just because phones are usually meant for a talk that lasts more than just a minute.
I do agree that MSN has it's disadvantages, but look at the advantages as well. smiling smiley

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
January 20, 2011 08:41AM
As already mentioned above by many gurmukhs,

all the mentioned tools are good for keeping in touch with gursikhs around the world.

a cost effective and a quick method (msn, facebook)

however, when one starts resorting to these facilites for "time pass"

that's when you need to wake up and stop.

Useful indeed, but don't use these things to simply pass time.
January 20, 2011 12:18PM
when i started getting into sikhi i didn't have any sangat and didn't no much, so i startted adding random singhs and singhnian on facebook and i started to get to no singhs and that helped me with my sikhi. if i didn't have facebook i wouldn't have been a singh maybe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login