ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why do we like to sin?

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Why do we like to sin?
February 02, 2010 01:55PM
Why do we like to sin?

Why are sinful activities pleasure-giving?

Why is it that things that our mind likes to do are harmful to us and things that we have to force ourselves to do are good for us? Amritvela and Naam Abhyaas is good for us but we have to literally force ourselves to do it.

The foods that are supposedly good for us don't taste that good but foods that we love to eat are said to be harmful to us because they cause cholesterol, blood pressure and other such ailments.

Our mind likes to keep status quo. The acts that it has been doing for ages and ages, over countless lifeforms it has lived, are like second nature to it. On the other hand, the sacred work of chanting of Naam or getting up at Amritvela are acts that we have not been doing all this time and have just started doing. For this reason, they are hard to do. In other words, the mind likes to do such acts that it is habitual of doing.

If we want our mind to stop doing sinful activities, we would have to force it to make it a habit to not sin. Once we consciously start stopping it from indulging in sinful activities, after some time, it understands and develops a habit of not doing sinful activities. If we make a conscious effort to sleep early and get up at Amritvela, sooner or later, our mind will develop a habit sleeping early and getting up early. It will start enjoying this activity. Till it enjoys chanting Naam and hating sin, we have to make conscious efforts towards this goal.

Sant Attar Singh jee Mastuanewale once said that if the jeev can give lust for ਪਰਾਇਆ ਦਮੜਾ ਅਤੇ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਚਮੜਾ it would constitute almost half of his Bhagti. ਦਮੜਾ means money and ਚਮੜਾ means skin but Sant jee here is referring to the skin of the opposite sex. ਪਰਾਇਆ means something that does not belong to you.

If the jeev stops coveting ਦਮੜਾ that does not belong to it and stays happy with what it has, so much of the wandering of the mind would stop. Same way, it seems as if the creatures are pre-programmed to look at and covet ਪਰਾਇਆ ਚਮੜਾ i.e. to desire the member of opposite sex. If it can't have the object of its desire, then it keeps staring at it. This person beholding ਪਰਾਇਆ ਚਮੜਾ does not achieve anything tangible but only increases his lust.

Apart from ਪਰਾਇਆ ਦਮੜਾ ਅਤੇ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਚਮੜਾ, other sinful activities the jeev likes to indulge in are talking ill about others, jealousy, backbiting etc. What does the jeev achieve by slandering others? Nothing at all but the jeev just loves to talk ill about people he does not like or from whom he is jealous. May Guru Sahib save us from committing sins. Until we stop committing sins, we cannot rise spiritually.

Below is a shabad from great Baani - Oankaar (Mukhvaak of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee), that talks about Sin and Sinners:

ਪਾਪੁ ਬੁਰਾ ਪਾਪੀ ਕਉ ਪਿਆਰਾ ॥
ਪਾਪਿ ਲਦੇ ਪਾਪੇ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥
ਪਰਹਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਆਪੁ ॥
ਨਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਸੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਸੰਤਾਪੁ ॥
ਨਰਕਿ ਪੜੰਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਰਹੈ ਕਿਉ ਬੰਚੈ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ॥
ਕਿਉ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਝੂਠੁ ਬੁਰਾ ਖੈ ਕਾਲੁ ॥
ਮਨੁ ਜੰਜਾਲੀ ਵੇੜਿਆ ਭੀ ਜੰਜਾਲਾ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਕਿਉ ਛੂਟੀਐ ਪਾਪੇ ਪਚਹਿ ਪਚਾਹਿ ॥੩੮॥

Humble Vichaar on the above Pauri: Sin is bad but it is dear to the sinner. The sinner is loaded with sin and everywhere he spreads sin. But if he stops commiting sin and realizes the self, then he would have no sorrow and separation. But if he does not stop sinning, how can he avoid falling in hell and how can he avoid the noose of the messanger of death (Jammdoot)? How can he avoid coming and going (taking birth and dying) from this world. So long as he does not stop lying and sinning, he will continued to be destroyed by Kaal (death). So long as the mind is stuck in the chains / bonds of Maya, the Jeev (creature) will stay stuck in these bonds. How can one be emancipated without Naam? Without Naam one himself drowns in sins and causes others to be stuck as well.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Why do we like to sin?
February 02, 2010 05:20PM
This reminded me of the Shabad in which Guru Ji mentions how the mind has a strong desire/pull to do bad, but avoids doing good. I cant remember the pangti from the top of my head?sad smiley
February 03, 2010 05:43AM
When siree guroo sahib jee does kirpa, we will have that bhau to not do such things, because Vaheguroo Jee is watching all the time. Also hearing gurmat updesh will stop one from going any further, if is written that the person will follow the updesh.
ਠਾਕੁਰੁਸਰਬੇਸਮਾਣਾ ॥
Our Lord and Master is all-pervading everywhere.

ਇਸੁਦੇਹੀਅੰਦਰਿਪੰਚਚੋਰਵਸਹਿਕਾਮੁਕ੍ਰੋਧੁਲੋਭੁਮੋਹੁਅਹੰਕਾਰਾ॥
Within this body dwell the five thieves: sexual desire, anger, greed, emotional attachment and egotism.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁਲੂਟਹਿਮਨਮੁਖਨਹੀਬੂਝਹਿਕੋਇਨਸੁਣੈਪੂਕਾਰਾ॥
They plunder the Nectar, but the self-willed manmukh does not realize it; no one hears his complaint.

ਅੰਧਾਜਗਤੁਅੰਧੁਵਰਤਾਰਾਬਾਝੁਗੁਰੂਗੁਬਾਰਾ॥2॥
The world is blind, and its dealings are blind as well; without the Guru, there is only pitch darkness. ||2||

ਹਉਮੈਮੇਰਾਕਰਿਕਰਿਵਿਗੁਤੇਕਿਹੁਚਲੈਨਚਲਦਿਆਨਾਲਿ॥
Indulging in egotism and possessiveness, they are ruined; when they depart, nothing goes along with them.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿਹੋਵੈਸੁਨਾਮੁਧਿਆਵੈਸਦਾਹਰਿਨਾਮੁਸਮਾਲਿ॥
But one who becomes Gurmukh meditates on the Naam, and ever contemplates the Lord's Name
February 03, 2010 11:15AM
But what about manmukhs like me? Who say “hunn dhhey peya tere dvaare”, and then continue to sin, thinking its His raza that I am doing sin? What about moorakhs like me who say, Vaheguru jee, jo karauna karaayee jaao, and then do sins assuming that Vaheguru jee is making me commit them? What about bhekhi Singhs like me, who are light years away from Naam, who try sometimes but give up easily and let the 5 demons thrash the mind and soul?
February 04, 2010 10:01AM
Veer Mehtab Singh jee, you wrote that your Punjabi reading is weak but here is a short response to your message in Punjabi. Bhul chuk dee maafi jee:

ਕਈ ਜਨਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਰਮਾਂ ਕਾਰਨ, ਇਹ ਮਨ ਹੋਇਆ ਕਾਲਾ ਸਿਆਹ।
ਤਕੜੇ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੋਈ ਛੁੱਟਣ ਦਾ ਰਾਹ।

ਫਲਸਫੇ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਜਪ ਤੂੰ, ਰਹਿਤ ਵਿਚ ਹੋ ਪਰਪੱਕ ਵੀਰਾ;
ਚੜੂ ਚਵਗਣ ਵੰਨ ਇਲਾਹੀ, ਸਾਰੀ ਦੁਨੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਤੂੰ ਬਣੇਗਾ ਸ਼ਾਹ।

ਬਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਅੱਗੇ ਗੋਡੇ ਟੇਕਣੇ, ਇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ੇਰ;
ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਦਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਲੈਕੇ, ਕੱਢ ਲੈਂਦੇ ਉਹ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਾਹ।

ਬੁੱਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਤੋਂ ਕੱਢ ਕੇ, ਹੱਕ ਪ੍ਰਸਤੀ ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਪੜਾਇਆ;
ਐਸੇ ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਧਿਆਨ ਧਰਕੇ, ਕਰਦਾ ਰਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰ ਵਾਹ।

Kulbir Singh
February 04, 2010 12:24PM
i get confused when i see things like this:

ਚੰਗੈ ਮੰਦੈ ਆਪਿ ਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਸੋ ਕਰਨਿ ਜਿ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਾਏ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
He Himself enjoins them to good and bad; they do only that which the Creator Lord causes them to do. ||2||

do we sin because we want to, or do we sin because waheguru makes us sin? do we really have any control over it?
February 04, 2010 02:45PM
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i get confused when i see things like this:
>
>
> ਚੰਗੈ ਮੰਦੈ ਆਪਿ
> ਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਸੋ ਕਰਨਿ ਜਿ
> ਆਪਿ ਕਰਾਏ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ
> ॥੨॥
> He Himself enjoins them to good and bad; they do
> only that which the Creator Lord causes them to
> do. ||2||
>
> do we sin because we want to, or do we sin because
> waheguru makes us sin? do we really have any
> control over it?

This is a difficult question. Persoanlly I feel God gives us a choice to do good or bad. Thats why in Gurbani we are advised to do good. If we are already going to do good or bad then why would Guru Ji advise us to do good. Its our choice to follow Gurus hukum.

I think a person does according to his understanding or relationship with God. People commit Sins or Good deeds depending on how close they are to God and vice versa people are close to God depending on their good and bad deeds. So we do have a choice to work hard spritually and get close to God.
February 04, 2010 04:35PM

do we sin because we want to, or do we sin because waheguru makes us sin? do we really have any control over it?

The details of how this world is run are known only to Vaheguru or that person whom he enables to understand. Who is causing us to do or why are we doing something is not relevant but what is relevant is that we are sinning and we ought to stop doing so.

A person was travelling in a jungle on a dark rainy night. He stood under a heavy tree to rest. A snake that was holding on tight to a branch of this tree, slipped and fell on the traveller. The traveller saw the snake around his neck and was horrified. Now if this traveller starts thinking how the snake got there and how it fell upon him, he would be bitten by the snake. The utmost and the foremost thing to do is to remove the snake and somehow be safe. The same way, at this point the issue is to stop sinning, start chanting the Gurmat Naam and free ourselves from Maya. Later when we are free, we will understand all about Maya.

Having said that, the big picture or in the eye of a Brahmgyani, all that exists is Vaheguru and all are one with Vaheguru. At that avastha, all is being done by Vaheguru and Vaheguru alone is on the both sides of the rope. This is why we have pankitis like:

ਨਹ ਕਿਛੁ ਜਨਮੈ ਨਹ ਕਿਛੁ ਮਰੈ ॥
Nothing is born, and nothing dies.

ਆਪਨ ਚਲਿਤੁ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਕਰੈ ॥
He Himself stages His own drama.

Gurbani contains Hukams for people of all spiritual stages - from Grade 1 to PhD of Sikhi. The above hukam says that nothing is born and nothing dies. This Hukam is relevant to a Brahmgyani who has attained oneness with Vaheguru. Now if an ordinary person was to take this Hukam and stop doing anything believing that nothing is born and and nothing dies, what would happen of him? He would drown in this ocean of world. The relevant Hukams for us are chanting Naam, stopping sinful activity and obeying Hukams of Guru Sahib.

Kulbir Singh
February 05, 2010 06:00PM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
> ਕਈ ਜਨਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਰਮਾਂ
> ਕਾਰਨ, ਇਹ ਮਨ ਹੋਇਆ
> ਕਾਲਾ ਸਿਆਹ।
> ਤਕੜੇ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣ
> ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੋਈ
> ਛੁੱਟਣ ਦਾ ਰਾਹ।
>
> ਫਲਸਫੇ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਜਪ
> ਤੂੰ, ਰਹਿਤ ਵਿਚ ਹੋ
> ਪਰਪੱਕ ਵੀਰਾ;
> ਚੜੂ ਚਵਗਣ ਵੰਨ ਇਲਾਹੀ,
> ਸਾਰੀ ਦੁਨੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਤੂੰ
> ਬਣੇਗਾ ਸ਼ਾਹ।
>
> ਬਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਅੱਗੇ ਗੋਡੇ
> ਟੇਕਣੇ, ਇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ
> ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ੇਰ;
> ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਦਾ ਆਸਰਾ
> ਲੈਕੇ, ਕੱਢ ਲੈਂਦੇ ਉਹ
> ਇਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਾਹ।
>
> ਬੁੱਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਤੋਂ
> ਕੱਢ ਕੇ, ਹੱਕ ਪ੍ਰਸਤੀ
> ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਪੜਾਇਆ;
> ਐਸੇ ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਧਿਆਨ
> ਧਰਕੇ, ਕਰਦਾ ਰਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ
> ਗੁਰ ਵਾਹ।
>
> Kulbir Singh

Great poem!
February 05, 2010 09:38PM
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
> Veer Mehtab Singh jee, you wrote that your Punjabi
> reading is weak but here is a short response to
> your message in Punjabi. Bhul chuk dee maafi jee:
>
>
> ਕਈ ਜਨਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਰਮਾਂ
> ਕਾਰਨ, ਇਹ ਮਨ ਹੋਇਆ
> ਕਾਲਾ ਸਿਆਹ।
> ਤਕੜੇ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣ
> ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੋਈ
> ਛੁੱਟਣ ਦਾ ਰਾਹ।
>
> ਫਲਸਫੇ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਜਪ
> ਤੂੰ, ਰਹਿਤ ਵਿਚ ਹੋ
> ਪਰਪੱਕ ਵੀਰਾ;
> ਚੜੂ ਚਵਗਣ ਵੰਨ ਇਲਾਹੀ,
> ਸਾਰੀ ਦੁਨੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਤੂੰ
> ਬਣੇਗਾ ਸ਼ਾਹ।
>
> ਬਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਅੱਗੇ ਗੋਡੇ
> ਟੇਕਣੇ, ਇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ
> ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ੇਰ;
> ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਦਾ ਆਸਰਾ
> ਲੈਕੇ, ਕੱਢ ਲੈਂਦੇ ਉਹ
> ਇਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਾਹ।
>
> ਬੁੱਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਤੋਂ
> ਕੱਢ ਕੇ, ਹੱਕ ਪ੍ਰਸਤੀ
> ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਪੜਾਇਆ;
> ਐਸੇ ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਧਿਆਨ
> ਧਰਕੇ, ਕਰਦਾ ਰਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ
> ਗੁਰ ਵਾਹ।
>
> Kulbir Singh

Vaheguru!!!!
It took a few minutes to read, but I can't thank you enough Bhai Sahib ji
Thanks a million!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login