ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Langar Bhog

Posted by bsingh 
Langar Bhog
December 23, 2010 01:12AM
Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh _/\_

As we see generally that langar prepared for the sangat is brought in front of Guru Sahib and like Deg Prashad, kirpa bhet is also done with langar after the Ardass/Hukamnama.

Would request sangat to put some light on gurmat basis/history on why keeping langar in front of guru sahib jee and kirpan bhet ??

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh _/\_
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Langar Bhog
December 23, 2010 04:13AM
Bringing Langar in Guru Sahib's Darbar for Kirpan Bhet is seen mostly in Nanaksar influenced places. In Jatha and most Panth, this is not done and Ardaas for Langar is done in Rasoee itself. We don't see Langar taken to Siri Harmandir Sahib, Siri Akal Takhat or other Gurdwara Sahibaan. Only Degh is brought in Guru Sahib's Darbar.

Kulbir Singh
December 23, 2010 10:53AM
At the Gurdwaras I have been to, they bring a few spoonfuls of each dish prepared and do kirpan bhog to each, even to a glass of water, and then all of this goes back to the rasoee and mixed with the rest of the Langar. Not sure if its right or wrong because I don't have much giyaan on this.
December 23, 2010 11:42AM
I have mostly seen this tradition in Taksal/NanakSar influenced gurdwaras.
December 23, 2010 03:35PM
Sikh Rehit Maryada:

d. Anything except the a fore-mentioned reverential ceremonies, for instance, such practices as the arti with
burning incense and lamps, offering of eatables to Guru Granth Sahib, burning of lights, beating of gongs,
etc., is contrary to gurmat (the Guru’s way). However, for the perfuming of the place, the use of flowers,
incense and scent is not barred. For light inside the room, oil or butter-oil lamps, candles, electric lamps,
kerosene oil lamps, etc. may be lighted.
December 23, 2010 04:49PM
May be in Langar Hall or in Kitchen; we do see ARDAAS and KIRPAN BHET of Langar with Jatha singhs. It is also seen alongwith KARAH PARSAAD (in the Hazoori) though not as frequent. May be it depends on the situation. If Langar is ready, only near the end of the programme and Langar Hall is not far away; then it is convenient to have a single Ardaas. Generally what I see, Langar is ready and Ardaas & Krpaan Bhet is done in the kitchen itself, so that it can be served before the actual SAMAPATI of the prgramme. Veer Ji to please correct the observation.

As regards the relevance of the practice; I think, it is same as of Karah Parsaad.

Recently a friend told me that a hindu priest once remarked that in Harminder Sahib, you (sikhs) bring PARSAAD and take it back for distribution simply after a Kirpan Bhet. You do not present it to your God. He wanted to tell that in the temples, hindus take PARSAAD to the mouth of diety. According to him, this is actual method of BHOG.

We would certainly like to say that our practice of ARDAAS and KIRPAAAN BHET is different and more meaningful than what they do in temples. Anyway, it is sometimes difficult to explain our practice of Kirpaan Bhet and Ardaas to non believers or so defined liberal sikhs also.

Bhagat Dhana Ji was able to see the LORD enjoy the food prepared by him. The sakhi says that, he was given a THAKUR ( A stone as diety) by a priest. Bhagat Ji in his innocence, stopped taking his meals, untill the THAKUR took the food. And the miracle happened. God was there to eat the food.

So it is the devotion, which matters.

In case of Kirpaan Bhet, what I feel, we request the blessings of Guru Sahib before taking the food. Kirpaan is no less than a God for us. It is our PEER. So Guru Sahib, through Kirpaan Bhet, gives us permission and blessings for taking the food. He touches our food. Some may call it a ritual. But this ritual is meaningful for us, as long as we have the feeling attached with it. We have no better way of requesting HIS touch to my food.

This is what I understand from this practice. Not only in case of Langar, I have heard of ladies, who prepare food for the family and do ARDAAS and Kirpaan Bhet before serving it to the family.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji.
December 23, 2010 04:56PM
"Kirpaan is no less than a God for us. It is our PEER. So Guru Sahib, through Kirpaan Bhet, gives us permission and blessings for taking the food. He touches our food."

WaaheGuru.... smiling smiley
December 23, 2010 05:23PM
Guru Ka Sikh Sri Sahib Da Adab karey, Puja Kareh. Aaap Sahib Puja keeta heh. "Guru Ka Sikh "kard bheyt keeay bina, parshaad na chhakey.
A Sikh of the Guru should respect and worship Sri Sahib since Guru Sahib himself gives respect to weapons. If a Sikh of the Guru has not made offerings with his sword to the food then do not eat such food.
Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji

By doing bheyt for Sri Sahib we acknowledge Shakti and blessings ( kirpa) contained in Sri Sahib of a Gursikh.
The practice of doing Kirpan bhet is to give the final seal of Guru Ka Langar. Thus, kirpan bhet is a humble ardas to Guru Sahib in stating food has been prepared according to Maryada. Meaning langar has been made by Gurmukhs. There is a rehatnama by Bhai Daya Singh Ji that states one should not eat from those that are not ShasterDhari. So if one is not shasterDhari how can they do Kirpan Bhet. I have seen many non-Amrit Dharis come to darbar sahib get a a Sri Sahib out from the side and do bhet, but this does not seem right. For this reason I think kirpan is best done in langar hall by shaster-dhari Gurmukh.
December 23, 2010 06:03PM
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Khalsa Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

As we all know it was the Hukam of Guru Sahib that Pangat (Langar) was to be visited before Sangat and this Puratan Maryada still continue. It is very logical then that Langer should be started well before Guru Sahib Jee's Divaan start for which Langer have to be kirpaan Bhet in Langer itself. From historical point of view, during physical times of Guru Sahibs, they always ate the Langer in Langer hall with Pangat not in Darbaar Hall. I agree with Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee bringing Langer to Darbar hall is new innovation created by Nanaksar.

Sikh Rehit Maryada: d. Anything except the a fore-mentioned reverential ceremonies, for instance, such practices as the arti with burning incense and lamps, offering of eatables to Guru Granth Sahib, burning of lights, beating of gongs, etc., is contrary to gurmat (the Guru’s way). However, for the perfuming of the place, the use of flowers, incense and scent is not barred. For light inside the room, oil or butter-oil lamps, candles, electric lamps, kerosene oil lamps, etc. may be lighted.

Bhai tatKhalsa78 jio,

I think this eatable offerings are meant to be like people bring in things like sweets from bazzar like Barfi, Ladoo, Jamun etc. and ask Granthi Singh to do Kirpan Bhet, which is clearly Manmat that is why it mentioned not to do that. If it is meant to be any eatable offerings then SGPC Maryada should not have mentioned to do Kirpan Bhet:

"ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇ ਹਜ਼ੂਰ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਉੱਚੀ ਅਵਾਜ 'ਚ ਸੁਣਾ ਕੇ ਅਨੰਦ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀਆਂ ਪਹਿਲੀਆਂ ਪੰਜ ਪਉੜੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਅੰਤਲੀ ਇਕ ਪਉੜੀ ਦਾ ਪਾਠ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਵੇ ਅਤੇ ਅਰਦਾਸਾ ਸੋਧਿਆ ਜਾਵੇ ਤੇ ਪਰਵਾਨਗੀ ਲਈ ਕਿਰਪਾਨ ਭੇਟ ਹੋਵੇ।"Page 18

This will make Sikh Rahet Maryada self contradictory if we read your quote so literary, but that is not the case Kirpan Bhet is Maryada for both Degh and Langer. Daas observed both in Historical Gurudwara in back home town under the control of SGPC.

With Regards,
Daas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login