ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hairs that leave the body during combing

Posted by preet kokri 
what should be done with the hairs that go away from the body during combing? please answer anyone. i'm trying to get its answer since many months. and please elaborate.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Satkaar should be done of it. This is what I do, please correct me if I am wrong. You can collect the hair in a bag and then whenever you want you can do Satkar of it. Meaning that, do ardas to burn the hair. Then you can recite Sohila or Chaupee Sahib while burning the hair. After that you can bury it in your garden or wherever, and finish it off with another ardas.
what i can sat to u/ i'm myself ignorant. i just collect hair and burn afterwards after some days whenever time suits me. i'd never thought of prayers before or while burning. pls make this concept more clear.
The reason we treat hair with such respect/satkar of doing prayers is because to a Sikh it is the same as a sareer (body) dying. The hair is an essential part of the body as it is Vaheguru Jee's will to keep it and holds spiritual significance. Our Naam goes deep within our hair. We do ardas before and after burning a dead body, and do bania while it is burning. So, the same respect is given to our hair.

Dasam Granth tells a story of a prophet who was sent onto earth or pataals to move the demons (daiyt/danavs) away from Religion and Truth because the devtay were afraid the demons might become powerful enough to take over the akaasha (heavens), so the first thing the prophet preached to them was to cut their hair. The negative effect of cutting the demon's hair was that it disconnected them from a spiritual mat so they found it difficult to understand meditation on their mantar and the effect of the mantar was negative -

ਸਿਖਾ ਹੀਣ ਕੋਈ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਨ ਫੁਰੈ ॥ ਜੋ ਕੋਈ ਜਪੈ ਉਲਟ ਤਿਹ ਪਰੈ ॥੧੦॥
Those without hair or without the lock of hair on the crown of their heads could not remember any mantra and if anyone repeated the mantra, there was negative influence of the mantra on him.10.

I personally believe the devtai were fools because they could have been fair to the daiyt and danavs and allowed them to practice religion. There are good daiyts such as Prahlaad, Raja Bali, Vibhishana etc.
B.Singhji,
What if I have been simply throwing my hair in trash, despite seeing beautiful blue, yellow, silver colors on them when they fall out, please advise?
Also, it would not be easy for me to burn my hair due to living in an apt, and circumstances that would not enable me to burn hair even if I were to collect for future burning after necessary prayers, and ardas, unless Guru Sahib make it possible for me someday, or somehow despite my majboor, please?
ks jee,

Would it be possible for you to collect the kes for a few weeks and then go to a nearby park on the weekend in the early morning to do saskaar of the kes?

Preetam Singh
ks jee,

'seeing beautiful blue, yellow, silver colors on them when they fall out' - you must have very colourful hair, haha.

I doubt it would be allowed for anyone to burn anything in a public park. If it is completely impossible, maybe you could do ardas letting Guru Sahib know your situation and keep your hair in a separate carry bag for when you throw it in the trash. Do ardas every time you throw it away after collecting it in a bag. Guru Sahib will understand.
or you can just collect your hair in a seperate bag and then keep in a storage area...and then maybe couple year down the road when find a suitable time.....go burn it
Thanks for the humor B.Singh smiling smiley Colors are I assume darshan of Gurujio realm Gems, cause I see them a lot?
Bhaijio, thanks for your advise.
Preetam Singhjio, I will attempt to that or hold it as Bhaijio says till someday down the road...but for now, does anyone know the consequences of just throwing hair in trash, please?
Bhul chuk muaf
ks jee,

I am not sure about the specific outcome of throwing hairs into the trash, but am sure that it will have paap for doing so, how much or what kind is not known to me. We must respect our hair as much as possible even when it comes off of our body. Rest Guru Sahib knows exactly what is pleasing to him, we can only try our hardest.

Preetam Singh
Apart from doing Saskaar of Kesh, Gursikhs also like to do "Jal-Parvaah" of them as well, meaning throwing the fallen Kesh in the river, pond or lake. Maybe this would be a better option for KS Bhenji.

Jaspreet Singh

Colors are I assume darshan of Gurujio realm Gems, cause I see them a lot?

You are right, Gursikhs do experience colours of Naam in different ways and colourful gems/diamonds of Naam do exist.
Thank-you so much for all your feedback, and consequences for disobeying Gurujio Hukam.
I am not a Gursikh yet B.Singhji, just strangely blessed despite not being an amritdhari, but losing it now, and then with delaying taking amrit, and lack of discipline with amritvela, hair disposal, and mostly following gurmat bibek (using sabloh, eating only homemade food etc.).
ks jee, you are blessed to experience Naam in this life because you must have been an Amritdhari in your previous life. It's good you're trying your best to practice Gurmat. That's ok, take amrit when you feel you are ready to. If you need advice on maintaining a strict amritvela routine just ask.

Apart from doing Saskaar of Kesh, Gursikhs also like to do "Jal-Parvaah" of them as well, meaning throwing the fallen Kesh in the river, pond or lake. Maybe this would be a better option for KS Bhenji.

Actually this is not a sutiable method in disposing kes in modern day times. Many people through all kinds of things ( garbage, feces, etc) in river, ponds, and lakes. Putting kes in such a place is no different then putting kes in garbage. The best method is to burn the kes . I believe every Gurdwara Sahib should have a day when sangat collectively come together to burn fallen kes while reciting Gurbani, and educating monay about keeping kes, and the beauty of having kes. We regard kes as our primary ang and when fallen we give it a memorial service.
Thank-you B.Singhji,
I would appreciate advise on maintaining amritvela, but doubt it will help me, as the problem is with my lack of discipline.
Also, taking amrit, I feel can only be achieved with purity that Guru Sahib expects, when we can live amongst sat sangat, cause he knows the immense pressure living amongst dubdey as a amritdhari.
Local gurdwara has high level of depressed sangat, suicide, dubdey, but they fail to realise it is simply due to giving in to pressure of western world to fit in, and not depression rubbish.
Sewa/ Barosa in Guru Sahib atul sukh hi sukh hai, but how to convince when all dubdey, dragging me along?
ks
I would appreciate advise on maintaining amritvela, but doubt it will help me, as the problem is with my lack of discipline.

For advice on Amritvela, please see this link: [gurmatbibek.com]
Dhan dhan Amritvelaji,
I have read that article previously, which is why my daily ardas to Guru Sahib is extinction, so I can escape cycle of birth, and death at least :|
but Guru's Hukam is Supreme, not for us to beg, have to take as per destiny.
I was a Sikh in previous life too, no doubt (2 visits from Guru Gobind Singhjio himself, tears galore when leaving Punjab, after 1st visit there, just to mention 2 of strange but blissful events in my life), as B.Singh mentions above, but I doubt I was amritdhari, which is why I am back :\
Waheguru will let me know someday, but more than hair I believe eating from dubdey really creates havoc to one's gained blessings, and peace of mind, even unecessary sadness, restlessness results, not to mention scary dreams.
Pure Amritdhari of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singhji Gurmukhi is vital in path to Guru!
Thank you 'Amrtivela' that link looks useful for ks jee.

KS jee, discipline in Sikhi is very important as Guru Gobind Singh Jee declares that he loves the Rehit, not the Sikh. So, one who follows the Rehit is loved by Guru Sahib/Vaheguru. Now, one of the first more important disciplines/rehits of a Sikh is keeping a strict Amrtivela so by making your amritvela the norm and love for Naam strong you will be ready for Amrit.

Motivation

The best time to show our love for Vaheguru is at Amritvela. You said you have spiritual experiences but if you woke up at amritvela the experiences will be more intense and greater -

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਜਵੇਹਰੁ ਮਾਣਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥
The Lord's wealth is like jewels, gems and rubies. At the appointed time in the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours of the morning, the Lord's devotees lovingly center their attention on the Lord, and the wealth of the Lord.
ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਕਾ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਭਗਤ ਖਾਇ ਖਰਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਖੁਟੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥
The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord's wealth in the ambrosial hours of the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted.
ਹਲਤਿ ਪਲਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਕੀ ਭਗਤਾ ਕਉ ਮਿਲੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੩॥
In this world and the next, the devotees are blessed with glorious greatness, the wealth of the Lord. ||3||

As the above shabad states the wealth of Naam is best spent during amritvela. Gurbani also mentions doing naam and gurbani abhiyaas in the evening, all day and night (Athay Pehar) but amritvela is where ones abhiyaas and prayer is most heard -

ਬਾਬੀਹਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਤਾਂ ਦਰਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਪੁਕਾਰ ॥ बाबीहा अम्रित वेलै बोलिआ तां दरि सुणी पुकार ॥
The rainbird chirps in the ambrosial hours of the morning before the dawn; its prayers are heard in the Court of the Lord.

Furthermore, this world is illusionary, a dream and temporary so effort needs to be made so that we have a place in the real world when we wake up (die). We should strive to be different and distinct from the rest of the weakling sheep living in this world. They will regret when they die but you won’t because –

ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਗਏ ਮਸਕਤਿ ਘਾਲਿ ॥
Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows -
ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਮੁਖ ਉਜਲੇ ਕੇਤੀ ਛੁਟੀ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1||

Now is the time to do Bhagti and make effort to meet Vaheguru while we are young and healthy –

ਸੁਣਿ ਮਨ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਮਿਲੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਹੈ ਏਹ ॥
Listen, O my mind, my friend, my darling: now is the time to meet the Lord.
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜੋਬਨਿ ਸਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਤਬ ਲਗੁ ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਦੇਹ ॥
As long as there is youth and breath, give this body to Him.
ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਣ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਢਹਿ ਢੇਰੀ ਤਨੁ ਖੇਹ ॥੧॥
Without virtue, it is useless; the body shall crumble into a pile of dust. ||1||

Because –

ਕਹਾ ਬਿਸਾਸਾ ਦੇਹ ਕਾ ਬਿਲਮ ਨ ਕਰਿਹੋ ਮੀਤ ॥
How can you rely on the body? Do not delay, my friend;
ਨਹ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਨਹ ਜੋਬਨੈ ਨਹ ਬਿਰਧੀ ਕਛੁ ਬੰਧੁ ॥
there is nothing to stand in Death's way - neither in childhood, nor in youth, nor in old age.
ਓਹ ਬੇਰਾ ਨਹ ਬੂਝੀਐ ਜਉ ਆਇ ਪਰੈ ਜਮ ਫੰਧੁ ॥
That time is not known, when the noose of Death shall come and fall on you.

Becoming Heroes and Helping Others (ParupKaree)

We should strive to be godly heroes (Parupkaree) so that we can save those who need help ie those going through hardship in India and other countries. Beings in the previous yuga did bhagti for years and years to become heroes and warriors and we should do the same. Only through Naam we can become this –

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਉ ਸਿਮਰਹਿ ਸੇ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰੀ ॥
Those who remember God generously help others.

Amritvela helps us reach this stage –

Awid purKu Awdysu kir AMimRqu vylw sbdu AwhwrI]
aadh purakh aadhaes kar a(n)mrith vaelaa sabadh aahaaree||
Bowing before the primeval Purusa, in the ambrosial hours they chew the Word (urbane).

Aivgiq giq AgwiD boiD AkQ kQw Asgwh ApwrI]
avigath gath agaadhh bodhh akathh kathhaa asagaah apaaree||
To have knowledge of the greatness of that unmanifest Lord is a very deep experience, and to say something of that divine Lord is a Herculean task.

shin Av~txu praupkwrI ]2]
sehan avaattan paroupakaaree ||2||
Only Gurmukhs suffer while doing good to others.(2)

Tips for Amritvela

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

Amritvela begins in the last quarter of the night, which is from 2am to 6am.

You can try and do this:

- In the evening time do bania such as sing a few Astpaadia of Sukhmani Sahib, sing Sehaj Paath of Akal Ustat and sing the bani by Bhai Nand Lal Jee in praise of Guru Gobind Singh Jee – Naasaro Mansoor Gur Gobind Singh.
-Then jap naam until 9pm
-End it with an ardas asking Guru Sahib to bless you to wake up for amritvela and for every other amritvela as well without ever missing it.
-At 9pm do your Sohila, set your alarm for 1/2am and sleep. When you set your alarm clock try having it away from your bed so that you have to get up to shut it. When lying in bed, do not let thoughts come into your mind, only NAAM, so either jap naam in your mind and/or with your breath.
-Have your Ishnaan when you wake up at 1/2am.
-Do the evening routine everyday, since Gurbani stresses on evening abhiyaas of naam/bani as well, not just amritvela.

If the above does not work then another way is to do whole night, from 9/10pm - 5/6am naam abhiyaas, which will get you used to being awake during the night time. However, if you become too tired by the time it is 2am then you could do your normal activities until 12am and then do a few Astpadeeaa of Sukhmani Sahib and then jap naam until 2am. At 2am have an Ishnaan and then either do you panj bania after your Ishnaan or at 5. Either way, make sure you go back and forth with Sukhmani Sahib and Naam Abhiyaas until 5/6. Do not just do continuous Naam Abhiyaas until 5/6am, mix it up with Sukhmani Sahib.

Any Bani can be done along with Naam but the reason I picked Sukhmani Sahib is because the praise of Naam is emphasised in this bani. Gurbani states by singing praises of Naam we fall in love with Naam. Thus, by falling in love with Naam we experience Vaheguru’s love.

Gurbani also emphasises on japping naam with every breath and mind (Athay Pehar Naam Abhiyaas). So, practice remembering Naam with your tongue and mind during the day and night too.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps
discipline tan aape e ban janda jadon man ban jaaye. defeated are those who try not.
ks jee, amritdharis can come back onto earth, it has happened in the past and it is happening now.
Waheguru's Beloved,
Thanks so much for all the wonderful, precious advise, especially B.Singh's about mixing Sukhmani Sahib with Naam.
Need to clarify though that I am not young, and know time is running short for time, as death does not wait for age furthermore.
Waheguru bless you all abundantly! May we all meet in Guru's presence smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login