ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maryada of Degh distribution to Panj Singhs

Posted by JASJIT SINGH 
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Sangat Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Lately I am getting confused about distributing the Degh to Panj Singhs please correct me if my understanding of this Maryada is wrong anywhere in below explanation.

As we all know that when Degh is distributed as per Maryada first it should be distributed to Panj Singhs before distributing to sangat i.e. five Singhs who are of High avastha in Naam Abhiyaas and Rehat Rehani representing the Panj Piyare Bhai Dya Singh Jee, Bhai Dharam Singh Jee, Bhai Himmat Singh Jee, Bhai Mohkam Singh Jee and Bhai Sahib Singh Jee and are tyaar bar tyaar to do Panj Piyare Seva if required at very instance. Degh of Panj Singhs should not be distributed to any one else even if they are Amritdhari. Also when Degh is distributed for Sangat those Panj Singhs should be given the Degh again as a Sangat member. If Deghchi Singh(s) (The one who prepared and stayed on Pehra) finds that there are no such Panj Singhs available in Sangat even if there are many Amritdhari then it is better to do Surti ardaas remembering Panj Piyare again and mix the Shaanda of Panj Piyare back to the Degh.

That is what I learned from GurSikhs of past. Please let me know if there is any difference to the Maryada.

With Regards,
Daas
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
To follow up on this, daas has another question, it is unrelated to Bhai Sahb Jasjit Singh jees excellent question but may have some connection in the answer. I willl pose the question with an example.

At some major smagams (where their are loads of suitable Gurmukhs sitting in hazoori) the 'Deghchee' who is asked to give out Panjaan di Degh will be seen walking around moving about from person to person trying to find who they think is of high enough avastha. This causes unnecessary attraction to the Seva as well as dubidha in the eyes of onlookers. I have personally seen Sevadaars over look and move on from Naam-raseeyai Singh just because they are not wearing Hazooria around neck or Khandaa on dastar and rather give gappha to someone who outwardly looks tyaar-bar-tyaar. Are we now Anteryaami enough to know avasthaa of the souls that are sitting in Divaan?? Remember, even in Amrit Sanskaar, the chosen Singhs for Sevaa are not 100% chosen until all of their Pesheeyan have been done.

In the mind of the Sevadaar, is it right just to decide who will receive Panjaan di Degh just based on what seems to be a more tyaar-bar-tyaar Singh? I disagree with this practice, but if I am wrong I hope someone will set me straight. To daas, it makes more sense to daas that the first 5 Gursikhs the sevadaar lays eyes upon will receive the Gappha. If we do this way, we can accept it as Guru Sahibs hukam who the Panjaan di Degh was received by rather than deciding who is good enough in our own minds.

All in all, it looks ridiculous and is very distracting to see a Sevadaar walk all around the Divaan hall to find the most tyaar-bar-tyaar looking Gursikhs. Following Gurmat maryada in Divaan is an ABSOLUTE MUST, but causing distractions should be avoided as much as possible.

Please forgive daas for any harsh words, I am just a stupid curious child.
Deghchi alone does not have the authority to judge who is of the level of Punj Pyare and who is not. It is putting too much burden on the Deghchi to decide who is suitable for Punj Pyare sewa and who is not.

Normally, the Deghchi should give Degh to Tyaar-bar-Tyaar looking Gursikhs. A person who does not look Tyaar-bar-Tyaar shouldn't be given Punj dee Degh. Unless, a person is outright known to everyone for being a Tankhaiya or Patit, the Degh should be given to Tyaar-bar-Tyaar looking Gursikhs only. It is the duty of the Gursikh accepting Degh to decide if he or she is Tyaar-bar-Tyaar (i.e. is not a Patit or Tankhaia) and refuse it if not Tyaar-bar-Tyaar.

I think it is fair to give Degh to ones who look Tyaar-bar-Tyaar i.e. are Darshani Khalsa i.e. are wearing Baana as opposed to wearing Patloon-shirt or have their beard tied etc. Same way if a Bibi jee is an Amritdhari but not wearing a Dastar, then Degh shouldn't be given to such Bibi jee. The Deghchi cannot close his or her eyes for obvious omissions of Rehit.

Rest Bhai, Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Jasit Singh ji from what i have learnt form some senior jatha singhs that if there are not 5 tyaar bar tyaar gursikhs for the panj gapphas of degh the deghchi takes 5 gapheh in to a bata and mix back into the degh then serve everyone. Im glad you asked this question i've had doubts upon which kind of "panj" you give the first panj gappeh of degh smiling smiley
And what if there are like for example only 1, 2, 3 or 4 proper Abhiaasi Singhs/Singhniaa, not 5? Should it be distributed to them and remaining Gaphey back in the big bata?
Agree with Bhagatjot Singh that Degchee shouldn't distract sangat when choosing Panj Gursikhs.
But, Degchee himself cannot judge who is high avsthaa and who isn't.Although the Deghchee should still use Bibek Budh when choosing the Panj Gursikhs.
It is important that the 5 Gursikhs are in Khalsa Baana. And it is obviously also beneficial if you know about their rehit too. if too uncertain or like Damandeep Singh said that if there is 1,2,3 or 4 Gursikhs then i think you should do what Trilochan Singh has mentioned, putting the gaphey into a baata doing some Gur Gur and remembering the 5 Pyaare, and mixing it back to the degh. I personally think that is a safer option then giving it out to Gursikhs who you are uncertain about. And i think doing ardaas at the end of giving out degh is also essential, asking Satgurujee for forgiveness for any errors. If we do Sevaa with Pyaar and no wrong intentions, GuruSahib himself will bakhsh us with GurmatBibek Budh to make these decisions. He knows everything.
Forgive me for going slightly off topic, but what is are the Sangats views on distributing almonds, kashews, raisins, dried fruit during divaans (rehNsbhaee keertans etc..). It is sometimes referred to as 'suka parshad', (not sure if it right to name it as such).

Maaf karna
TrilochanSingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bhai Jasit Singh ji from what i have learnt form
> some senior jatha singhs that if there are not 5
> tyaar bar tyaar gursikhs for the panj gapphas of
> degh the deghchi takes 5 gapheh in to a bata and
> mix back into the degh then serve everyone. Im
> glad you asked this question i've had doubts upon
> which kind of "panj" you give the first panj
> gappeh of degh smiling smiley

Thats what I have seen.
In Bhai Sahibs times they would keep a bata full of water and wash the hands of the Panj Singh before giving them degh. Only those Singhs who's Singhnia wore Keski were given the Panja Singh dee Degh.
In Bhai Sahibs times they would keep a bata full of water and wash the hands of the Panj Singh before giving them degh.

That is interesting point! and makes sense.

Only those Singhs who's Singhnia wore Keski were given the Panja Singh dee Degh.

Yes, this is one of the qualifications for Panj which I think some of the new young sevadaars do not aware of. That is why when I was told about Panj Singhs qualities to whom Degh should be served those Singhs should be tyaar bar tyaar in such a position that even if they are asked to do Panj Piyaria de seva they should be fit for that. Of course no Singh is just picked for Panj Piyare di seva for that they have to pass through the peshi test every one knows that. No matter how high avastha/strict Rehat a Singh has if his Singhni is not keeping basic Rehats including Keski that Singh disqualifies just because of this. In fact when Daas was with India Sangat any Singh whose Singhni do not keep Keski Rehat was not allowed to do any seva including Keertan Seva, Akhand Paath Raul, Langar cooking seva, Langer serving seva and whatever parmukh seva one can think of.

With Regards,
Daas
Bhai TrilochanSingh Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh
Bhai Jasit Singh ji from what i have learnt form some senior jatha singhs that if there are not 5 tyaar bar tyaar gursikhs for the panj gapphas of degh the deghchi takes 5 gapheh in to a bata and mix back into the degh then serve everyone.

I think this is the best bottom line decision which daas also tried to implement in past and would do that if I will be ordered to do Degh seva and such situation comes where it is difficult to decide for Panj, however, the down side is which I am worry about that it might abandon the practice to serve Degh to Panj first. As it is already disappearing from Sikh Panth. What you think?

With Regards,
Daas
Damandeep Singh Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

And what if there are like for example only 1, 2, 3 or 4 proper Abhiaasi Singhs/Singhniaa, not 5? Should it be distributed to them and remaining Gaphey back in the big bata?
I think as suggested by Bhai Trilochan Singh Jee, in any scenario if 5 qualified Singhs are not complete in numbers then Shaanda of Panj Singh should mix back to entire Degh.

With Regards,
Daas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login