ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guru Sahib Jee At Achal Batala

Posted by Vista 
Guru Sahib Jee At Achal Batala
January 28, 2010 01:49AM
Today The First Sikh Guru, Siree Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji visited Achal Batala, and held a debate with the yogis.
i never heard of achal batala until today, and this is the sakhee i found on sikhwiki. Hope more users can add to it.

About 25 miles from Kartarpur, there was a place called Achal Batala where on the occasion of Shivratri festival, hundreds of Jogis used to come to take part in the festival. The Guru also went to Achal Batala to preach his doctrine. Thousands of people came from far and near to see and hear him. There were three camps- one of the Jogis, another of the Guru and the third one of a party of musicians. More and more people gathered around the Guru's camp than that of the Jogis. This made the Jogis very angry and jealous and they were determined to humble the Guru.
Contents

Whatever the money the musicians were getting from the audience, they put it in a bowl. Somehow the Jogis stole their bowl full of money and hid it someplace thinking that the musicians would go to the Guru for help and if the Guru was unable to locate the bowl, he would be humbled.

Knowing about the greatness of the Guru, the musicians went to the Guru for help to find their bowl of money. The wonderful Guru told them about the mischief of the Jogis and recovered their bowl from the hiding place. Thus the Jogis suffered a tremendous defeat.

Next attack from the Jogis came through a discussion. As mentioned before the Guru after his travels, laid aside the pilgrim's apparel and had put up ordinary dress of a family man. The Jogis said,"O Guru, you are a holy man but you are wearing the garb of a family person. Why does a holy man lead a family life?" Jogi Bhagarnath further asked the Guru,"When the milk becomes sour, no butter is produced by churning it, why have you cast away your hermit's dress and donned ordinary clothes?"

The Guru replied,"O Bhangarnath, your mother was an unskilled woman. She knew not how to wash the churn, and so spoilt the butter in producing thee. Thou hast become an anchoret after abandoning thy family life, and yet thou goest to beg to the houses of family men."

Upon this reply the Jogis were enraged and through their miraculous powers, they started to harass the Guru. One Jogi became a cobra to frighten the Guru, the other became wolf and other started rain of fire. The powerful Guru sat calmly unperturbed and unharmed. When the Jogis were beaten badly, Bhangarnath asked the Guru that he exhibited miracles to the world, why he was slow to exhibit the same to them?

The Guru replied that he had no miracles except the True Name, and he uttered the following Shabad:

ਸਲੋਕੁਮਃ1॥
ਪਹਿਰਾਅਗਨਿਹਿਵੈਘਰੁਬਾਧਾਭੋਜਨੁਸਾਰੁਕਰਾਈ॥
ਸਗਲੇਦੂਖਪਾਣੀਕਰਿਪੀਵਾਧਰਤੀਹਾਕਚਲਾਈ॥
ਧਰਿਤਾਰਾਜੀਅੰਬਰੁਤੋਲੀਪਿਛੈਟੰਕੁਚੜਾਈ॥
ਏਵਡੁਵਧਾਮਾਵਾਨਾਹੀਸਭਸੈਨਥਿਚਲਾਈ॥
ਏਤਾਤਾਣੁਹੋਵੈਮਨਅੰਦਰਿਕਰੀਭਿਆਖਿਕਰਾਈ॥
ਜੇਵਡੁਸਾਹਿਬੁਤੇਵਡਦਾਤੀਦੇਦੇਕਰੇਰਜਾਈ॥
ਨਾਨਕਨਦਰਿਕਰੇਜਿਸੁਉਪਰਿਸਚਿਨਾਮਿਵਡਿਆਈ॥1॥

If I dressed myself in fire, and built my house of snow, and made iron my food;
and if I were to drink in all pain like water, and drive the entire earth before me;
and if I were to place the earth upon a scale and balance it with a single copper coin;
and if I were to become so great that I could not be contained, and if I were to control and lead all;
and if I were to possess so much power within my mind that I could cause others to do my bidding-so what?
As Great as our Lord and Master is, so great are His gifts. He bestows them according to His Will.
O Nanak, those upon whom the Lord casts His Glance of Grace, obtain the glorious greatness of the True Name

The Yogis then finally complimented the Guru on his success and said,"Hail, O Nanak, great are thy deeds! Thou hast arisen a great being, and lit a light in this age of falsehood (kalyug) in the world."
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

Next attack from the Jogis came through a discussion. As mentioned before the Guru after his travels, laid aside the pilgrim's apparel and had put up ordinary dress of a family man. The Jogis said,"O Guru, you are a holy man but you are wearing the garb of a family person. Why does a holy man lead a family life?" Jogi Bhagarnath further asked the Guru,"When the milk becomes sour, no butter is produced by churning it, why have you cast away your hermit's dress and donned ordinary clothes?"

The Guru replied,"O Bhangarnath, your mother was an unskilled woman. She knew not how to wash the churn, and so spoilt the butter in producing thee. Thou hast become an anchoret after abandoning thy family life, and yet thou goest to beg to the houses of family men."

Saying this would not enhance Siri Guru jee's already highly exalted personality but Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee was so courageous. He went to Hardwar and started throwing water towards the direction opposite to other pilgrims. He went for namaz with the king but once there, just stood there and did not do namaz. When Inder Singh Ghagga wrote that Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee ate Halal meat when travelling with Muslims to Mecca, I asked him how did he know that. He said that how could anyone dare not eat meat with Muslims, when travelling with them. This was so upsetting. He was making assumptions based on his parochial view of the world. Prof. Ghagga was basically saying that Siri Guru jee ate meat out of fear of Haajees (Muslims travelling to Mecca for Haj). How much he had misunderstood Siri Guru jee's personality.

Scholars who don't understand the greatness of our Guru Sahib, write so belittling things about Guru Sahib. May Guru Sahib bless them with some Bibek Budh.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Next attack from the Jogis came through a
> discussion. As mentioned before the Guru after his
> travels, laid aside the pilgrim's apparel and had
> put up ordinary dress of a family man. The Jogis
> said,"O Guru, you are a holy man but you are
> wearing the garb of a family person. Why does a
> holy man lead a family life?" Jogi Bhagarnath
> further asked the Guru,"When the milk becomes
> sour, no butter is produced by churning it, why
> have you cast away your hermit's dress and donned
> ordinary clothes?"
>
> The Guru replied,"O Bhangarnath, your mother was
> an unskilled woman. She knew not how to wash the
> churn, and so spoilt the butter in producing thee.
> Thou hast become an anchoret after abandoning thy
> family life, and yet thou goest to beg to the
> houses of family men."
>
> Saying this would not enhance Siri Guru jee's
> already highly exalted personality but Siri Guru
> Nanak Dev jee was so courageous. He went to
> Hardwar and started throwing water towards the
> direction opposite to other pilgrims. He went for
> namaz with the king but once there, just stood
> there and did not do namaz. When Inder Singh
> Ghagga wrote that Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee ate
> Halal meat when travelling with Muslims to Mecca,
> I asked him how did he know that. He said that how
> could anyone dare not eat meat with Muslims, when
> travelling with them. This was so upsetting. He
> was making assumptions based on his parochial view
> of the world. Prof. Ghagga was basically saying
> that Siri Guru jee ate meat out of fear of Haajees
> (Muslims travelling to Mecca for Haj). How much he
> had misunderstood Siri Guru jee's personality.
>
> Scholars who don't understand the greatness of our
> Guru Sahib, write so belittling things about Guru
> Sahib. May Guru Sahib bless them with some Bibek
> Budh.
>
> Kulbir Singh

I dont understand why some scholars decide to say Guru Sahib ate meat and had more then wife. Personally I never accept Sakhees that go against Guru Jis teachings.

When Muslims were compiling a Sunnah ( Rehatnama for Muslims) they were collecting all the teachings of Muhammad and referring to the stories told by people who were alive during that time. many people wanted there stories to be included in the Sunnah so there became tons of people who made up far-fetched stories of Muhammad. Islamic Scholars prudently collected these stories and discredited the stories that were odd or went against the teachings of the Quaran. It would be beneficial if we took similar measures on a panthic and personal level.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login