ਤੈਸੇ ਪੇਖਿ ਅਉਗੁਨ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾਹੂ
ਪੂਰਨ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਸਮਝਾਵਤ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ਹੈ ॥356॥

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Vaar Bhai Gurdas Jee
November 18, 2010 07:18AM
Vista ji,

Seeing your kirpa after a long time. Seemed to have disappeared for a while.

Kirpa karde reha karo sangat te ji

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
November 18, 2010 08:13AM
1. ਜੈਸੇ ਕਰ ਗਹਤ ਸਰਪ ਸੁਤ ਪੇਖਿ ਮਾਤਾ
ਕਹੈ ਨ ਪੁਕਾਰ ਫੁਸਲਾਇ ਉਰ ਮੰਡ ਹੈ ॥

2. ਜੈਸੇ ਬੇਦ ਰੋਗੀ ਪ੍ਰਤਿ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਬਿਥਾਰ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ
ਸੰਜਮ ਕੈ ਅਉਖਦ ਖਵਾਇ ਰੋਗ ਡੰਡ ਹੈ ॥

3. ਜੈਸੇ ਭੂਲਿ ਚੂਕਿ ਚਟੀਆ ਕੀ ਨ ਬੀਚਾਰੈ ਪਾਧਾ
ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਸੀਖਿਆ ਮੂਰਖਤ ਮਤਿ ਖੰਡ ਹੈ ॥

4. ਤੈਸੇ ਪੇਖਿ ਅਉਗੁਨ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾਹੂ
ਪੂਰਨ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਸਮਝਾਵਤ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ਹੈ ॥356॥

The meanings seem to be as follows:

1. Like, If a mother sees her son holding a snake, she does not raise alarm lest the snake bite her son but she convinces her son lovingly to drop the snake.

2. Like, a Vaid (doctor) does not tell the details of the disease to the sick but gives the medicine and Sanjam and this way eliminates the disease.

3. Like, a teacher does not hold grudge for his students mistakes but eliminates his students' stupidity through repeated lessons.

4. Same way, Satguru jee does not tell anyone (i.e. keeps the Pardah of His Sikh) about the shortcomings of his Sikh and burns the shortcomings through the Perfect Bibek Bichaar.

The basic idea in this Kabit is that there are many Hukams of Guru Sahib that we cannot fathom. We should not have the condition that unless we understand a Hukam of Guru Sahib, we are not going to adopt it. Guru Sahib alone knows the harms and benefits of our actions. Guru Sahib can see much farther than we can see. We should have faith in Guru Sahib and His Hukams. The real reason behind the Hukam of wearing 5 Kakaars is known to Guru Sahib alone and same holds true for all Hukams of Guru Sahib. We should not obey the Hukams only if we understand the logic behind the Hukams but like a Hukami-Banda (slave), we should obey the Hukams.

The Kabit is a bit difficult. Hopefully, the interpretation is close enough to the original.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
November 18, 2010 08:43AM
Yes, this is the whole point of Sikhi, following Hukams of Guru Jee without question. It's pretty simple really, but so difficult at the same time. Usually I try to avoid quoting Gurbani pangtees in support of my posts because I do not understand the meaning myself and have to rely on the translation, so I am afraid of misquoting, but look what Satguru jee is saying in this pangtee:

ਫੁਰਮਾਨੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਸਿਰੈ ਊਪਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਨ ਕਰਤ ਬੀਚਾਰ ||

furamaan thaeraa sirai oopar fir n karath beechaar |

Your Command is upon my head, and I no longer question it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bhai Sahib Bhai Gurdaas Jee has also written:

Gursikhee da karam e, gur furmaie gursikh karna

The act of Gursikhee is thus; what the Guru says, the Gursikh will do.

If someone can post the original Gurmukhi text for this and from which vaar/kabit it is from that would be great.

You know these days we try and find scientific or medical reasons to try and support what Guru Jee tells us? And in this way we try and justify and fit in Sikhi with "modern society" or whatever else. Just follow as much as we are comfortable with. We don't even realise what Guru Jee says is far beyond petty science and medicine or whatever other fake rules of the corrupt world, and they are giving us Hukam to be followed without question for our benefit only.

If one really loves someone, one does not ask "Why? Why? Why?" all the time, but accepts what is said. If we look at life of Bhai Lehna Jee, it is just the following of one of Guru Jee's Hukams after the other without question, and in the end Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee told them to eat a dead body, what did Bhai Lehna Jee do? They asked from which side should I begin eating my beloved? Guru Jee said the feet, then Bhai Lehna Jee took a bite of the feet and was rewarded with the taste of KaRah Prashaad and the Guruship. They certainly didn't say "I thought you said we can't eat meat Guru Jee?" or "Eeeeo it's a dead body!" etc.

The question to be asked, is how it is possible to follow everything and anything someone says without question? I think the answer to this is that this is only possible when you are totally in love with someone you just cannot think of anything else, your eyes are blinded with love, and you have no interest in anything except your beloved. However this state of true love is not easy to develop, one cannot just buy it at a shop, it a most precious gift from Guru Jee themselves.
November 18, 2010 09:51AM
Personally we should not have blind faith in Guru Sahib as it can be mis-leading.
Guru Sahib wants 2 main things in life our time and mostly our love (naam bani, bana, rehat etc)

3. Like, a teacher does not hold grudge for his students mistakes but eliminates his students' stupidity through repeated lessons "ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ"

Emphasis on ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ the more we go into naam and bani the more we learn smiling smiley may Guru Sahib bless with the determination to get closer his naam charan kamal
November 18, 2010 10:09AM
Yes I can see what you are saying Bhai Trilochan Singh Jee to the extent that now Guru Jee in the form of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is not as likely to give surprising Hukams that we have seen in our history, eating of the dead body in this case, washing clothes in the middle of the night, re-building a thaRa (platform) over and over again etc but even so, it is still possible. Perhaps you are saying from a scenario that someone might tell non Gurmat things to an innocent and gullible person and they would follow it without question?

But I am still in view that we should have andh vishwaas (blind faith) in Satguru Jee alone, because that way we can't lose, even if we do something wrong thinking it was right, with full faith, I believe the Guru would show us the right way.
November 18, 2010 11:44AM
vaheguroo bhai Jaskirat Singh from what dass has learnt that we should use bibek budhi to analyse any situation and act how guru sahib would want his children to act (obviously taking account rehatnameh etc), the test's the Bhai Lehna and other great gursikhs went through so that we can learn from them. (Guru Sahib says gursikh does without hesitation)

In terms of blind faith dass will have to disagree with you as people miss quote so much gurbani like

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ਸਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Whatever the Saint does - accept that as True. ||1||Pause|| then they will quote

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਮਹਾ ਅਤਤਾਈ ॥ The slanderer of the Saint is the worst evil-doer (each are from seperate shabads)
if someone had one just had blind faith which sant is Guru Sahib referring to, we all know that the state of the panth their is more "Sant Babeh" than cheleh someone would easily quote this and mislead them due to the blind faith. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login