ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huge Spiritual Hurdle - Tandra - Recognition and Cure

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
How to be Saved from the Trap of Tandra

Original Text: ਇਸ ਸਮੇਂ ਦੀ ਇਕ ਘਟਨਾ ਤੋਂ ਹਮੇਸ਼ਾਂ ਅਭਿਆਸੀ ਜਨ ਨੂੰ ਸੁਚੇਤ ਰਹਿਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ। ਫੁਰਨੇ ਸੰਕਲਪ ਵਿਕਲਪਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਲਪਣਾ ਜਦ ਮਿਟ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਾਂਤ ਘਰ ਵਿਚ ਆਉਣ ਕਰਕੇ ਬਿਰਤੀ ਨੂੰ ਇਕ ਸੁਖ ਜੇਹਾ ਪਰਤੀਤ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਅਭਿਆਸੀ ਦੇ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਨੂੰ ਚੜ੍ਹਦੀ ਕਲਾ ਵਿਖੇ ਜਾਣੋ ਰੋਕਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜੇ ਏਹ ਸੁਖ ਬਿਰਤੀ ਉਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਬਲ ਪੈ ਜਾਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਸੁਰਤੇ ਦੀ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਊਣਮ ਝੂਣੀ ਜੇਹੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਅਸਲ ਸਾਵਧਾਨਤਾ ਤੇ ਨਾਮ ਲਿਵ ਦੀ ਏਕਾਗਰਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਜੋ ਹਰਦੰਮ ਰਹਿਣੀ ਚਾਹੀਦੀ ਹੈ। ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਇਸ ਬਿਹੂਣ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪ੍ਰਾਇਣੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦੀ। ਜੈਸਾ ਕਿ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਿਖੇ ਏਹ ਉਤਸ਼ਾਹੀ ਬਚਨ (ਹੁਕਮ) ਹੈ: ਯਥਾ:

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਸੰਤ ਮੀਤ॥ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਏਕਾਗਰ ਚੀਤ॥

ਇਸ ਤੋਂ ਬਚਣ ਦਾ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਵਧੀਆ ਉਪਾਉ ਏਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਨਾਮ ਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਇਕੱਠਾ ਹੀ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਵੇ। ਅਤੇ ਬਾਣੀ ਖਾਸ ਕਰਿ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਅਭਿਆਸ, ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਅੱਤ ਗੁਣਕਾਰੀ ਹੈ। ਬਾਣੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ (ਨਾਮੀ ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਕਿ ਨਾਮ ਜਪੀਦਾ ਹੈ) ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਚਾਬਕ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ (ਅਭਿਆਸੀ ਜਨ) ਨੂੰ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਵਲ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਰਖਦੀ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਦੇ ਗੁਣਾਨਵਾਦ ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਿਆਰ ਉਪਜਾਉਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਏਹ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਹੀ ਸਾਵਧਾਨਤਾ ਦਾ ਸੰਜਮ ਹੈ। ਏਹ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਹੀ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਬਿਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਉਚੇਰਾ ਰੱਖਣ ਦੀ ਔਖਧੀ ਹੈ!! ਅਤੇ ਏਹ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਹੀ ਸਰਬਤਰ ਫੁਰਨਿਆਂ ਕੁਫੁਰਨਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਮਾਰਨ ਦਾ ਮਾਰਣ (ਦਾਰੂ) ਹੈ। ਗਲ ਕੀ! ਏਹ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਹੀ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਦੀ ਜੁਗਤੀਆਂ ਸਿਰ ਮੁਖ ਜੁਗਤੀ ਹੈ।
(Gurmat Bibek page 105-106)

Humble Translation: At this time (when the mind becomes still), the Abhyaasi Jan must stay alert about one spiritual state. At the time when thoughts – good and bad – are removed (from the mind), then the Surthee (concentration) comes in the house of peace (becomes very peaceful) and for this reason the Birthee feels a kind of Sukh (Anand, pleasure) and this prevents the Abhyaas (meditation) of the Abhyaasi to move upwards (in Chardi Kala). If this Sukh or pleasure becomes dominant on the Birthee (Surthee, concentration), then the Surthee of the Surtha (Abhyaasi Jan) becomes deficient and dull and, the true alertness and concentration of Naam, that should remain all the time, does not remain. Because without this (concentration and alertness of Naam), love-filled Praise (Sifat-Salaah) is not possible. As there is this Inspiring Bachan in Siri Sukhmani Sahib:

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਸੰਤ ਮੀਤ॥ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਏਕਾਗਰ ਚੀਤ॥

The best way to escape from this (dull concentration) is that right from the first stage the Abhyaas of Naam and Gurbani should be done together. And especially to do Abhyaas (recitation with love) of Siri Sukhmani Sahib along with Naam Abhyaas is extremely beneficial. Using the whip or lash of love of the beloved one (whose Naam we chant), Gurbani keeps one alert towards Naam Abhyaas and by praising the greatness of Naam again and again, it increases the love of Naam in the mind of the seeker. This love is the way to get concentration. This love alone is the medicine that takes one’s concentration high. And this love alone is the medicine to kill thoughts or bad thoughts (that keep coming in mind when one tries to concentrate). What else to say, this love alone is the greatest way to do Naam Abhyaas.

Vichaar: There are two kinds of sleep-like Avasthaas. One is Nindra which means normal sleep that worldly people do everyday and the other one is Tandra which is a spiritual sleep that one experiences when during the meditation on Naam, one's mind becomes clear of worldly thoughts. The mind get induced in a sleep-like trance where sometimes spiritual dreams too occur. Many times, one gets visions of other spiritual realms and Ridhi-Sidhi related visions.

The mind gets some pleasure in Tandra and this spiritual sleep called Tandra is much more powerful than Nindra (the normal sleep of worldly people) because half-an-hour of Tandra is more comfort-giving than perhaps many hours of Nindra. Many Abhyaasis who do many hours of Abhyaas, go into Tandra mode of sleep and compensate for less hours of Nindra they get because of their busy schedule.

Many Abhyaasis and Seekers of Vaheguru have written about Tandra but and they have also recognized that spending time in Tandra Avastha means that they sacrifice the rise of their Surthee but they don't offer any concrete solution as to how to avoid Tandra. If one is doing just Naam Abhyaas, one unwittingly slips into Tandra instead of rising in the higher spiritual planes. I believe Sardar Raghbir Singh jee Bir too has mentioned about Tandra and so did Subedar Baghel Singh jee, while conversing with this Daas but other than advising the seekers to be alert, they don't offer real solutions.

The solution to this spiritual hurdle has come from Brahmgyani Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee only who has advised that Naam and Gurbani Abhyaas be done together, right from the beginning stages. The first thing of course is to do Abhyaas with full concentration and reach the state where one's thoughts stop and one begins to hear Naam clearly. Bhai Sahib has written that one must stop worldly thoughts as soon as one gets up and particularly when one is doing Ishnaan, one should attempt to do the Ishnaan of the mind as well, by concentrating on Gurbani. When one makes one effort to get concentrated on Gurbani, Gurbani makes countless efforts and takes the mind in it's refuge.

When doing Abhyaas, we notice that one part of the Mind is chanting Naam while another part is thinking about something else. Unless the Mind becomes one and all parts of Mind are concentrated on Naam, the full rewards of Naam Abhyaas are not awarded. Naam Abhyaas should continue as normal, audibly, at Amritvela, and with other part of the mind, one should attempt to hear Manglacharan, Siri Jap jee Sahib or most preferably Siri Sukhmani Sahib. One should not attempt to do Paath as this will take away concentration from Naam but the Paath should happen effortlessly, just as Furnay (thoughts) flash effortlessly in the mind. Mind should continue to focus on Naam Dhuni but when the Pankitis of Siri Sukhmani Sahib flash in the mind, they bring Chardi Kala in Abhyaas. It's this Chardi Kala that Bhai Sahib is talking about in the passage above. The Gurbani Pankitis are drenched in divine Love and this Love causes the Chardi Kala in the Simran and it is this Love that protects the Mind from getting entangled in Tandra. Of course, doing Abhyaas audibly in the presence of other Gursikhs, shields against Tandra.

The above is based on books of Gurmukhs and Vichaars with Gurmukhs. Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ਨਾਈਸ ਜੀ

ਵਧੀਆ ਲਿਖਿਆ
what does tandra mean?
Leafy jee, please read the article above; it explains it all.
Makes ya think how miles away you are on the spiritual path, but it explains actions of some singhs on during amritvela (i used to think "I cant believe hes sleeping" lol).
Bhai kulbir Singh. Can a gursikh play audio cd of sukhmani sahib and do abyiaas at the same time or does naam abyiaas and gurbanee both have to be done at the same time in the mind as you have told us above.

Thanks bhai sahib jee
Also whilst doing abyiaas, can gursikh instead of doing paath, sing keertan in his mind, maybe to a track he listened to in the day time.
Amazing stuff, I suppose you would probably need to have a lot of concentration in abhiyaas on its own first... i feel like not even nursery class lol.
I wonder if there is any refrence to the technique in bani as well?

Can a gursikh play audio cd of sukhmani sahib and do abyiaas at the same time or does naam abyiaas and gurbanee both have to be done at the same time in the mind as you have told us above.

Whatever works for you is good. Daas has never tried doing Abhyaas with Siri Sukhmani Sahib CD and as such can make no comment on it. The ideal thing would be to have Siri Sukhmani Sahib memorized to the extent that an attempt can be made to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib along with Naam Abhyaas. This Daas always used to think that this spiritual state comes at advanced stages but Bhai Sahib has made it clear that from the first state, Naam Abhyaas and Gurbani Paath should be done together. This is coming from one of the most advanced player of Spirituality - Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. So we must try to follow this advice.

Also whilst doing abyiaas, can gursikh instead of doing paath, sing keertan in his mind, maybe to a track he listened to in the day time.

Doing Kirtan in Surthee along with Abhyaas is just fine.

Guru Sahib knows better. The above and the whole article is based on books and thoughts of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and other Gurmukhs.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
you could try leaving simran on and then sit and do your path. i tried this method when something really horrible happened in my life and my mind was all over the place, it was painful. every day i just left simran on all day and all night next to me while i slept, while doing nitnem i used turn it down a little but i would be able to hear it still and i would also be able to hear my path recitation. it's a powerful method.
The first thing of course is to do Abhyaas with
 full concentration and reach the state where one's
 thoughts stop and one begins to hear Naam clearly.

Bhai Kulbir Singh ji,
Do We suppose to hear that naam from inside at this time or just while chanting it with tongue ??

VaheguruJiKaKhalsa
VaheguruJiKiFateh
is it possible that this tandra also has impact on sleep? i mean can it reduce sleep time also and that too without fatigue? pls rep anyone. i'm asking because something had happened to me one night. good or bad i dont know.
Yea Tandra can reduce sleep time. It has been explained in the article -

'The mind gets some pleasure in Tandra and this spiritual sleep called Tandra is much more powerful than Nindra (the normal sleep of worldly people) because half-an-hour of Tandra is more comfort-giving than perhaps many hours of Nindra. Many Abhyaasis who do many hours of Abhyaas, go into Tandra mode of sleep and compensate for less hours of Nindra they get because of their busy schedule.'
In Bh. Sahib jees priceless books, is there any mentioning of benefit/disregard of doing naam abhyaas alongside Gurbani keertan in Sangtee roop??

Not the type of fancy filmy Simran tunes that raagis and "jatha" raagis try to do, but actual abhyaas alongside keertan..
Bhagatjot Singh Jee,

Within the Gurmat Bodh section of this website there are articles related to Gurmat Bibek and from there is where I found the following excerpt from the pustak Gurmat Bibek.

5. What is the single most important act that brings about Naam?

The most important act, as per Gurmat Bibek, is to sing Har-Keertan. There is no higher knowledge, philosophy or practice than Har-Keertan. Even while doing Har-Keertan the dhunee (Sound) of Naam continues unabated. Only that thought is highest that brings about singing of Har-Gunn – Gurbanee. Such thought only comes through SatSangat when ਰੰਗਿ (hue) of Gurmat gets instilled. Only those Bibekee Gursikhs will get to be thus blessed who practice the Hukam of doing Keertan. Without practice of this ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਾਲਾਹ (Har-Keertan) one cannot have Bibek as Gurmat. The highest Gurmat-Karam without a parallel is Har-Keertan. All heavenly pleasures come easily to one immersed in Har-Keertan. Gurmukhs who thus taste the sweet rsu of Gurbanee also get the Ones Divine Vision.

6. Wouldn’t everyone who does Har-Keertan get ਰਸੁ?

Even though anyone who comes in touch with Gurbanee gets blessed, the Pleasure that Bibekee Gursikhs, with ਜੀਵਨ ਕਣੀ: Naam in their hearts, enjoy is indescribable. In fact, anyone who does Gurbanee Path gets drops of Amrit trickle within. But only those blessed ones experience it who are dealers of Amrit in their daily life, Gurmat Bibekees. Those who experience Amrit once engage themselves in earning it again and again and thus dwell in Amrit Ras to ultimately recognize the One Akaal Purakh. Such love-drenched Gurmat Bibekees never turn away from Guru’s Hukams.

The following thoughts come from the above passage:

1. While doing the karam of har-keertan, Gurmat Bibekees recite naam within at the same time.

2. Naam is recited alongside keertan within the surti or hirda.

In the first passage that was translated in regards to tandra it is interesting to note that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has said the following:

ਪਹਿਲੀ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਨਾਮ ਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਇਕੱਠਾ ਹੀ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਵੇ।

This makes it clear that while doing Naam Abhiyaas audible with the mouth, Gurbani Paath should be going on within the surti or hirda of the Abhiyaasi jan. Similarly if Gurbani Paath or keertan of Gurbani is done audibly with the mouth, then Naam Abhiyaas should be going on within the surti or hirda of the Abhiyaasi jan.

Rest is known to only those who have experienced it.

Preetam Singh
thanks B.Singh ji for removing my doubt about tandra. naal hi ik gal hor puchhan da man kita. main sochya k poori concept clarity kar hi lai jaave.
it were the incidences of some months ago. i was basically an atheist. dont know why i turned to nitnem. and as lazy i was at that time, i did recitation of 5 prayers near abot daily in those 1 or 2 months. and my eyes often used to go wet when i reach at last fourth part of anand sahib. after struggling with my mind for full many days, now i daily recite prayers. but now eyes rarely go wet. what is this? am i losing my faith, or that was just a stage and that is over now. explain pls, what's this. why i cant feel what i was feeling in those months? i'm near about 24 years old. having a little knowledge about sikhism. my name gurpreet singh.
Gurpreet Singh Jee, it does not mean you are losing your faith. Sometimes we become emotional while singing/reading bani or doing naam abhiyaas. For instance, we go into Bairaag for Vaheguru/Guru Sahib. It does not mean it will happen everytime and if it does not, you are still on the right track. Just keep in mind that we should try to sing bania and jap naam with anand and enthusiasm.

You probably do, but if not, keep in mind that Naam Abhiyaas is essential for our kamaaee to increase. Gurmat is about about three things, faith, fear/love and experience. It is the norm that after a while of doing naam/bani abhiyaas every Gursikh experiences the spiritual lokh such as Jyot bigaas (spiritual states after Guru Sahib's charan kamal is inside our hirda), Param padh, Vaheguru, Guru Sahib, Bhramgyanees, Shaheed Singhs, gods/demons, ghosts, heavens/hell etc. So, keep faith and fear/love by continuously keeping a strict amritvela without missing it, doing bania/naam in the evening and remember vaheguru athay pehar (during the day/everyday). Gurbani states that the evening time is essential to do naam abhiyaas and gun gayee abhiyaas too, not just amritvela.

Also, to gain more knowledge on Sikhi/Gurmat you could read about Sakhis of Guru Sahib and Gurmukhs (baba deep singh and more), read through Guru Granth Sahib jee, Bhai Gurdaas Jee's vaaran to understand Guru Granth Sahib jee and Dasam Granth.

Here are links Gurbania:
Dasam Granth: sridasam.org
Guru Granth Sahib Jee: Srigranth.org and sikhitothemax.com
Bhai Gurdas jee's Vaaran: sikhitothemax.com
preet kokri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was basically an atheist. dont know why i turned to
> nitnem. ........
>. and my eyes often used to go wet when
> i reach at last fourth part of anand sahib.
> ........ but now eyes rarely go wet.
> what is this?

Not exactly same thing but similar thing happened with one of my friend. Let me share her small story with you.
She is not exactly atheist but not too very religious also. This means she would visit Gurudwara but do nothing more than that. It so happened that she got admission in some Bio-Technolgy course in a college in Sri Amritsar Sahib (she is not from Punjab but from some other state in India). Now somehow she started visiting Sri Harmandar Darbar Sahib (Golden temple) regularly. She use to feel huge pull in her heart to visit Sri Darbar Sahib. There is more interesting twist in the story. When she use to sit in a particular place the tears would start and would not stop from her eyes. ( It is difficult to explain in words about the position of this place.This place is where you just come out of the exit door on right hand side after doing Matha-Tek in Sri Darbar Sahib ). She tried sitting in different place and tears would not come. But when she sat in that particular place tears would start. This continued till the time she was doing her course in Sri Amritsar Sahib.

After the Biotechnology course she got job in another state and moved out of Punjab. I don't know whether she got any answers, to what happened with her in Sri Harmandar Sahib, or not. But today she seems to have returned to same mode 'not exactly atheist but not too very religious'.

There may be many conclusion to this incident (the following list is not exhaustive):
Lesson 1. Akal Purakh works in his own mystical ways. Sometime things happen in person's life which no human can answer but only Akal Purakh.

Lesson 2. In Sri Jap Jee Sahib we read "Bin gun keete bhagat na hoi", this is proved once again as per above incident. It is not in our capacity to do Bhagti until Akal Purakh wishes. Guru Jee will test the potential candidate of Sikhi by putting under various test. Try your best not to leave reading bani in any cost. Guru Jee will put Maya in front of you in many ways. But don't loose your devotion. I have heard one Gyani Ji saying that "Ek baar bani zubaan te aa gayi, te samajh lena ki us insaan ne tar he jana hai. Is janam vich ya fir agle janam vich ya fir agle kai janma vich. Par Guru Jee ne us insaan nu taar ke sach khand le ke he jana hai jis insaan di zubaan vich ek baar bhi bani aa gayi".

Lesson 3. Continuous Gurmat Abhayas is needed to keep elevating ones spiritual realms.

Lesson 4. One should not get lost in finding answers to the small miracle which start happening in ones life. The person should treat it as Prasad from Akal Purakh and thank him for the same.
Great contributions here - i might be wrong , however I feel Gurbani/naam both are compatible either way - backwards compatibility!!

There cannot be - this way and that way -- but only a way -- which is abhyas of Gurbani or naam - goal can be reached either way.

Story comes to mind of Bhai Rajinder Singh singapore wale -- kirtania with mahan avastaha : who knew which day and time he will be leaving this world and two hours before leaving sang his own alanaya de shabad and antam sanskaar shabads.!
Gurpreet Singh, if when you say wet you mean your eyes become cool, like cold ice water, thats one of the jewels of Naam. You just have to not worry about feeling that sensation or wanting to feel it but just feel your love for Naam and Gurbani. Don't focus on that coolness, that will come itself, keep focusing on the Bani and Naam.
thanks ji. ik gal tan eh v a k i' m not properly answered by some persons and one person mocked my feelings. so i generally avoid sharing or asking anything, but thanks to u all. u attended me well. and this paapi missed morning nitnem today. anyway i'll try not to miss it next time at any condition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login