ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Patkas

Posted by Gurdas Singh 
Patkas
January 25, 2010 01:13AM

Imagine how less beautiful this picture would be if the patka was invented back in 1903.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Patkas
January 25, 2010 04:54AM
what a nice picture, what is that white pole behind that person, a light perhaps?
January 25, 2010 08:06AM
Patkas are such a terrible disease that has eaten up the dastaars. Patkas are a relatively new invention. Our parents did not used to wear them, when they were children. It seems like Bishan Singh Bedi, the ex cricketer popularized the Patkas and Harbhajan Singh, another cricketer has popularized wearing a cap. Bishan Singh Bedi was from 1970s and that's when the patkas became really popular amongst the urban Sikhs. First came the patkas and then the caps on patkas. If Sikhs had been wearing dastaar, the cap would not have become popular since the cap does not fit on a dastaar but it fits perfectly well on the patka.

Normally, a child or a teenager who wants to cut hair, first starts wearing a cap on his patka. Then when he and other become comfortable with his new look, he one day gets hazaamat (hair cut) done.

Harbhajan Singh is such a shameless creature. He literally has totally removed his beard and trims it so close to the skin that it seems he has cut shaved it. He joora is so small that it seems he has cut his hair too. Why the hell is he keeping such a distorted Sikh image?

In 2005, we went to India and there I noticed a new fashion of patkas. The kids were doing joora, literally on their forehead. The joora seemed more like a horn than a joora. There were a bunch of kids standing outside their school and I started conversing with them. After a short casual talk, I brought up the issue of their jooras on forehead. They replied that they are copying Bhaji (that's what they call Harbhajan). Such is the effect of these heroes on youngsters. Ishmeet Singh, who died recently, was a very good influence on the kids since he kept uncut beard and used to wear a Dastaar. Alas, he died so young. There are hardly any good role models for young Sikhs.

Patkas and caps both should be strictly banned.

Kulbir Singh
January 25, 2010 11:49AM
patka is disgusting. kids who wear them look funny. dastaar is noble and enhances the personality.
January 25, 2010 02:58PM
AKJ bulletin talk about the patka they called the patka a disease. I cant stand patkeh they look horrible a dastar makes everyone look some much more maturer and respectable.
January 25, 2010 03:58PM
Strange thing is, the term "Patka" actually means turban in Pashto (language of the Pathans).
January 25, 2010 06:24PM
this is a lovely image.

i have one question though... why are the men in the background bare-headed? can anyone shed light on this?
January 25, 2010 06:29PM
First time I came across the popular use of Patkey was in the UK. Ive been to the UK a few times the last time I went I was bewildered to see how popular the patka was. My previous visits I never realized the patka but ever Since this montey "singh" character has become popular the patka has become popular. Before only children would wear these things now adult Singhs start wearing them.They look more like a gangster then a Singh. tHE PATKA is similar to the gangsters DO- rag.
January 27, 2010 09:21AM
I have heard that in olden days, in the parkarma, head covering was not mandatory. That's why you see some bare headed people in the picture.
January 29, 2010 11:45AM
An historic image is that. Simplicity, innocence, respect of elders & institutions, no trace of dress or fashion non sense, limited resources; all that is rare to find, now.
January 30, 2010 05:27PM
I have a katha by Sant Kartar Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale who was jathedar of Damdami Taksal before Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale. In the middle of the katha, he stops, and it seems like some kid in patka comes and does matha tek to Guru Sahib. Then Sant Kartar Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale is heard saying "oye bhujangiya, uthh! ja dastaar sajaake aa...Guru di hajoori vich khabardaar pattka paake aya".
January 30, 2010 10:13PM
Mehtab Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a katha by Sant Kartar Singh Ji Khalsa
> Bhindranwale who was jathedar of Damdami Taksal
> before Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale.
> In the middle of the katha, he stops, and it seems
> like some kid in patka comes and does matha tek to
> Guru Sahib. Then Sant Kartar Singh Ji Khalsa
> Bhindranwale is heard saying "oye bhujangiya,
> uthh! ja dastaar sajaake aa...Guru di hajoori vich
> khabardaar pattka paake aya".

I feel like saying the same thing when I see monay come into the Gurdwara with hats on or beenies on. Alot of people just dont know better so its not really their fault. But their are many older people that know this is not respectful yet they still wear it. Its a complete shame.

I dont understand why Gurdwara committees do not put up signs that say " please do not wear hats or beenies inside the Darbar Sahib. Its hard to tell people to come inside with a dastar. What do we tell such people? Even some of the young kesdhari boys come to the Gurdwara with a patka that does not completely cover their head, so they are walking around the Gurdwara with the kes uncovered. This mini patka was very popular 10 years ago. Fortunately this fashoin has died out more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login