What does heading of this Shabad mean?

Posted by Bhagatjot Singh 
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ਸ੍ਰੀਰਾਗ ਬਾਣੀ ਭਗਤ ਬੇਣੀ ਜੀਉ ਕੀ ॥ ਪਹਰਿਆ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਗਾਵਣਾ ॥

ਰੇ ਨਰ ਗਰਭ ਕੁੰਡਲ ਜਬ ਆਛਤ ਉਰਧ ਧਿਆਨ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗਾ ॥

ਮਿਰਤਕ ਪਿੰਡਿ ਪਦ ਮਦ ਨਾ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਏਕੁ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਸੁ ਨਾਗਾ ॥

ਤੇ ਦਿਨ ਸੰਮਲੁ ਕਸਟ ਮਹਾ ਦੁਖ ਅਬ ਚਿਤੁ ਅਧਿਕ ਪਸਾਰਿਆ ॥

ਗਰਭ ਛੋਡਿ ਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਮੰਡਲ ਆਇਆ ਤਉ ਨਰਹਰਿ ਮਨਹੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਆ ॥੧॥

This is only this first stanza of this Shabad...

I want to know what the bolded pangtee means. What is the "tune of pehriyaa?"

There are many other shabads and vaars that also mention some sort of specific tune that is linked with the shabad..

Here is another example;

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ਵਾਰ ਮਲਾਰ ਕੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਰਾਣੇ ਕੈਲਾਸ ਤਥਾ ਮਾਲਦੇ ਕੀ ਧੁਨਿ ॥

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥

ਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਮਨੁ ਰਹਸੀਐ ਜਿਉ ਵੁਠੈ ਧਰਣਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ॥

ਸਭ ਦਿਸੈ ਹਰੀਆਵਲੀ ਸਰ ਭਰੇ ਸੁਭਰ ਤਾਲ ॥

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Veer Jee I don't know too much on this but there is the also the famous example from Sri Asa Kee Vaar "vaar saloka naal, salok bhi mahele pehle ke likhe, tunde as raajai kee dhunni" With the 22 Vaars from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee there is also 9 Dhunnis accompanying them, Bhai Abdallah Jee and Bhai NaTha Jee who were the first Dhaadis comissioned by Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee used to do sing dhaadi vaars of the 22 Vaars in the 9 Dhunnis at Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib, a feat that took them some months to complete (I know this is going off topic, but this also proves that Dhaadi was done originally exclusively of Gurbani, something that modern dhaadi and kavishari jaths conveniently omit when telling us the history of Dhaadi, i.e. started by Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee to instill Bir Rass etc)

Anyway, it seems that Dhunnis were some type of musical measures tones and pace (similar but different to a Raag) to sing Vaars in, but over time it appears this has been lost, not even pakke Raagis like Bhai Balbir Singh Jee know how to do them. Maybe the Gursikhs can share more?
The Hukam - ਪਹਰਿਆ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਗਾਵਣਾ ॥ - basically means that this Shabad is to be sung in the same Ghar as the Baani called "Pehre" was sung in. So what Ghar is Pehre to be sung? Let's check it out:

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਪਹਰੇ ਘਰੁ ੧ ॥

As stated above, the Ghar for Pehre is "Ghar 1".

Many Raagis who are adept in Gurmat Sangeet are of the opinion that Ghar has to do with Taal. Rest Guru Sahib knows.

Daas
Kulbir Singh
Following from Darpan:

ਵਾਰ ਮਲਾਰ ਕੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਰਾਣੇ ਕੈਲਾਸ ਤਥਾ ਮਾਲਦੇ ਕੀ ਧੁਨਿ ॥ (੧੨੭੮)

ਕੈਲਾਸ ਦੇਉ ਤੇ ਮਾਲ ਦੇਉ ਦੋ ਸੱਕੇ ਭਰਾ ਸਨ, ਜੰਮੂ ਕਸ਼ਮੀਰ ਦੇ ਰਾਜੇ ਤੇ ਜਹਾਂਗੀਰ ਦਾ ਹਾਲਾ ਭਰਦੇ ਸਨ । ਇਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਕਮਜ਼ੋਰ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਜਹਾਂਗੀਰ ਨੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਭੇਤੀ ਨੂੰ ਵਿੱਚ ਪਾ ਕੇ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਆਪੋ ਵਿਚ ਲੜਾ ਦਿੱਤਾ; ਤਕੜਾ ਜੁੱਧ ਮਚਿਆ, ਮਾਲ ਦੇਉ ਜਿੱਤ ਗਿਆ, ਕੈਲਾਸ ਦੇਉ ਪਕੜਿਆ ਗਿਆ । ਪਰ ਫਿਰ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਭਰਾ ਸੁਲਹ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਪਿਆਰ ਨਾਲ ਰਲ ਬੈਠੇ, ਅੱਧਾ ਅੱਧਾ ਰਾਜ ਵੰਡ ਲਿਆ । ਢਾਢੀਆਂ ਨੇ ਇਸ ਜੰਗ ਦੀ ਵਾਰ ਲਿਖੀ ।

ਇਸ ਵਾਰ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਨਮੂਨੇ ਦੀ ਪਉੜੀ:

ਧਰਤ ਘੋੜਾ, ਪਰਬਤ ਪਲਾਣ, ਸਿਰ ਟੱਟਰ ਅੰਬਰ ॥ ਨੌ ਸੌ ਨਦੀ ਨੜਿੰਨਵੇ ਰਾਣਾ ਜਲ ਕੰਬਰ ॥ ਢੁਕਾ ਰਾਇ ਅਮੀਰ ਦੇਵ ਕਰਿ ਮੇਘ ਅਡੰਬਰ ॥ ਆਣਿਤ ਖੰਡਾ ਰਾਣਿਆਂ ਕੈਲਾਸ਼ੈ ਅੰਦਰ ॥ ਬਿਜਲੀ ਜਿਉਂ ਚਮਕਾਣੀਆਂ ਤੇਗਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਅੰਬਰ ॥ ਮਾਲਦੇਉ ਕੈਲਾਸ਼ ਨੂੰ ਬੱਧਾ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਬਰ ॥ ਫਿਰ ਅੱਧਾ ਧਨ ਮਾਲਦੇਉ ਛਡਿਆ ਗੜ੍ਹ ਅੰਦਰ ॥ ਮਾਲਦੇਉ ਜਸੁ ਖਟਿਆ ਵਾਂਗ ਸ਼ਾਹ ਸਿਕੰਦਰ ॥

ਜਿਸ ਸੁਰ ਵਿਚ ਮਾਲਦੇਉ ਦੀ ਇਹ ਵਾਰ ਲੋਕ ਗਾਉਂਦੇ ਸਨ, ਉਸੇ ਸੁਰ ਵਿਚ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਵ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਇਹ ਵਾਰ ਗਾਉਣ ਦੀ ਹਿਦੈਤ ਹੈ ।

I read an article on Ghar which stated that it referred to home-note of siranda or first note of the Shabad. According to the author, siranda has 17 surs as opposed to 7 of harmonium which is why there is Ghar 17 in Gurbani. It cannot mean taal because there is no one matra taal.
There is no one matra taal but dadra has itss sum on first beat/matra.
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Waheguru ji Ka khalsa, Waheguru ji Ki Fateh

Many Raagis who are adept in Gurmat Sangeet ...

Sorry Bhai kulbir Singh jio if I offend you because there is no such a thing like Gurmat Sangeet in Sikhi. If there is one, then it should also be given at the time of Amrit Sanchaar like GURMAT NAAM, GURMAT Rehat, Nitnem and etc. Sangat jio, please do not take my comment as, that I am against raag keertan infact I like the keertan sung in Nirdarath raags but not the AAAAH.. EEEEH during that keertan. It is the best of one's ability to sing Gurbani in Nirdarath Raags. Again there is no such thing as Gurmat Sangeet. Who can claim that he/she is singing exactly the same Guru Gobind Singh Jee sung Asa ki vaar at the bank of river Satluj?

With Regards,
Daas
Sat Bachan Bhai Jasjit Singh jeeo. Kujh Shabda da her-pher ho giya jee. Bhul Baksh laini jee.

Kulbir Singh
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ॥ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥
Sat Bachan Bhai Jasjit Singh jeeo. Kujh Shabda da her-pher ho giya jee. Bhul Baksh laini jee.
ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀਉ ਦਾਸ ਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਨਿਕੜੀ ਜਿਹੀ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਹੀ ਸੀ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਕਿ ਗੌਰ ਫੁਰਮਾਇਆ।

ਗੁਰੂ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਭੌਰਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ,
ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login