ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The five-handed Sikh General - An amazing tale of Valour

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
The Punj Hathaa Jarnail – Sardar Nidhaan Singh

Though Sardar Nidhaan Singh jee had only two hands but he was called “Punj Hath Jarnail” meaning the general with 5 hands. Sher-e-Punjab Raja Ranjit Singh gave him this title after the Nashaura war with the Pathaans.

It was the battle of Nashaura where one of the greatest Sikh leader – Akali Phoola Singh jee attained martyrdom. Akali jee was the Jathedar of Akali army of Khalsa Panth. He was also the Jathedar of Siri Akal Takhat Sahib.

When Akali jee moved forward with handful of his Akali Singhs, despite pleas from Raja Ranjit Singh to stop, the Khalsa army was having hard time standing there watching their Akali brothers fighting the enemy with much greater strength, on their own. Actually Akali jee had performed an ardaas to proceed to the battlefield but right after the ardaas, Raja Ranjit Singh got information from his spy about the real strength of the enemy. Raja Ranjit Singh at that time thought it was more prudent to hold on until more Sikh reinforcement from Lahore. But Akali jee refused to wait as he had performed the ardaas and wanted to honour ardaas at all costs.

(Akali jee attained martyrdom in this battle)

Akali jee moved forward without caring for his life. His few thousand men were nowhere near the tens of thousands of enemy army. The Akali Singhs were greatly outnumbered by the enemy but Akali Phoola Singh jee had firm faith in Vaheguru and wanted to fulfil his ardaas at all cost. As they were galloping ahead, the enemy opened fire and the Akalis started falling. The Khalsa army that was waiting for the order of Raja Ranjit Singh, was getting increasingly impatient at the slaughtering of their Akali veers. They were having hard time being mere spectators and getting their brothers slaughtered by the enemy.

As the battle enraged, Raja Ranjit Singh could not hold himself back any longer. He ordered his general, Sardar Nidhaan Singh to move forward behind the Akalis. Sardar Nidhaan Singh jee’s happiness knew no bounds when he got signal from Raja Ranjit Singh to move forward. With full force he moved forward with his brave men. He fell on the enemy like lightening. They successfully opened the enemy encirclement around the Akalis. So strong was their attack that the enemy had to back off.

The enemy soon came back with reinforcement and a fierce battle ensued thereafter. From behind the mountains, the enemy was firing bullets like heavy rainfall. One of the bullets hit Sardar Nidhaan Singh’s horse and his horse died on the spot. Before he could move to a new horse, the enemy from all sides surrounded him and started attacking him. Such moments in battlefields result in sure death but Sardar jee was not an ordinary soldier. He was an amritdhaari tyaar bar tyaar Khalsa of Guru Gobind Singh jee. Before they could kill him, Sardar jee quickly took out his sword to defend himself.

At this time, he was surrounded by dozens of pathaan warriors. We should realize that Pathaans too are very brave soldiers. They are known for their valour. The Singhs were trying to get to their general but he had gone too deep inside the enemy force. Sardar jee fought with such splendid war skills and bravery that the enemy had to take a step back. Raja Ranjit Singh who was watching this fight from a hilltop was very pleased at Sardar jee’s performance.

As he was fighting, five Ghazees (Muslim veteran fighters) challenged him. It seemed that Sardar Nidhaan Singh had taken an embodiment of angel of death for Pathaans. His movements in this battle reflected the Taandav (Taandav is the dance that Shiva is said to perform before destroying the world) of Shiva. Sardar jee with a loud Jaikaara accepted the challenge of 5 Ghazees. The battlefield became still to watch the battle between Sardar jee and the 5 Gaazees.

Sardar jee was blocking their attacks very diligently and swiftly; at the same time attacking them. He killed the first Gaazee and placed his sword near his feet. Then he cut of the wrist of the second gaazee and placed that along with his sword too near the previous sword. This way, Sardar jee seized swords from all Gaazees and martyred all of them.

After killing the 5 great gaazees of Pathaans, Sardar jee challenged other pathaans for fight. No one moved forward. By this time the Khalsa army reached him and he was taken back to a safe spot. Khalsa won this battle but the price it paid was very heavy. Akali Phoola Singh jee attained martyrdom in this battle.

Sardar jee’s status in the Sikh army got elevated greatly after this battle. He was given the title of “Punj Hatha Jarnail” meaning the General with 5 hands.

Today, it is hard to find warriors of Sardar jee’s level. The Khalsa Panth is known for it martial skills and if we lose these skills, I am afraid we will lose our distinctiveness.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Wonderful Wonderful

All gursikhs should do some sort of martial arts, the khalsa is niaara sant and siphaee. Also typical punjabee food and diets are really unhealthy, we become aloo and most of us couldnt even run down our local street without huffing and puffing.

Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh Jee has stated that true khalsa bir rass is through naam and naam only. But it doesn't mean that we should not do physical training as it Dasmesh Jees hukam

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸੋਇ ਜੁ ਚਭੈ ਤੁਰੰਗ ॥
He is the Khalsa who is forever ready for battle.

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਹੀਨ ਇਹ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਰਹਿਤਵੰਤ ਖਾਲਸ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ॥
He who never abandons his weapon . Recognise them as the disciplined and pure Khalsa.
Too bad we don't have Singhs like Sardar Nidhan Singh Jee anymore. Singhs today need to start training in martial arts and keep fit. When it comes to fighting, a Singh should be able to at least take on 5 opponents just as Sardar Nidhan Singh Jee did. But the spiritual aspect should not be ignored.
Bhai Kulbir Singh please post more articles like this as this will inspire our gatka class in Slough.

ਧਨੁਰ ਬਾਨ ਧਾਰੇ ॥ ਛਕੇ ਛੈਲ ਭਾਰੇ ॥
He carries bow and arrow. His winsome form enhances His beauty.

ਲਏ ਖੱਗ ਐਸੇ ॥ ਮਹਾਂ ਬੀਰ ਜੈਸੇ ॥ 37॥
He wields the sword like a great warrior.(37)

ਜੁਰੇ ਜੰਗ ਜੋਰੰ ॥ ਕਰੇ ਜੁੱਧ ਘੋਰੰ ॥
He aggressively engages in war and fights frightening encounters.

ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਦਿਆਲੰ ॥ ਸਦਾਯੰ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੰ ॥ 38॥
He is the font of mercy, the treasure of compassion and ever benevolent.(38)

Maharaj kirp karan that we can fight like the the panj chor and our world dushman like Punj Hathaa Jarnail – Sardar Nidhaan Singh Ji grinning smiley
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

Beautiful post, Veer Jee! Thanks for sharing. As a personal story, Guru Sahib blessed my Singhni and I with a Bhuchangee Singh in August 2009. The hukamnaamaa for his name was:

ਰਾਗੁਸੂਹੀਮਹਲਾ੩ਘਰੁ੧ਅਸਟਪਦੀਆ ੴਸਤਿਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ਨਾਮੈਹੀਤੇਸਭੁਕਿਛੁਹੋਆਬਿਨੁਸਤਿਗੁਰਨਾਮੁਨਜਾਪੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਕਾਸਬਦੁਮਹਾਰਸੁਮੀਠਾਬਿਨੁਚਾਖੇਸਾਦੁਨਜਾਪੈ ॥

When deciding on his name, everyone had their own suggestions starting with letter "N"/nanaa. I read about Bhai Nidhaan Singh Jee, and told my family the story of "Panj Hath Jarnail." What an amazing Singh! So the decision came naturally with Guru Sahib's apaar kirpaa. Needless to say, our son's name is Nidhaan Singh. We can only do Ardaas that "puraatan rooh" such as Bhai Sahib's re-join the Panth these days.

Tarnveer Singh
Tarnveer Singh jee, Vadhaayee to you for the daat of Bhujangi. Guru Sahib khushiaan bakshan.

And what a wonderful, manly name Nidhaan Singh is. The image you get in your mind at the sound of this name is that of Bir Khalsa. When our elder son gifted to us by Guru Sahib, we too got the alphabet "nanna" and I was very much in favour of Nidhaan Singh but other family members were in favour of "Nihaal Singh" and this is what our son is called today. Tuhada bacha vee saada hee bacha hai. So the wish of naming our son Nidhaan Singh has been fulfilled now.

Kulbir Singh
Great Singh! thumbs upthumbs up
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

Veer Jee Kulbir Singh Jeeo, that is too amazing... how Akaal Purakh creates these games for us. Can you believe that I personally wanted to name our Bhuchangee Singh Nihaal Singh. It was at the top of my "list." But after many discussions with family members and local GurSikh sangataa, we were blessed with Nidhaan Singh. I love both names equally. Hopefully daas and chottaa Nidhaan Singh can have darshan of Guru Sahib's Nihaal Singh, bhuchangee of Baba Kulbir Singh Jee, some day in the future. Maybe you can bring the parivaar here to California sometime for a visit. AKJ annual samaagam will be in summer sometime... it's too cold up there in Toronto!

Tarnveer Singh
Who became Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht after Akali Phoola SIngh Ji became shaheed?
Veer Tarnveer Singh, what you have narrated about your bhujangi's name is truly amazing. Thanks for the invitation to visit California. If Guru Sahib does kirpa, we will have darshan of sangat there but I don't know when. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
The reading of this sakhi will invoke bir rass in any Singh/Kaur. I agree, we need to train in some sort of martial art. When people see my amazing built, they don't believe me that I am a Sikh. Then I have to tell them that this body was born as a Brahmin, which explains why it looks like a tooth-pick. However, several Brahmins have big tummies, I don't know how/why I got left out.

Anyways, on a more serious note, talking about names, I can relate to everyone's experiences. Sardar Mehtab Singh had taken revenge for the sacrilege that Massa Ranghar had done at Sri Darbar Sahib. On June 6, 2004, it was the 20th anniversary of the day when the Indian Army attacked Sri Darbar Sahib. That is the day I was named "Mehtab". What a day to be given that name! 10 weeks later I was blessed with Amrit, and thats when it became "Mehtab Singh". Mehtab in Persian means moonlight. Singh in Sanskrit means lion. What is "moonlight lion" ?

May Gurujess bless me and all others to stand upto the true meaning of our name.
A must read.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login