ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Piarey Bhai Hema Ji

Posted by piyasi chatrik 
Piarey Bhai Hema Ji
September 03, 2010 09:44AM
Reading Sri Asth Guru Chamatkar by Bhai Veer Singh sometime ago, Chatrik came over this sakhi of Bhai Hema ji. Since, then Chatrik have picked up this same book to just read Bhai Hema ji’ s sakhi alone, a few times now. It's just very moving.

It’s better to read it in BHai Veer Singh ji’s own words though.

May Sri Guru ji be merciful on Papi in translating this Sakhi.

**************************************Bhai Hema Ji*******************************************

While traveling, one day Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji reached Khan Pur with 5 gursikhs with him. This place is near the current day Taran Tarn and beside Sri Goindval Sahib. Outside the village, there were big trees. Sri Guru ji together with his 5 Gursikhs sat under the shade of 1 tree and all immersed themselves in Naam.
In the evening it started to rain, but no one came out of the village to offer any assistance.( it was the custom in those day to help out travelers ). No once came out, as it’s inhabitants were Sarvareye .(a Muslim sect to which Bhai Manj also belonged previously).
A Sikh with the name of Bidhi Chand who was with Sri Guru Arjan Dev ji did benti, “Guru ji, Should I go into the village and find a place for us to stay for the night ?”
Sri Guru ji replied, “There is no need to do that, stay calm and rely on our Beloved’s support, our Master will definitely take care of us.”
Bhai Bidhi Chand again pleaded and insisted he should go into the village. Sri Guru ji then gave his permission to Bhai Bidhi Chand to look for some lodging in the Khan Pur village. When he did went into the village, no one in the village wanted to entertain him. Top of that, they also ridiculed and insulted him, Bhai Bidhi Chand came back with his head down. Sri Guru Ji told him, “Just remain where we are, our Beloved is worried for us, HE will himself send for someone”.
After a few moments, a Sikh arrived. His name was Bhai Hema . He used to stay alone outside the village in a small hut. He came into Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji’s presence and made a humble plea, “Dear SatGuroo, this slave of yours has a small hut. Even this small hut is very badly damaged and it is an unworthy place for You. But, if it is pleasing to You, then please do come to my hut with me to take some rest and shelter there, it will bring me utmost happiness to know that there is a roof on my Master in this rain. Otherwise, it makes me feel terribly bad that my beloved SatGuroo and gursikh veers are in the rain getting wet and while I sit under the roof of my hut”.
Seeing Bhai Hema Ji’s loving devotion, Sri Guru ji instantly stood up and walked with him to his very poor and badly damaged hut. Bhai Hema Ji’ immediately prepared some food for Sri Guru Ji and 5 other gursikhs , he served them all lovingly and his heart was filled with happiness. Reflecting on Bhai Hema Ji’s condition in intense poverty and still being a loving devotee of Sri Vahiguroo jee, Sri Guru Arjan Dev himself described Bhai Hema Jis condition in Sri GuruBani ji:

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
ਬਸਤਾ ਤੂਟੀ ਝੁੰਪੜੀ ਚੀਰ ਸਭਿ ਛਿੰਨਾ ॥
ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਪਤਿ ਨ ਆਦਰੋ ਉਦਿਆਨ ਭ੍ਰਮਿੰਨਾ ॥
ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਨ ਇਠ ਧਨ ਰੂਪਹੀਣ ਕਿਛੁ ਸਾਕੁ ਨ ਸਿੰਨਾ ॥
ਰਾਜਾ ਸਗਲੀ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਮਨੁ ਭਿੰਨਾ ॥
ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਧੂੜਿ ਮਨੁ ਉਧਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਇ ਸੁਪ੍ਰਸੰਨਾ ॥੭॥

( ~Ang 707~ )

Pauree:
He (Bhai Hema ) dwells in a broken-down shack, in tattered clothes,
with no social status, no honor and no respect; he wanders in the wilderness,
with no friend or lover, without wealth, beauty, relatives or relations.
Even so, he is the king of the whole world, if his mind is imbued with the Lord's Name.
With the dust of his feet, men are redeemed, because God is very pleased with him. ||7||

Sri Guru ji stayed with Bhai Hema ji for a few days and fulfilled all the desires of his devotion. Deep down, Bhai Hema Ji had the desire to breathe his last breaths on Sri Guru Jis beloved Charan Kamal. Bhai Hema Ji was a Puran Gursikh(spiritually accomplished soul) and he knew his end was near. . Bhai Hema ji laid down prostrated and humbly kept his forehead on Sri Guru Arjan Dev Jis beloved feet and said, “Bless me! Merge this slave of yours into your beloved Charan Kamal”. Bhai Hema ji pulled his breaths into his Dasam Duar with his forehead on Sri Guru ji’s feet, while laying down prostrated and left for Sachkhand. Sri Guru ji himself did Antim Sanskar of Bhai Hema Ji’s blessed body before leaving Khan Pur.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chota veer
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Piarey Bhai Hema Ji
September 03, 2010 01:35PM
Vaheguru vaheguru, this is one of my favourite saakhis. Many thanks for the write up Veer Jee. There is also another shabad Guru Jee uchared, referring to Bhai Hema Jee, that is this one on Ang 745:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ||
ik oankaar sathigur prasaadh |
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਰਾਗੁ ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਘਰੁ ੪
raag soohee mehalaa 5 ghar 4
Raag Soohee, Fifth Mehl, Fourth House:

ਭਲੀ ਸੁਹਾਵੀ ਛਾਪਰੀ ਜਾ ਮਹਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਏ ||
bhalee suhaavee shaaparee jaa mehi gun gaaeae |
Even a crude hut is sublime and beautiful, if the Lord's Praises are sung within it.

ਕਿਤ ਹੀ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਧਉਲਹਰ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਸਰਾਏ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||
kith hee kaam n dhoulehar jith har bisaraaeae |1| rehaao |
Those mansions where the Lord is forgotten are useless. ||1||Pause||

ਅਨਦੁ ਗਰੀਬੀ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਚਿਤਿ ਆਏ ||
anadh gareebee saadhasang jith prabh chith aaeae |
Even poverty is bliss, if God comes to mind in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ਜਲਿ ਜਾਉ ਏਹੁ ਬਡਪਨਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਲਪਟਾਏ ||੧||
jal jaao eaehu baddapanaa maaeiaa lapattaaeae |1|
This worldly glory might just as well burn; it only traps the mortals in Maya. ||1||

ਪੀਸਨੁ ਪੀਸਿ ਓਢਿ ਕਾਮਰੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਨੁ ਸੰਤੋਖਾਏ ||
peesan pees out kaamaree sukh man santhokhaaeae |
One may have to grind corn, and wear a coarse blanket, but still, one can find peace of mind and contentment.

ਐਸੋ ਰਾਜੁ ਨ ਕਿਤੈ ਕਾਜਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਨਹ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਏ ||੨||
aiso raaj n kithai kaaj jith neh thripathaaeae |2|
Even empires are of no use at all, if they do not bring satisfaction. ||2||

ਨਗਨ ਫਿਰਤ ਰੰਗਿ ਏਕ ਕੈ ਓਹੁ ਸੋਭਾ ਪਾਏ ||
nagan firath rang eaek kai ouhu sobhaa paaeae |
Someone may wander around naked, but if he loves the One Lord, he receives honor and respect.

ਪਾਟ ਪਟੰਬਰ ਬਿਰਥਿਆ ਜਿਹ ਰਚਿ ਲੋਭਾਏ ||੩||
paatt pattanbar birathiaa jih rach lobhaaeae |3|
Silk and satin clothes are worthless, if they lead to greed. ||3||

ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਤੁਮ੍ਰੈ ਹਾਥਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਪਿ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਾਏ ||
sabh kish thumaarai haath prabh aap karae karaaeae |
Everything is in Your Hands, God. You Yourself are the Doer, the Cause of causes.

ਸਾਸਿ ਸਾਸਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਰਹਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਨੁ ਪਾਏ ||੪||੧||੪੧||
saas saas simarath rehaa naanak dhaan paaeae |4|1|41|
With each and every breath, may I continue to remember You. Please, bless Nanak with this gift. ||4||1||41||
September 04, 2010 01:38AM
thanks for the translation... keep them coming! smiling smiley
September 04, 2010 12:08PM
Beautiful Saakhi Chatrik jeeo and thanks for sharing it with us.

A Gursikh remembering Dr Surinder Singh jee sang this Shabad in extreme Bairaag. It was a great moment.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login