ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dhan Dhan Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji- Sakhis

Posted by A Singh 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh
Dass really enjoined the thread about the sakhis of Guru Har Rai Sahib Ji ( [gurmatbibek.com]), it would be great if the Sangat make similar threads on the ten Guru Sahibaan, starting with this thread about Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

baabaaneeaa kehaaneeaa puth saputh karaen ||
The stories of one's ancestors make the children good children.

j sathigur bhaavai s ma(n)n lain saeee karam karaen ||
They accept what is pleasing to the Will of the True Guru, and act accordingly.

Ang 951, Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj

Let us share sakhis about our great Guru Sahibaans.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

Thousands of Muslims were becoming followers of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji; Khawaja Raushan was a very respected Muslim Faqir with thousands of people visiting him to pay him respect and get boons. However Khawaja Raushan’s own mind was restless, he was in search of a true Guru/Pir. Once a friend told him about Guru Ji, Khawaja Raushan reached Kiratpur and met Guru Sahib. When he heard Guru Ji’s sermons he was so impressed that he decided to stay at Kiratpur. He became an admirer of Guru Sahib; he started doing Seva of Guru Ji’s horses. One day Guru Ji went out for riding his horse, Khawaja Raushan ran behind Guru Ji in Bairag. He ran more than a mile after Guru Ji, who then dismounted his horse and embraced Khawaja Raushan with great love. Guru Ji then gave Khawaja Raushan Charan Amrit and Naam as well as spiritual Gian and sent him to Doaba to preach Sikhi.

Khawaja Raushan was going from one village to another for preaching Sikhi, one day he met Sayyad Jaani Shah who was wandering in search of sublime bliss. Jaani Shah had met many Sadhus and Faqirs but could not get spiritual Gian from anyone. Khawaja Raushan told him he should go to Kiratpur to achieve your aim. Firstly Jaani Shah did not believe him but when Khawaja Raushan told his story he was determined to go. When he reached Kiratpur and sat in front of the door of Guru Ji’s house and cried loudly “Janni Ko Jaani Milaa Do (Let Jaani meet his dear one )”.

He repeated these words the whole day but Guru Ji paid no attention to him. Guru Ji did not even enquire about to was saying these words. Khawaja Raushan had guided Jaani Shah to not lose patience. In the evening Guru Ji asked his Sikhs to close the curtain. But Jaani Shah did not move and continued to speak the same words. Then Guru Ji gave a bag of money to one Sikh and told him to give it to Jaani Shah. Jaani Shah did not care about the money and started crying out more loudly. Guru Ji then said “If you want to meet you dear one then you should jump into the river”.

Jaani Shah hearing these words he ran towards the river. Guru Ji send some riders to chase after him, before the Sikhs could catch him he jumped into the river. The Sikhs jumped in and caught hold of him and brought him to Guru JI.

Guru Ji embraced Jaani Shah with great love and blessed him with Charan Amrit and Naam along with spiritual Gian. The contact of Guru Ji’s hand when he embraced him, gave him the sublime bliss which he was looking for. He started attending Guru Ji’s Darbar daily and he stared hearing anand shabad .

(Gurdwara Baba Jaani Shah)

One day Guru Ji asked him to go to his village to preach Sikhi, he was reluctant to leave Kiratpur. He said to Guru Ji “My lord, I cannot bear to be separated from you. I daily enjoy singing Kirtan, your sermons enlighten me. I feel as if I am living in heaven. All my desires have been fulfilled. I would not be able to get anywhere in this divine atmosphere.” Guru Ji acknowledged his request and allowed him to stay at Kiratpur.
WHat a beautiful Sakhi it reminds me of the blessed city of Kirtapur.
Beautiful saakhi! This reminds us of the saakhi when Bhai Fauja Singh took amrit. He was being tested by the Punj Pyare in similar way as Bhai Jaani was tested by Siri Guru Har Gobind Sahib jee.

Kulbir Singh
i love this sakhi. I love the part where Jaani says to Guruji, “Janni Ko Jaani Milaa Do (Let Jaani meet his dear one )”.

At Kiratpur there lived a Faqir named Baba Budhan Shah who was born into a Arab (Sufi Muslim) family who named him Shams-ud-din, (Sun of the faith). He was staying there since the time of Guru Nanak Dev Ji who had met him there. Baba Budhan Shah was keeping goats and took only the milk of the goats as his food. He also kept a lion that helped him grazing and guarding the goats. The lion was also living off the milk of the goats. When Guru Nanak met him, Baba Budhan Shah offered Guru Ji a bowl of goat’s milk. Guru Nanak Dev Ji said he would take the milk in his 6th roop (form). Baba Budhan Shah then became a devotee of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and got Charan Amrit and Naam. Baba Budhan Shah was since then was waiting for Guru Ji to come in his 6th roop (form). H e was confident about meeting Guru Ji.

(This pic is Gurdwara in Kiratpur Sahib which is situated on a mound, commemorates Guru Nanak Dev’s meeting with Pir Buddan Shah)

One day Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji with Baba Gurditta (Guru Ji’s eldest son and Guru Har Rai sahib Ji’ s father) went to see Baba Budhan Shah, when there Guru Ji said “Father, please give us the milk which Guru Nanak Dev promised to take in this 6th roop ”. Baba Budhan Shah at once become alert and saw them with great curiosity. Baba Ji said: “Light of God is the same but countenance and embodiment is different. If you show me the same divine face of Guru Nanak Dev Ji then I would be very pleased to offer you the milk.” Then Guru Ji asked Baba Gurditta to go home, take a bath and put on robes similar to Guru Nanak Dev Ji`s. When he returned Baba Budhan Shah saw him in the roop of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Baba Ji then showed Baba Gurditta great reverence and requested him to sit down. Baba Ji then brought two bowls of milk and offered them to Guru Ji and Baba Gurditta.

(This pic commemorates the meeting of Guru Hargobind Ji and Baba Bhuddan Shah.)

Baba Budhan Shah`s doubts were all cleared and whenever he asked Baba Gurditta an question he gave the true answer. At last the desire of Baba Budhan Shah was fulfilled (giving milk to Guru Ji in his sixth roop). Baba Ji then left this world and went to Sach Khand.
When it was time for the Emperor to visit Agra he invited the Guru to accompany him. The Guru after repeated invitations, at last consented, As they were hunting on the way, the Emperor took the opportunity of telling him what people were saying against him—' O Guru, my ministers and staff tell me that, although you in reality to have no connection with worldly affairs, yet you call yourself the true king of the world, and your Sikhs call me who am descended from emperors, who am the lord of many lands, and the cherisher of my subjects, a false king. Is all this true ? '

The Guru replied, ' I have never told any one to call me true king, but where there exists love between people, there is no need of formality, and a man is treated as he treats others. I love my Sikhs in propor­tion to the love they bear me. In Guru Nanak's view God is the only Emperor. He has said in the Japji Sahib :—

He is Emperor, King of kings; Nanak, all must remain subject to His will.

The Emperor listened but was not convinced, and he and the Guru went off to their respective tents.

In the afternoon a young grass-cutter, hearing that the Guru had come, desired to see him. In reply to his inquiries some one, mistaking the Emperor for the Guru, said, ' There he is sitting under a tree.'

The grass-cutter went to make 'his prostration. He had only half an ana as an offering. He drew it forth, laid it before the Emperor, and thus addressed him, ' O true king, all earthly kings are false. Your realm is permanent in every age. Protect me at my last hour, and extricate me from hell. I am a poor Sikh of yours ; your sovereignty is real and potent to protect.'

The Emperor said to his courtiers,' I cannot protect myself ; how can I save this man in the way he desires ? '

The Emperor quite understood that the Guru had had no opportunity of prompting the petitioner to call him true king. He then addressed the grass-cutter, ' I am a false king. There (pointing to the Guru) is the true king.'

The grass-cutter took up his half ana, and ran with it to the Guru who received him affectionately, and gave him the follow­ing instruction :—'My brother, meditate on God, live-honestly, covet not your neighbour's wife or property, compassionate the suffering, obey the Guru's commandments and you shall be happy in this world and the next'.
At Kiratpur Guru Ji held Darbar twice a day, the number of sikhs was increasing day by day. One day Guru Ji called Bhai Jhanda and said "Tell the Sikhs that whoever collects dry sticks from the jungle for the Langar would be blessed." When Bhai Jhanda heard this advise, he himself went to the jungle and spent the whole day collecting dry sticks. The next day he brought the bundles of sticks and stored them in the Langar. When Guru Ji saw him he said "Bhai Jhanda, I have asked you to advise the Sikhs to bring the sticks but you have been bringing these sticks yourself ." Bhai Jhanda humbly said "My Lord, let me first become a Sikh."
That was a nice Sakhi but I just wanted to clear something. Guru Ji never went hunting out of sport or for the means of food. Instead Guru Ji would at times free some of his strayed GurSikhs from an animal Joon.

Mata Kaulaan

Kaulaan was the daughter of Quazi Rustam Khan; she was very wise and intellectual. When she completed her basic education, her father got her admitted in the school of Sain Mian Mir for higher education. She was very influenced by the holy personality of Sain Mian Mir. Sain Mian Mir told her about Satgurus and their Shabads, Sain Ji also told her about Guru Hargobind Sahib.

Sain Mian Mir had learnt by heart many Shabads; he used to recite them in a beautiful voice. Kaulaan also learnt by heart many Shabads and was feeling very blissful by reciting them in her sweet voice. She used to recite Shabads at her home, one day her father heard her singing Shabads. He was a fanatic Muslim and thought the Gurus were infidels. He warned her not to sing such Shabads.

She requested Sain Mian Mir that she wanted to have Darshan of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji. Once when Guru Ji had gone to meet Sain Mian Mir, Kaulaan had the opportunity to have Darshan of Guru Ji. She was so impressed by the divine face of Guru Ji that she considered herself the wealthiest woman world in the world. She was so mesmerized that she could not say a single world from her mouth, for some time she stood in front of Guru Ji as a lifeless statue. Sian Mian Mir informed Guru Ji about the love that Kaulaan had for Sikhi . He also told Guru Ji that she sang the Shabads in a very sweet voice. Guru Ji blesses her and said “You are very fortunate, whoever sings the praises of God attains supreme bless.”

One day Kaulaan was in Bairag and began to sing Shabads in a loud voice. She had forgotten her father was at home, who when hearing her began to ruthlessly beat her with a stick. Her mother requested Kaulaan`s father to stop beating her. She started to recite Shabads day and night without fear of her father`s beatings. When her father found out that she had become fearless he used his influence among Quazis to get a decree to sentence her to death. When her mother heard this she send Kaulaan to Sain Mian Mir`s school and told her about the death sentence. Sain Main Mir called Shah Abdul Yaar and told him to take Kaulaan to Amritsar.

Shah Abdul Yaar with Kaulaan reached Amritsar early in the morning. Through a Sewadar Shah Abdul Yaar meet Guru Ji and told him about Kaulaan. Guru Ji told him to tell Sain Ji not to worry about Kaulaan as she will be accommodated properly. The next day Guru Ji allocated her a house near Harminder Sahib. Guru Ji made arrangements for her clothes and other living items, a lady attendant was recruited to help her and keep her company. Kaulaan then got Charan Amrit and Naam.

(Gurdwara Sahib Mata Kaulan)

One day Mata Kaulaan asked her maid that she wanted to see the Guru’s residence. Her maid took her to Guru Ji’s residence, where she saw the lovely children of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, she was very pleased with playing with them. She sent the whole day with them. When she went back home she was still thinking about them. She desired to now become a mother. When Guru Ji went to see Mata Ji he saw her sad face and asked her the reason for her sadness, she then told Guru Ji that she wanted to become a mother. Hearing this Guru Ji said “These children take birth and die, but we will give you an immortal son.” Guru Ji told her that a Sarovar would be construed in her name in front of her house. This new Sarovar would be known as Kaulsar. Hearing this Mata Kaulaan felt very happy.

(Gurdwara Mata Kaulan jee and Sarovar Kaulsar)
Wow thanks for sharing A Singh Veer Ji

I always wondered who Mata Kaulan Ji was. What a great story. Its very rare that we get to hear stories about great and devoted Sikh women.
I have learned a lot from these stories. Please continue to post more stories of Guruji.

First battle with Mughals

In those days only kings and their relatives were allowed to doing hunting. For this purpose many forests were reserved for them. Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji was encouraging and inspiring his Sikhs to do hunting for the purpose of making them brave and fearless warriors.

One day the Sikhs were hunting in a forest, they reached the same place where the members of the royal family were hunting. One hawk of the royal party fell into the hands of the Sikhs. When the royal party asked the Sikhs to return the hawk they refused. The members of the royal party said “We will inform tell the Governor of Lahore about this and you will face the consequences”. The Sikhs replied “We are not afraid of anybody, you can do what you like.”

The royal hunters complained about this to Kuleej Khan, the Governor of Lahore, they told him “If today they can dare to snatch a hawk, tomorrow they will try to grab the royal crown”. Hearing this Kuleej Khan lost his temper and appointed Mukhlis Khan the commander of 7,000 men, he was asked to attack the Sikhs and annihilate them completely. When Guru Ji heard about this he asked his Sikhs to get ready to face the enemy. The marriage of Bibi Viro the daughter of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, had been fixed and was only two days away. So Guru Ji shifted the venue of the marriage to Jhabal, 7 miles south east of Amritsar and sent Adi Granth Ji, Non-combatants and his family to Jhabal.

First battle was fought at Pipli Sahib, the Sikhs fought so bravely that the royal army were forced to retreat. The Sikhs then went to the fort of Lohgarh, the gate was closed. Mukhlis Khan then besieged the fort. When the sun had set, the royal army camped out the fort. When the Sikhs found out that the royal army was resting outside without any fear, they took the stone cannon and fired a shower of stones on the enemy. The royal army became confused seeing the large attack of stones. The royal army thought that they were save right next to the fort but the Sikh taught them a lesson not to mock the Sikhs, a large number of soldiers were seriously hurt while the rest ran away to a safe place.

In the morning the army attack the fort, the stone cannon was used again. The army could not reach the wall of the fort and ran back. Mukhlis Khan howled “Beware! Take heart, you are afraid of this bunch of fakirs. You are Mughals the rulers of this country, come back and kill these cowards”.

Bhai Bhanu (commander-in-chief of the Guru's army) and Shams Khan (one of the chiefs of the imperial army) then fought each other. Bhai Bhanu killed the horse of Shams Khan with an arrow. Bhai Bhanu then dismounted his horse and fought Shams Khan in a single combat. Bhai Bhanu told Shams Khan, “I will not allow you to escape now." Shams Khan replied, “Defend yourself, I am going to strike." Bhai Bhanu received the sword on his shield, and putting forward all his force, beheaded Shams Khan with one blow. The royal army seeing their commander slain, rushed to Bhai Bhanu and surrounded him from all sides. He cut down the enemy as if they were radishes. At last he was struck by two bullets which passed through his body and the brave commander of the Guru's army left for Sach Khand.

Painde Khan, taking command of the army came out of the fort. Bhai Bidhi Chand, Painde Khan and Bhai Jati Mal along with the Sikhs caused great havoc in the royal army. Guru Ji was also fight the enemy and was killing the enemy like a lion attacking sheep and goats. Painde Khan was successfully commanding the army when he challenged Didar Ali a close associate of Mukhlis Khan and last surviving top member of the royal army (apart from Mukhlis Khan). Painde Khan with his first blow killed Didar Ali.

Mukhlis Khan becoming enraged rushed towards Guru Ji. Guru Ji shot an arrow and killed the horse of Mukhlis Khan, who then said "Let you and me now decide the fight by single combat, and none else approach." Guru Ji then dismounted his horse and told the Sikhs to stand aside. Guru Ji then said, "Show me your skill and strike the first blow." Mukhlis Khan’s first blow was avoided by swift movement; the next blow fell on Guru Ji’s shield. The Guru then warned, "You have made two strokes. Now it is my turn." With one powerful blow Guru Ji cut through his shield and his body in the flash of an eye.

When the army saw that Mukhlis Khan had been killed, they ran away, though some held their ground were killed by Bhai Bidhi Chand, Painde Khan and Bhai Jati Mal. Guru Ji told his Sikhs not to chase the running army. After the battle was complete and the drums of victory were joyously sounded. The battle was extended to a distance of about 4 miles to the south of Amritsar and a Gurdwara was erected to commemorate the Guru's victory. A fair is held every year on this spot.

Notes:
The hawk was a gift from the Emperor (Shah) of Persia (Iran) to Shah Jahan, the hawk (Baz) was a rare white bread, (The Hawk was at the time one of the royal symbols of authority). The Sikh and the Royal party were hunting in a royal private reserve near Gumtala village near Amritsar. The number of Sikhs was 700 while the number of the royal army was 7,000 a 10:1 ratio. After the Battle Guru Ji got the bodies of the Mughals buried. After completing the last rites of his brave soldiers, the Guru went to Jhabal and performed the marriage ceremony of his daughter.

In-between the first and second battles.

On hearing the death of Mukhlis Khan and the defeat of his army, Shah Jahan called a council of his chiefs at which it was decided that the Guru should be captured or killed lest he should seize the reins of the empire. Wazir Khan, a follower of the Guru, defended him and said, "Sir, the Guru is not a rebel and has no designs on your empire. Had he ever got such a design, he would have followed his victory, seized some fortress, taken some territory or plundered some of thy treasuries. Is it not a miracle that with only 700 men he destroyed the army of 7,000?" These and many such arguments of Wazir Khan were supported by the friends of the Guru at the court. The Emperor was convinced and agreed to forget the past.

After the marriage of Bibi Viro Guru Ji visited Tarn Taran and Goindwal. At Goindwal the grandchildren of Guru Amar Das Ji welcomed Guru Ji and his family. Guru Ji left his family at Goindwal and went to Kartarpur. Guru had found out that Mata Kaulaan was seriously ill. When Guru Ji reached Kartarpur, Guru Ji went to see Mata Kaulaan who was lying unconscious. When Guru Ji called her, she regained consciousness, falling at Guru Ji’s feet she said “My Lord, I am very fortunate that I have done had your Darshan at the time of my departure from this world.” Lying at Guru Ji’s feet, she breathed her last. Guru Ji performed Mata Kaulaan’s Antam-sanskar.

It was a rainy season and Guru Ji after crossing the River Beas, went to the right side of the bank which was lofty. Guru Sahib observed that the land dwellings were only in one direction and the rest of the land was unoccupied. He considered it a good site to found a city. The people received him with open arms but the landlord and Chaudhry, Bhagwan Das Gherarwere not in favour of him. Bhagwan Das was also the revenue collector for the Subedar of Jalandhar. Bhagwan Das started hostilities against Guru Ji and used abusive language. He brought some men and tried to force Guru Ji out of the area, the Sikh went to meet them, in this skirmish Bhagwan Das and his men were killed and his body was throw into the River Beas. Having secured the goodwill of the people, Guru Ji made preparations for the city. Guru Ji cut the first sod himself and summoned masons and labourers from the neighbouring villages. The city subsequently was called Sri Har Gobindpur in his honor.
Very knowledgeable.

Dhan Guruji!
Great Sakhis! Guru Sahib won all battles against Mughals.

Second Battle between the Mughals and Sikhs

When Rattan Chand the son of Bhagwan Das was informed about the fate of this father, he vowed to avenge the death of his father. He went to Karam Chand his relative and son of Chandu Shah and urged him to join him against the common oppressor (Guru Sahib). They then both met Abdula Khan Subedar of Jalandhar and poured out their grievances and complained against Guru Ji. They said that if the Guru were put into the hands of the Emperor, he would receive a high promotion as Shah Jahan would be pleased.

Abdula Khan was already against Guru Ji, he commanded an army of 4,000. Abdula Khan ordered the local chieftains Bairam Khan, Muhammad Khan, Balwand Khan, Imam Baksh, Nabi Baksh, Chirag Din, Akbar Khan and Sher Muhammad to ready their forces. With these forces the army number reached around 10,000 who attacked Sri Hargobindpur. When Guru Ji was informed he told his Sikhs to get ready for battle. Abdula Khan divided his into eight divisions, five for his generals, two for his sons and one for himself.

The Guru gave the command of the army to Bhai Jattu and selected the Jathedars for each Jatha , the Jathedars were Bhai Piraga, Bhai Mathra Bhat (son of Baba Bhikha), Bhai Jagan Nath, Bhai Jagna, Bhai Saktu, Bhai Jati Mall, Bhai Paras Ram, Bhai Malooka. The Jatha of Bhai Bidhi Chand was put in reserve.

When the Mughal army reached near the city, the Sikhs welcomed them with bullets and arrows. Abdula Khan did not know that the Sikhs were so well equipped, all the Sikhs were in their trenches so it was not possible for the Mughals to trace them. Abdula Khan tried to put the situation under his control, but he failed.

The next day Abdula Khan sent his 2 sons Nabi Bakhsh and Karim Baksh with a large number of men and advised them saying “Don’t care about bullets and arrows, overpower the trenches of the Sikhs”. Before they could reach any trench they were killed by a shower of bullets and arrows. When Abdula Khan heard this new he became very furious and entered the camp of the Sikhs. When Guru Ji saw him, he came out and stood before Abdula Khan. He attacked Guru Ji with powerful blows but Guru Ji blocked them on his shield. Then Guru ji attacked him in such as a way that he was lying on the ground cut in two pieces.

After the death of Abdula Khan, Karam Chand appeared to attack Guru Ji. When Guru Ji attacked him with such a powerful blow, his sword got broken in two pieces. Guru Ji had another sword, the sword of Piri (spiritual authority), but Guru Ji did not use that sword. Guru Ji caught hold of him from the neck and gripping him for some time threw him on the ground with such force that Karam Chand was lying dead on the ground. When Rattan Chand seeing this ran to aid Karam Chand, he was shot dead. Guru Ji won this battle with great honour, drums of victory were joyously sounded just like after the first battle.

When Shah Jahan heard about the defeat of Abdula Khan, he ordered his army to ruin Sri Hargobindpur. Wazir Khan then told Shah Jahan, “The Guru was constructing a mosque for the Muslim inhabitants of the city, but Bhagwan Das was against it.” When Shah Jahan heard this he ordered the army not to attack and confiscated the property of Abdula Khan.

This battle was fought happened in September 1629 (according to some chronicles 1628)
In the beautiful hills of the Punjab there was a fine temple of the goddess of power. In it stood a statue of the goddess. Every year thousands of people visited this temple and worshipped her. A fair was held every year to pay homage to the goddess. People from all over India came to this temple to worship during the fair. Even some Rajahs (Rulers) from the Hills attended the fair. The Rajahs usually brought money and rich offerings for the goddess. These offerings were collected by cunning priests who spent them lavishly for their personal enjoyment and not for the common good.

Sri Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj and his Sikhs went to one such fair to preach the Guru's way. The fair was in full swing. The Guru's Darbar (Holy Congregation) was on one side of the fair in an open space. The musicians were singing hymns in praise of God. They sang Shabads (Holy verses) from the Holy Granth. The soul-stirring hymns touched everybody's heart. People were attracted to the Guru's camp in such great numbers that only a few were left in the temple. Even the Rajahs came down to listen to the Guru's teachings.

Finding only a few people in the temple, a man named Bharu entered and pushed his way towards the idol. He struck the idol's nose with something hard and broke it off. Before the priests could catch him, the man ran out of the temple towards the Guru's Darbar. There was a sudden noise and people were running towards the Darbar after Bharu. A strong man from the Guru's Darbar stood up and caught him. People thought that he was a thief. In a few minutes, the priests also arrived and Bharu was presented to a Rajah sitting there in the Guru's court. The priest told the whole story to the Guru, the Rajah, and all the people who had gathered there. On hearing about the damage to the idol, the Rajah was so furious that he did not even listen to Bharu's side of the story and he ordered him to be stoned to death. The people took hold of the culprit and tried to drag him away but the Guru intervened and said, "It is better that we should listen to both sides of the story and then see if the man really deserves this punishment." The Guru thereupon asked both men to tell the truth. The priest spoke first :

Priest: This man is a great sinner; he has broken the nose of the goddess and he really deserves to be stoned to death.

Bhai Bharu: This is wrong. I haven't committed any Crime.

Priest: It is a crime to break the idol, isn't it?

Bhai Bharu: I don't know who you are and I haven't done any wrong to you. If I smashed the idol it is an affair between me and the idol. Let the idol say what it likes.

Priest: The idol is made of stone, how can it speak? If it were alive it would have caught and punished you there and then.

Bhai Bharu: If it cannot speak or defend itself, how can it speak to you and save the people or give them what they want? My sin is no worse than breaking the handle of a tea cup.

At this the priest could not say anything. Bhai Bharu's words made the people laugh and they really understood the idea behind what he said. Sri Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj, however, did not like all this and spoke out kindly, "Listen my friends," he said, "It is really no good worshipping idols. Man should worship God who has made living idols like us. But breaking an idol is not good. We must have respect and regard for other people's religion and way of worship. Breaking an idol with hatred is like breaking a heart, and the heart is the house of God. So by smashing the idol Bharu has sinned against God. He must apologise for what he has done and repair the idol."

Bhai Bharu was convinced of the Guru's point of view and asked to be pardoned. The people agreed to forgive him on condition that he never broke an idol again. Bhai Bharu gave his word and also repaired the broken idol. Very soon afterwards he became the Sikh of Sri Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji Maharaj.
The mosque mentioned in the Sakhi above is this mosque(pic below), which was constructed by Sri Guru ji:

Here is the link for more details:

[sikhiwiki.org]

Chota veer
Thanks Chatrik veer ji, for putting the picture up smiling smiley
>>>>>After the death of Abdula Khan, Karam Chand appeared to attack Guru Ji. When Guru Ji attacked him with such a powerful blow, his sword got broken in two pieces. Guru Ji had another sword, the sword of Piri (spiritual authority), but Guru Ji did not use that sword. Guru Ji caught hold of him from the neck and gripping him for some time threw him on the ground with such force that Karam Chand was lying dead on the ground.

It says above (second battle with Mughals) that Guruji did not use the sword of Piri. I wonder why he did not use this sword. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I think Guru Sahib did not use his second sword because his opponent was unarmed and Guru Sahib could not have attacked an unarmed opponent with a weapon. So he attacked him bare handed.

Kulbir Singh

Painde Khan
(Part 1)

One day some Pathans under the leadership of Ismail Khan of Vadda Mir, near Kartarpur met Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji at Kartarpur and requested Guru Ji to enrol them in the army of the Guru. They were 26 in number; they were each interviewed, one by one and then enrolled into the army. With them came a widow with her son. The name of her husband was Fateh Khan, an Afghan resident of the village of Alimpur, 7 km northeast of Kartarpur. She told Guru Ji that she was homeless and her son was too young to work. Guru Ji saw some promise in the boy, both the son and his mother was given a place to live as well as some land. The name of the young boy was Painde Khan.

Guru Ji took the responsibility for the nourishment of the boy. Guru Ji appointed Ismail Khan a great warrior as his instructor. After a few years Painde Khan became a unrivalled wrestler and a brave warrior.

His games were astonishing, the people considered him a magician. He very powerful and could engrave words on a silver coin by grinding his thumb, he also used to twist the coin in his palm. Another game was that he would carry a full grown buffalo on his shoulders by tying its legs. People came from far and near to see his feat. He could also with his shoulders throw a rider as well as their horse.

He proved to be very brave in the first battle at Amritsar, he killed Didar Ali and slaughtered the royal army as if they were sheep and goats.
Guru Ji praised his bravery shown in the battle but he became arrogant saying "It is I who conquered the countless hosts opposed to the Guru at Amritsar. With my arrow I killed them like chickens. Had I not been there, no one would have had the courage to oppose them. The Sikhs would have all fled." The Guru heard this. Painde Khan who used to wait on him whole day and go to his quarters just to sleep, was ordered by the Guru to remain at his home and visit him occasionally.

Guru Hargobind always treated him with special consideration. While at Kartarpur, he had Painde Khan married to an Afghan girl from Chhota Mir. When Guru Ji’s visited Kartarpur, he would take Painde Khan out for hunting, and gave him many gifts.
To die to in Sri Guru ji's arms.......

How VadhBhagi Karam Chand was!

Chota veer

Painde Khan
(Part 2)

As the Guru arrived at Kartarpur in December 1634, around this time Painde Khan married his daughter to Usman Khan, an Afghan youth of the village of Chhota Mir. On the occasion of the next Baisakhi, March 1635, Sikhs from far and near came with presents to pay homage to the Guru. One Sikh who was a rich merchant, presented a beautiful horse, a white hawk, a costly dress and Halbi sword. Guru Hargobind gave the hawk to Baba Gurditta bestowed the horse, the dress and the sword upon Painde Khan.

As Painde Khan went home, delighted at having been so honoured by the Guru, his son-in-law, Usman Khan, claimed the gifts which Painda Khan reluctantly passed on to him. Usman Khan, donning the dress and sword, went out hunting the following day riding the horse. Baba Gurditta, with his newly acquired white hawk, also happened to be sporting in the same area. The hawk fell into the hands of Usman Khan, who took it home. Painde Khan who turned up without wearing the dress gifted to him, denied before the Guru that the gifts had changed hands or that the hawk was in the possession of his son-in-law. Guru Hargobind sent a Sikh, Bhai Bidhi Chand, to Chhota Mir, and the gifts along with the hawk were recovered from Usman Khan.

Displeased at the exposure of his lies, Painde Khan openly turned against his patron (Guru Ji), Painde Khan was the cause of the fourth battle (will be described later.)
Before Third battle

Guru Hargobind Ji went to Daroli on the invitation of his sister-in-law Bibi Ramo and her husband Bhai Sain Dass. Devotees on hearing of Guru Ji’s visit to Malwa started coming in large numbers, once Sikhs from Kabul came to see Guru Ji, the Sangat numbered around 1,000 to 1,200. Bhai Bakhat Mall, Bhai Tara Chand, Bhai Dyal Chand were leading the congregation with other masands. One Sikh Karori Mal brought with him two horses of good bread named Gulbagh and Dilbagh to present to Guru Ji. One the way to see Guru Ji, many wealthy men had tried to convince Karori Mal to part with the horses by offering him a princely sum. However, Karori Mall always replied that these were not his horses but that the horses belonged to the Guru.

Before reaching Lahore, rumours of their beauty had reached the Mughal governor's ears. An avid collector of horses he too offered the young Sikh a small fortune for each horse, only to be turned down. So before the Sangat left Lahore, the Subedar's henchmen forcibly snatched the magnificent horses and took them to the governor's stable area, in the upper courtyard of Lahore Fort.

Karori Mal became very sad and with his sad face, he and the Sangat reached the place where Guru Ji was staying. When the Sangat meet Guru Ji they presented the gifts they had brought, Karori Mal said the following to Guru Ji “My Lord, I had brought two horses of good bread named Gulbagh and Dilbagh to present to you, but they were snatched from me. Now I am very unfortunate that I cannot offer you any gift.” Guru Ji said “Karori Mal, don’t worry, we will receive your houses, they will not remain long with the Subedar. I am pleased that you have brought such a valuable gift. One day you will find the horses in our stable.”

Guru Ji sent Bhai Bidhi Chand to Lahore to bring back the horses, Bhai Sahib stayed at Bhai Jiwan’s house in Lahore. Bhai sahib thought of a plan which would not involve any bloodshed. First he disguised himself has a grass cutter went to the fields and cut a bundle of fine grass. He then bought it to the gate of the fort at Lahore. Said Khan the horse keeper came out side and was pleased to see such fine grass. Bhai Bidhi Chand was then asked by Said Khan to distribute the grass to the horses, Bhai sahib taking the bundle of grass on his head inside the fort and gave it to the horses, when he did this he patted the horses on their back. He offered his services at the stable, Said Khan accepted. Bhai Bidhi Chand then came daily with grass and with the permission of Said Khan would give the grass to the horses and pat them while doing this. Said Khan saw the love Bidhi Chand had for the horses, when he would come to give them grass they would neigh at the very sight of Bidhi Chand, Said Khan then gave Bhai Sahib responsibility for arranging the delivery of grass for the horses without seeking permission from him (Said Khan). The river Ravi was touching the wall of the fort on one side. Bhai Bidhi Chand would throw one big stone in the river at night, when the watchmen heard the sound of the stone they were alarmed but when they looked towards the river they did not see anything. They thought that some animal was striking the wall and after this they did not care for that sound again. Bhai Bidhi Chand gained the trust of the whole staff , he offered them wine which made them unconscious or drunk. Bhai sahib searched and found the keys and untied Gulbagh and riding him, they jumped off the wall of the fort and landed in the river. After crossing the river Bhai Bidhi Chand reached Amritsar, the next day he reached Guru Ji and presented Gulbagh to Guru Ji, who was very pleased.

Dilbagh the remaining horse soon grew despondent and refused to eat. He obviously missed his companion. Soon the officials sought the help of a fortune teller who might be able to recover the 'stolen' horse. So disguising himself as a fortune teller, Bhai Bidhi Chand once again offered his services. He convinced the authorities that he had to re-enact a similar scenario, in order to give them the whereabouts of the missing steed. The baffled officials created a similar situation allowing Bhai Bidhi Chand to mount the remaining horse. He then yelled out that he was the former grass cutter, as he and the horse leaped over the low wall of the court yard to the Ravi River. Riding to Amritsar, then to Guru Ji’s stable the two horses were reunited.

Thanks all for sharing such beautiful treasures of the SIKHISM. Arent we loosing all this KHAZANNA ? I dont hear any parents telling these Sakihs to their children(including myself) - probably they are getting lost with time. That may be the reason for the loss of all such important characteristics/love within/amongst GurSikhs.

Its an excellent idea to write these SAKHIs , but i would say we should also have them in the AUDO format as hardly anyone read now-a-days

Bhul-Chul Maaf !!
Wonderful stories Veer "A Singh" jeeo.

Very inspirational.

Kulbir Singh
Third battle

When Guru Ji received both horses (Gulbagh and Dilbagh) he knew the Subedar would not bear it and would try to attack him. Guru Ji with his Sikhs moved to the nearby village Kangar in Malwa, the Muslim landlord Rai Jodh and his wife were supporters of Guru Ji. Guru Ji prepared himself and his Sikhs for the battle and asked Rai Jodh “you have a great knowledge of this area, please teel us which is the most suitable place were our amry can defeat the royal army.” Rai Jodh suggested that their best chance would be to mount their defence at his fort, but Guru Ji said he wanted to operate in a battlefield. Then Bhai Rai Jodh suggested a site, "5 km from here theirs is the village of Nathana and about 3km from Nathana is the village of Mehraj, the Dhaab (Water Tank) of Nathna is surrounded on three sides by mountains of sand and on the fourth side is the Dhaab”. Guru selected this place to fight as during battle water is very essential and there was no other source of water for about 20-30km's there it was the most strategic spot to camp.

Guru Ji had about 2400 soldiers who were joined by 500 soldiers of Salem Shah (who was also a devotee of the Guru like Rai Jodh), 500 soldiers of Rai Jodh and 500 soldiers from his uncle Chacha Ugarsein and about 100 people from the Sangat gave the total number of around 4000 soldiers. The Sangat of Malwa was supplying resources to the army including meals and supplies to help to keep them warm in the cool season. The Sikh forces under the command of Rai Jodh, Bhai Bidhi Chand and Bhai a Joti Mal camped the water reservoir.

From Lahore Bhai Bohru sent a message to Guru Ji that large army of minimum of 10,000 soldiers under the command of Lalla Beg and Qamar Beg. When the army was marching towards Malwa Kabli Beg joined them. So the strength of the army increased considerably, on top of this they were joined by the Rajputs of Raikot and the Rangarhs of Aandru and Halwara.

In search of the Guru , when the army reached near the Dhaab of Nathna, Lalla Beg sent Hassan Khan to spy on Guru Sahib and his army. Hassan Khan had dressed himself as a Sikh and entered in Guru's army. Recognizing Khan as an enemy spy, he was presented before Guru Sahib. Guru Ji recognized Hassan Khan as he was a old spy of Jahangir , he had spent most of this life in Amritsar. Instead of punishing him Guru Sahib sent him back telling him to let Lalla Beg know that they were ready for the Mughal attack and to inform him about all of the Sikh preparations and positions (the Sikhs had an advance in that they were in control of the water so telling the enemy may put them off if they had used military sense). Guru Sahib also blessed him, telling him that he would soon be the Subedar' of Kabul instead of Lalla Beg. Hassan Khan told Lalla Beg all the locations and preparations of guru's army and also said that Guru Sahib was a fearless warrior and he was ready to bear any attack.

When Lalla Beg found that the water was in possession of the Guru, he sent his men on all sides to search for water, the Sikhs finding an appropriate time attacked the army. The royal army was not prepared and began to retreat; they could not find water nearby. If they found a well its water was salty, drinking which many soldiers fell ill. The battle continued all night, when in the morning Lalla Beg saw his army he found dead bodies lying everywhere, seeing this Lalla Beg became very furious and took command of the army himself. Lalla Beg, Qamar Beg and Kabli Beg advanced fearlessly. Kabli Beg entered the army of the Sikhs and challenged Guru Ji, Guru Ji got down from his platform and riding his horse reached near Kabli Beg. Guru Ji asked him to attack first, with his attack Guru Ji was slightly injured, Guru Ji then shot an arrow with pierced the neck of Kabli Beg. Rai Jodh then came to Guru Ji and bandaged his wound.

(Kabli Beg killed by Guru Ji)

When Qamar Beg saw Kabli Beg lying dead, he advanced towards Guru Ji, but Rai Jodh intervend and killed him. Lalla Beg then advanced with great force; Joti Mal (one of the main commanders of Guru Ji’ army) tried to stop him but was killed. Guru Ji then advanced towards Lalla Beg, who shot many arrows when Guru Ji stopped on his shield. Guru Ji then shot an arrow which killed Lalla Beg’s horse, getting up he rushed towards Guru Ji. Guru Ji got off his horse and had a duel with Lalla Beg, who despite fighting bravely was killed by Guru Ji. Seeing their commanders dead the royal army ran away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login