ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grammatical rules of selected pronouns - Part 1

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
The pronouns ਜਿਨ and ਤਿਨ are always plural whereas ਜਿਨਿ and ਤਿਨਿ are always singular pronuons.

Below are some examples of ਜਿਨ and ਤਿਨ in plural meanings:

ਚਿਤੁ ਜਿਨ ਕਾ ਹਿਰਿ ਲਇਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਬੋਲਨਿ ਪਏ ਰਵਾਣੀ ॥

ਇਕਨਾ ਪਾਰਿ ਲੰਘਾਵਹਿ ਆਪੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਜਿਨ ਕਾ ਸਚੁ ਬੇੜਾ ॥8॥ 1081

ਜਿਨ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਜੀ ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਭਉ ਸਭੁ ਗਵਾਸੀ ॥
ਜਿਨ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਜਿਨ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰੂਪਿ ਸਮਾਸੀ ॥

Below are some examples of ਜਿਨਿ and ਤਿਨਿ as singluar pronouns:

ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹਿ ਲਿਖੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਨਾਹਿ ॥

ਹੈ ਭੀ ਹੋਸੀ ਜਾਇ ਨ ਜਾਸੀ ਰਚਨਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਰਚਾਈ ॥

ਜਿਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
ਸਹਜੇ ਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥3॥

ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥1॥

The pronouns ਜਿਸ and ਤਿਸ are always singular pronoun.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਤੂੰ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਹਿ ਤੇ ਪਾਹੁਨ ਦੋ ਦਾਹਾ ॥

ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਨਾਹਿ ਕੋਇ ਹਾਂ ॥ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸੋਇ ਹਾਂ ॥

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਾਏ ਸੋ ਕਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥

The pronouns ਜਿਸਹਿ and ਤਿਸਹਿ are singular and the meanings are ਤਿਸ ਨੂੰ, ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ, ਜਿਸ ਨੇ, ਤਿਸ ਨੇ, etc.

ਈਹਾ ਊਹਾ ਸਰਬ ਥੋਕ ਕੀ ਜਿਸਹਿ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਚਿੰਦ ॥1॥

ਜਿਸਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੈਨਾ ॥1॥

ਜਿਸਹਿ ਦਿਖਾਲਾ ਵਾਟੜੀ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਭੁਲਾਵੈ ਕਉਣੁ ॥
ਜਿਸਹਿ ਭੁਲਾਈ ਪੰਧ ਸਿਰਿ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਦਿਖਾਵੈ ਕਉਣੁ ॥1॥

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
you left out ਕਿਨਹਿ from the analysis.
[www.sikhitothemax.com]

Bhai Sahib I remember on a different forum you mentioned that when Bhagat has a sihari it refers to doing Bhagtee. When it doesnt have a Sihari it refers to Bhagat. IF BHagat has a Biharee does it have the same meaning with the Sihari?

In the following Shabad the word Jin ( with Sihari) is used in mentioning the devotee . So does this means Bhagatee is singular?

[www.sikhitothemax.com]
In my last post I mean to say does Bhagtee and Bhagat with a sihari mean the same thing?
Instead of saying does Bhagatee and Bhagat without SIhari.

Does the word Jin in the singular sense imply that the individual has reformed themselves through Bhagtee according to Guru Jis teachings.

In my last post I mean to say does Bhagtee and Bhagat with a sihari mean the same thing?

ਭਗਤਿ but ਭਗਤੀ mean the same thing ie.e devotional worship but ਭਗਤੀ in some cases can also mean Bhagats (plural of bhagat, devotee). It is very simple to figure it out, if you have basic understanding of Gurbani. The word ਭਗਤੀ in the meanings of Bhagats comes in the grammatical situation when this word is a plural noun in Nominative Case and the verb is of past tense. The meaning derived from it is Bhagta ne ( ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੇ). Here are some examples of this:

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ਭਗਤੀ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਸੇ ਭਗਤ ਪਏ ਦਰਿ ਥਾਇ ॥3॥
(ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੇ ਮੰਨਿਆ ...)

ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਭਗਤੀ ਖਟਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਉਤਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
(ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਵਿਚ ਨਾਮ ਖਜ਼ਾਨਾ ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੇ ਖਟਿਆ ...)

ਇਸੁ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਖਟਿਆ ਹੋਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਜਗਤੁ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇਆ ॥
(ਇਸ ਜੁਗ ਵਿਚ ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੇ ਹਰਿ ਧਨ ਖਟਿਆ ...)

In each of the pankiti above, the word ਭਗਤੀ means ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੇ and the pronounciation is: ਭਗਤੀਂ i.e. nasal sound on the bihaari. In all cases this shape or form of the plural noun is used with Past Tense verb.

For the most part the word ਭਗਤੀ is used in the meaning of devotional worship but there are perhaps 3 or 4 more pankitis in addition to the ones listed above, where this word means ਭਗਤਾਂ ਨੇ.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the feedback Bhai Sahib

sorry for asking to many questions but since I read this pauri everyday it would be nice to know proper pronunciation.

I was unaware that the word ਭਗਤੀ in the meanings of Bhagats is a plural noun in Nominative Case and the verb is of past tense. Origianlly I did believe that verb was used in past tense and believed that Bhagat was a plural noun. Previously when reading this pangti I would place a bindi in Bhagatee but then your previous post in which you stated "The pronouns ਜਿਨ and ਤਿਨ are always plural whereas ਜਿਨਿ and ਤਿਨਿ are always singular pronuons". Made me think perhaps Bhagatee(n) is not plural because at the end of this Pauri , Guru ji refers to the subject ( Bhagat or Bhagats(?)) in the Pauri and uses the pronoun Jin with a sihari thus making it a singular pronoun? So I dont really understand why Guru Ji has used a plural noun with a singlural pronoun in this Pauri ( paragraph)
Sukhdeep Singh jeeo,

I was unaware that the word ਭਗਤੀ in the meanings of Bhagats is a plural noun in Nominative Case and the verb is of past tense. Origianlly I did believe that verb was used in past tense and believed that Bhagat was a plural noun. Previously when reading this pangti I would place a bindi in Bhagatee but then your previous post in which you stated "The pronouns ਜਿਨ and ਤਿਨ are always plural whereas ਜਿਨਿ and ਤਿਨਿ are always singular pronuons". Made me think perhaps Bhagatee(n) is not plural because at the end of this Pauri , Guru ji refers to the subject ( Bhagat or Bhagats(?)) in the Pauri and uses the pronoun Jin with a sihari thus making it a singular pronoun? So I dont really understand why Guru Ji has used a plural noun with a singlural pronoun in this Pauri ( paragraph)

Let's look at the shabad:

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ: ੩ ॥
ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਭਗਤੀ ਖਟਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਉਤਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਾਇਆ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥
ਵਿਚੇ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨਿ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੋਹੁ ਜਲਾਇਆ ॥
ਆਪਿ ਤਰਿਆ ਕੁਲ ਜਗਤੁ ਤਰਾਇਆ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਣੇਦੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥
ਐਸਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੋਈ ਪਾਏ ਜਿਸੁ ਧੁਰਿ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਆਪਣੇ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

In the last pankiti above the pronoun ਜਿਨਿ is used for the Guru and not for the Bhagats mentioned in the first pankiti.

Siri Guru jee is stating in the first pankiti that in Kaljug the Bhagats have earned the Naam treasure and attained the top spiritual position.

In the last pankiti, Siri Guru jee is stating that he is sacrifice on his Guru, who placed him (wandering in doubt) on the correct path. Siri Guru jee out of humility is stating that he was wandering in doubt. This is the greatness of our Guru Sahibaan. They were always humble.

So the the word ਜਿਨਿ in this pankiti is for the Guru who placed the author (again Guru Sahib) on the correct path.

The bihaari of ਭਗਤੀ should be pronounced as nasal for the reasons stated in the previous post.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the explanation the thought never occured my mind that Guru Ji was talking about himself. So much humility Guru Sahib has. This does make sense since Nanak on the last pangi doesnt have an aunkar and is titled Jan Nanak " Servant Nanak"

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login