ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Importance of Bana

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Importance of Bana
July 23, 2010 11:27PM
BaNa is an extremely important rehat with it comes much responsibility. If we take on BaNa , but neglect Gurmat Principles like courage, honesty, and most importantly humility then we make a mockery of BaNa and become hypocrites. If take on BaNa but have no intention of having a Khalsa Spirit then we are no different then the Jackal in the Lions body in which Guru Sahib spoke strongly against. Guru Sahib says he has seen all those who have dressed as impostors such people will go to hell.

ਭੇਖ ਦਿਖਾਇ ਜਗਤ ਕੋ ਲੋਗਨ ਕੋ ਬਸਿ ਕੀਨ ॥
ਅੰਤ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾਤੀ ਕਟਿਓ ਬਾਸੁ ਨਰਕ ਮੋ ਲੀਨ ॥੫੬॥

According to Bhai Randhir Singh Ji in his Gurmat BIbek Bhai Sahib mentions that Khalsa wears Akali Blue to distinct themselves from other panths. Akali Blue has been the color of Khalsa from the beginning of the Sikh religion.

Below is a meagre attempt to explain why BaNa is important. Please correct any mistakes I have made. I hope we can discuss these matters with the rest of the Singhs in a respectful and positive spirit.

Color and Creed

In the old days , one would often wear a color associated with their caste and disposition ( Trigun).

[www.friesian.com]
and
[www.articlealley.com]

The common belief was that people were born into a certain disposition due to their karma and would suffer or gain happiness according to their respective caste.

Guru Sahib was against this concept of color associated with caste and states that in the beginning there was no caste or color so then how did one get inflicted by pain or happiness.

ਜਬ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਰਨੁ ਚਿਹਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਪਤ ॥
ਤਬ ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਕਹੁ ਕਿਸਹਿ ਬਿਆਪਤ ॥

In those old days , Dark Blue ( color of Krishan) was the color of the outcaste who lived who were isolated from society in places like the Jungles. Some udasis would even go to the jungle and paint their bodies dark blue to resemble Krishan who came from a "low caste". Poor people never really wore clothes but the "label/color" was associated with them.

Guru Sahib who regarded himself as the low of the lowest took on this Udasi color of Navy blue ( Akali Blue) when going on his sojourns. Guru Sahib did not take on BLue to resemble Krishna but instead as means to portray he was the lowest of the low and belonged to no previous religions ( Hinuds or Muslims) instead he came to establish a third religion.

ਬਾਬਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਕੇ ਗਇਆ ਨੀਲ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ਬਨਵਾਰੀਚ ( blue color of the jungle which is Navy Blue).

We cannot claim GUru Sahib were the blue or green of the Muslims to blend in and get acceptance in Mecca. Guru Sahib is Nirankar he can appear in Mecca with the blink of an eye. Plus why would Guru Sahib conform to the dress of the Muslims throughout numerous rehats Guru Sahib tell us not to conform to the practices of other faiths. If people are claiming Guru Sahib wore blue to blend in with the Hajis then they probably to would assume that GUru Sahib cut his kesh , and performed Halal which is also a custom of a Haji? But this was not the case Guru Sahib were a distinct dress to disassociate with the religion of the Brahmin and religion of the Muslim.

In Uggardanti Guru Sahib mentions how he came to establish a third religion distinct from the Hindus and Muslims.
he also mentions how the Singhs were dressed in Blue

ਜਗੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੋਧੇ ਧਰੇ ਨੀਲ ਭੇਸਾ I ( Ugradhanthee )

Below is a pangti from the famous poet BHai Gurdas Singh Ji of Sri Dasmesh Pita Jis darbar. BHai Sahib mentions how the Singhs dressed in Blue destroyed the tyrannical opponents.

Exactly why did the Singhs continue the tradition of wearing Akali BLue that was established during Pehli Paatshaas time. The reason being is Dasmi Paathshah wanted to create a monolithic uniform to decimate any association with previous caste or creed. Here is an eyewitness account of the 1699 Vaiskahi smagam in which it is stated theat the Panch wore blue, including Guru Sahib Ji:

(ਭੱਟ ਵਹੀ ਪਰਗਣਾ ਥਾਨੇਸਰ)
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਮਹਲ ਦਸਮਾਂ...ਬੇਟਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਜੀ ਕਾ,
ਸਾਲ ਸਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਸੈ ਪਚਾਵਨ ਮੰਗਲਵਾਰ ਵੈਸਾਖੀ ਕੇ ਦਿਹੁੰ ਪਾਂਚ ਸਿਖੋਂ ਕੋ ਖਾਂਡੇ ਕੀ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਦੀ, ਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਮ ਰਾਖਾ।.....

ਸਭ ਕੋ ਨੀਲੰਬਰ ਪਹਿਨਾਇਆ, ਵਹੀ ਵੇਸ ਅਪਨਾ ਕੀਆ।

are some other sources of the day of Vasakhi

ਕੱਛ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਬੰਧਵਾਇ ਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਮ ਧਰਨੇ ਮਹਾਂ ਕਾਲ ਦਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਨੀਲਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਣਾ I ( Bansavalee Naama )

ਸੀਸ ਕੇਸ ਨੀਲਅੰਬਰੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੰਗਿਆ ਤੇਜ ਨਿਵਾਸ I ( Mehma Prakash )

sources- Tapoban.org

Thats why we have rehats that forbid wearing colors like green and red instead we have rehats that encourage the color of navy blue, yellow and white.

੧ ਸੁਰਮਈ ੨ ਸਵਯੇ ੩. ਪੀਤ ੪ ਹਰਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ।ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੁੰਭੇ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ

and
ਕੱਛ ਸਵਰੇਤ ਔਰ ਨੀਲ ਪਟ, ਜਪੁ ਅਰੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਉਚਾਰ

- Bhai Daya Singh Ji Rehatnamey

It is apparent that Guru Sahib has given us a color(s) to wear to show the equality of brotherhood and destroy any previous association with other caste. This uniform is still appropriate today. For example, take fashoin in the West. If you are from a high social class ( caste) you were fancy designer clothes, but if you arent rich you wear cheap generic brands. When Singhs were the same BaNa we are showing equality which is a Khalsa tradition started by Guru Sahib plus we live as a distinct nation. BaNa is not just about equality its about living up to the image Guru Sahib has blessed us with. If we wear BaNa but dont wake for Amrit Vela, do Nitnem , fight against injustice , practice humility then we are mocking BaNa. Whenever I wear BaNa it reminds me I am the son of the Kings of Kings born in a casteless village of Sri Anandpur Sahib.

In a previous thread I stated that since we are born in the house of the King of Kings why should we dress like Manmukhs. In no way did I mean to imply that does who do not wear BaNa are manmukhs. What I meant to say Is Manmukhs ( Non SIkhs) wear certain clothes which have no spiritual significance, and Gursikhs should avoid wearing meaningless attire that Manmukhs wear. I have seen many Gurmukhs were Western attire, and they are a thousand times better Gursikhs then I am so in no way was I saying people who dont wear BaNa are worser Sikhs. I just feel there is a great importance to adopt the responsibility and privilegeof BaNa outside the Gurdwara Sahib and Sikh programs.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Importance of Bana
July 24, 2010 03:45AM
Wonderful thoughts on Gurmukhi Baana.

Kulbir Singh
July 24, 2010 05:49PM
please clear my confusion on the names for the different colors of blue.

here, guru sahib associates wearing "neel" with erasing sin:

ਨੀਲੀ ਸਿਆਹੀ ਕਦਾ ਕਰਣੀ ਪਹਿਰਣੁ ਪੈਰ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥
The blackness of sin is erased by my wearing of blue clothes, and meditation on the Lord's Lotus Feet is my robe of honor.

here, guru sahib speaks of a filthy baymukh dressed in neel (which is called "blue-black" in the translation)

ਮਲੁ ਜੂਈ ਭਰਿਆ ਨੀਲਾ ਕਾਲਾ ਖਿਧੋਲੜਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਵੇਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਮੁਖੈ ਨੋ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
The faithless baymukh sent out his faithless servant, wearing a blue-black coat, filled with filth and vermin.

ਪਾਸਿ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਕੋਈ ਬਹਣਿ ਜਗਤ ਮਹਿ ਗੂਹ ਪੜਿ ਸਗਵੀ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਇ ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਆਇਆ ॥
No one in the world will sit near him; the self-willed manmukh fell into manure, and returned with even more filth covering him.

here, guru sahib speaks of brahmins wearing neel to please muslims:

ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥
Wearing blue robes, they seek the approval of the Muslim rulers.

here, guru sahib shows that the muslims think god wears neel:

ਕੂਜਾ ਬਾਂਗ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਮੁਸਲਾ ਨੀਲ ਰੂਪ ਬਨਵਾਰੀ ॥
The Muslim devotional pots, calls to prayer, prayers and prayer mats are everywhere; the Lord appears in blue robes.

in gyan parbodh, guru sahib discusses a ritualistic wearing of neel clothing:

ਨਿਵਲ ਆਦਿ ਕਰਣੰ ॥ ਸੁ ਨੀਲ ਆਦਿ ਬਰਣੰ ॥
the practices like neoli (to clean intestines through Yoga) etc., Wearing of beautiful blue clothes etc.

ਅਨੀਲ ਆਦਿ ਧਿਆਨੰ ॥ ਜਪਤ ਤਤ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨੰ ॥੩॥੧੧੧॥
Contemplating on the formless and colourless etc. Recitation and repetition of the Divine Essence (i.e. The Name) is superior to the above mentioned religious rites and is paramount.(3)(111)

bhai gurdas jee describes neel as the color of the rg veda:

ਰਿਗਿ ਨੀਲਬਰਿ ਜੁਜਰ ਪੀਤ ਸੇਤੰਬਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਸਿਆਮ ਸੁਧਾਰਾ ।
Blue dress for Rgveda, yellow for Yajurveda and for singing of the hymns of Samaveda wearing of the white dress became a tradition.

and also describes guru sahib wearing neel robes when he went to mecca:

ਬਾਬਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਮੱਕੇ ਗਇਆ ਨੀਲ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ਬਨਵਾਰੀ ।
Donning blue attire then Baba Nanak went to Mecca.

now comes my confusion.

how do we distinguish the "neel" of muslims, the "neel" of rg veda, the "neel" of hindu religious ritual dress, the "neel" of guru nanak dev jee, and the "neel" of the filthy servant of the baymukh?

are there modifying words in each tuk that i am missing which distinguish one "neel" from another? this is very confusing from a language point of view. is "neel" one color, or many? like in english, we have "blue" for a whole family of colors. within that, we have navy blue, royal blue, electric blue, sky blue, etc, etc...

how do i know which blue is the correct blue for bana? i have one bana in sky blue, one in akali (royal) blue, one in navy blue... i'm not sure which one is "neel".

can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks!
July 24, 2010 08:17PM
For Kashmiris and many others in Pakistan area, the word Neel does not mean Blue but Green. In the light of this information, it seems likely that when the word Neel comes in reference Muslims or for Brahmins trying to please Muslims, it actually means Green. The Neelambar (Blue Clothes) that Khalsa wears, as per Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee is Navy Blue. Other shades of Blue too are acceptable in Panth.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
July 24, 2010 10:07PM
Sukhdeep Singh Veer Ji has given a detailed view on Bana. That is very good article on importance of Bana. Bhein Ji has also compiled all blue. Very informative. In case of following statement of Veer Ji, we were generally taught otherwise.

We cannot claim GUru Sahib were the blue or green of the Muslims to blend in and get acceptance in Mecca. Guru Sahib is Nirankar he can appear in Mecca with the blink of an eye. Plus why would Guru Sahib conform to the dress of the Muslims throughout numerous rehats Guru Sahib tell us not to conform to the practices of other faiths.

I personally feel if somebody believes that Baba Ji wore the color of a HAJI; it does not make any difference or disrespect. It should not be an issue. It is history, so needs lot of study. Nothing to debate here.

What about the following pankities of Bhai Gurdass Ji, which clearly imply that GURU SAHIB wore differently when HE settled at Kartarpur. One may say that the color was same in both ਭੇਖੁ ਉਦਾਸੀ as well as ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਕਪੜੇ. Guru Sahib Himself knows all that.

ਫਿਰਿ ਬਾਬਾ ਆਇਆ ਕਰਤਾਰਪੁਰ ਭੇਖੁ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਸਗਲ ਉਤਾਰਾ ।
Then Baba (Nanak) returned to Kartarpur where he put aside his attire of a Recluse.

ਪਹਿਰਿ ਸੰਸਾਰੀ ਕਪੜੇ ਮੰਜੀ ਬੈਠਿ ਕੀਆ ਅਵਤਾਰਾ ।
Now putting on a householder’s dress, he sat splendidly on a cot (and executed his mission).
July 25, 2010 05:06AM
Nice thoughts Sukhdeep Singh.

Bana is such a powerful gift from Guru sahib. One who wears bana in daily life will know it's affect and power. One thing is for sure, no one can debate whether bana should or should not be worn. How can a Sikh question the importance of bana?

Most of us wear bana to raensubai kirtans/ smagams and feel the "power" for the night. Why not feel like a gursikh everyday? Bana comes naturally to those who are eager to please Guru sahib and keep rehit.

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji.

H.S
July 25, 2010 09:59AM

For Kashmiris and many others in Pakistan area, the word Neel does not mean Blue but Green. In the light of this information, it seems likely that when the word Neel comes in reference Muslims or for Brahmins trying to please Muslims, it actually means Green.

do you have proof of this veerjee? i also read that on tapoban, and if i remember correctly the source was "some kashmiri told someone"...

the word neel has meant blue in persian for thousands of years. did punjabi/sanskrit borrow neel from persian or the other way around? or did it evolve independently? did it temporarily change meanings, and only in kashmir (i didn't know they spoke either persian or punjabi/sanskrit in kashmir)?

in the pashto language, the word for blue and green is the same. but it's not neel, it's sheen. perhaps the person in this story was of pashtoon descent. but still, that doesn't change the meaning of neel to mean green.

please don't be offended by my blunt words. but i have seen a lot of young excitable singhs tend to embellish or make things up in order to prove their views of sikhi, and i would hate to see that spread to this board.
July 25, 2010 01:01PM
VaheguruJiKaKhalsa
VaheguruJiKiFateh

Veerji,

Did you mean Sheen or Neel? Sheen can be green or blue ( especialy when you talk to Kashmiris/Pashto decent people).

Neel is always blue.

Bhul Chuk Di Khima Ji!

Gurfateh!
July 25, 2010 06:32PM

do you have proof of this veerjee? i also read that on tapoban, and if i remember correctly the source was "some kashmiri told someone"...

The proof is a Kashmiri friend himself he told me that Neel in their language means Green. He is from Poonch area of Kashmir and Poonch is close to Rawalpindi area of Pakistan where too this word is used in this meaning.

In any case, Gurbani says that Muslims used to wear Neel colour but Muslims themselves don't give any importance to Blue. Their religious colour is Green. So it seems likely Neel does not mean Blue when used in reference to Muslims.

Another possibility is that Blue colour was the colour of Muslim Royalty or royalty in general. More research is needed in this case.

Kulbir Singh
July 25, 2010 07:28PM
VeerJio!

I wonderwhy your friend told you so, my extended family is from west pakistan area Peshawar (village adezai) and now settled in Kashmir. I reconfirmed from trusted family source, they told me that Neel/Neela is Blue.

I remember How my grandfather talked about Neel Kaftan's for pashtun/kashmiri women.

Neel Kaftan is a famous Kashmiri Dress, which is actually blue in color. you can see the picture of the dress here.

[www.amazon.com]

Also, Prof Sahib singhs translation also says neela color as a meaning of neel not hara.

Bhul chuk di khima jio

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh
July 25, 2010 07:49PM
veerjee, blue has immense importance in islam. blue is considered the color of god, because it is the color of the sky and they think god lives in the sky. blue is the color of protection. mosques all over the world have blue doors for this reason. muslim women in central asia wear blue burkha for this reason. muslim babies are given some jewlery with blue stones for this reason.
in fact, some of the most famous mosques in the world have blue domes.

different colors have special meanings in every faith. we do not "own" the color blue. yes, it's important to us. but it's also important to christians, muslims, jews... we can't change the symbols of their faith simply because we want our own to be unique.

sikhi IS unique, but not because of the color blue. GURU SAHIB makes sikhi unique. SHABAD GURU makes sikhi unique. NAAM makes sikhi unique.
July 25, 2010 07:50PM
Veer Ji,

I just tried to look in to Mahan Kosh also , Bhai Sahib has included almost all the different meanings of Neel. and not a single source says meaning "Hara or green"

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia

ਸੰ. नील. ਧਾ- ਰੰਗਣਾ, ਨੀਲਾ ਰੰਗਾ ਲਾਉਣਾ। (2) {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਇੱਕ ਪੌਧਾ ਜਿਸ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਨੀਲਾ ਰੰਗ ਨਿਕਲਦਾ ਹੈ. Indigo । (3) ਨੀਲ ਪੌਧੇ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਕੱਢਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਰੰਗ। (4) ਸੱਟ ਨਾਲ ਸ਼ਰੀਰ ਪੁਰ ਪਿਆ ਨੀਲਾ ਦਾਗ। ਪ ਕਲੰਕ. ਦਾਗ. ਧੱਬਾ। (6) ਰਾਮਚੰਦ੍ਰ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਸੈਨਾ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਬਾਂਦਰ". ਜਾਮਵੰਤ ਸੁਖੇਨ ਨੀਲ". (ਰਾਮਾਵ)। (7) ਪੁਰਾਣਾਂ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਇਲਾਵ੍ਰਿੱਤ ਖੰਡ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਪਹਾੜ, ਜੋ ਰਮ੍ਯਕ ਵਰ੍ਸਦੀ ਹੱਦ ਪੁਰ ਹੈ। (8) ਨੌ ਨਿਧੀਆਂ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਇੱਕ ਨਿਧਿ। (9) ਨੀਲਮ ਮਣਿ। (10) ਹਜ਼ਾਰ ਅਰਬ ਸੰਖ੍ਯਾ, ੧੦੦੦੦੦੦੦੦੦੦੦੦੦। (11) ਵਿਸ. ਜ਼ਹਿਰ। (12) ਵਟ. ਬਰੋਟਾ. ਬੋਹੜ। (13) ਵਿ- ਨੀਲਾ. ਨੀਲੇ ਰੰਗ ਦਾ. "ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ". (ਵਾਰ ਆਸਾ)। (14) ਮਲੀਨ. ਘਸਮੈਲਾ. "ਨੀਲ ਅਨੀਲ ਅਗਨਿ ਇਕ ਠਾਈ". (ਗਉ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੧) ਮਲੀਨ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ੁਭਵਾਸਨਾ ਰੂਪ ਅਗਨਿ. ਭਾਵ- ਤਾਮਸੀ ਅਤੇ ਰਜੋਗੁਣੀ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਵਾਸਨਾਰੂਪ ਅਗਨਿ। (15) {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਇੱਕ ਛੰਦ. ਦੇਖੋ, ਬਿਸੇਖ। (16) ਅ਼. __ ਮਿਸਰ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਪ੍ਰਸਿੱਧ ਦਰਿਆ. ਦੇਖੋ, ਨੀਲਏਸ ਅਸਤ੍ਰ.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh !
July 25, 2010 08:50PM
Veer Mahapapi jeeo, I don't doubt what your relatives told you but I also don't think the Kashmiri Singh who told me about the word Neel is lying. I will ask him again and will post his answer here.

In the meantime, it does not affect Khalsa, if the Blue colour is holy in Islam or any other religion. The main thing is that Blue is considered to be a colour of Khalsa. Blue Dastaara or Blue Baana is traditionally worn by Khalsa.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written very keenly about this. So much so that even though White Dastara is acceptable in Sikhi, Bhai Sahib refused to wear it, when Kartar Singh Sarabha asked Bhai Sahib to wear it, since it was the colour of Ghadari freedom fighters. Bhai Sahib said that there can be no compromise on Surmai (Navy Blue) Dastara. Then again in 1930, when he arrived in Lahore jail, he stressed to the jail authorities, that he can only wear Surmai Dastaara and Basanti (Yellow) Keski.

Rest, many proofs have been presented by Veer Sukhdeep Singh about the importance of Blue colour for Khalsa attire.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
July 25, 2010 08:58PM

veerjee, blue has immense importance in islam. blue is considered the color of god, because it is the color of the sky and they think god lives in the sky. blue is the color of protection. mosques all over the world have blue doors for this reason. muslim women in central asia wear blue burkha for this reason. muslim babies are given some jewlery with blue stones for this reason.
in fact, some of the most famous mosques in the world have blue domes.

Bhain jeeo, I was not aware of the above facts. So it looks like, Blue does have significance in Islam. I stand corrected.

sikhi IS unique, but not because of the color blue. GURU SAHIB makes sikhi unique. SHABAD GURU makes sikhi unique. NAAM makes sikhi unique.

Naam is the main reason that makes Sikhi unique but Rehit too makes us unique. Dastaara, 5 Kakaars, our Baana, Gurbani Kirtan, Degh, Langar and numerous other things make Sikhi unique. The fact that Khalsa Baana is of one of the 4 acceptable colours too makes Sikhi unique. But your point that Naam is the most distinguishing feature of Sikhi, is correct. I totally agree with it.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
July 25, 2010 08:59PM
Kulbir Singh Veer Ji,

I second your views on importance of Blue color for Khalsa, there is no debate on that, I was just pointing on the fact that Neel doesn't mean hara, it means Neela/ Blue.

I hope there is no confusion left.

Bhul chuk di Khima jio!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh
July 26, 2010 02:59PM
Navy Blue has no significance in Islam. The predominant colors in Islam are green ( color of peace) , white ( color of purity) and sky blue ( color of the Sky). Sky blue is different then Navy Blue (ਸੁਰਮਈ). The picture below shows the color of sky blue

[www.allposters.com]

Many women wear a sky blue burka and many men wear sky blue Kurta when going to the mosque on Friday. Sometimes when neel is mentioned in Gurbani it is referring to sky blue. Fr example the following pangti

Neel is referring to the sky blue robe of Muslims. In the past, the Brahmins would secretly change their white robe for a blue robe of the Muslims and practice the customs of the Muslims. Guru Sahib was pointing out the hypocrisy of the Brahmins. Guru Sahib wanted to make sure that his Gurmukhs did not follow this type of hypocrisy, and make sure we stay firm on the path of Gurmat. Thats why Guru Sahib tells us what to wear and what not to wear.

Either way it has been well recorded in ancient Sikh texts about the importance of Blue, in addition it has been an oral tradition that has been propagated through rehatvan Singh.

Below in an extract of Bhai Randhir Singh Jis book in which Bhai Sahib mentions navy blue is the color of Khalsa

ਖਾਲਸਾ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਾ ਸ਼ਸਤਰਾਂ ਸੁਰਮਈ ਅਕਾਲੀ ਬਸਤਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਦਾੜਿਆ ਵਾਲੇ ਦਿਦਾਰਿਆ ਸਹਿਤ ਸਜੇ ਧਜੇ ਸੂਰਬੀਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਸ਼ਾਨ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿਣਾ
July 26, 2010 03:19PM

Sometimes when neel is mentioned in Gurbani it is referring to sky blue. Fr example the following pangti

veerjee, my punjabi is very weak. can you tell me which word denotes "sky" color of neel? i have a hard time telling one "neel" from another.

thanks!
July 26, 2010 07:13PM
Veer Sukhdeep Singh has given us following views.

ਬਾਬਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਕੇ ਗਇਆ ਨੀਲ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ਬਨਵਾਰੀ ( blue color of the jungle which is Navy Blue).

ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ (Neel is referring to the sky blue robe of Muslims)

Veer Ji is really doing a hard job to prove that in case Guru Sahib wears ਨੀਲ it is Navy Blue and if Brahmin wear it, it is Sky blue.

I wonder, why we cannot "allow" Guru Sahib to wear Sky Blue. confused smiley. We do not "like" HIM to see in muslim color as someone does not like GURU Sahib to write about hindu dieties. My Guru cannot write about unrecommended, my Guru cannot wear unrecommended. He is my Guru.

Guru Sahib Himself knows all that.
July 26, 2010 10:19PM
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes when neel is mentioned in Gurbani it is
> referring to sky blue. Fr example the following
> pangti
>
> ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ
> ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥
>
> veerjee, my punjabi is very weak. can you tell me
> which word denotes "sky" color of neel? i have a
> hard time telling one "neel" from another.
>
> thanks!

I dont think there is any specific word for " sky blue". To determine the color-neel we have to take the whole pangti into context. Its pretty much common sense. Muslims did not wear navy blue ( dark blue ) at the mosque. Instead they wore sky blue the same color Brahmins would wear one going to the mosque. If Guru Sahib adopted the Muslims robe It would not make sense for Guru Sahib to criticize the Brahmins for changing robes ; thus we can conclude that neel in Bhai Gurdas Jis vaars is not referring to Sky blue or green. In addition there is no proof that Navy blue is a prominent color for Muslims or Hindus. Either way I have no interest in discussing this topic any further. For some of us Navy blue is a special color and for others it is not.
July 27, 2010 04:44AM
I was going to write exactly what Veer Sukhdeep Singh has written above. Thinking logically, it now makes sense to think that the Blue that is holy for Muslims is the sky-Blue, so when the word neel comes in context of Islam, it should mean sky-Blue and when Neel comes in reference to Guru Sahib or Singhs, it should mean Surmai.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
July 27, 2010 07:42AM
Veer "Mahapapi" jeeo,

As promised I contacted the Singh but haven't been able to talk to him yet but his wife confirmed the following for me:

You are correct! Where he is from they use the Neel or Neela word to describe the colour green. He always call the green mirch "Neeli Mirch" and I always correct him by saying its "Hari Mirch".

This Singh is from Poonch area of Kashmir and is close to Rawalpindi area of Pakistan. If you want, I can give you his contact number and you can contact him directly.

Having said that, based on the Vichaar done in this thread, it is more probable that the Neel colour when in reference to Muslims means Sky-Blue.

Kulbir Singh
July 27, 2010 10:41AM
Sat Bachan Ji!
April 19, 2011 04:57PM
I thought Sangat might be interested here is an additional source which mentions GUru Sahib told his Gursikhs
to wear BaNa after talking Amrit.

ਤਾਂ ਸੀਸ ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਕ ਸਿਪਾਹੀ ਕਰਨੇ, ਕਟਿ ਸ਼ਾਸਤਰ ਬੰਧਵਾਇ ਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਮ ਧਰਨੇ ਮਾਤਾ ਕਾਲੀ ਦਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਨੀਲਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਣਾ.
One is to keep their hair and be a warrior. They should keep the last name Singh, keep arms,
and wear Blue BaNa like the color of Mata Kali ( dark blue),

Bansvalinama, Dasmi Paatshah
April 20, 2011 07:47AM

ਮਾਤਾ ਕਾਲੀ ਦਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਨੀਲਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਣਾ.

The above quote seems like Manmat. It has been mentioned by many scholars and Soora Parivaar (AKJ) in early 1980s published a book that showed that some Rehitnaamas have been doctored by Panth-enemies. What is Mata Kaali for a Sikh? Dasso Mata Kaali, Saadi kee lagdi hai? Such references of Mata Kaali or Sooraj Devta are there in Rehitnamas to bring Shardha in Sikhs, for these deities.

And "Mata Kali da Baana" does not translate into "BaNa like the color of Mata Kali" but translates into "Baana of Mata Kaali", which does not seem in accordance to Gurmat. As far as I have seen, Mata Kali hardly wears anything. Here is a picture of her:

Are Sikhs supposed to wear her Baana? Many (specially Bengalis) have immense Shardha in her and that's fine with us but Sikhs don't worship, imitate, or get inspired by any other deities than Gur-Parmeshar.

Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.
April 20, 2011 09:10AM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jeeo

ਤਾਂ ਸੀਸ ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਕ ਸਿਪਾਹੀ ਕਰਨੇ, ਕਟਿ ਸ਼ਾਸਤਰ ਬੰਧਵਾਇ ਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਮ ਧਰਨੇ ਮਾਤਾ ਕਾਲੀ ਦਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਨੀਲਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਣਾ.

These poetic verses are not to be taken literally. MataKali is referring to
dark color, and ਕਟਿ ਸ਼ਾਸਤਰ is referring to Sri Sahib outside of the sheath.

Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama also mentions wearing blue color bana
and bearing sword outside of the sheath while reciting Chandi Di Vaar.
ਕੱਛ ਸਵੇਤ ਔਰ ਨੀਲ ਪਟ, ਜਪੁ ਅਰੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਓੁਚਾਰ
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ, ਚੰਡੀ ਕੰਠ ਸੁਧਾਰਿ ।

- With white kashera, and blue Chola recite Jap and Jaap.
Praise Sri Akal ,and recite Chandi Di Vaar through memory.

Bhai Daya Singh Ji rehatnama

Color blue is the wedding dress of shaheeds who attain death to meet their Husband WaaheGuru.
Mata Kali is known for death thus this character has been mentioned in verses for poetic reasons.

When we recite Chandi Di Vaar wearing blue bana and with Sri Sahib outside of sheath we are not worshipping Mata Kali. We are worshipping Sri Bhagauti Ji the same Sri Bhagauti Ji who allowed Durga to destroy thousand of demons THe same Bhagauti Ji that destroyed Harnaksh, Ravana, Kansa, Aurangzeb, etc. By reciting Chandi Di Vaar with Sri Sahib outside of sheath we are paying respects to shaster (Sri Sahib). Bhai Randhir Singh Ji has wrote extensively on the importance of showing respects to Sri Sahib.

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਨੂੰ ਮਹਿਜ਼ ਇਕ ਤ੍ਰੀਮਤ ਮਤ ਖਿਆਲ ਕਰੋ, ਦੇਵੀ ਮਤ ਖਿਆਲ ਕਰੋ, ਉਸ ਅੰਦਰ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਨੇ ਕਲਾ-ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਮੀ ਤੇ ਆਕ੍ਰਖਣੀ ਬਲ ਪਾਇਆ ਤਾਂ ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਸਮੂਹ ਦੈਂਤਾਂ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ਼ ਕਰਾਇਆ। ਇਸ ਕਲਾ-ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਮੀ ਬਲ ਬਿਹੂਣ ਤੇ ਖੜਗ-ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪੀ-ਦੀਖਿਆ ਹੀਣ ਭਾਵੇਂ ਲੱਖ ਕੋਟਿ ਖੂਹਣੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਲਸ਼ਕਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਲਸ਼ਕਰ ਹੋਣ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਕੁਝ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਰ ਸਕਦਾ। ਭਾਵੇਂ ਅਜਿਹੇ ਨਿਗੁਰੇ, ਗੁਰ-ਦੀਖਿਆ-ਹੀਣ ਲਸ਼ਕਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਸਮੱਗਰ ਨਿਪੁੰਸਕ ਅਖੌਤੀ ਜੋਧਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਹੱਥਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਤਲਵਾਰਾਂ ਕਿਉਂ ਨਾ ਫੜਾਈਆਂ ਜਾਣ। ਇਹੋ ਕਾਰਨ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਰੂਪੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ (ਭਗਉਤੀ) ਤੋਂ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮੇਸ਼ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਸਾਜੇ ਨਿਵਾਜੇ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਜੀ ਹੀ ਵਰੋਸਾਏ ਗਏ ਅਤੇ ਹੁਣ ਵੀ ਵਰੋਸਾਏ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੇ ਖੰਡੇ ਦਾ ਅਮ੍ਰਿੰਤ ਛਕਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਸੀ ਤੇ ਛਕਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਬਿਨਾਂ ਤਿਸ ਖੰਡੇਧਾਰ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਛਕੇ ਦੇ ਖੰਡੇ ਖੜਗੇਸ਼ੀ ਗੁਰ-ਦੀਖਿਆ ਲਏ ਦੇ, ਇਹ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਰੂਪੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਯੁੱਧ ਵਿਖੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੇ ਕੰਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਆ ਸਕਦੀ। ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਖੰਡੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਤੇ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਤਿਕਾਰ ਹੈ, ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਹੱਥਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਆਇਆ ਹੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸੱਚਾ ਸ਼ੋਭਨੀਕ ਖੰਡੇਧਾਰ ਵਾਹ ਦਾਹ ਦਾ ਕੰਮ ਲੈ ਸਕਦੀ ਹੈ। ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮੇਸ਼ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਇਸੇ ਕਰਕੇ ਹੀ ਇਹ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਕੀਤੇ ਹਨ:-

ਅਸਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਖੰਡੇ ਖੜਗ ਤੁਬਕ ਤਬਰ ਅਰ ਤੀਰ॥

ਸੈਫ ਸਰੋਹੀ ਸੈਹਥੀ ਯਹੈ ਹਮਾਰੇ ਪੀਰ॥3॥

-ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਨਾਮ ਮਾਲਾ, ਦਸਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ

ਸੋ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਦਸਮੇਸ਼ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਸਮੂਹ ਸ਼ਸਤਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਯਥਾ ਜੋਗ ਸਨਮਾਨ ਸਤਿਕਾਰ ਐਥੋਂ ਤਕ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਸ਼ਸਤਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪੀਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਪੂਜਣ ਦੀ ਸਿੱਖਿਆ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ। ਪਰ ਇਸ ਦਾ ਅਰਥ ਇਹ ਹਰਗਿਜ਼ ਨਹੀਂ ਜੈਸੇ ਕਿ ਅੱਜ ਕੱਲ੍ਹ ਦੇ ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਗੜੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਖ਼ਿਆਲਾਂ ਵਾਲੇ ਲਹੂ ਦਾ ਤਿਲਕ ਸ਼ਸਤਰਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਲਾ ਕੇ ਪੂਜਦੇ ਹਨ। ਇਹ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਨਿਰੀ ਮਨਮਤਿ ਹੈ।

ਪਰ ਇਸ ਵਿਚ ਰੰਚਕ ਸੰਦੇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਿ ਤੇਜ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪੀ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਸਨਮਾਨਕ ਖੜਗਧਾਰੀ ਸਿੰਘਾਂ ਦੇ ਹੱਥਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਆਈ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਹੀ ਸੱਚੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ) ਦਾ ਕੰਮ ਦੇ ਸਕਦੀ ਹੈ। ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਖੜਗਕੇਤ ਦੀ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ੀ ਹੋਈ ਖੰਡਾ-ਖੜਗੇਸ਼ੀ-ਕਲਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਹੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਹੈ।
April 20, 2011 09:40AM
Sukhdeep Singh jeeo,

When we recite Chandi Di Vaar wearing blue bana and with Sri Sahib outside of sheath we are not worshipping Mata Kali. We are worshipping Sri Bhagauti Ji the same Sri Bhagauti Ji who allowed Durga to destroy thousand of demons

I did not say anywhere that when we recite Chandi di Vaar we are worshipping Mata Kali. I know that Bhagauti we worship is Vaheguru Himself and not some Devi, no matter how strong or powerful she is. The status of the Devi in Gurughar is that she sweeps the floor there and gets all her power from the dust of Sangat. Please refer to Baba Lehna jee's Saakhi of seeing Devi sweeping the floor at Siri Kartarpur Sahib.

But in the quote that you gave, Mata Kali clearly means the Devi Kali, and not Akal Purakh. And furthermore the quote was telling us to wear the Baana of Mata Kali. We surely should wear Blue Baana but not that of Mata Kali but that of Siri Guru Kalgidhar jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
April 20, 2011 10:02AM
I agree with Bhai Sahib Kulbir Singh jee. Sukhdeep Singh, I don't intend to sound mean, but I honestly suggest you improve your Punjabi vocabulary. You misunderstand and misintrepret many writings, and this one happens to be one of them. From reading "ਮਾਤਾ ਕਾਲੀ ਦਾ ਬਾਣਾ ਨੀਲਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਣਾ.", it is clear that we are being told to dress like Mata Kaali, who is one of godessess of the Hindu religion. The above statement is not referring to Vaheguru as Mata Kaali, rather it is clearly telling us to dress like Mata Kaali, and I do not know of any Gursikh who would want to do that, you I don't know about since you have quoted this passage.

I have stated before in my "Dasvandh" thread, not all Rehitnameys are authentic are perfectly in line with Gurmat. Some have written by Panthic enemies to create confusion. When Singhs lived in the rain forests, mostly the Hindus took control of the Gurudvares and historical Sikh artifacts, and therefore; saw this as an opportunity to distort and destroy the Sikh religion and masses, as RSS continues to do so.

It would have made sense had it said: Sri Guru Kalgidhar Jee Daa Neelaa Baanaa Pehravana, or something of this sort. But it does not say anything within the context of Gurmat.

NO, I WILL NOT DRESS LIKE MATA KAALI. I AM HAPPY WEARING THE BANA OF SIRI GURU KALGIDHAR JEE. THANK YOU.
April 20, 2011 10:48AM
Going back to an earlier post.... Many Gursikhs do not always wear a navy blue dastaar. I wonder why Bhai Randheer Singh said it was uncompromisable? Could this have been related to their own nature and personality of uncompromisability, or is this an important rehit which impacts Guru Sahib's khushee with us?
April 20, 2011 11:29AM
WJKK WJKF

Could we make a list of all the rehits one need to be Khalsa -- is there such a list?

Sukhdeep Jeeo or Kulbir Jeeo or anyone it would be interesting to see what SGGS jee says about colour of wearing certain colours??
April 20, 2011 11:39AM
"ns" "jeeo"

Please write SINGH with names of fellow forum members. It comes across very impolite when you call a Singh by half their name. You have been kindly asked before too.

Please be more vigilant "ns" "jeeo".

Thank you.

H.S
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login