ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sri Jap Ji Sahib

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Sri Jap Ji Sahib
July 17, 2010 03:25PM
VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh sangat jeeo!

Could gurmukhs please share anything about the mahatam of Sri Jap Ji Sahib? Any katha, or writings of other Gursikhs, thank you sangat jeeo.
Vaheguroo
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sri Jap Ji Sahib
July 18, 2010 06:20AM
Very good topic Veer Uttam Singh jeeo. Presented below is a Saakhi this Daas wrote many years ago.

The Greatness of Siri Jap jee Sahib

Guru Hargobind Sahib jee’s darbar was going on. Guru Sahib addressed the sangat and asked if anyone could recite shudh paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib. For some time there was a complete silence but then Bhai Gopaala jee got up and with his hands folded did benti that he would attempt to recite shudh paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib.

Guru Sahib made him sit on a place higher than His own throne. Bhai Gopaala jee with great devotion and love started doing the paath of Siri Jap jee Sahib. He did paath with total concentration and by the kirpa of Guru jee, no other thought came to his mind.

The whole sangat was sitting with closed eyes, listening to the maha mantra – Siri Jap jee Sahib. He recited sunan waaliyaan pauriyaan, then mannan waaliyaan pauriyaan and when he arrived at “teerath tap daya datt daan”, Guru Sahib decided to give him gur-gaddi for such shudh paath.

Bhai Gopaala jee who was doing paath with utmost concentration, had a furnaa (thought) come to his mind, as he reached “Nanak Nadri Nadar Nihaal”. He thought that if Guru Sahib asked him to ask for something, he would ask for one of the 5 special horses that Guru Sahib had recently received. Four of those five great horses had been distributed to Bhai Bidhi Chand jee, Painde Khaan, Guru Sahib himself and Bhai Jetha jee. Only one was left to be given and Bhai Gopaala jee wanted that horse.

At the bhog of the paath, Guru Sahib gave Bhai Gopaala jee a lot of pyaar and ordered one of his Sikhs to give Bhai Gopaala jee the new horse. Then he mentioned that he was preparing to give him gur-gaddi, if he had not thought of the horse.

This saakhi is great and we can learn a lot from it:

1) Anything can be attained with shudh paath, with concentration.

2) Siri Jap jee Sahib is a mahamantra and just one paath can get one anything one wants. Imagine Mahapurakhs like Sant Attar Singh jee Mastuanewale, who did 175 paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib a day till he completed 125,000 paaths, at Hazoor Sahib. It is a good idea to add more paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib and Siri Sukhmani Sahib on top of our regular Gurbani Nitnem.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
July 18, 2010 08:48AM
Please also see here Bhai Uttam Singh Jee: Greatness of Siri Japjee Sahib
July 18, 2010 01:35PM
Uttam Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh sangat
> jeeo!
>
> Could gurmukhs please share anything about the
> mahatam of Sri Jap Ji Sahib? Any katha, or
> writings of other Gursikhs, thank you sangat
> jeeo.
> Vaheguroo

Sri Jap Ji Sahib is an extremely blessed Bani. Its the first Bani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Before Khandi Di Pahul Amrit Sanchar, Gurmukhs who were initiated into Gurmat Naam through Guru Sahibs charan would recite Sri JapJi Sahib for five times as soon as they wake and take Ishnaan as this was part of their nithem in those times. Guru Sahib said the Gusikhs who did this nitnem of Sri Jap Ji Sahib five times would purify the intellect. Some Gurmukhs like Bhai Randhir Singh Ji kept this tradition of reciting JapJi Sahib numerous times upon waking. I have also heard that Sant Jarnail Singh Ji was also fond on reciting this bani numerous times. When I went to DamDama Sahib I remember reading that Baba Deep Singh Ji use to eat a little food and he would recite this bani hundreds of times a day. Some Gursikhs also like to recite this bani during noon as per Gurmat Tradition.

I tried to keep the tradition of reciting Sri Japji Sahib 5 times for Amrit Vela but I had a hard time finishing the remaining Nitnem and doing Naam Abhyiaas since it takes me some time to recite Sri JapJi Sahib . Hopefully Guru Sahib will give more kirpa and allow us to follow this tradition. I remember Veer Kulbrir Singh Ji mentioning that the more times you recite a specific bani- the more it becomes automatic and eventually one can recite this bani in a matter of minutes.
July 19, 2010 05:55AM
Shudh Uchaaran Importance (ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਮਹਾਨਤਾ)
Sakhi Bhai Gopala Jee (ਭਾਈ ਗੋਪਾਲਾ ਜੀ):

Upon the victory of the Second Hargobindpur(ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦਪੁਰ) battle, Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee had set up a congregation for the sangat(ਸੰਗਤ ) and the fallen Shaeeds(ਸ਼ਹੀਦਾਂ). After the war Gurusahib’s state of mind was one of gratitude and calmness. GuruSahib looked to the sangat and did Benti to all his sikhs. He asked if there is any sikh who can recite Sri JapJi Sahib Jee correctly(ਸ਼ੁੱਧ) with all the characters(ਲਗਾਂ) and full focus(ਇਕਾਗ੍ਰਤਾ). One of GuruSahib Jee’s sikhs, Bhai Gopala Jee obtained shudh santhya (ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਸੰਥਾ) from Guru Arjun Dev Sahib Jee himself. Bhai Sahib gets up and does Benti(ਬੇਨਤੀ) to Guru Hargobind Sahib Maharaj to give him the strength and blessing to recite Sri Jap Ji Sahib. Pleased, GuruSahib gave Bhai Gopala Jee a seat(ਆਸਨ) at the highest point of the congregation. Bhai Santokh Singh Jee in Sooraj Parkash (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਤਾਪ ਸੂਰਜ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ) writes:

ਬੈਠਯੋ ਸਨਮੁਖ; ਲੱਗਯੋ ਉਚਾਰਨ॥ ਸਿਮਰਯੋ, ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਖ ਕਾਰਨ॥

Sitting infront of GuruSahib, Bhai Gopala Jee first contemplated on Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee’s name and then began to recite Sri JapJi Sahib Jee.

ਪੂਰਬ ਕਹਿ, ਇੱਕਓਅੰਕਾਰ॥ ਸਤਿਨਾਮੁ ਕੋ, ਬਹੁਰ ਉਚਾਰ॥

With full focus and concentration he recited Ik Oankar (ਇੱਕਓਅੰਕਾਰ) with correct pronounciation and characters(ਲਗਾਂ). Then he continued in the same manner with Satnam(ਸਤਿਨਾਮੁ).

ਇੱਕਓਅੰਕਾਰ, ਜਬ ਮੁਖੋਂ ਉਚਾਰਾ॥ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਰ, ਗੁਰ ਕਰਤਾਰਾ॥

Upon hearing the beautiful Banee, Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee bowed down to the Gurshabad Banee.

ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸੁਨਿ ਕਰ ਜੋਰਿ॥ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕੀਨੀ, ਸਿਖ ਓਰਿ॥

Then Gurusahb proceeds to clasp his hands and pay reverence to Bhai Gopala Jee.

ਦੋਹਰਾ॥ ਅਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭਏ; ਸੁਨਤ ਪਾਠ ਨਿਰਧਾਰ॥ ਨਿੱਜ ਮਨ ਮੈਂ ਐਸੇ ਕਹਾ; ਕਿਆ ਦੇਵੋਂ ਇਹ ਵਾਰ॥

Upon hearing the Banee, GuruSahib was overcome with euphoria(ਵਿਸਮਾਦ). He was so pleased with the way Bhai Gopala Jee was doing Banee that he thought to himself, what could I possibly give in return for hearing Banee so beautifully? If I make him emperor of the world, thats temporal. What should be given to award such beautiful recitation of Banee?

ਦੋਹਰਾ॥ ਦਿਲੀ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਸਮਝ ਕੈ; ਬੋਲੇ ਗੁਰ ਕਰਤਾਰ॥ ਅਚੱਲ ਰਾਜ ਦੇਵਨ ਲੱਗੇ; ਕਿਆ ਕੀਨੀ ਇਹ ਕਾਰ॥

With their heart full of love, Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee decided to give him the one kingdom that was eternal: Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee’s Throne (ਗੁਰਗੱਦੀ). Guru Sahib moved one of his knees to get up from their throne and give the Gursikh their seat(ਸਿੰਘਾਸਨ). At that point, JapJi Sahib had reached the final stanza (ਸਲੋਕ). After seeing GuruSahib get up, Bhai Gopala jee’s concentration was dissrupted, a thought(ਫ਼ੁਰਨਾ) crossed his mind that Guru Sahib was leaving. Bhai Gopala Jee thought if Guru Sahib did not leave, Guruji would gift him a royal horse from GuruSahib’s stable. Understanding BhaiSahib’s sudden thought, GuruSahib gets up at the completion of JapJi Sahib and hugs Bhai Gopala Jee. Guru Sahib tells him that ‘I was about to give you Guru Nanak Dev Jee’s crown had you not asked for a horse.’

ਧੰਨ ਜਨਮ ਅਬ, ਤੁਮਰਾ ਭਯੋ॥ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ, ਸਗਲਾ ਦੁਖ ਗਯੋ॥

GuruSahib was so pleased that he gave Bhai Sahib blessings (ਵਰ )after granting him the royal horse. Bhai Sahib’s life was blessed and he was free from the birth and death cycle. He was liberated from all his sorrow and pains in the physical and afterlife.

ਜੋ ਤੁਮ ਮਨ ਮੈ, ਇਛਾ ਧਾਰੋ॥ ਸੋ ਲੇਵੋ; ਨਹਿੰ ਦੇਰ ਬਿਚਾਰੋ॥

Guru Sahib goes on further to say that any wishes that you may ever have will come to fruitation instantly.

The importance of doing Shudh Banee cannot be understated. If GuruSahib himself was about to give his throne(ਗੁਰਗੱਦੀ) based on the correct recitation of Bani, imagine how much significance reciting Shudh Banee holds.

July 19, 2010 02:58PM
Vaheguroo vaheguroo, thank you sangat jeeo for your wonderful posts, I'd personally also direct sangat to this katha by Giani Thakur Singh JI:

[www.gurmatveechar.com]

May Gursikhs please keep contributing smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login