ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gurmat kamai in grisht jeevan

Posted by sikh_learner 
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fataih..

sangat jio,

With blessings of Guru-Sahib, Anand-karaj of daas had taken place last year(as per maryada). We both wanted to earn more love of Guru Sahib by engaging us in sewa/simran/sangat but we are badly failed due to engagement in sansaarik relations...

My parents are not amritdhari & they have no importance of rehat...especially food (we are using same kitchen) ..Moreover, since they are more into wordly affairs...relations and wordly engagements matters more to them & sometimes,we have been forced to perform such wordly duties which we think as mere waste of time...

Moreover,they way parents are responding to our thoughts on gurmat seems not acceptable to my singhni(sometimes)...despite of many loving efforts, they are not in a situation to change themselves...

Also there are relatives who are trying their best to disturb the peace in our home...by using..nindia & other means...

I've been sugested with choice of making a separate setup (away from my parents) by my singhni...but ...am afraid...as both my parents are patients & I am the only son....

I wanted to live a life according to the Guru Sahib ji's teachings but also do not want to part with the parents...have heard about stories about gursikhs that have left their parents & are settled abroad...they may be leading a gursikh way of life but leaving parents and then preaching gurmat seems not fine for me....

***********************************************************************************************************

my singhni remained depressed most of the times, due to my parents attitude & way of life(non-cleanliness, rough talks etc).... & i failed to console her that we need not to concentrate on these things & think about naam-simran/sewa...but it happenned that we had big fights sometimes between us (bcause of my parents attitude)....

Please kirpa kareo sangat ji.... share ur suggestions....

We desperately need sangat di charandhoor... kirtan de gaffey...naam-abhiyaas di kamai..

Daas
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
"Sikh Learner" jeeo,

You have a heavy responsibility on your shoulders and you have to do justice to both sides - your wife and your parents. You have mentioned that you are the only son and as such your parents are dependant on you. On the other hand your wife too is dependant on you alone. Small conflicts are part of all households and one cannot take a drastic step of getting separate because of these small conflicts.

My parents are not amritdhari & they have no importance of rehat...especially food (we are using same kitchen) ..Moreover, since they are more into wordly affairs...relations and wordly engagements matters more to them & sometimes,we have been forced to perform such wordly duties which we think as mere waste of time...

No one can force a Gurmukh to perform anti-Gurmat worldly duties and as such you should politely decline your parents' such wishes. Same way, in cases of Rehit, you should take a strong but polite stand and not compromise on Rehit.

I've been sugested with choice of making a separate setup (away from my parents) by my singhni...but ...am afraid...as both my parents are patients & I am the only son....
I wanted to live a life according to the Guru Sahib ji's teachings but also do not want to part with the parents...have heard about stories about gursikhs that have left their parents & are settled abroad...they may be leading a gursikh way of life but leaving parents and then preaching gurmat seems not fine for me....

You will have to do some serious talk with your parents and explain to them that you may have to take the drastic step of settling separately if they don't stop their unreasonable actions. This will bring wisdom to them. Also ask your wife to have more patience. Having said that, I don't think you should settle separately because both of your parents are patients and dependant on you. Getting separate is a step that should be taken in an extreme situation.

Daas strongly suggests that you get in touch with senior Gursikhs of your area and get their advice. Ask them to do Ardaas for your situation and if possible do a Samagam at your home or elsewhere for the betterment of your situation.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
1.Dass comes from a similar background just that am unmarried.
Found the answer in Gurmukh piarey Gyani Niranjan Singh jis word :

"Someone may Criticize , Offend or Provoke you. Do not accept the instant reaction that comes from within you.This is the first step towards bhagti."
remember this formula>>>> C.O.P= being Criticized+Offended+Provoked

a surge of krodh appears in ourselves because our houmei gets hurt. Refuse that reaction! Trust Chatrik, this is indeed true and beneficial.
Remain quite & focused on naam when you and your Singhni are in this situation.
We should be uttering Naam all the time, but in such situation both of you should start ringing Naam within yourselves intensely. Naam also blesses us wisdom to deal with hard situations.smiling smiley

This will only happen when we truly start doing abhiyaas lovingly, where the mind is lovingly focused on Naam in utter humility. (amritwela+humility+rehat all the things discussed in the forum)

2. No one can force you to do anything. When someone does exert pressure, just say "ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨ ਨਹੀ ਮਨਦਾ " politely . If the activity indeed strays you away from Gurmat.

3.You refered to their attitude & way of life.
Dont try to change them. It just never works. Instead try to make them understand your point of view.
You have to understand that people void of Gurmat dont know value if Naam+Gurmat Prema Bhagti.

If a crazy person kills someone can that person be convicted for crime? In the same way, how can we blame people who commit deeds out of houmei and influenced by maya? (when the realization of houmei & maya as a sickness is not even in them in the first place!)

If we have been blessed with gurmat, then should be merciful towards their pitiful "state of mind".
Seriously, only doing abhiyaas lovingly can help build patience within us, there is just no other remedy.

4.When ever Chatrik gets very annoyed with mata ji, dass tells himself. " Well you were equally annoying when you were a child and she patient enough with you. So why cant you do it now? "
Our gursikhi starts at home. If we cant learn to deal difficult with situations and adopt gurmat values at home, then where & when will we learn and infuse them into our jeevan?

chatrik begs for forgiveness for any unnecessary babbling or offending you veer ji & phen ji...

Moorakhpan di khimma bakhshni ji....

Chota veer
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fataih..

sangat jio,

The point of naam simran as suggested is truly a medicine that will solve all issues but daas is very much worried that my singhni is that much depressed that she is not willing to sit with me in naam-abhiyaas at all..if i cared about parents she is worried that I am supporting them(while they r performing anti-gurmat deeds)... if I support her,parents are worried that I m not taking their care..

On another account,it happenned many times that my parents are seeming to give more love/affection to my only sister and not my singhni(this is the story of all house-holds & this is REALLY hurting us on the gurmat-path ....

I tried requesting my singhni many times to do paath with me so that a bond of unbreakable respect/trust/love developed between us but she hardly understands my words now (bcause of tension in home).... it was before our Anand-Karaj that we did gurbani-sewa and naam-abhiyaas collective(on phone) but situation now is badly stopping us to sit together for laha....

Please guide ji....
I think u shud take a small rented house in the same city, not that far from your parents. Practice your strict rehit and at the same time welcome ur parents whenever they come and whenever they get ill, u shud perform ur duty as a son.
Well I am not sure if anyone can 100% help you here unfortunately as the situation is different everywhere, although the CAUSE/Players are always the same (YOU + Singhni + Parents) . To be very frank i have so far not heard single family(Indians/Pakistanis) who hasnt gone through this cycle. Very very difficult.

I once had a south Indian working with me who gave me a little of an idea to handle this situation.

He said , "Second day of my marriage my wife complained that your(my) mother has said me this and that and so on. Next day in the morning i called my mother and wife face to face and asked my wife to explain what has happened. According to him both (his wife and mother) sighed a bit and it seemed both had some LOOON MACHALLA added to actual story".

So according to him best solution is to make everyone involved face to face.

Again its difficult for the SINGH and i think the reason is Attachments. (all you can do is : Refuse that reaction)

With Wife in the house Mother/Father starts feeling that they are being ignored. The problem is also with the new generation Singhnis, they are modern (pls forgive me to say this). There are no patience anywhere.

Think of this.

If Dad of the Singhni says something bad to the girl thats taken lightly but if the SAURAA Sahib (Singh's father) says a little bit thats taken with all back power. I have heard daughter's listening KUTI from their mothers with laughing faces but when it comes to SUSS MAAN (mother of the Singh) , the things will not be that easily taken.

But believe me guys - Parents are rarely-2 wrong(dont say Singhnis are wrong), only thing is that they sometimes execute their actions wrongly but in heart they never ever want their child to suffer.

So dear, at the end its something you have to understand better according t o the situation, take guru sahib's OT and manage it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!

The problem is also with the new generation Singhnis, they are modern (pls forgive me to say this). There are no patience anywhere.

or maybe the problem is with old fashioned attitudes by Singhs, who automatically assume the woman is at fault. why would you even make such a baseless accusation?

given that the parents this situation are not into sikhi and singhni is amritdhari, i would suggest that maybe it's the parents who need to make the adjustments here, instead of blaming the singhni.

gurbani says that parents won't go with you in the end, but gursikh husband and wife are one soul in two bodies, so i would focus on gurmat based relationship between husband and wife first, as it will take you farther spiritually. don't compromise your sikhi just for parents. i know it's indian tradition to sacrifice everything for parents and to obey elders unquestioningly. but elders aren't always right. and in the end, it's guru sahib that matters most. who knows, maybe it's your parents' karam to be alone in old age. or maybe siding with your singhni and keeping your rehet strong will shock them enough to open their eyes to their mistake of going away from sikhi.

ultimately, no one here can give you the right answer. it has to be up to you. keep strong with your singhni, with the two of you sharing gursikhi, she's who can help strengthen your jeevan more than any other human person. do ardaas for your parents. in the end though, it has to be your decision.

signed,
"modern" singhni
Bhenji,

I didnt mean it that way. Its true that parents wont go alongwith in the end but same is also true for the Singhni - wont go either.
The point i was making is that by nature women used to have lot of patience ( i mean more than the Singhs) so that helped the ODD situations survive and offcourse the Singhnis are winners in the end by saving their families.

If we go by Gurbani.

ਜਿਨ ਕੇ ਜਣੇ ਬਡੀਰੇ ਤੁਮ ਹਉ ਤਿਨ ਸਿਉ ਝਗਰਤ ਪਾਪ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

I also mentioned that its not only the fault with the Singhnis,but i think if the SINGH and SINGHNI can get together they can get along with this situation nicely (if Singhni can understand that anyhow Singh is with him etc so she can manage to ignore fe wlittle things which would offcourse be gone in some time).

On the other side it becomes real difficult for the Singhs to manage the situation as he has duties to his parents as well.I never said to compromise on Sikhi or Rehat for the parents infact the Singhs should nmake sure that he supports his wife enough if thats the point of conflict.

At the end - again , all i meant was i dont think it takes much away if normal small homely things can be ignored (offcourse that doesnt relate to Gurmat/Rehats) at the Singh Singhni side to keep the MAAN-MAryada of the paremts. Fore sure at last they turn back to you at any cost.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਮਾਤਾ ਪਿਤਾ ਬਿਨਾ ਤ੍ਰੀਮਤ ਦੀ ਪੈਰੀਂ ਪਵੈ ਸੋ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ
Bhai Chaupa SIngh Ji

As a modern Singh I would like to say It is wrong that your parents are acting like Manmukhs by revolting against religion but it is also wrong for you to turn your back on your parents who are dependent on you. I remember reading in a rehatnama by Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji in which Guru Sahib says " those people who do not serve there mothers are ungrateful and wont get mukhti" . Throughout birth and adolescents mothers raise and nurture us so its part of our lekht to return this kindness when they eventually become dependent. As a baby you were dependent on your mother for food and other necessities to save she did not turn her back on you- so why would you turn your back on her when she is indeed? Its part of hisab-kitab that parents raise us as children and we take care of them when they become senile and feeble ( weak).

1kaur Bhenji I dont know of any pangti that states man and women are eternal soul mates. This is a Christian concept which has no role in Gurmat. Whoever a person marries it is written from birth the same way it is written of whos womb we will come from. When husband and wife marry there is some debts that need to be paid off- debts are cleared through Naam Abhyiaas and living a Gurmat life dedicated to Gurmat- there is no need for soft attachments with spouse all we need to do is clear the debts/bonds

I think the pangti you mentioned Husband is referred to as Bhagat-Sangat and wife is referred to as Jagasoo Gurmukh ( spiritual seeker)
I also forgot to mention you are fortunate to have a Singhni who wants to live a Dharmic life. Since your Singhni has a Dharmic disposition it should not be difficult to convince her to tolerate your parents Manmukhi behavior. Above Veer Jis have made good suggestions ( Kirtan and Ardas)
ਮਃ ੩ ॥

ਧਨ ਪਿਰੁ ਏਹਿ ਨ ਆਖੀਅਨਿ ਬਹਨਿ ਇਕਠੇ ਹੋਇ ॥
They are not said to be husband and wife, who merely sit together.

ਏਕ ਜੋਤਿ ਦੁਇ ਮੂਰਤੀ ਧਨ ਪਿਰੁ ਕਹੀਐ ਸੋਇ ॥੩॥
They alone are called husband and wife, who have one light in two bodies. ||3||

Sukhdeep Singh Veer Ji, Bhein Ji is probably inspired by above Gurbani of Guru Amardass Ji.

For the original poster; I too have few words. The problem is everywhere as Gursewak Singh Ji tells us. Certainly; one has responsibilities for both towards parents as well as wife. You must take your wife into confidence. Sharing the same kitchen; especially when one wants Bibeki food and other not, is very difficult. It is very difficult to have same affection for the spouce's parents. You have love for parents, but she has to cultivate it for them. It is always a challenging job for new brides. So, husbands have to help in that. Feel free and bold to agree with your wife that your parents lack this or that aspect. Wife is supposed to be a soul mate, not parents. She have to agree with you, once she knows that you are not biased towards understanding her problems in the house. Parents are very helpful, once the children are there. She also needs them.

She has lost Chardi Kala in your house. It is your responsibility to maintain your Chardi Kala and help her feel happy, there.

Try to create easy light moments in the house. You are young & newly married.You have potential for that. Forget ideal life style, if it is difficult to achieve. Try to be simple.
thanks MB veerjee for clarifying my statement and posting the tuk. i just assumed everyone would know what i was talking about. smiling smiley

but i'm curious... how many unmarried singhs here are giving advice on how a married singhnee should behave? how can you even imagine what it's like to be a singhnee in the home of non-gurmukh parents?

a gurmukh singh's first duty is to his own jeevan... keep rehet, keep love for waheguru. his second duty is to keep his gurmukh wife with him on this. husband/wife are sangat for life. they cannot abandon the other spiritually because of attachment to parents who don't share their love of sikhi. and they cannot blame their parents' lack of sikhi on the gurmukh singhnee. do ardaas for the parents to join you in gursikhi lifestyle. they will not change unless maharaj wants them to change.

gursikhi jeevan must come first. guru sahib would never tell us to abandon our sikhi in order to care for a parent. guru arjan sahib said:

ਮਾਤਰ ਪਿਤਰ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਕੈ ਮਨੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਪਾਹਿ ਬੇਚਾਇਓ ॥
I have abandoned my mother and father, and sold my mind to the Saints.

clearly gurmukh sangat is essential. if that can be got from gurmukh singhnee, and not from parents, the decision becomes that much easier.

in the end, no one here can tell the original poster what to do.
all you can do is ardaas ardaas ardaas. take hukamnama from maharaj and see what he says. guru sahib is extremely direct in his answers if you are honest in your ardaas.
Thanks all - i think all are correct at their assumptions/theories etc etc.

The Panktis mentioned above assumes that the SINGHNI is a Saint.

So means that Singhni is a Saint , so for sure Bhenji, Singh should then forget his parents and then go with her Singhni but think on another angle. If the Singhni is really SAINT at this stage , should the conflicts have ever occurred ?? Cant Saints reach a stage where Singh has to reach a decision to choose one of 2 ?? I dont think so. If the partner is really saint she would have settled the things nicely with the OT ASRA of NAAAM and Bani. Again i repeat I dont suggest for as seond to compromise on the Rehats/Sikhi doesnt matter if its parents or Singhi - Ofccourse the choice has to be the one that helps keeping Sikhi. But beileve me if we are reall Sikhs our paremts wont be unhappy. I am 100% sure if there is still a conflicting situations we havent reached yet so at this stage I am not sure if we should choose the Path wrong.

Isnt this pankti more straighter HUKAM -- ਜਿਨ ਕੇ ਜਣੇ ਬਡੀਰੇ ਤੁਮ ਹਉ ਤਿਨ ਸਿਉ ਝਗਰਤ ਪਾਪ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Forget for Gurmat for a min - CAN a normal Person (having any values) can ever hurt a old person's feelings or direspect him for any cause (doesnt matter what) -- AGAIN I AM NOT counting the Gurmat compromises here and i dont think this problem is mostly related to Gurmat. The problem as i said is due to attachments where the SINGH is badly TIED UP.

Parents feel they lost their SON as they have been used to him for 20 + years and Wife feels that SINGH is now-on his.

But for sure its easy to talk and suggest but very very difficult to handle and manage - Only by Guru's Kirpa this can be hangled and managed.

On another note, i have seen parents coming back with help to kids (no matter what has happened) but very rarely i have seen Singhni bowing down if the situations have got wrost at earlier stage.

I fully agree Offcourse by nature men has always been really commanding nature which was Ok few hrs back but SINGHO it has to be left as well in order to have a good life (That patience is almost gone).

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
When picking sides, a Gurmukh picks the righteous side and this support is issue based. If in some issue parents are correct, then he takes parents' side and if his wife is correct in some issue, then he is on her side. A Gurmukh can't blindly side with anyone.

Kulbir Singh

The Panktis mentioned above assumes that the SINGHNI is a Saint.

No, Veer Ji, it is not so. This assumption is not necessary to get inspiration from this Gurbani, in this case. ਮਨੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਪਾਹਿ ਬੇਚਾਇਓ simply means THE PATH OF THE GURU. Saints are GURU OR THE GURSIKHS. Both husband and wife in the sikh learner case and all of us in general, have to rise above these relations of parenthood. TYAAG karna does not mean disrespect or dishonor to parents.
My mind is engrossed with my GURU and the GURSIKHS of the GURU or the GURSIKH way of life; it is not envolved with parents or children or wife or husband.
MB Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mind is engrossed with my GURU and the GURSIKHS
> of the GURU or the GURSIKH way of life; it is not
> envolved with parents or children or wife or
> husband.

Veer jee
I agree that we shud give rehit our top priority but at the same time, I dont think preferring present day gursikhs to parents is a smart deal. I will give a personal example.
I am seeking a ristha for the last few months and my parents want someone from Jatt background.(my parents arent amritdhari). I told this to an elderly singh who is very much respected in the jathaa. He started giving me lecture about jaat paat and told me to not listen to my parents.
Then I asked him that if I get separate from my parents, GIVE UP MY PROPERTY RIGHTS, haha will u give me ur daughter ??????, hahaha
Then this elderly person got quiet. He has married all his children in rich/NRI households.
Tomorrow if I get ill and need an operation which will cost 3 lakh rupees, not many gursikhs are going to come near me. On the other hand, my parents will do whatever possible to get me cured.
So in short, dont separate with ur parents and at the same time, make sure u dont give up ur gursikhi lifestyle.
Almost in all families, MIL(mother in law) and DIL(daughter in law) problems occur. The man in this situation should keep a balance and do full justice between the MIL and DIL. People need to follow and live by the Golden Rule. Here are some suggestions:

-A man should ideally treat his wife the way he would want his sister to be treated by her husband, this way he will never treat his wife badly.

-The MIL should treat her DIL the way she would want her own daughter to be treated by her MIL. This way the MIL would make an effort to not do bad on her part. You cannot treat another person's daughter badly while wanting your own daughter to be treated like a queen by her in laws.

-A DIL should be the kind of DIL she would want her own Bhabi(brother's wife) to be in her Pekay's house(her parents home), that way she will not be a bad DIL. Or, DIL should also think if she is being a bad DIL, then what kind of DIL will she expect to get when her own sons get married? aape beej, aape hi khayo

Sikh learner, you are the only son of your parents who are patients, it is your farz/duty to take care of them now at this stage in life. You should not escape this responsibility. When you were a child and could not take care of yourself, they did not abandon you no matter how badly you may have spoken to them. If you had another brother, then maybe the option to move out would have been there, but not when you are their only son. You need to have a serious discussion with your parents that you are a Gursikh and you have to follow a certain lifestyle. You need to talk to them about this matter politly yet firmly.
Harinder Singh Veer Ji, mind is a very smart entity. It can manage a lot, with the Kirpa of Satguru Ji.

ਸਾਰਗ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
ਐਸੀ ਹੋਇ ਪਰੀ ॥
This is my condition.
ਜਾਨਤੇ ਦਇਆਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Only my Merciful Lord knows it. ||1||Pause||
ਮਾਤਰ ਪਿਤਰ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਕੈ ਮਨੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਪਾਹਿ ਬੇਚਾਇਓ ॥ I have abandoned my mother and father, and sold my mind to the Saints.
ਜਾਤਿ ਜਨਮ ਕੁਲ ਖੋਈਐ ਹਉ ਗਾਵਉ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੀ ॥੧॥ I lost my social status, birth-right and ancestry; I sing the Glorious Praises.||1||
ਲੋਕ ਕੁਟੰਬ ਤੇ ਟੂਟੀਐ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਰੀ ॥ I have broken away from other people and family; I work only for God.
ਗੁਰਿ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਉਪਦੇਸਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੇਵਿ ਏਕ ਹਰੀ ॥੨॥੮॥੧੩੭॥ The Guru has taught me, O Nanak, to serve only the One Lord. ||2||8||137||

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
ਸਾਚਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗਾ ॥
ਲੋਗਨ ਸਿਉ ਮੇਰਾ ਠਾਠਾ ਬਾਗਾ ॥੧॥
ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੂਤੁ ਸਗਲ ਸਿਉ ਮਉਲਾ ॥
Outwardly, I am on good terms with all;
ਅਲਿਪਤੁ ਰਹਉ ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਉਲਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ but I remain detached, like the lotus upon the water. ||1||Pause||
ਮੁਖ ਕੀ ਬਾਤ ਸਗਲ ਸਿਉ ਕਰਤਾ ॥ By word of mouth, I talk with everyone;
ਜੀਅ ਸੰਗਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਧਰਤਾ ॥੨॥ but I keep God clasped to my heart. ||2||
ਦੀਸਿ ਆਵਤ ਹੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਭੀਹਾਲਾ ॥ I may appear utterly terrible,
ਸਗਲ ਚਰਨ ਕੀ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਲਾ ॥੩॥ but my mind is the dust of all men's feet.
ਨਾਨਕ ਜਨਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੩॥੫੪॥
ਕਦੇ ਸੋਚ ਦਾ ਹਾ, "ਜੇ ਸੱਸ ਬਹੁ ਨੂ ਧੀ ਮਨ ਲਵੇ, ਤੇ ਜੇ ਬਹੁ ਸੱਸ ਨੂ ਮਾਂ ਮਨ ਲਵੇ ", ਤਾ ਇਹ MIL&DIL ਦੀ ਮਹਾਭਾਰਤ ਕਦੇ ਹੀ ਨਾ ਹੋਵੇ ! smiling smiley

Chota veer
But certianly we can do this. If we decide that we all discussing this today will be nice parents to our Kakas and their Singhnis then atleast 10 odd Singhs and Singhnis can do Gurmat Kamai Peacefully So BOLO JAKKARAA AND promise.

Lets give this topic an end here and do ardass for the veer.

Bole So Nihaal Sat Sri Akal

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Chatrik Veer Ji, you are very much correct. It can happen, it should happen, especially with Gursikh families. But, it must be noted that mother in law, is also represented with a negative character in Gurbani.sad smiley
ਸਸੂ ਤੇ ਪਿਰਿ ਕੀਨੀ ਵਾਖਿ ॥
ਸਾਸੁ ਕੀ ਦੁਖੀ ਸਸੁਰ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜੇਠ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਡਰਉ ਰੇ ॥
ਦੇਵਰ ਜੇਠ ਮੁਏ ਦੁਖਿ ਸਸੂ ਕਾ ਡਰੁ ਕਿਸੁ ॥
ਸਸੁ ਵਿਰਾਇਣਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀਉ ਸਸੁਰਾ ਵਾਦੀ ਜੇਠੋ ਪਉ ਪਉ ਲੂਹੈ ॥
In the following case, it seems represent a normal relation.
ਸਸੁੜਿ ਸੁਹੀਆ ਕਿਵ ਕਰੀ ਨਿਵਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਥਣੀ ॥
In case of son in law, the relation seems to be different.
ਮਾਇ ਬਾਪ ਕੋ ਬੇਟਾ ਨੀਕਾ ਸਸੁਰੈ ਚਤੁਰੁ ਜਵਾਈ ॥

In the following case, it seems represent a normal relation.

MB Singh jeeo, In the above Pankiti, the relationship is not normal but the Nuh (daughter-in-law) is presented in bad light. She is saying to her friend that she can't bow to her mother-in-law because of her Haume for her beauty. She can't do ਨਿਵਣੁ because of ਥਣੀ. ਥਣੀ represents her beauty. She is proud of her Husan (beauty) and knows that her husband is under her spell because of her Husan; therefore she feels she has no need to bow to her mother-in-law.

In response to her such Haume-filled statement, her friend gives her the advice as follows:

ਗਚੁ ਜਿ ਲਗਾ ਗਿੜਵੜੀ ਸਖੀਏ ਧਉਲਹਰੀ ॥ ਸੇ ਭੀ ਢਹਦੇ ਡਿਠੁ ਮੈ ਮੁੰਧ ਨ ਗਰਬੁ ਥਣੀ ॥੧॥
O Mundh (such young girl who looks attractive because of her innocence)I have even seen tall cemented palaces falling, so don't do Haume (ego, pride) for your beauty.

Kulbir Singh
Veer Merhban Singh Ji I too was referring to the Gurbani tuks you posted- I dont think Guru Sahib is saying Man and Husband are eternal soul mates as some people might think.
Guru Sahib says not to be attached to anybody so I dont think wife is an exception. In the old days Hindu Women had this mentality - they would treat their Husband as though he is God. When he did they do would jump in the fire when their husband was being burned ( sati). This was complete manamat to be so attached to ones spouse . Guru Amar Das completely banned this practice in the Sikh Panth and strongly advised widows to get re-married. So if Man and Wife are eternal soul-mates what makes the new Husband or Wife? The concept of eternal soul mates is a Western concept and has no place in SIkhi. For this reason the pangti cant be referring to Husband and Wife- instead it is referring to Bhagat-Sangat and the Jagasoo Gurmukh.

Im not saying one should neglect ones spouse. Instead one should treat ones spouse , parents , and everyone around as they are an atma on the path to Parmatma. Husband and Wife should view themselves as souls. There is no need for these false attachments to ones parents or spouse. I have seen some Singhhis and Singhs way too attached to each other. They call each other " honey", " babe" "love" and get all hubby dubby with one another. Its quite to see a Singh in this state when in reality they should be living like warriors. I couldnt imagine Shaheed Bhai Mani Ji calling his SInghni as " honey".

Guru Sahib has given us a method in which we can fulfill family responsibilities and make high spiritual strides, but through attachment spiritual progress is not possible. The Singh is going to go through some major anxiety if he chooses to be attached to one family member over another. His relation with his wife is no different then his relation with his parents there is some giving and taking in both relationships.
Thats true. For a sikh, its ONLY GURU. Guru is our EVERYTHING. Everything else is secondary. If we read our itihaas, the challi muktaas were gives bangles by their singhnees as they had abondoned their Guru. It was only after this that challi mutkaas got their faith back and returned to give Shaheedi.

I dont think Guru Sahib is saying Man and Husband are eternal soul mates as some people might think.

so what do you think "ik jot" means? confused smiley

sukhdeep veerjee, are you married? if not, please refrain from criticizing the behavior of married singhs. let yourself experience marriage before condemning others for enjoying it. guru sahib blessed us with the life of a householder, why not enjoy that blessing?

in my "modern" opinion this question shouldn't be about MIL vs DIL. this question is about gursikhi jeevan vs one who is uninterested in sikhi. why is everyone looking at it from a cultural/worldly family point of view? it seems to me that this should be taken from a sikhi point of view, and surely gursikhi is more important than the maya of attachment to parents.

Sukhdeep Singh Veer Ji writes----------------

His relation with his wife is no different then his relation with his parents

Veer Ji, I think we need a separate thread for that. It seems to be a very wide subject.

Thank you Veer Kulbir Singh Ji, for explaining the Gurbani Pankiti. Veer Gursewak Singh has already shouted the Jaikara here.

Sat Sri Akal.
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont think Guru Sahib is saying Man and Husband
> are eternal soul mates as some people might
> think.
>
> so what do you think "ik jot" means? confused smiley
>
> sukhdeep veerjee, are you married? if not, please
> refrain from criticizing the behavior of married
> singhs. let yourself experience marriage before
> condemning others for enjoying it. guru sahib
> blessed us with the life of a householder, why not
> enjoy that blessing?
>
>
> in my "modern" opinion this question shouldn't be
> about MIL vs DIL. this question is about gursikhi
> jeevan vs one who is uninterested in sikhi. why
> is everyone looking at it from a cultural/worldly
> family point of view? it seems to me that this
> should be taken from a sikhi point of view, and
> surely gursikhi is more important than the maya of
> attachment to parents.

I have visited retirement homes and I have seen the residents who suffer extremely from emotional pain. I wouldnt want any person to go through such pain even if they are a Manmukh. Its not polite to advise someone to renounce their dependent- parents even if the parents are manmukhs. They are still people with souls and feelings.

I have never once said renounced Grishti Jeevan. I think we differ in our understanding of what Grishti Jeevan is. My understanding of Grishti Jeevan is not limited to Husband and Wife instead it extends to parents, siblings, spouse, friends, etc. Guru Sahib never said renounce our family or our responsibilities, instead Guru Sahib said renounce the Panj Doot . Lets not forget ATTACHMENT is part of the Panj Doot.

Guru Sahib has showed us through example that we cannot force our beliefs on other family members or renounce them if they dont accept our beliefs. Guru Sahibs father was a disbeliever yet Guru Sahib did not renounce his parents. Guru Sahibs son Sri Baba Chand was an ungrateful son yet Guru Sahib still gave him pyaar and did not renounce him; instead the ungrateful son renounced his father and started his own cult.

I think its unfair to say I shouldnt give my input on Grishti Jeevan because I have chosen not to be married at this time. I dont like to talk about my personal life but since you have questioned my experience with Grishti Jeevan in trying to relate to the origianl poster I will narrate my own experience which I believe is not that much different then the original poster.

I do not come from a Gurmat Household. I was raised in the typical Manmukhi household in the house there was alcohol, meat, constantly watching Manmat T.V. shows, etc. As a mona I myself use to engage in these Manmukhi activities.Fortunately, my paternal grandfather was Dharmic person but because he was uneducated he could not teach me or the other siblings about Sikhi. Never the less he would recite Mool Mantar all day long in the midst of all these manmukhi activities. Eventually this paath had an impact on me and my brother. We eventually kept our Kesh. I first kept my kesh for non- religious reasons, but through the example of my Grandfather I decided I wanted to live a simple religious life like my grandfather who seemed to be unaffected by Maya. Shorty after I kept my kesh for religious reasons my grandfather passed away while visiting family in the UK. When I went to the funeral in the UK I decided to live in England for awhile because I really liked the popularity of Sikhi in this place. My parents convinced me to move back to the U.S.. Upon arriving I was quite sad living in a Manmukhi household. A household without a Gursikh is a cursed house full of Ghost. As a KeshDhari I was not making any progression in this household. Me and my brother decided to renounce this manmukhi household. We were both going to move to the UK despite knowing this is not what our parents would want. Our parents convinced us and told us not to move to the UK , but instead move to a place in Califorina that was more Gursikhi orientated.

With the support of our parents we decided to move to Fremont, California. Which has a truly blessed Gurdwara Sahib because it has Amrit Vela naam Simran 7 days a week, and Nitnem , Sukhmani Sahib, Asa Di Var, Kirtan seven days a week. Living in Fremont for 2 years was the best years of my life. I lived a simple life. I had an easy job where I only want to work twice a week. I had the leisure time to spend most of my time doing paath. I lived within walking distance of the Gurdwara. Eventually Singhs moved in with us, and I was having sangat in which I can learn more about Sikhi. It was during this period that I was blessed with Amrit. I was living a very happy life but my parents were not so happy. I noticed my mom did not seem happy that both of her sons were living far from her. I felt like I was being ungrateful to the person who raised me and took care of me as a child. Inside I felt like I was not pleasing Guru Sahib my renouncing my biological family. Eventually both me and my brother moved back with our parents in a city where Sikhi is non-existent.

When moving back my parents agreed not to have meat and alcohol in the house. There was many arguments over religious issues especially Bibek. My dad would say he doesnt respect me or my Bahman beliefs. He would also call me a crazy fanatic. All this anger was creating negative energy in the household.He also started to cook egg in the house, but eventually stopped after my brother told him too. We still have or ups and down but with Guru Sahibs kirpa there have been much changes. My parents dont watch as much TV, they dont bring meat/egg or alcohol in the house. They listen to kirtan and paath in the morning, and my dad gets up for Amrit Vela every day to recite JapJi Sahib. Gurbani has the power to change the environment if we have faith. On a personal level I have become much stronger in my Sikhi through this experience has made me more firm in my Sikh beliefs. Through discomfort or any suffering I turn to God . Sikhi is all about
ਮਨ ਸੁਧ ਰਖੈ, ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਹਰੈ

As Sikh we dont have desire for comfort/happiness nor do we try to avoid suffering/discomfort we accept them as they come. Guru Sahib says through this suffering we get the remedy ( Naam Abyiaas) Dukh Daroo Sukh Rog Bhayaa Ja Sukh Taam Na Hoyee.

In regards to Ek Jot- I believe Ek Jot simply means one light. Gursikhi is the path of Non- Duality. There is no mine and yours. There is simply Tuhi Tuhi Tuhi ( God). Having said that there is no such thing as my wife my husband my children. etc We came in this world alone we will leave this world alone. There is no such a thing as union of lights ( jots) between husband and wife- this seems like Hari Krishan Yoga philosophy to me. Instead in Gurmat the union is between us ( the widowed souls) and our true family who wait in the Kings palace singing songs of joy and waiting for the day that they will embrace us with uplifting joy. This does not mean we share a special bond with spouse. We should regard spouse as an atma who independent from us- who has a Jeevan and whose goal is to go back home. We left home alone, and we will go back home alone. Only the Bhagat Sangat can accompany us to the next world- no family or friends can do this. For this reason Bhagat Sangat is our true friends our true spouse.

In regards to Ek Jot- I believe Ek Jot simply means one light. Gursikhi is the path of Non- Duality. There is no mine and yours. There is simply Tuhi Tuhi Tuhi ( God). Having said that there is no such thing as my wife my husband my children.

ok, so please explain this shabad, because the translation is clearly wrong, as is every single gurmukh who has explained this to me. i look forward to being enlightened by a great sikhi scholar such as yourself.

ਮਃ ੩ ॥
Third Mehl:

They are not said to be husband and wife, who merely sit together.

ਏਕ ਜੋਤਿ ਦੁਇ ਮੂਰਤੀ ਧਨ ਪਿਰੁ ਕਹੀਐ ਸੋਇ ॥੩॥
They alone are called husband and wife, who have one light in two bodies. ||3||

thanks for sharing your personal story. however, my advice still stands. until you are married, please refrain from criticizing the marital behavior of singhs. as long as they're following rehet and gursikhi, why on earth do you care that they speak sweetly to their wife? would it be better for them to be harsh than loving? seriously, you have absolutely no idea what it's like to be married. being harsh for no reason is NOT the key to a successful marriage!

your spouse is your sangat, through thick and thin, no matter where you are, what your troubles... your spouse is always there to share simran, paath, and help you keep your rehet, your bibek. why spoil that just to appear more "warrior" like? give me a break.

not being raised in a punjabi household, i don't have the same cultural attachments to parents, nor do my parents have the same cultural attachment to me. or maybe it's just that i'm a girl and only sons matter (that's how it works in punjab, right?) either way, i left home at 18 and my parents are doing just fine without me. i have no idea how i'd survive in their house of alcohol, meat, and atheism. and i have no intention of finding out. so yeah, i have a different perspective. and yeah, it bugs me when people mix sikhi and punjabi culture. sikhi is what we need to focus on. we need to extricate ourselves from the sea of manmat that is punjabi culture. guru sahib spoke against prominent punjabi traditions like the murder of girl children, and yet so-called "sikhs" all over the world continue this horrible tradition. why? why is the pull of punjabiyat so much stronger than the pull of sikhi?

and why does a question about gursikhi jeevan turn into a slew of posts about how ungrateful daughters in law are? especially when it's a gursikh DIL we're talking about, someone the posters here don't even know???
(FYI- my mother in law and i get on famously, despite the fact that i'm from a different culture. do you know why? because she's a gursikh. and because she's exceptionally sweet. smiling smiley )

in the end, sikhi trumps (non-gursikh) family. period. everything else is just cultural baggage. ask bhai jeevan singh jee about his sons if you want to learn more on the subject.

the pangti above I have already explained my understanding of it twice. I feel no reason to explain it again.

Im sorry if you find my post offensive, and Im sorry if you are under the impression I am talking down on marriage life. Marriage life is a blessing from Guru Sahib I would never talk down on it. I only talk down on titles like " Babe" which are more suitable for couples of Kaam then suitable for respectful Gursikh couples. Marriage should be about respect and decency; one can refer to their spouse with a respectful name like Ji, etc instead of " Babe" . Within the confines of their own household they can call each other whatever they want but they should it least have enough decency not to use these pet names around the sangat.

I have nothing else to say on this thread.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.