ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kirtan sohila and night shifts

Posted by singh12345 
I heard a sakhi about how kirtan sohila creates and imaginary fence around you when you do it and it should only be done before sleeping.
But, what about someone that goes to night shifts.
for ex. 10 to 6. when would you do kirtan sohila. not at 10 because you're not going to sleep and not at 6 either because you might want to come back from work, do isnaan and do nitnem. But, then when to do kirtan sohilaa. Maybe replacement baani ex. choupai sahib????
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I personally believe that in case a Gursikh is working at night, Sohila Sahib should still be done sometime at night. It is not appropriate to defer it to next morning at the time one is going to sleep. Nitnem is a Farz (compulsory duty) that cannot be deferred. Maybe do it at your first break and close your eyes till end of the break, as if sleeping, if not sleeping.

Guru Sahib knows better and a how Guru Sahib will judge us would depend a lot on what our intentions were.

Kulbir Singh
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I had thought that Sohila Sahib was to be recited before going to sleep. What that stipulation, it would seem independent of time constraints (just that most people sleep at night, so it became a "night Bani"). SGPC published Rehat Maryada does not stipulate time, just the Banis to recite. Taksal Maryada is online and the english translation states that Sohila Sahib is for before sleep, no time stipulated. No published AKJ Maryada to reference, nor Nanaksar, nor Nihungs and other Jathebandis.

On an unrelated note, I have seen that at many late programs, Sukhasan seva is done with Chaupai Sahib paath instead of Sohila Sahib (any program extending beyond 12 AM). Could someone enlighten on that Maryada as well.

Sorry for the thread-jacking. confused smiley
every rehet maryada i have read says to recite sohila (and salok "pavan guru pani pita") before sleep.

but then, i'd also do panj bani nitnem upon waking, rather than before sleeping. jaap sahib kind of wakes me up a bit. smiling smiley
Similar is the situation when we go for Rein Sabhai programme. If Veer Ji goes to job at 10 PM; why not do Kirtan Sohila just before that. May be with Rehras Sahib. May be as Kulbiir Singh Veer Ji suggests during break. It should not be a big decision. Do do it.

Ha Ha, I remember one Gurpurwasi Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji poularly known as Warian Wale Baba Ji. He lived in Amritsar. He was only sikh in his family. A very humourous Baba Ji. He told us that I do my Rehras Sahib and Kirtan Sohila, with Nitnem in the morning. May be one does not find opportunity to do it, later in the day. sad smiley

That Baba Ji, used to prepare Mango and other Pickles for the Sangat, with great fervour. Also sweet big PINNIAN. Everybody loved his humourous nature. Once he told one old lady that; ""Hi, where were you in the Rein Sabhai? (That was Bangla Sahib Rein Sabhai programme in Delhi, during Dusshera) Did not you receive the Big Blanket ? I received one. See that, I have one. They distributed these to everybody after Rein Sabhai.""

Ha Ha, the old lady was busy asking everybody to confirm that. She was worried, she did not receive one. smiling bouncing smiley
A Gursikh told me that Nitnem of 7 Banian should be completed within the 8 Pehar of the day (i.e. within the 24 hours of the day).

In regards to Sohila Sahib.

From the vichaar from elder Gursikhs they told Daas that Sohilaa Sahib is intended to be recited before going to sleep (i.e. the main sleep you have). If you having a quick nap or rest you are not required to do Sohila Sahib but before one's main sleep (which is usually at night time or early hours if one has attended a Rainsbaaee).

In situations where one is travelling all night and staying awake, attending a rainsbaaee or being at work, I was told that you can recite Sohila Sahib da Paath with Rehraas Sahib da Paatth (there is no timing fixed). But Sohilaa Sahib must (as the Gursikhs stressed) be recited before one's main sleep also. Therefore, you can recite it twice.

I know some Gursikhs just do Sohilaa Sahib before their main sleep (whenever that is) and others will do it before midnight and if they know in advance they will be awake during night they will do it with their Rehraas Sahib or take time out to recite it and do Ardaas (in which one prays for the blessing of being able to do Amrit-velaa).

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
Being a student in college, it's hard for many ppl to stay on a sleep schedule..
for many years, i'd go to sleep after midnight, and it totally slipped my mind that i shld do sohila sahib..
cuz it wld be amritvela time, not "night". and always hesitated to sohila sahib cuz it was "amritvela"
until i asked several ppl, family and friends...and i was told that sohila sahib isn't restricted to time...
just to do it before sleeping..anytime... cuz the imaginary fence cant only be for night time..
its to protect us while we're asleep.. any time of day/night..

i was also told, that since NITnem is our daily nem, that we must not forget to do it daily also..
because what if someone doesn't sleep for several days?
so before midnight strikes, whenever time allows, sit down and complete sohila sahib as 'NITNEM'
and go back to whtever u gotta do.

however, i find the second suggestion a big confusing. i agree with the nitnem part, but
if we're goin to sleep..why read sohila sahib then? or, if we do abide by the nitnem rules, then
does the fence still stay while we're awake?
excellent veechara on this topic

is it not ok, lets say going to a a ransbhai

rainsbhai finsihes at 6am, to do your sohila, and then after that do your nitnem?

oddslot
I am in strong agreement that 7 Banis Nitnem must be completed within 24 hour period of 0000-0000 regardless of activities, rainsabaye, work, college, sleeping/not sleeping etc.

For attending rainsabaye keertan, before going, along with Sri Rehraas Sahib one can recite Sri Sohila Sahib. Sit in Keertan, after smapti in the next Amritvela one can then do 5 Banis morning Nitnem.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Well, since we are throwing around options, I'll throw one in:

Post Rehansabai/late program/late (into early morning) Gurmat Smagam.:

At the conclusion, go home, do Ishnan, do Simran (as much as you can - some of us here are manmukhs and dead tired when getting home, especially after hours of driving - barely) and Amritvela Nitnem Banian (Guru Sahib's Guru Satgur Ka Jo Sikh Akhaiyae Shabad mentions waking up at Amritvela, doing Simran, Ishnan, and then Nitnem. As one is awake the entire night, one has fulfilled the being awake at Amritvela. Simran - at least in Rehansabais - happens throughout the night to morning anyways. So what is left is Ishnan and Morning Nitnem). Then, when finished, do Sohila Sahib paath and pass out (in compliance with Rehat Maryada that says to do it before you sleep).

I don't know...works for me. I have heard many good Gursikhs mention that one can do Nitnem later after taking a rest or that since one is awake the entire night and never slept, the day was never really over or began, etc. Whatever works for you and is in compliance with Gurmat Maryada and Gurbani. And Sikhs in Rehansabais are probably not the only ones who face this challenge. There are sakhis of Gursikhs who sat through entire Akhand Paath Sahibs and did not move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login