ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

real way to say name of 8th Guru Sahibaan

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
Is it Harkishan? Harkrishan? Harikishan? Harikrishan?

I always say "HarKishan", and thats what I found in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji on the website [www.sridasam.org]

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਸ਼ਨ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਜਿਸ ਡਿਠੇ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
स्री हरि किशन धिआईऐ जिस डिठे सभि दुखि जाइ ॥
(After them) I remember Guru Har Kishan, by whose sight all the sufferings vanish.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
In my humble opinion, You are correct Bhai Mehtab Singh jee. Our 8th Guru Sahib's Shubh-Naam is Guru Siri Harkishan Sahib jee, "Siri" being part of the name.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
dhannvaad veerji
both the SGPC approved ardaas and the signs at gurdwara bangla sahib say ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨ.

are they wrong?

If according to Dasam Granth the paath is "Sri Harkishan" and the sign outside Bangla Sahib or the Ardaas printed by SGPC says "Sri Harkrishan" then we have to go with the source document i.e. Dasam Granth which says "Sri Harkishan".

Kulbir Singh
I was under the impression that Guru Har Krishan Ji's name was after his parents: Guru Har Rai Ji and Mata Kishan Ji but in Gur Parnaliyan the name appears as Har Krishan. I have not read anywhere "Sri" being part of the name. What is the source?
i wonder how it got changed from "sri harkishan" to "sri harkrishan"? i wonder if it varies between birs of dasam granth sahib? i only have access to the online version, so can't compare, but this is quite interesting.

i just looked through some gutkae, and besides the SGPC gutka, i found that damdami taksal, bhai mani singh taksal, master jaswant singh jee gutkae and hazoori das granthi all say "sri harkrishan" in the ardaas.

this has me quite curious as to how it got changed. smiling smiley
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Besides the Sri Harkrishan (Sasha with Rara) or Sri HarKishan (Sasha without Rara) I do not think this will make any difference to pronunciation because we always say Sri Harkrishan jee, Daas never heard any one saying Sri SriHarkrishan jee. So regardless Sri is part of name or not it is always pronounced. Second thing is the Dohra of Dasam Granth can not be solely used to say it is SriHarkrishan because Dasam Patshah also used Sri before HarRai Jee. If we analyze further names of nine Gurus appears this way:

“Guru Nanak”
“Angad”
“Guru Amardaas”
“Ramdaas”
“Arjun”
“HarGobind”
“Sri HarRai”
“Sri HarKrishan”
“Teg Bhadur”

In this Dohra first and last names of Gurus did not appear consistently. For example for Guru Nanak Dev Jee it as written as Guru Nanak that does not means Guru Sahib’s name was Guru Nanak, there name was Nanak Dev but status was Guru. Which means Guru here means an adjective. For Guru Angad Dev Jee only “Angad” is mentioned no adjective as Guru and no last name too. Again for Guru AmarDaas Jee Guru an adjective is there. For Guru Arjan Dev Jee no adjective no last name. For Guru HarRai Jee as a respect Sri is used or is it is part of name? Similarly I think for Guru HarKrishan Jee Sri may be the sign of respect not part of name. In last Guru Teg Bhadur Jee’s full name is there but no adjective unlike “Guru Amardaas” jee.

So, there is no clear pattern in this Dohra which can conclude that 8th Guru Sahib’s name should SriHarkrishan Jee. I think extensive research is required with all different sources to conclude this and also between Harkrishan and Harkishan.

Till then ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਜਿਸ ਡਿਠੇ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖਿ ਜਾਇ ॥

With Regards,
Daas
Personally I think it seems to be another case of the letter R missing like we have missing in Bhagat Dhrus name in Sri Jap Ji Sahib; instead of Dhroo his name is written as Dhoo.
I had read somewhere that "Siri" is part of Guru Sahib's name but in the light of the posts posted above, it seems there is not a convincing proof that "Siri" is part of Guru Sahib's name.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh
Khalsa jee, has anyone considered that the SriDasam.org website may be showing a typo or technical error in not displaying the "pair de vich rarraa". This can sometimes happen with online banis because of technicalities.
haha hanji manvir singh that can be the case

daas has always pronounced it sri harkrishan/harkrisan

perhaps if we can darshan of puratan saroops of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib, we can tell, but as Sukhdeep Singh Veerjee said, it may just be maharaj jee's choice(or as he said the letter r missing)

does anyone have access to puratan beerhs os sri dasam granth sahib?

oddslot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login