ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmat and Jogmat (Yoga)

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Gurmat and Jogmat (Yoga)
July 09, 2010 01:12PM
It is quite alarming to see that many Sikhs and even many Rehitvaan Gursikhs subscribe to Yoga and practice it. They place faith and belief in the efficacy of Yoga to cure their diseases and maintain their health but often lack the same faith and devotion for Gurbani and Naam. Can't Naam and Gurbani maintain one's health and drive away diseases? If the answer is yes, then why subscribe to Raamdev's Yoga for health issues?

One person who practices Raamdev's breathing exercises, told me that the Yogic breathing exercises are very similar to Saas-Giraasi Naam Abhyaas. I was surprised to hear this. He further said that the only thing different is the word they use while inhaling and exhaling. I replied to him that the whole Shakti or power is of the Guru's divine Shabad and not in breathing in and out. The main thing is Naam. Even Buddhists practice some kind of breathing exercises when they meditate. Are we going to say that they can attain Vaheguru through this?

The following Shabad comes to mind:

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
ਙੰਙਾ ਖਟੁ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਹੋਇ ਙਿਆਤਾ ॥
ਪੂਰਕੁ ਕੁੰਭਕ ਰੇਚਕ ਕਰਮਾਤਾ ॥
ਙਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਤੀਰਥ ਇਸਨਾਨੀ ॥
ਸੋਮਪਾਕ ਅਪਰਸ ਉਦਿਆਨੀ ॥
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਹੇਤਾ ॥
ਜੋ ਕਛੁ ਕੀਨੋ ਸੋਊ ਅਨੇਤਾ ॥
ਉਆ ਤੇ ਊਤਮੁ ਗਨਉ ਚੰਡਾਲਾ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਹ ਮਨਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਗੁਪਾਲਾ ॥੧੬॥

The second Pankiti above talks about the Pranayaam of Yogis that is getting so popular in Sikhs. Guru Sahib has outright rejected all Yogic practices and instead declared the supremacy of Gurmat of all other Matts. Pranayaam includes breathing in, holding the breath and breathing out. These three acts are called:

ਪੂਰਕੁ - Brjeathing in as per Pranayaam.
ਕੁੰਭਕ - Holding the Swaas insided as per Pranayaam.
ਰੇਚਕ - Breathing out as per Pranayaam.

Guru Sahib is saying that if one does greatest religious rituals and Karma but does not chant the true Naam, then all such actions are a waste of time. Below is the detailed Vichaar on the Pauri stated above:

1. Through the letter ਙੰਙਾ, Siri Guru jee gives us the lesson that if one has the knowledge of 6 Shastras namely Saankh, Niyaaye, Visheshik, Mimaasa, Yog and Vedant;

2. If one does Pranayaam actions of ਪੂਰਕੁ, ਕੁੰਭਕ and ਰੇਚਕ (breathing in, holding the breath in, and breathing out according to Pranayaam) and is otherwise practitioner of many religious Karma;

3. If one attains many kinds of knowledges, does many kinds of meditations and bathes at many holy places;

4. If one becomes such a dietary Bibeki who only eats from his own hands (ਸੋਮਪਾਕ), doesn't let anyone touch him nor touches anyone or any thing of Maya, and stays away from cities and inside the jungles;

5 and 6. But if such person does not develop Love with all-pervading Lord's Naam; then consider all his religious actions (described before) as useless or worthless.

7 and 8. Consider a Chandaal (a person of low caste employed in doing extremely low occupation) superior to such person provided this Chandaal has Gopal Vaheguru residing in his heart.

Guru Sahib has clearly rejected all other means but Naam. The rejection of Yogmat has been done through many Shabad in Raag Ramkali and in Sidh-Gosht, Siri Guru jee has totally rejected Yogic practices. I don't understand why Sikhs still can't help following Yoga. Why do they place more faith in curing powers of Raamdev's Yoga than in the curing power of Gurbani? All that can be said is that such people are extremely unfortunate and are like such a prince who goes begging at the houses of ordinary landlords when his father is a grand king.

Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurmat and Jogmat (Yoga)
July 09, 2010 02:19PM
thanks bhai sahib for putting this up

a question comes to mind, who was yogi bhajan?

oddslot
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ।
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ॥

ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀਉ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਇੱਕ ਚੰਗਾ ਵਿਸ਼ਾ ਛੂਹਿਆ ਹੈ। ਪਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਿਉਂ ਚੰਗੇ ਭਲੇ ਸਿੱਖਾਂ, ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਕੀ ਹੋਈ ਜਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਅਨਮਤੀਏ ਮਗਰ ਲੱਗ ਨਾਮ ਰੂਪੀ ਸੰਜੀਵਣੀ ਦੀ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਦੂਰ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਨੇ। ਦਾਸ ਯੋਗੀ ਰਾਮਦੇਵ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਛੁਟਆਉਣ ਖਾਤਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਿਖ ਰਿਹਾ ਉਹ ਕਾਫੀ ਚੰਗਾ ਕਾਰਜ ਵੀ ਕਰ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜੋ ਹਿੰਦੂਸਤਾਨੀਆਂ ਨੇ ਆਧੁਨਿਕਤਾ ਜਾਂ ਪੱਛਮੀ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ਹੇਠ ਕਬੂਲੇ ਬੇਤੁਕੇ ਲਾਈਫ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਦੀ ਪਰਛਾਈਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਚਾਉਣ ਦਾ ਯਤਨ ਕਰ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਪਰ ਹੈਰਾਨੀ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਘਰ ਦੇ ਛੈਲ ਛਬੀਲੇ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖਾ ਤੇ ਹੋ ਰਹੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ “ਸਰਬ ਰੋਗ ਕਾ ਅਉਖਦੁ ਨਾਮੁ ॥” ਤਥਾ “ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਅਖ੍ਹਓ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ॥” ਸਤਿਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਦੇ ਤੁੱਲ ਹੋਰ ਸਭ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਤੁੱਛ ਹਨ। ਇਹ ਠੀਕ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੋਂ ਘੁੱਥੇ ਹੋਏ ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਪ੍ਰਣਾਯਮ ਜਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਸਰੀਰ ਸਵਸਥ ਰੱਖਣ ਲਈ ਕਿਸੇ ਆਨਮਤੀਏ ਮਗਰ ਲਗ ਕੇ ਕਰਦੇ ਫਿਰਨ ਤਾਂ ਫਿਰਨ ਪਰ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਜੋਗੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਉਤਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਗੁਰਮੰਤਰ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ ਜੀਹਦੇ ਰਟਣ ਪਰ ਵੱਡੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਸਰੀਰਕ ਰੋਗਾਂ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ ਤਾਂ ਦੂਰ ਦੀ ਗੱਲ ਮਾਨਸਿਕ ਰੋਗ ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਕਿ ਵੱਧ ਖਤਰਨਾਕ ਹਨ।

ਜਿਸ ਸਤਿਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਰਟਣ ਪਰ ਭਾਈ ਮਨੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਬੰਦ ਬੰਦ ਕਟਵਾ ਲਏ, ਭਾਈ ਦਿਆਲਾ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਉਬਲਦੀ ਦੇਗ ਵਿਚ ਉਬਾਲੇ ਖਾਧੇ, ਭਾਈ ਮਤੀ ਦਾਸ ਨੇ ਸਰੀਰ ਆਰੇ ਨਾਲ ਚਿਰਵਾ ਲਿਆ ਹੋਰ ਤਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਜਿਸ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਯੋਗ ਸਦਕਾ ਬਾਬਾ ਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਸਰੀਰੋਂ ਲੱਥੇ ਹੋਏ ਸਿਰ ਨੂੰ ਤਲੀ ਤੇ ਰੱਖ ਕੇ ਰਣ ਤੱਤੇ ਵਿਚ ਜੂਝੇ, ਮਾਤਾਵਾਂ ਨੇ ਨਿੱਕੇ ਨਿੱਕੇ ਬੱਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਟੇਕ ਤੇ ਹੀ ਨੇਜਿਆਂ ਤੇ ਟੰਗਵਾ ਲਏ ਫਿਰ ਉਪਰੋਂ ਇਹ ਹੀ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਰੱਖੀ ਕਿ “ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਣਾ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਾਗੈ” ਤਾਂ ਭਲਿਉ ਸਿੱਖੋ ਦਾਸ ਨੂੰ ਬੱਸ ਇਕ ਗੱਲ ਦਾ ਜਵਾਬ ਦਿਉ ਜੇ ਤਾਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਆਨਮਤੀਏ ਯੋਗੀ ਨੇ ਸਰੀਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਇਹ ਕਾਰਨਮੇ ਕਰ ਵਿਖਾਏ ਹੋਣ ਤਾਂ ਤਾਂ ਦਾਸ ਆਪਜੀ ਹੀ ਹਰ ਗੱਲ ਮੰਨਣ ਨੂੰ ਤਿਆਰ ਹੈ ਨਹੀਂ ਤਾਂ ਛੱਡੋ ਪਰੇ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਅਧੂਰੇ ਅਭਿਆਸਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਉਂ ਪਿੱਤਲ ਦੀ ਚਮਕ ਮਗਰ ਲੱਗ ਹੱਥੀਂ ਆਇਆ ਸੋਨਾ ਗਵਾਈ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਹੋ ਜਾਗੋ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖੋ ਆਪਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ--ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿਕ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ਾਹੇ ਸ਼ਾਹਿਨ ਸ਼ਾਹ, ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹ ਦਰਵੇਸ਼ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਵਾਰਸ ਹਾਂ। ਸਾਡੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਵਡੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਦਿਆਲਾ ਜੀ ਤੋਂ ਲੈ ਕਰਕੇ ਅਜੋਕੇ ਸਿੰਘਾ ਸਿੰਘਣੀਆਂ ਤੱਕ ਸਵਾਏ ਗੁਰੂ ਘਰ ਤੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਤੋਂ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਓਟ ਲਈ। ਆਨਮਤੀ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਕਰਕੇ ਆਪਾਂ ਕਿਉਂ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਨੂੰ ਲਾਜ ਲਾਈਏ:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ॥੬੯॥ (ਪੰਨਾ 946)

ਦੇਖੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਜੋਗੀ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਕਮਾਲ ਦੀ ਗੱਲ ਕਹੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ “ਜੁਗਤਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ”। ਆਪਾ ਕਿਉਂ ਮਿਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਸੱਚੀ ਜੁਗਤ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਆਨਮਤੀ ਜੁਗਤ ਮਗਰ ਤੁਰੇ ਫਿਰੀਏ। ਫਿਰ ਓਹੀ ਧੋਬੀ ਦੇ ਕੁੱਤੇ ਵਾਲੀ ਹਾਲਤ ਕਿਤੇ ਸਾਡੀ ਹੀ ਨਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਵੋ। ਆਉ ਭਾਈ ਜਾਗੀਏ, ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ ਜੀ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਯੋਗੀ ਦਾ ਕਿਆ ਖੂਬ ਚਿੱਤਰ ਪੇਸ਼ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ:

ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਜੋਗੀ ਜਾਗਦੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਉਦਾਸੀ॥
ਕੰਨੀਂ ਮੁੰਦਰਾਂ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਗੁਰ ਸੰਤਾਂ ਧੂੜਿ ਬਿਭੂਤ ਸੁ ਲਾਸੀ॥
ਖਿੰਥਾ ਖਿਮਾ ਹੰਢਾਵਣੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਤ੍ਰ ਭਾਉ ਭੁਗਤਿ ਬਿਲਾਸੀ॥
ਸਬਦ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਿੰਙੀ ਵਜੈ ਡੰਡਾ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਦਾਸੀ॥
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਗੁਫੈ ਬਹਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਅਗਾਧਿ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ॥
ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗ ਅਰੋਗ ਹੋਇ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗ ਖਲਾਸੀ॥
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਬਾਸੀ ॥15॥

ਦਾਸ ਦੀ ਆਪ ਸਭ ਸੰਗਤਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਜੋਦੜੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਆਪ ਦਾਸ ਨੂੰ ਵੀ ਕੰਨੋਂ ਪਕੜ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ ਜੀ ਵਲੋਂ ਵਰਣਿਤ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਜੋਗੀ ਦੀ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਪ੍ਰੇਰਦੇ ਰਹਿਣਾ ਮਤਾ ਕਿਤੇ “ਅਵਰ ਉਪਦੇਸੈ ਆਪਿ ਨ ਕਰੈ ॥” ਵਾਲੇ ਭਾਰੀ ਡੰਨ ਦੇ ਭਾਗੀ ਬਣਦੇ ਜਾਈਏ। ਆਪ ਹੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਨੀ ਜੀ।

ਗੁਰੂ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਭੌਰਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ,
ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ - ang 946

ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਆਇਓ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ॥
ਮੋ ਕਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਬੁਝਾਇਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ang 208

ਰਾਜ ਲੀਲਾ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਬਨਾਈ ॥
ਜੋਗੁ ਬਨਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਗਾਈ ॥੧॥
ang 385

ਸਭ ਜੋਗਤਣ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨਾ ॥ - ang 477

Bhai Kulbir Singh ji, until a few years ago I was of the opinion that Ramdev is doing a genuine seva by helping people becoming healthy. I saw a good number of Sikhs as well attend his camps, and once even a dastaar vaali bibi. But just recently his unnecessary interference in politics, his "fanatical patriotism", and him asking people to give him their kids who he wants to train as Yoga instructors to "save the country" just put me off. His way is the way of a sannyaasi, which is something not permitted in Gurmat. I won't be wrong in saying that somewhere deep down his agenda is to promote and propagate Hindu tenets and philosophy as well, because some of his statements clearly reflect that. Yes its fine if he does that to the wider Hindu community. There is nothing wrong if someone learns about their religion and is firm (parpakh) in their beliefs. However, he visited a Gurdwara in UK 3-4 years ago and there was much uproar about it.
What would you say to people who say "the way you do naam is a yoga as well?" I struggled to answer this question.
What would you say to people who say "the way you do naam is a yoga as well?" I struggled to answer this question.

ਜੋਗੁ ਬਨਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਗਾਈ smiling smiley
July 10, 2010 02:08PM
I understand things slightly differently. Is Jogmat, Jog and Yoga are akin. I think, these are not exactly same. Yoga is not Jogmat. And also those who practice yoga as a health tool; are not "Jogies". Even the full time yoga teachers are not "Jogies". Yoga was practised by "Jogies", it originated from "Jogies"; but benefitting from yoga will never mean that we are putting faith in Jogmat. In the present context yoga is for "Grehasthi" i.e. "not Jogi" persons.

Jogmat is clearly not Gurmat.

Jogies could be real or unreal. Gursikhs are real Jogies as per Gurmat. Gursikhs are also called as Gurmukh Jogies.

Yoga is a heath system, which lacks Gurmat as Allopathy or Homeopathy lacks it also. A yoga instructor could be a Gursikh as an Homeopath could be the one. A yoga exercise or a pill of medicine to lower hypertension are two of the different alternatives available to a man. If the pill is not anti-gurmat, why the yoga exercise should be? A point to ponder about. confused smiley

I agree with the main theme of the thread that "Naam" is above all and considering any yoga instructor or Baba Ramdev as spiritual healer or guide is total ignorance and it is foolishness in case the subjects are SIKHS. sad smiley
July 10, 2010 02:30PM
Yoga actually pronounced as Yog is the same as Jog. In Punjabi many words y is sometimes pronounced as j. So yog in punjabi is popularly pronounced as jog, yogi is pronounced as jogi in Punjabi.
July 12, 2010 07:24AM
Taken from abhiyaas.blogspot.com

Is Yoga a part of Sikhee?

(Ang 188)

pUrw mwrgu pUrw iesnwnu ]
pooraa maarug pooraa eisunaan
Perfect is the path; perfect is the cleansing bath.

sBu ikCu pUrw ihrdY nwmu ]1]
subh kish pooraa hirudhai naam
Everything is perfect, if the Naam is in the heart. 1

pUrI rhI jw pUrY rwKI ]
pooree rehee jaa poorai raakhee
One's honor remains perfect, when the Perfect Lord preserves it.

pwrbRhm kI srix jn qwkI ]1] rhwau ]
paarubrehum kee suran jun thaakee
His servant takes to the Sanctuary of the Supreme Lord God. 1Pause

pUrw suKu pUrw sMqoKu ]
pooraa sukh pooraa sunthokh
Perfect is the peace; perfect is the contentment.

pUrw qpu pUrn rwju jogu ]2]
pooraa thup poorun raaj jog
Perfect is the penance; perfect is the Raja Yoga, the Yoga of meditation and success. 2

hir kY mwrig piqq punIq ]
har kai maarag pathith puneeth
On the Lord's Path, sinners are purified.

pUrI soBw pUrw lokIk ]3]
pooree sobhaa pooraa lokeek
Perfect is their glory; perfect is their humanity. 3

krxhwru sd vsY hdUrw ]
kurunehaar sudh vusai hudhooraa
They dwell forever in the Presence of the Creator Lord.

khu nwnk myrw siqguru pUrw ]4]45]114]
kuhu naanuk maeraa sathigur pooraa
Says Nanak, my True Guru is Perfect. 445114

Guru Sahib states clearly in Gurbaanee that the true Yoga is the Yoga of Athai Pehar Naam Abhiyaas. Guru Sahib explains clearly in this Shabad peace, contentment, raj yoga, honor, glory will only come through Naam, Guru Sahib also explains everything we do in life will be perfect if it is blessed by Guru Sahibs Naam Abhiyaas through every breath.

(Ang 208)

jog jugiq suin AwieE gur qy ]
jog jugath sun aaeiou gur thae
I came to the Guru, to learn the Way of Yoga.

mo kau siqgur sbid buJwieE ]1] rhwau ]
mo ko sathigur subadh bujhaaeiou
The True Guru has revealed it to me through the Word of the Shabad. 1Pause

nau KMf ipRQmI iesu qn mih rivAw inmK inmK nmskwrw ]
no khundd prithumee eis thun mehi raviaa nimukh nimukh numusukaaraa
He is contained in the nine continents of the world, and within this body; each and every moment, I humbly bow to Him.

dIiKAw gur kI muMdRw kwnI idRiVE eyku inrMkwrw ]1]
dheekhiaa gur kee mundhraa kaanee dhrirriou eaek nirunkaaraa
I have made the Guru's Teachings my ear-rings, and I have enshrined the One Formless Lord within my being. 1

pMc cyly imil Bey iekqRw eyksu kY vis kIey ]
punch chaelae mil bheae eikuthraa eaekus kai vas keeeae
I have brought the five disciples together, and they are now under the control of the one mind.

ds bYrwgin AwigAwkwrI qb inrml jogI QIey ]2]
dhus bairaagan aagiaakaaree thub nirumul jogee theeeae
When the ten hermits become obedient to the Lord, then I became an immaculate Yogi. 2

Brmu jrwie crweI ibBUqw pMQu eyku kir pyiKAw ]
bhurum juraae churaaee bibhoothaa punth eaek kar paekhiaa
I have burnt my doubt, and smeared my body with the ashes. My path is to see the One and Only Lord.

shj sUK so kInI Bugqw jo Twkuir msqik lyiKAw ]3]
sehuj sookh so keenee bhuguthaa jo thaakur musuthak laekhiaa
I have made that intuitive peace my food; the Lord Master has written this pre-ordained destiny upon my forehead. 3

jh Bau nwhI qhw Awsnu bwiDE isMgI Anhq bwnI ]
jeh bho naahee thehaa aasun baadhiou singee anehuth baanee
In that place where there is no fear, I have assumed my Yogic posture. The unstruck melody of His Bani is my horn.

qqu bIcwru fMfw kir rwiKE jugiq nwmu min BwnI ]4]
thuth beechaar ddunddaa kar raakhiou jugath naam man bhaanee
I have made contemplation upon the essential reality my Yogic staff. The Love of the Name in my mind is my Yogic lifestyle. 4

AYsw jogI vfBwgI BytY mwieAw ky bMDn kwtY ]
aisaa jogee vuddubhaagee bhaettai maaeiaa kae bundhun kaattai
By great good fortune, such a Yogi is met, who cuts away the bonds of Maya.

syvw pUj krau iqsu mUriq kI nwnku iqsu pg cwtY ]5]11]132]
saevaa pooj kuro this moorath kee naanuk this pug chaattai
Nanak serves and adores this wondrous person, and kisses his feet. 511132

Guru Sahib was not against Yoga; Guru Sahib was against the Yogis way of living.
They did nothing for society, they meditated for powers which led to Ego, they did not meditate on the Name of the Lord Vahiguroo, they meditated through physically controlling the breathing, they never led a householders life, nor earned an honest living, they kept extreme rules and penances and lived as renunciates, which made their practice very difficult to follow and spread, e.g. walking around naked, shaving their heads. Their practices became very egotistical rather than humble.
Guru Sahib explains in this Shabad, one becomes a great Yogi only when one cuts the noose of Maayaa (materialistic pleasures) from the mind through the loving devotion of Athai Pehar Naam Abhiyaas (24,7 Simran).

YOG is the name for perfect technique and this perfect technique is only given by Guru Sahib in the form of Shabad.

(Ang 237)

gauVI mhlw 5 ]
gourree mehulaa 5
Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

jo iesu mwry soeI sUrw ]
jo eis maarae soee sooraa
One who kills this is a spiritual hero.

jo iesu mwry soeI pUrw ]
jo eis maarae soee pooraa
One who kills this is perfect.

jo iesu mwry iqsih vifAweI ]
jo eis maarae thisehi vaddiaaee
One who kills this obtains glorious greatness.

jo iesu mwry iqs kw duKu jweI ]1]
jo eis maarae this kaa dhukh jaaee
One who kills this is freed of suffering. 1

AYsw koie ij duibDw mwir gvwvY ]
aisaa koe j dhubidhaa maar guvaavai
How rare is such a person, who kills and casts off duality.

iesih mwir rwj jogu kmwvY ]1] rhwau ]
eisehi maar raaj jog kumaavai
Killing it, he attains Raja Yoga, the Yoga of meditation and success. 1Pause

Guru Sahib has gave a lot of respect to the word Yoga in Gurbaanee, as mentioned above in this Shabad, and mentioned in many more Shabads, Guru Sahib is talking about killing ones duality (doubts) in this Shabad, one who kills their doubts attains Raaj Yoga. Doubts will only lead to negative thinking, which in turn will cause negative actions. One cannot be called Gurmukh if one lives in doubt, as one is not living in Bhaanaa (accepting will) and lacks faith in Guru Sahib. If we do something wrong we should not regret it or doubt it, just learn from it and accept it, make sure we don’t do it again, never dwell as this means we are not in peace with Naam in this moment of time.

(Ang 939)

drsnu ByK krhu joigMdRw muMdRw JolI iKMQw ]
dhurusun bhaekh kuruhu jogindhraa mundhraa jholee khinthaa
"Wear the robes of the sect of Yogis who follow Gorakh; put on the ear-rings, begging wallet and patched coat.

bwrh AMqir eyku sryvhu Ktu drsn iek pMQw ]
baareh anthar eaek suraevuhu khutt dhurusun eik punthaa
Among the twelve schools of Yoga, ours is the highest; among the six schools of philosophy, ours is the best path.

ien ibiD mnu smJweIAY purKw bwhuiV cot n KweIAY ]
ein bidh mun sumujhaaeeai purukhaa baahurr chott n khaaeeai
This is the way to instruct the mind, so you will never suffer beatings again.""

nwnku bolY gurmuiK bUJY jog jugiq iev pweIAY ]9]
naanuk bolai gurumukh boojhai jog jugath eiv paaeeai
Nanak speaks: the Gurmukh understands; this is the way that Yoga is attained. 9

AMqir sbdu inrMqir mudRw haumY mmqw dUir krI ]
anthar subudh nirunthar mudhraa houmai mumuthaa dhoor kuree
Let constant absorption in the Word of the Shabad deep within be your ear-rings; eradicate egotism and attachment.

kwmu k®oDu AhMkwru invwrY gur kY sbid su smJ prI ]
kaam krodh ahunkaar nivaarai gur kai subadh s sumujh puree
Discard sexual desire, anger and egotism, and through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, attain true understanding.

iKMQw JolI Birpuir rihAw nwnk qwrY eyku hrI ]
khinthaa jholee bharipur rehiaa naanuk thaarai eaek huree
For your patched coat and begging bowl, see the Lord God pervading and permeating everywhere; O Nanak, the One Lord will carry you across.

swcw swihbu swcI nweI prKY gur kI bwq KrI ]10]
saachaa saahib saachee naaee purukhai gur kee baath khuree
True is our Lord and Master, and True is His Name. Analyze it, and you shall find the Word of the Guru to be True. 10

Guru Nanak Dev Jee had a conversation with Gorakh, the spiritual Guru of the Siddhs and Yogis, Gorakh said to Guru Sahib “ours is the best philosophy to instruct the mind, if you follow this philosophy you will never suffer again”. Guru Sahib replied, “if you analyze the Name of the Lord you will find the word of the Guru to be true. There is no larger faith than the faith of Naam, no faith can compare unless they dwell in Athai Pehar Naam Abhiyaas with every breath and this Yog is only given by Guru Sahib.

(Ang 1353)

<> siq nwmu krqw purKu inrBau inrvYru Akwl mUriq AjUnI sYBM gur pRswid ]
ik ounkaar sath naam kuruthaa purukh nirubho niruvair akaal moorath ajoonee saibhun gur prusaadh
One Universal Creator God. Truth Is The Name. Creative Being Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying. Beyond Birth. Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace:

slok shsik®qI mhlw 1 ]
sulok sehusakiruthee mehulaa 1
Shalok Sehskritee, First Mehl:

piV@ pusok sMiDAw bwdM ]
parr ipusok sundhiaa baadhun
You study the scriptures, say your prayers and argue;

isl pUjis bgul smwDM ]
sil poojas bugul sumaadhun
you worship stones and sit like a crane, pretending to meditate.

muiK JUTu ibBUKn swrM ]
mukh jhooth bibhookhun saarun
You speak lies and well-ornamented falsehood,

qRYpwl iqhwl ibcwrM ]
thraipaal thihaal bichaarun
and recite your daily prayers three times a day.

gil mwlw iqlk illwtM ]
gal maalaa thiluk lilaattun
The mala is around your neck, and the sacred tilak mark is on your forehead.

duie DoqI bsqR kpwtM ]
dhue dhothee busuthr kupaattun
You wear two loin cloths, and keep your head covered.

jo jwnis bRhmM krmM ]
jo jaanas brehumun kurumun
If you know God and the nature of karma,

sB Pokt inscY krmM ]
subh fokutt nisuchai kurumun
you know that all these rituals and beliefs are useless.

khu nwnk inscO iD´wvY ]
kuhu naanuk nisuchu dhiaavai
Says Nanak, meditate on the Lord with faith.

ibnu siqgur bwt n pwvY ]1]
bin sathigur baatt n paavai
Without the True Guru, no one finds the Way. 1

inhPlµ qs´ jnms´ jwvd bRhm n ibMdqy ]
nihufulun thusu junumusu jaavudh brehum n bindhuthae
The mortal's life is fruitless, as long as he does not know God.

swgrM sMswrs´ gur prswdI qrih ky ]
saagurun sunsaarusu gur purusaadhee thurehi kae
Only a few, by Guru's Grace, cross over the world-ocean.

krx kwrx smrQu hY khu nwnk bIcwir ]
kurun kaarun sumuruth hai kuhu naanuk beechaar
The Creator, the Cause of causes, is All-powerful. Thus speaks Nanak, after deep deliberation.

kwrxu krqy vis hY ijin kl rKI Dwir ]2]
kaarun kuruthae vas hai jin kul rukhee dhaar
The Creation is under the control of the Creator. By His Power, He sustains and supports it. 2

jog sbdM igAwn sbdM byd sbdM q bRwhmxh ]
jog subudhun giaan subudhun baedh subudhun th braahumuneh
The Shabad is Yoga, the Shabad is spiritual wisdom; the Shabad is the Vedas for the Brahmin.

K´qRI sbdM sUr sbdM sUdR sbdM prw ik®qh ]
khuuthree subudhun soor subudhun soodhr subudhun puraa kirutheh
The Shabad is heroic bravery for the Khshaatriya; the Shabad is service to others for the Soodra.

srb sbdM q eyk sbdM jy ko jwnis Byau ]
surub subudhun th eaek subudhun jae ko jaanas bhaeo
The Shabad for all is the Shabad, the Word of the One God, for one who knows this secret.

nwnk qw ko dwsu hY soeI inrMjn dyau ]3]
naanuk thaa ko dhaas hai soee nirunjun dhaeo
Nanak is the slave of the Divine, Immaculate Lord. 3

eyk ik®s~M q srb dyvw dyv dyvw q Awqmh ] AwqmM sRI bwsÍdyvs´ jy koeI jwnis Byv ]
eaek kirusuun th surub dhaevaa dhaev dhaevaa th aathumeh
The One Lord is the Divinity of all divinities. He is the Divinity of the soul.

nwnk qw ko dwsu hY soeI inrMjn dyv ]4]
naanuk thaa ko dhaas hai soee nirunjun dhaev
Nanak is the slave of that one who knows the Secrets of the soul and the Supreme Lord God. He is the Divine Immaculate Lord Himself. 4

Guru Sahib has made it clear in Salokh Sehiskritee only the Shabad of Guru Sahib prevails the Universe, this is the true Yoga there is no other Yoga, Naam is Yoga and Yoga is Naam.

If one wants to practice the exercises of Yoga for physical stability and posture one should feel free to do so, but one should not get in to the breathing techniques of Yoga, as this is not Gurmat. Any breathe without they name of the Lord is a breath wasted in evil thoughts. One should meditate Athai Pehar (24/7) with every breath in order to be liberated in this life. (Please remember this.)

The Yogic teachers of this day and age are using the philosophy of our 1st master Guru Nanak Sahib Jee to spread the teachings of Yoga. One of them teaches on Aasthaa International TV, he looks young with black beard and long black hair, he wears an orange 'Baana'(picture at the top of page), Daas does not know his name, Daas heard he was called Raamdev.

He uses the Name of the Lord as his breathing technique, Daas heard that he uses various names like Vahiguroo, Allah hoo, Raam etc. He earns money through curing illness by prescribing his own medicine, and also charges a fee for attending, he also teaches posture and explains about the various Veins, Limbs and Arteries in the Body, (the Yogis usually have a lot of knowledge on the Anatomy of the body).

Using the Lords name is not the Yogic philosophy, as Daas has explained above and in previous articles, the Yogic philosophy is controlling breathing for a longer life span and spiritual powers, through this one cannot be liberated, one will suffer through the fire of personal Ego.

The upsetting side is he has millions of viewers a lot of them being old Amritdhaaree Gursikhs, he also has Amritdhaaree Gursikhs attending his camps. What is the reason for this? The reason for this is lack of faith in Guru Sahib, he is using Guru Sahibs teachings to spread spirituality, but we cannot go directly to Guru Sahib to find our answers, we need a middleman.

Another reason is lack of Spiritual Parchaar, we decide to keep our Spiritual earnings and profit to ourselves rather than helping our brothers and sisters out there to strengthen Guru Sahibs Panth.

If one wants to learn about the body, posture etc one should feel free to do so through these programmes. Daas' personal opinion is one should Japna Naam Athai Pehar and Gyaan will ponder around the feet of such soul, let us search inside not outside, let us purify our mind and not look for answers, as this will only slow down progression in spirituality. If we search Gurbaanee we will be amazed about the things Guru Sahib talks about, lets use Guru Sahib and personal effort and not search for answers off people who are not Pooran (pure), we can only be sure of Guru Sahib being Pooran and no Human-being, this is the reason we never follow any Human being no matter how spiritual, earn a direct link through Naam to Guru Sahib.

However, Guru Sahib has mentioned the body being a temple, if this temple breaks down it becomes very difficult to meditate, so it is very important for one to look after ones health, posture etc. If we look in the Guroodwaare we see many Punjabee Sikhs slouching and struggling to sit. If we have to take up Yogic exercises to improve in posture this is not a bad thing, as long as the breath is accompanied by Naam and nothing else. Also in Sikhee there is no wrong and right the subconscious mind needs to be positive through Naam, this is why in Gurbaanee Guru Sahib mentions a Bhagat (Saint) who had many twists in his body. (Sorry cannot remember the name).

(Ang 185)

hm DnvMq BwgT sc nwie ]
hum dhunuvunth bhaaguth such naae
I am prosperous and fortunate, for I have received the True Name.

hir gux gwvh shij suBwie ]1] rhwau ]
har gun gaaveh sehaj subhaae
I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, with natural, intuitive ease. 1Pause

pIaU dwdy kw Koil ifTw Kjwnw ]
peeoo dhaadhae kaa khol ddithaa khujaanaa
When I opened it up and gazed upon the treasures of my father and grandfather,

qw myrY min BieAw inDwnw ]1]
thaa maerai man bhaeiaa nidhaanaa
then my mind became very happy. 1

rqn lwl jw kw kCU n molu ] Bry BMfwr AKUt Aqol ]2]
ruthun laal jaa kaa kushoo n mol
The storehouse is inexhaustible and immeasurable, overflowing with priceless jewels and rubies. 2

Kwvih Krcih ril imil BweI ]
khaavehi khuruchehi ral mil bhaaee
The Siblings of Destiny meet together, and eat and spend,

qoit n AwvY vDdo jweI ]3]
thott n aavai vudhudho jaaee
but these resources do not diminish; they continue to increase. 3

khu nwnk ijsu msqik lyKu ilKwie ]
kuhu naanuk jis musuthak laekh likhaae
Says Nanak, one who has such destiny written on his forehead,

su eyqu KjwnY lieAw rlwie ]4]31]100]
s eaeth khujaanai laeiaa rulaae
becomes a partner in these treasures. 431100

Guru Sahib explains in this Shabad through constant meditation and sharing ones earnings of Naam profit with siblings who are yearning for Guru Sahibs lotus feet, ones profit of Naam will only increase and not diminish.

One has to be very careful when sharing ones profit of Naam, the warrior ego is always waiting to attack. This does not give anyone the excuse to share personal spiritual experiences unless they are Gupt (secret), as this could very easily lead to ego. This means one should guide another being through the spiritual journey Guru Sahib has put us together on through the spirits earnings of divine-knowledge which comes from Guru Sahibs blessings of Naam.

WE ARE VERY BLESSED TO BE SIKHS SOMETHING IN WHICH WE HAVE NOT REALIZED WE WILL ONLY BE LIBERATED THROUGH NAAM, GURU, REHIT AND AMRIT WE NEED NO VICHOLAA (middle man), AS THIS DUTY HAS BEEN GIVEN TO GURU SAHIB BY AKAAL PURAKH VAHIGUROO, AND SHABAD.

LET US PURIFY OUR MINDS AND LIBERATE OUR SOULS THROUGH THE BLESSINGS OF GURU SAHIB JEES SHABAD.

This article was written for a Gursikh Veer who asked the question on e-mail, Daas deleted your question by mistake, please forgive Daas for delaying in trying to answer your question, Daas hopes this article has answered your question, if not please e-mail.

IS YOGA A PART OF SIKHEE? SIKHEE IS A YOGA OF ITS OWN. SHABAD IS THE YOG.
July 12, 2010 05:06PM
is yoga sikhi? no
is yoga a way to reach waheguru? no
are yog-mantras sikhi? no

is it wrong to do yoga for health while remembering waheguru? i don't think so... if we do it with waheguru in our heart and mind, how can it be anti-gurmat? you can take yoga classes at any gym and they don't have anything to do with religion at all, they're just exercise like riding a bike or taking a walk. as MB Singh veerjee said, how is it different than any other health remedy?
July 12, 2010 06:26PM
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਤਾਗਾ ਬਾਹਉ ਬੇਹੀ ॥
jab lag thaagaa baaho baehee ||
As long as I pass the thread through the bobbin,

ਤਬ ਲਗੁ ਬਿਸਰੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਸਨੇਹੀ ॥੨॥
thab lag bisarai raam sanaehee ||2||
I forget the Lord, my Beloved. ||2||

In the above Gurbani Pankities of Bhagat Kabir Ji, I find something interesting. Why Bhagat Ji admits to forget Lord while passing the thread. Ever considered that? May be, that particular breathing action, makes a hurdle; in remembering HIM. confused smiley

If it is so, as I think, that indicates towards "Breathing" related "Rememberence". And if there is chance of any Yoga exercise directly effecting the "rememberance process"; then that Yoga Posture or Exercise would have to be shunned or discarded. I do feel that there are some breathing exercises,promoted in yoga, which do appear to interfere in-----. (But, after all, there are many moments rather hours which go without HIS rememberence for many of us.)

That is something negative about Yoga Breathing Exercises. Now something positive, follows.

As Mehtab Singh Veer Ji hints at; "ALOM VILOM" breathing exercise involves deep inhaling exhaling, which is also important with NAAM SIMRAN. GURMANTAR JUGTI gives a further hint that there is something ancient and healthy in that ALOM VILOM practice. GURSIKH JOGIES automatically get the benefit of that exercise when they attend AMRIT VELA. Those who, are without NAAM, are welcome to do anything, in the name of health. They will call NAAM SIMRAN as a breathing practice alone. It is their misery. But those, who are with IT, cannot afford to run the breathing, slow or fast, go waste.

After all, health is not our primary goal. Neither the "so called peace of mind". All the Yoga exercises, at the best of their results, can keep one heathy or so called peaceful. Is it all?------------------------------------------------------------A big no. That is not all. All of us, know that.

Bhai MB Singh jeeo,

You have raised some interesting points whereby you have stated that just like Allopathy and Homeopathy, Yoga too is a system that can promote health and just as there can be Sikh pratitioners of Homeopathy and Allopathy, there can be Sikh instructers for Yoga as well. I humbly submit that Allopathy and Homeopathy are not religious systems but are purely medically systems and the Indian equivalent of these medical systems is Ayurveda.

On the other hand Yoga system is one of the 6 religious Shasters of Hindus and the original Guru of this system is the great Rishi Patanjali. Later on Machhandarnaath and Gorakhnaath took this system to new heights and not to mention Dattatreya the original Yogi. The stretching excercises that this system suggest are all for a spiritual goal of awakening the Kundalini. Gurbani has written that there are 84 main Aasans of Yogis and Gurbani has rejected all of them:

ਸਿਧਾ ਕੇ ਆਸਣ ਜੇ ਸਿਖੈ ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ ਵਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਕਮਾਇ ॥
ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥2॥

( If you learn the postures of Sidhas (accomplished Yogis), and control your senses like this, still the dirt of your mind will not be removed and your dirt of ego will not go).

Explaining the state of a being who has gone through many religious systems without attaining the truth, Guru Sahib states:

ਜੋਗ ਸਿਧ ਆਸਣ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਏ ਭੀ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ॥
ਵਡੀ ਆਰਜਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਸੰਗੁ ਨ ਗਹਿਆ ॥6॥

( I have also done the 84 Aasans (yogic postures) of the Sidhas and Yogis; I had long age, was born again and again and did not attain company of Vaheguru).

Many more Pankitis of Gurbani can be given to prove that Yoga and its philosophy has been rejected by Gurbani but the aforementioned two Parmaans are enough.

The stretching excercises as part of normal and regular excercise can be done but to practice the Yogic excercises like Pranayaam or Alom Vilom seems to be Mamnooh (prohibited) to Gurmukhs. It is really like a prince begging at the doors of ordinary landlords. If the time that is spent on Pranayaam or Alom Vilom, is spent on Siri Sukhmani Sahib or Naam Abhyaas with full devotion and love, it would bear much more results.

Since Yogic System is in competition with Gurmat and is a religious system like Gurmat, Gurmukhs should avoid using it under all circumstances. To do stretching excercises is fine but to do Puthay-Sidhay Yogic Aasans does not seem correct for a Gursikh to do.

Once a relative of a Gursikh started giving him lecture on various yogic postures. He was telling the Gurmukh the benefits of Shav-Aasan (lying like a corpse), Manjaar Aasan (stretching your back like a cat), Naag Aasan (lifting your head like a Cobra), and Dog Aasan which involved barking like a dog. The Gurmukh replied back, "After great difficulty I have received this human body and now you want me go act like a cat, dog and cobra to derive some benefits. I rather die than become a dog or a cat" (ਬੜੀ ਮੁਸ਼ਕਿਲ ਨਾਲ ਇਹ ਮਨੁਖਾ ਦੇਹੀ ਮਿਲੀ ਹੈ ਓਇ ਤੂੰ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਫੇਰ ਕੁੱਤੇ ਬਿੱਲੇ ਬਣਾਈ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈਂ? ਕੁੱਤੇ ਬਿੱਲੇ ਬਣ ਕੇ ਅਸੀਂ ਕੋਈ ਫਾਇਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਲੈਣਾ। ਕੁੱਤੇ ਬਿੱਲੇ ਬਨਣ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਮਰਨਾ ਮਨਜ਼ੂਰ ਹੈ। ) It was quite funny, the way he said it in Punjabi.

Tomorrow, if someone tells us that by placing Chandan Tilak on the forehead, there is such and such health benefit, are we going to start sporting a Tilak? If someone tells us that (as Raamdev is already saying) by drinking urine of cow and by eating cowdung, we can get such and such health benefit, are we start going to consume cow urine and cow dung?

Guru Sahib has blessed his Gurmukhs with Bibek Budhi and using Bibek Budhi we should not adopt the rituals of other religions. It is not however wrong to excercise or do stretching exercises but practicing Yogic postures is not befitting a Gurmukh. Yoga cannot be compared with Homeopathy or Medical Science. Ayurveda is the Indian equivalent of Medical Science and it is fine for a Gurmukh to be doctor or an Ayurvedic Hakeem but not a Yogic Practitioner.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
July 13, 2010 12:28PM
what about martial arts other than gatka? all involve some meditation and energy control techniques. would you say these are also anti-gurmat?

what about martial arts other than gatka? all involve some meditation and energy control techniques. would you say these are also anti-gurmat?

I don't think Kung-Fu, Tae-Kwon-Do or Boxing, Wrestling or other such martial arts involve worshipping a deity or awakening some mystical spirit like Kundalini. These martial arts systems are not part of any religious tradition and as such there does not seem to be a problem in practicing them. I did some martial arts including Tae-Kwon-Do in my early years and there was no meditation involved but if there is some spiritual meditation involved (as in OM meditation of Yoga), then I don't think a Gurmukh should do it. No meditation is greater than Gurmat Naam Abhyaas.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
July 13, 2010 01:17PM
i'm not terribly familiar with tae kwon do, but kung fu is heavily influenced by both daoist and buddhist philosophy, and is based around using meditation and postures to control the chi, or life force. before any martial or fighting style is taught, the meditation, breath control, and postures must be mastered.
so it sounds a lot like yoga. it's also quite popular with sikhs in the west.
Can you imagine if a tyar-bar-tyar rehetvaan GurSikh is in a combat situation and is reciting Dasam Bani while combating? He/she would be invincible!!!!!!!!
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'm not terribly familiar with tae kwon do, but
> kung fu is heavily influenced by both daoist and
> buddhist philosophy, and is based around using
> meditation and postures to control the chi, or
> life force. before any martial or fighting style
> is taught, the meditation, breath control, and
> postures must be mastered.
> so it sounds a lot like yoga. it's also quite
> popular with sikhs in the west.

Your right Kung Fu does incorporate both Buddhist and Toaist philosophies in their art of fighting. Kung Fu originates from Shaolin Kung Fu which was introduced by an Indian Buddhist monk name Dharam . Dharam introduced shaster vidya to the Chinese Buddhist as a method to protect their Dharma from people who were killing them due to their Buddhist beliefs. However, Shaolin Kung Fu cannot be considered as an invention from the Buddhist. Buddha was a strict pacifist who did not believe in physical combat even for the purpose of self defense of ones faith. So its unlikely that this is a Buddhist invention. Instead, it is a a Hindu invention that dates back thousands and thousands of years. As previously mentioned yoga practices are performed in this art such as yogic postures and breathing techniques to maximize the vital breath ( praan) which they refer to as "Chee" which is located in the navel ( Naacool smiley So this practice is very much intune with Hindumat in this art there is no emphasis on Bhao Bhagti ( devotional worship). A person can learn all kinds of fighting skills that would enable him to destroy the opponent in an instance, but without devotion to the holy name they too will perish in an instance.

Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib did not subscribe to this Hindu Yoga Mat as popularly believed, instead Guru Sahib invented his own Shaster Vidya based on Naam Abhyiaas. Through Naam Abhyiaas the vital breath would ascend and the Gurmukh Surma would unleash Mystical powers. In his brilliant book " Gurmat Bibek" Bhai Randhir Singh Ji mentions this art of Naam Abhyiaas Shaster Vidya he states that a Gurmukh Sumra has both bir ras and Shant ras. Bir ras being the ability to be a fierce deadly warrior, and shant raas the ability to undergone intense torture without feeling any pain at all. He mentions to acquire shant ras one must be above both pleasure and pain which comes only comes through Bhao Bhagti/Naam Abhyiaas. In Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama, Guru Sahib mentions this Warrior Code of Conduct and states a Gursikh should be above pleasure and pain and purify the mind through the gift of Naam
ਮਨ ਸੁਧ ਰਖੈ, ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਹਰੈ

No doubt Yoga can bring health and a peaceful mind, but they will not purify the mind. As Veer Mehrban Singh Ji previously mentioned for a Gursikh the goal is not to have peaceful mind or great health. One can easily get healthy without subscribing to Hindu philosophies . Even learning self defense is possible without subscribing to these degenerate breathing techniques- while learning physical combat like Kung Fu one can do Swas Swas Naam Abhyiaas instead of doing Yogic breathing techniques- this way one gets healthy and fulfills Guru Jis Hukum to do Naam Abyiaas while sitting and standing. One can swim, play baskeball , go to the gym and still do Naam Abyiaas, but yoga philosophies only keep us away from Naam.

Unfortunately this art of Naam Abhyiaas Shaster Vidya has become forgotten. I myself have seen a Naam Abhyiaas Surma fearlessly manhandle a pitbull. Also, It seems likesomeGurmukhs like Bhai Uptej Singh Ji ( UK) are making efforts to revive this lost art of Naam Abhyiaas Shaster Vidya.
[www.youtube.com]

However, on the other side of the fence we have people like Niddar who are preaching Hindu mat to the innocent youth in the guise of Gursikhi The things him and his cheley teach are completely against the teachings of Guru Sahib.
[news.panthic.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login