ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shud dastaar be lowered in front of non-devotees ??

Posted by harinder_singh 
interesting discussion...

here's a thought... while many are averse to touching the feet of a non-gursikh (myself included, though that's probably from my western upbringing), everyone would agree that doing joorian di seva is a great blessing. is touching where the feet have been the same as touching the feet? we can't be sure who the shoes in joor garh belong to, can we? winking smiley

also, i don't know any gurmukhs who would allow someone to touch their feet... some say it steals kamai. i have seen elderly gurmukhs literally fall to their knees rather than allow a singh to touch their feet.

back to the original question of bowing the head, surely this shabad is familiar smiling smiley

ਮਿਠਤੁ ਨੀਵੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਗੁਣ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਤਤੁ ॥
Sweetness and humility, O Nanak, are the essence of virtue and goodness.

ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਨਿਵੈ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਪਰ ਕਉ ਨਿਵੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
Everyone bows down to himself; no one bows down to another.

ਧਰਿ ਤਾਰਾਜੂ ਤੋਲੀਐ ਨਿਵੈ ਸੁ ਗਉਰਾ ਹੋਇ ॥
When something is placed on the balancing scale and weighed, the side which descends is heavier.

ਅਪਰਾਧੀ ਦੂਣਾ ਨਿਵੈ ਜੋ ਹੰਤਾ ਮਿਰਗਾਹਿ ॥
The sinner, like the deer hunter, bows down twice as much.

ਸੀਸਿ ਨਿਵਾਇਐ ਕਿਆ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਰਿਦੈ ਕੁਸੁਧੇ ਜਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
But what can be achieved by bowing the head, when the heart is impure? ||1||

my interpretation: bowing from humility (good intention) = good. bowing with bad intention = not good. even bowing to a gursikh without humility in the heart seems pointless. we have to mean it from inside, otherwise what's the point?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh,

with due respect i had opportunity for darshan at darbar saheb in amritsar and also met chhote darjee at some singhs house for some program.

When he was about to enter the house there were shoes outside of ppl who had come for the program... and he took charn dhood from each of the shoes there on his forehead....now that included paapis like me... so i guess when we are doing jodiya de sewa at gurudware all who come are sangat and should take their charan dhood..

seeing that i could not explain how bad i felt...i was ashamed of my self that i am filled with somuch hankaar and gurmukh ppl with kamaiyaan are so much with humbleness....

sry if its not appropriate with this thread...

waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh
Jo Deesey Gursikhra Tis Niv Niv Lagaon Paaye Jeeo....!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login