ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

best time to do chandi di vaar

Posted by singh12345 
i wanted to start doing this but im really confused when to do it?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
You can do it after Panj Bania or after Naam Abhyiaas when the Sun hits. if not then do it during any time of the day before the night hits. SOme Gurmukhs like Baba Harnam Singh Ji, Baba Nihal Singh Ji etc have strongly mentioned not to recite this bani at night. Its best not to question Senior Singhs on such matters ,so one can recite anytime before the night hits.

p.s. - perhaps there are people wondering as to why not recite this bani at Night, and t will try to say bad things about the nature of Chandi Di Vaar. I have no interest debating with such people if you do not want to recite this bani at all thats your choice. If you want to recite at night then thats your choice as well. REst Guru Sahib knows.
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can do it after Panj Bania or after Naam
> Abhyiaas when the Sun hits. if not then do it
> during any time of the day before the night hits.
> SOme Gurmukhs like Baba Harnam Singh Ji, Baba
> Nihal Singh Ji etc have strongly mentioned not to
> recite this bani at night. Its best not to
> question Senior Singhs on such matters ,so one can
> recite anytime before the night hits.
>
> p.s. - perhaps there are people wondering as to
> why not recite this bani at Night, and t will try
> to say bad things about the nature of Chandi Di
> Vaar. I have no interest debating with such people
> if you do not want to recite this bani at all
> thats your choice. If you want to recite at night
> then thats your choice as well. REst Guru Sahib
> knows.

It is said that Chandi Di Vaar was recited by Singhs before going to battle so they can get Bir Ras. When puraatan Singhs were living in jungles most of their attacks were during the night time which is where the origins of the 12 o clock joke comes from. Now since Singhs would go off to battle at night time, they would naturally also read Chandi Di Vaar which would also be at night. I myself have read Chandi Di Vaar several times at night and have had a very good night sleep with pleasant dreams without any disturbance from Shaheed Singhs.

Guru Jee works in mysterious ways I think. Maybe some Singhs do not have hukam of reading this bani at night time while some do.
Sants are simple thinking persons. The simple assumption for not reading this Vaar at night time could be that it speaks of a story and that too of battles. So why repeat a battle story again and again at night? It should be a peaceful mind before sleep.

Anyway, in my childhood; when I had a company of some young singhs, who enjoyed reading and quoting Chandi Di Vaar those days; an aged man in the house always advised not to read this bani; as it may result in quarrels & fights. We ignored his advice.smiling smiley
Good point by MBSingh. We cannot compare the concept of Chandi Di Vaar with Sohila Sahib. Perhaps that's the reason why Chandi Di Vaar should not be read at night. Such Gursikhs had their mind really focused. It is written in Baba Harnaam Singh Ji's biography that if we do Chandi Di Vaar at night, we must continue repeating it's paath until amritvela.

What do Singhs feel about doing this bani while sitting down? Whenever I read this bani, with Guru Ji's aapar kirpa, I always stand up and do it. I think this is also advised in Baba Harnaam Singh Ji's or maybe I heard it in the recordings of Baba Nihal Singh Ji on PanthKhalsa.org
Ideally Chandi Di Vaar was recited while standing because traditionally Singhs would recite this bani as part of an Ardas before going to war. Thats why to me it never makes sense to recite this bani and then go to sleep by doing so its make the recitation of this bani as a ritual. Even though in modern times we are not going to war we still recite this Bani while standing in the day so that we become alert throughout the day for this reason one is standing up in an alert position while reciting this bani. I see no harm in sitting while reciting this bani, but one should not recite this bani and then doze off to sleep. A Singh was once telling me that you should not recite this bani and act idle after wards meaning one should be doing something like seva, , Naam Abhyiaas, or doing anything active after reciting this bani.
i've read that if you start reciting chandi di vaar at night, you should avoid sleep and stay awake all night.

not sure what the logic behind that is. smiling smiley
Please download this file and listen...

[www.sikhroots.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login