ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maryada for Gutkeh and Senchian

Posted by Wahegurulove 
Just wanted to know if the same maryada applies for reading from gutkeh and Senchian as with reading from Maharaj saroop.
Does a full ishnan, including kes have to be done? If not, what are the minimum requirements?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Kesh Ishnaan Taa Rozaanaa Karnaa Chaheedaa Veer/Bhene

Je Nahi Kar Sakde, then must do so before reading senchian at least

te doonee dastaar honee chaheedee aa

meaning double dastaar (keski and dastaaraa)

khima karni

gurparsad
I too have a question about Maryada of keeping Guru Jis saroop at home. Through common sense I always thought it would be prohibited to have a dog or any pet in the house if one has Guru Jis saroop, but according to some Sikhs this is acceptable?
dogs lick everything

its next to impossible to keep sucham with them around

daas knows a singh who has a dog but has trained him very well
to stay downstairs

and he has a shastar room upstairs
he doesnt keep a maharaaj saroop yet

but his dog doesnt interfere upstairs at all
in this case, i guess its okay

i would still not keep a maharaaj saroop personally

obviously a turtle or fishes cant hurt
but a dog or cat
u might have to think twice
^^^^^
dogs only lick things if you let them close enough.

my personal experience:

we have a dog, she's not allowed in babajee's room, and she knows it! of course the door is always kept closed, and even if it got accidentally left open, she won't dare to go inside. we're currently selling our house so currently baba jee is in sukhasan at the gurdwara sahib (we don't want strangers wandering into his hazoori!) so the room is empty and open all the time, and still the dog won't dare go in.

also, i feed her a vegetarian diet, so there's no meat in the house (my main concern with keeping pets and doing seva of maharaj would if you fed them meat).

so yeah, i really don't see any issue. who knows, maybe listing to paath and simran and keertan will help her get human birth next time. winking smiley

of course, i'm no authority. maybe there is some rehet about this that i haven't read.
1kaur
^^^^^
dogs only lick things if you let them close enough.

my personal experience:

we have a dog, she's not allowed in babajee's room, and she knows it! of course the door is always kept closed, and even if it got accidentally left open, she won't dare to go inside. we're currently selling our house so currently baba jee is in sukhasan at the gurdwara sahib (we don't want strangers wandering into his hazoori!) so the room is empty and open all the time, and still the dog won't dare go in.

also, i feed her a vegetarian diet, so there's no meat in the house (my main concern with keeping pets and doing seva of maharaj would if you fed them meat).

so yeah, i really don't see any issue. who knows, maybe listing to paath and simran and keertan will help her get human birth next time.

of course, i'm no authority. maybe there is some rehet about this that i haven't read.

I can only hope that Guru Jee trains this dog (me) to be as obedient as your pooch Bhain Jee.
1kaur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ^^^^^
> dogs only lick things if you let them close
> enough.
>
> my personal experience:
>
> we have a dog, she's not allowed in babajee's
> room, and she knows it! of course the door is
> always kept closed, and even if it got
> accidentally left open, she won't dare to go
> inside. we're currently selling our house so
> currently baba jee is in sukhasan at the gurdwara
> sahib (we don't want strangers wandering into his
> hazoori!) so the room is empty and open all the
> time, and still the dog won't dare go in.
>
> also, i feed her a vegetarian diet, so there's no
> meat in the house (my main concern with keeping
> pets and doing seva of maharaj would if you fed
> them meat).
>
> so yeah, i really don't see any issue. who knows,
> maybe listing to paath and simran and keertan
> will help her get human birth next time. winking smiley
>
> of course, i'm no authority. maybe there is some
> rehet about this that i haven't read.

How about if you are inviting sangat over for langar. Would it be right to have sangat sit on the same floor that the dog has been roaming around knowing many dogs are not kept so clean? They are only dogs we cant expect them to clean themselves properly after going to the restroom. Would your dog not bother the sangat when they are eating on the floor. When you and your family eat on the floor where is the dog kept.

Also, when the dog goes outside to relieve himself doesnt he/she bring all the mess from outside inside the house. The mess will eventually come in Sach Khand ( room where Gurus saroop is kept)

I dont know of any Rehatnameys that say a dog shouldnt be allowed in Gurdwara Sahib since I think for many its common sense. But I do no for sure that according to Gurmukh saints that if one has Maharaj Jis saroop and respect/Gurmat Maryada is not implemented then the consequences are grave.

How about if you are inviting sangat over for langar. Would it be right to have sangat sit on the same floor that the dog has been roaming around knowing many dogs are not kept so clean? They are only dogs we cant expect them to clean themselves properly after going to the restroom. Would your dog not bother the sangat when they are eating on the floor. When you and your family eat on the floor where is the dog kept.

when sangat comes for keertan and langar, the dog is kept in a boarding kennel. the floors are cleaned, the house is cleaned, clean chaadar are laid on the clean floor...

every day in japjee sahib we read:

ਭਰੀਐ ਹਥੁ ਪੈਰੁ ਤਨੁ ਦੇਹ ॥
When the hands and the feet and the body are dirty,

ਪਾਣੀ ਧੋਤੈ ਉਤਰਸੁ ਖੇਹ ॥
water can wash away the dirt.

ਮੂਤ ਪਲੀਤੀ ਕਪੜੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
When the clothes are soiled and stained by urine,

ਦੇ ਸਾਬੂਣੁ ਲਈਐ ਓਹੁ ਧੋਇ ॥
soap can wash them clean.

ਭਰੀਐ ਮਤਿ ਪਾਪਾ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ॥
But when the intellect is stained and polluted by sin,

ਓਹੁ ਧੋਪੈ ਨਾਵੈ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ॥
it can only be cleansed by the Love of the Name.

clearly any mess a dog makes can be cleaned, just as a mess a person makes can be clean! when you eat from a dish, it becomes jootha. when you wash the same dish it become sucha. if someone who is not sikh eats at your house, do you throw away the dishes? of course not, because you can wash them. the same is for a home. smiling smiley
What if Sangat randomly show up at your house for langar. Would it be polite to have them sit on the floor and eat langar knowing your dog was roaming around such an area . You cant have proper sucham ( strict cleansiness) when a dog is present in the house. Since a child I have had numerous dogs and I know for sure this species do not put cleansiness on top of their chart.

What about when you walk around the house and the dirt on the dogs feet and body becomes part of your feet when doing to Matha Tekh and do seva of GUru Sahib. Do you personally clean your dog each time she relievers herself then change your clothes each time when going into Maharaj Jis room ? It seems like it would be more convenient to keep the dog outside. Most importantly it would be showing GUru Sahib proper respect. I dont see whats the big deal about keeping a dog outside. After all outside is their natural habitat.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Just to play Devil's Advocate: Do such requirements of Sucham that are being applied to pets ever get applied to children? Not to insult those blessed young future Gurmukhs of the world, but a lot of the things being said about dogs seem to apply to children as well...

Just saying...soiled diapers, dirty footprints, dragging dirt into the house, vomiting, spitting up food.
You could say that about anything, everytime we walk outside of Maharaj's room we collect dust. You should be washing your whole body before you do seva when you leave the room regardless of if you have a dog or not. I don't see the big deal, you just shouldn't let any of his fur be on your clothes and don't let him anywhere near the room. That can't be that hard to do, I taught my dog to stay out of the kitchen, and he doesn't go upstairs at all. If langar is going to be served, then just clean up where people will be eating and put your dog in another room. Simple as that
ok jee, thank you for your input. smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.