ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rehat

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Rehat
June 20, 2010 06:09PM
The other day I was talking to my brother about eating before rehras. I mentioned to him that a gursikh should not any food before doing a certain paht. He mentioned to me that I am a minority and a majority of Sikhs do not follow these old rehats. In the past , I have quoted many rehats and it seems many people question these rehats or don't seem bothered by them. Is this true that old rehats are insignificant in this modern world? Both bhai daya Singh ji and bhai nand lal say not to eat before doing certain paaht.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Rehat
June 20, 2010 06:29PM
lol... don't you ever give up veerjee? smiling smiley

some say do before dinner, others say do it at sunset. i do it at sunset. since i don't like to eat late at night, that means after dinner in summer, but usually before dinner in winter.

the old rehets contradict each other on many things. choose the one you want to follow and follow it. you can't follow them all. smiling smiley

waheguru is nirvair. as long as you're doing the paath, i seriously don't think it's anything to worry about. smiling smiley
June 20, 2010 08:15PM
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

VeerJee, obviously we should strive to follow as many of these puraatan rehats as possible (as long as they are per Gurmat traditions). But you must also realize that we do not all follow the same Rehat 100%. I think that in today's modern world, it's nearly impossible to implement all the rehats mentioned in all Rehatnaamey all the time. We must adhere first and foremost to the basic, fundamental rehats prescribed to us by the Panj Pyaarey at Amrit Sanchaar, and obviously the minimum rehat as outlined by Sri Akaal Takhat. Keeping other specific rehats above and beyond that is commendable and, in my opinion, desireable.

I agree that when we are free of restraints, I personally think one should recite Rehraas Sahib in the evening hours, just before sunset or as the sun is setting, then have dinner afterwards. But for those of us who are married, have children, work outside the home, and live grisht-jeevans, many examples come to mind where these time restrictions are difficult to adhere to. Regarding the above issue I can give you a personal example. In my work, I work 3 different types of shifts. Either 6am - 6pm, 4pm - 2 am, or 6pm to 6am. When I have the 4pm until 2 am shifts, the Rehraas Sahib question often arises. Since I don't really eat anything at work (except usually fruit), when should I have dinner and do paath? I usually always do paath before eating; I've always done this, even before taking Amrit. So I can either do Rehraas Sahib at around 3, then eat an early dinner, then go off to work. Or I can eat first, then do paath while driving to work. Or I can just take a chance and bring food with me, then do Rehraas Sahib as close the the evening time as possible, and hope to have time to eat afterwards... but most times there's no break in work until about midnight.

I have discussed this and other timing issues (like the specifics about Amritvelaa during my 6pm to 6am shifts) with local Panj, and I will continue to do as per their hukam. It's not always black and white as many may think.

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!
Tarnveer Singh
June 21, 2010 10:08AM
Gurbani says:

ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ||
I am so hungry, I cannot perform devotional worship service.
(Sorath Raag - Ang 656)

I think it depends the individual. Those who can stick to a routine are praiseworthy.

Generally it is nice to do Rehraas Sahib da Paath first and then have one's evening meal with the family. However, sometimes if you have come from work or college and feeling really hungry, I personally don't see the harm of eating and then doing Paath (it saves the mind from wandering around more than it already does for people like during Paath).

So, I think it depends on the individual. Some people eat their evening meal very early and other's eat late.
June 21, 2010 03:04PM
Tarnveer Singh Veer Ji and Manvir Singh Veer Ji I think you are right. It often depends on the persons situation. If a person is working odd hours or going to school it wouldnt be right to starve oneself. I think as long as we do some paath before eating then this pleases Guru. Even if its a short paaht like Chaupey Sahib that only take 5- 7 minutes.

In the past I use to recite Rehras Sahib extremely early ( 5pm) , so I could eat around 6pm which is not to late. I dont like to eat to late because then I have a harder time sleeping early . The reason I would recite Rehras Sahib before eating because Bhai Nand Lal mentions not to eat dinner before reciting Rehras, but I think perhaps Bhai Sahib is saying one should never eat unless they do some paaht. THe mention of Reharas Sahib is probably mentioned because that is usually the paaht we do in the evening. Maybe reciting paaht before eating makes the food medicine while not reciting paaht before eating makes the food poison.

Generally we do not eat breakfast before doing Panj Bania, and same with dinner we usually do REhras, but I think if ones schedule is awkward then its ok to eat dinner with out doing the specific paath of Rehras Sahib as long as one does some paaht then one is still abiding Gurmat Rehat Maryada.

There is a puratan rehatnama by Bhai Daya SIngh Ji which states to recite GurFateh before eating food. I think what Guru Ji is saying that one should recite some sort of Paaht before eating any food. Whenever we are finished reciting paaht we usually say Fateh after the last pangti. Perhaps thats why Guru Sahib says mentions one should say Fateh before eating food. It would seem awkward just to say fateh then eat food. So maybe its not so bad to recite Chaupey Sahib, or Anand Sahib, Kirtan Sohila, Shabad Hazarey ,etc before eating if ones circumstances does not permit them to follow the general schedule.

Thank you for the insights your responses have helped me understand many aspects of Gursikhi Jeevan and interpret rehatnamey more better.
September 14, 2010 09:31PM
Manvir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gurbani says:
>
> ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ||
> I am so hungry, I cannot perform devotional
> worship service.
> (Sorath Raag - Ang 656)
>
>
> I think it depends the individual. Those who can
> stick to a routine are praiseworthy.
>
> Generally it is nice to do Rehraas Sahib da Paath
> first and then have one's evening meal with the
> family. However, sometimes if you have come from
> work or college and feeling really hungry, I
> personally don't see the harm of eating and then
> doing Paath (it saves the mind from wandering
> around more than it already does for people like
> during Paath).
>
> So, I think it depends on the individual. Some
> people eat their evening meal very early and
> other's eat late.

Lately I have been thinking about the pangti quoted
ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ||

and to me its seems that Kabeer Ji is referring to "ritualistic fasting" practiced by Hindus, because in the proceeding pangti Bhagat Ji mentions he has given up the ritualistic worship of counting prayers through rosary beads. So I dont think its such a good idea to neglect rehat of eating before Paath due to some hungar. As Sikhs, we need to practice some type of sanjam. If we do get hungary we should use that hungar for Gurbani. There is overwhelming evidence through Gurbani and Rehatnamey that we should not eat before doing paath.
September 15, 2010 01:02AM
Jap Jaap Parey Bina Jo Seve Parsaad... So Vishta Ka Jant Hoye, Janam Gavavey Baad...

That says it all...
September 15, 2010 08:33AM
Gursikhs only refrain from eating before finishing their Amrit Wela abhiyaas as told in Amrit Sanchar. Because feeding Naam to the soul is a higher priority than feeding the body some food/water first, when a Gursikhs starts their day. This asool stands firmly for Amrit wela.
What Veer Manvir Singh ji has said is very accurate and as per Gurmat.
In the pangti, no where the issue of 'hindu fasting' is touched. Bhagat Kabeer ji is complaining to Vahiguroo in devotion for him to fulfill BHagat jee's basic needs in life to do Bhagti. As a matter of fact, Bhagat is complaining to Vahiguroo due to hunger for food, without which one cannot do bhagti.

ਰਾਗੁ ਸੋਰਠਿ ॥
Raag Sorat'h:

ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥
I am so hungry, I cannot perform devotional worship service.

ਯਹ ਮਾਲਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਲੀਜੈ ॥
Here, Lord, take back Your mala.

ਹਉ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਸੰਤਨ ਰੇਨਾ ॥
I beg for the dust of the feet of the Saints.

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਿਸੀ ਕਾ ਦੇਨਾ ॥੧॥
I do not owe anyone anything. ||1||

ਮਾਧੋ ਕੈਸੀ ਬਨੈ ਤੁਮ ਸੰਗੇ ॥
O Lord, how can I be with You?

ਆਪਿ ਨ ਦੇਹੁ ਤ ਲੇਵਉ ਮੰਗੇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
If You do not give me Yourself, then I shall beg until I get You. ||Pause||

ਦੁਇ ਸੇਰ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਚੂਨਾ ॥
I ask for two kilos of flour,

ਪਾਉ ਘੀਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਲੂਨਾ ॥
and half a pound of ghee, and salt.

ਅਧ ਸੇਰੁ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਦਾਲੇ ॥
I ask for a pound of beans,

ਮੋ ਕਉ ਦੋਨਉ ਵਖਤ ਜਿਵਾਲੇ ॥੨॥
which I shall eat twice a day. ||2||

ਖਾਟ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਚਉਪਾਈ ॥
I ask for a cot, with four legs,

ਸਿਰਹਾਨਾ ਅਵਰ ਤੁਲਾਈ ॥
and a pillow and mattress.

ਊਪਰ ਕਉ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਖੀਂਧਾ ॥
I ask for a quit to cover myself.

ਤੇਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਜਨੁ ਥੀਧਾ ॥੩॥
Your humble servant shall perform Your devotional worship service with love. ||3||

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੀਤਾ ਲਬੋ ॥
I have no greed;

ਇਕੁ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਮੈ ਫਬੋ ॥
Your Name is the only ornament I wish for.

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥
Says Kabeer, my mind is pleased and appeased;

ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਤਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੧੧॥
now that my mind is pleased and appeased, I have come to know the Lord. ||4||11||

Food is eaten to fuel the body and keep hunger away. It just doesn't matter of one take it before or after Sodar Chaunki.

What is the point of not eating food before rehraas sahib if one is hungry, if it will only make ones mind wander towards food when one is doing sri rehraas sahib?

Chota veer
September 15, 2010 11:08AM
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

ਗੁਰੂ ਸਵਾਰੇ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਜੀਉ,

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ॥ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Please ponder upon this Gurbani Tuk and in contrast to what Guru Sahib mentions above rehatnama just explains glimpse of it:

ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥ (ਪੰਨਾ 306)
Those who eat and dress (means enjoy materials) without serving to Satguru (here serving could means Naam and Bani), they remains in cycle of reincarnation and lives like lepers.

Daas feels these are Sakhat (hard) Bachans of Guru Sahib, may Guru Sahib bring us under His mercy to avoid such situations.

With Regards,
Daas
September 15, 2010 03:57PM
Bhai Jasjit Singh ji
Please ponder upon this Gurbani Tuk and in contrast to what Guru Sahib mentions above rehatnama just explains glimpse of it:

Those who eat and dress (means enjoy materials) without serving to Satguru (here serving could means Naam and Bani), they remains in cycle of reincarnation and lives like lepers.

Daas feels these are Sakhat (hard) Bachans of Guru Sahib, may Guru Sahib bring us under His mercy to avoid such situations.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਸਚੁ ਧਿਆਇਦੇ ਸੇ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਥੋੜੇ ॥
ਜੋ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ਇਕੁ ਅਰਾਧਦੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਖਾਹਿ ਅਸੰਖ ਕਰੋੜੇ ॥
ਤੁਧੁਨੋ ਸਭ ਧਿਆਇਦੀ ਸੇ ਥਾਇ ਪਏ ਜੋ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਲੋੜੇ ॥

ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥
ਓਇ ਹਾਜਰੁ ਮਿਠਾ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਵਿਸੁ ਕਢਹਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਘੋਲੇ ॥
ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟੇ ਦਯਿ ਵਿਛੋੜੇ ॥੧੧॥

Sri Guru ji seems to praise Gurmukhs in the first 3 lines and curse manmukhs in the last 3.

Chota veer
September 15, 2010 04:36PM
Das knows a great gursikh who is a tough naam abiassee guru ke Singh , not even his single saas is wasted without naam, and he is well known as Dr. Sahabh from dhariwal, many puratan singhs as well as jeevan wale Singh know about them.
By the grace of akal purakh daas whole life has been changed just due to the sangat of this diamond gursikh.

I have always seen Dr.Sahabh in immence naam jap

Now for the surprice of the sangat , daas have seen this gursikh doing rehras sometimes 3 AM at amritvela, doing sohila sometimes 6 in the morning . He used to say AMRIT SADA VARSADA BHAI. Such gursikhs sometimes are so imbued in naam , that they never realize or care about the time , that now is the perfect time to do this paath or to do this paath.

But u know, these r the rare and exceptional cases from dargah.
Aise gursikhan di dhur sada hi mildi Rahe , Balihaar, Balihaar,Balihaar

daas khima da jachak hai
September 15, 2010 05:18PM
piyasi chatrik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gursikhs only refrain from eating before finishing
> their Amrit Wela abhiyaas as told in Amrit
> Sanchar. Because feeding Naam to the soul is a
> higher priority than feeding the body some
> food/water first, when a Gursikhs starts their
> day. This asool stands firmly for Amrit wela.
> What Veer Manvir Singh ji has said is very
> accurate and as per Gurmat.
> In the pangti, no where the issue of 'hindu
> fasting' is touched. Bhagat Kabeer ji is
> complaining to Vahiguroo in devotion for him to
> fulfill BHagat jee's basic needs in life to do
> Bhagti. As a matter of fact, Bhagat is
> complaining to Vahiguroo due to hunger for food,
> without which one cannot do bhagti.
>
>
>
> Food is eaten to fuel the body and keep hunger
> away. It just doesn't matter of one take it before
> or after Sodar Chaunki.
>
> What is the point of not eating food before
> rehraas sahib if one is hungry, if it will only
> make ones mind wander towards food when one is
> doing sri rehraas sahib?

Because Gurbani is poetic we cant take every line as literal; when reading Gurbani we must read between the lines at times.
I feel that the the pangti previously mentioned
ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥

is referring to fasting done by the Hindus for the following reasons.

1. Fasting done by Muslims during Ramadan is done in moderation. One does not starve themselves so much that they cant do Bhagti.
2. Fasting by Hindus is so extreme that many people become so weak they eventually die. If one becomes so weak they turn into a skeleton they cant do Bhagti.

Thus I think BHagat Ji is saying that by being hungry( Depriving oneself from food for a long period) one can not perform devotional worship.

It is possible to perform Bhagti by depriving oneself food for 24hours and still perform Bhagti. Rainsubaees are examples in which GUrmukhs engage in Bhagti for long hours without food. Also, in the the old days before the Abhilakhees wanted Amrit they would have to sit through an entire Akhand Paath without food and drink so I think we cannot interpret the pangti
ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥

as one cannot perform Bhagti if they deprive themselves food for half a day or so. If we adopted such an interpretation then we would be liberalizing the standards of initiating Abhilakhees.

In the following Rehatnama, Guru Sahib has made clear the consequences of one who willingly eats without doing their daily prayers.

ਬਿਨਾ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੇ , ਜੋ ਜੇਵਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸੋ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਕਾ ਕਿਰਮ ਹੁਇ ਜਨਮ ਗਵਾਵੈ ਬਾਦ
One will lose their Sikhi birth and be born as a maggot if they eat without doing their daily prayers.

- Bhai Prahalad Rehatnama

Bhai Jasjit Singh Ji has provided a Gurbani Tuk that is similar to the Rehatnama above.

Its a habit for people to discredit rehatnamey but how can we deny a Gurbani Tuk from Sri Guru Granth Sahib JI?

If ones mind is wandering during Rehras Sahib because they have not ate for a short period ( 12 hours) then this is sign that the mind associates itself more with the body and less with the atma. Such a sign should be a motivation to do more paath. Rehras Sahib only takes around 1/2 hour to complete so why cant one just do the paaht and then eat?
September 15, 2010 07:32PM
Sukhdeep Singh veerji

I think that your interpretation of the shabad Bhookai bhagat na keejai is very flawed. I would recommend you first read the whole shabad and then come to a decision on what bhagat kabir jee is refering too.
September 16, 2010 10:13AM
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

ਪਿਆਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕ ਜੀਉ,

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ॥ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Chatrik jee wrote "Sri Guru ji seems toChatrik jee wrote praise Gurmukhs in the first 3 lines and curse manmukhs in the last 3."

ਖਿਮਾਂ ਕਰਨਾ ਦਾਸ ਨੇ ਆਲਸ ਵਰਤਿਆ ਤੇ ਉਪਰਲੀ ਪੰਕਤੀ “ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥” (ਪੰਨਾ 306) ਦੀ ਵਿਸਥਾਰ ਨਹੀ ਦੇ ਸਕਿਆ ਪਰ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਇਕ ਗੱਲ ਵੇਖੋ ਇਸ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਜਾਂ ਪੂਰੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਤੋਂ ਇਹ ਤਾਂ ਸਪਸ਼ਟ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਨੂੰ ਧਿਆਇਆਂ ਭਾਵ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਨਾਮ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਪਿਆ ਕੀਤਾ ਆਹਾਰ, ਵਿਵਹਾਰ ਤੇ ਆਚਾਰ ਸਭ ਧ੍ਰਿਗ ਹੀ ਹੈ। ਜਿਵੇਂ ਆਪਜੀ ਨੇ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੇ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਅੱਧ ਵਿਚ ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਜਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਵਿਸ਼ੇਸ਼ਤਾਈ ਦਰਸਾਈ ਗਈ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਮਗਰਲੇ ਅੱਧ ਵਿਚ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਦੀ ਊਣਤਾਈ ਬਿਆਨੀ ਹੈ। ਦਾਸ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਨਾਲ ਇਸ ਗਲ ਤੇ ਸਹਿਮਤ ਹੈ ਪਰ ਆਪਾਂ ਤੇ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਹੀ ਅੱਧ ਖਾਸਕਰ ਦਾਸ ਤੇ ਤਾਂ ਮਗਰਲਾ ਅੱਧ ਪੂਰੀ ਤਰਾਂ ਲਾਗੂ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਇਹ ਭੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਬਚਨ ਹੈ ਕਿ “ਪਰਥਾਇ ਸਾਖੀ ਮਹਾ ਪੁਰਖ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਸਾਝੀ ਸਗਲ ਜਹਾਨੈ ॥” (ਪੰਨਾ 647)। ਸੋ ਆਪਾਂ ਇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਖ ਸਕਦੇ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਦੂਸਰਾ ਹਿੱਸਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਹੈ ਸਾਡੇ ਤੇ ਲਾਗੂ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ।

ਜੋ ਸੇਵਾ ਦਾ ਜਿਕਰ ਉਪਰਲੀ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਵਿਚ ਆਇਆ ਹੈ ਉਸਨੂੰ ਹਥਲੀ ਪੰਕਤੀ ਅਤੇ ਪੂਰਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਪੂਰੀ ਤਰਾਂ ਬਿਆਨਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ‘ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ’ ਤੋਂ ਕੀ ਭਾਵ ਹੈ:
…ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਚਾਕਰੀ ਸਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ ॥ …ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਰਹੇ ਜਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਾ ਉਰ ਧਾਰਿ ॥10॥(ਪੰਨਾ 512)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਜਨ ਬਸ ਨਾਮ ਬਾਣੀ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਹੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਚਾਕਰੀ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਐਸੀ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ:

ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਜਨ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਬਸਿਓ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਨਾਹਿ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ (ਪੰਨਾ 979)

ਜਦ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਹੁਕਮਾਂ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਅੱਠੇ ਪਹਰ ਹੀ ਚਾਕਰੀ ਕਰੀ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਤਾਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਭਲਾ ਫੇਰ ਭੋਜਨ ਛਕਣ ਵੇਲੇ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਹੜੇ ਵਿਸ਼ੇਸ ਪਾਠ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਲੋੜ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਤਾਂ ਫਿਰ ਖਾਧਾ ਪੀਤਾ, ਪਹਿਨਿਆ ਸਭ ਪਵਿਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਦਾਂ ਹੈ ਯਥਾ:

ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਖਾਧਾ ਪੈਧਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਭੁ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਨਾਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਤੇ ॥ (ਪੰਨਾ 648)

ਹੁਣ ਇੰਨਾ ਸਪਸ਼ਟ ਰਹਿਤ ਦਾ ਹੁਕਮ ਅਤੇ ਬਰਕਤ ਹੁੰਦਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਦੀ ਲੋੜ ਹੀ ਨਹੀ ਭਾਸਦੀ। ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਉਪਰਲੇ ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਵਿਚਲੀ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪ ਪੜਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਹਦਾਇਤ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਵਾਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਕਰਵਾਉਣ ਮਾਤਰ ਹੀ ਜਾਪਦੀ ਹੈ ਨਾ ਕਿ ਇਸਨੂੰ ਅੱਖਰੀ ਅਰਥਾਂ ਤੱਕ ਹੀ ਜਾਨਣ ਵਾਸਤੇ। ਫਿਰ ਤਾਂ ਕਈ ਸਿੱਖ ਇਸ ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ ਦੀ ਬਿਨਾ ਤੇ ਇਹ ਭੀ ਆਖਣ ਲੱਗ ਜਾਣਗੇ ਕਿ ਬਸ ਦੋ ਟਾਈਮ ਲੰਗਰ ਛਕਣ ਵੇਲੇ ਜਪਜੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਤੇ ਜਾਪ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਪੜ ਲਉ ਬਾਕੀ 24 ਘੰਟੇ ਭਾਂਵੇ ਹੋਰ ਜੋ ਮਰਜ਼ੀ ਮਨਮਤ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਕਰੀ ਜਾਈਏ। ਜਾਂ ਸਿਰਫ ਲੰਗਰ ਛਕਣ ਵਖਤ ਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੂੰ ਯਾਦ ਕਰੋ ਬਾਕੀ ਸਮਾਂ ਲੋੜ ਨਹੀਂ ਇਤਿਆਦਿ, ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਨਿਤਨੇਮ ਦੀ ਜਰੂਰਤ ਨਹੀਂ, ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣ ਦੀ ਜਰੂਰਤ ਨਹੀਂ (ਇਹ ਤਾਂ ਆਖਣਾ ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਕਰ ਹੀ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ), ਅੱਠੇ ਪਹਰ ਜਪਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਹੁਣ ਸੁਪਨਤਰ ਵਿਚ ਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਆ ਸਕਦਾ ਸੋ “ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥” ਦੀ ਹਦਾਇਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਾਂ ਜਿਥੇ ਤੱਕ ਹੋ ਸਕੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਸਦਕਾ ਜਿਹਨ ਵਿਚ ਲਿਆਈਏ ਤਾਂ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਲੋਕ ਸੁਖੀਏ ਤੋ ਪਰਲੋਕ ਸੁਹੇਲੇ ਹੋ ਸਕਣ। ਕੀਟ ਦਾਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਭੀ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਕਰਨੀ ਕਿ ਆਪਣੇ ਲਿਖੇ ਹੋਏ ਤੇ ਤਾਂ ਘੱਟੋ ਘੱਟ ਚਲ ਸਕੇ। ਅਗਾਧ ਬੋਧ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਜਿਨੀ ਕੂ ਤੁਛ ਬੁੱਧੀ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਸਮਝ ਪਈ ਉਹ ਆਪਜੀ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ ਜੀ। ਦਾਸ ਦੀਆਂ ਭੁੱਲਾਂ ਦਾਸ ਦੀ ਝੋਲੀ ਪਾ ਦੇਣੀਆ।

ਗੁਰੂ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਭੌਰਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ,
ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ
September 16, 2010 01:18PM
I think in the Shabad ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ Bhagat Ji is stating a fact that without basic needs one cannot survive. So Bhagat Ji is asking Waheguru to always bless him so that he never runs out of these commodities (not that he did not have them when he composed the shabad). The reason is that without these one cannot survive physically so Bhagat Ji is saying that since he loves naam so much he always wants to be immersed in naam and in order to do that he needs to be physically alive otherwise he won’t be able to perform bhagtee. He is not setting condition that unless he is given everything he wants he won’t do bhagtee. Bhagat Ji is not complaining or asking out of greed but praying for bhagtee and naam abhiyaas to do which he needs to survive. Rest Guru Sahib knows.
September 18, 2010 06:59AM
Piarey Bhai Jasjit Singh singh jeo,

Bhai Jasjit SIngh ji
ਸੋ ਆਪਾਂ ਇਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਖ ਸਕਦੇ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਦੂਸਰਾ ਹਿੱਸਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਹੈ ਸਾਡੇ ਤੇ ਲਾਗੂ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ।
1.Dass did not meant to say in any way that this bachan of Sri Guru ji “ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥” does not aply on gursikhs. As a matter of fact, dass 100 % agrees with you have just said. The word "ਸੇਵੇ" literally means devoting ones mind to vahiguroo 24/7. Be it Nitnem, reading/ singing Gurbani, & immersing in Gurmat Naam's vibrations . The arths given by you:
Gurbani Arth
For that reason dass said, manmukhs who enjoy such material without Naam and Bani in their daily life seem to be cursed by Sri Guru ji.

While Sukhhdeep SIngh keeps insisting , that it bans one of consuming any food before Sri RehRaas Sahib. Which is untrue as the shabad also say refers to clothes as "ਪੈਨਦੇ". Does this mean a Gursikh can only wear fresh clothes only after doing ones Nitnem.

2.Over all Bhai Sahib ji, what you have explained was exactly the same in Chatriks minds. As the context of the shabad refers to the ''enjoying material pleasure in ones daily life without bhagti'' as opposed "before ones does their Sodar Chaunki".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veer Sukhdeep Singh ji,

ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ = Sri Jap Ji Sahib & Sri Jaaap Sahib
The other words in the shabad are pretty easy to understand.

Sri Jap Ji Sahib & Sri Jaaap Sahib are the first banis read by a Gursikh at Amritwela . This line clearly indicates that one should not take any food before finishing their morning abhiyaas. This is what is told in all Amrit Sanchars as far as dass in concerned. It clearly doesn't extend to Sri Rehraas Sahib.

Sukhdeep Singh
Its a habit for people to discredit rehatnamey but how can we deny a Gurbani Tuk from Sri Guru Granth Sahib JI?

1. If the wild comment above was directed at Dass, then all dass can say is that it very unfortunate that you jump into your own blind assumptions & conclusions on others.
2. You also seem to be less interested on discussing and more into debating with others. As anyone who happen to have a differing opinion than you usually ends up getting run over a bulldozer of your arguments. Which is again, very unfortunate. As Productive Gurmat veechars only happen when they are done with pyaar and in nimarta.

This will be Chatriks last post on this thread.

Moorakhpan di khimma...........

Chota veer
September 18, 2010 12:55PM
Whenever I respond on this thread or any other thread I never do with the intent of making other peoples statements seem insignificant. If I you feel uncomfortable by comments then forgive me. However, sometimes I feel some forum users here question basic rehat and try to bring doubts amongst sincere seekers. I do feel like its my duty to refute someone who is making claims without any evidence. What fruit would I bear in arguing with those that dont want to accept Guru Sahibs rehat? Im not concerned about what rehat Liberal Sikhs like to follow, but I feel like its my duty to inform sincere seekers about rules that they might not know about.

WHen I first took AMrit I broke a thousand rules because I did not know about such existing rules/hukums. For example, when I took Amrit panj pyaarey did not mention taking a cold shower, or washing kesh everyday. Had I known about these rehats It would have helped me greatly in my spiritual life. If you clearly read my last post you will see Im not debating but mere discussing the topic.

I previously quoted Gurbani pangti

as a means to explain one cannot eat before rehras. To me it seems common sense from this pangti that one cannot eat without doing their nithem. But I guess some people want a pangti that literally states one cannot eat without doing reharas.

So here it is

Bin Rehars Sandhiya jo Khaveh, Keertan parheh bin ren ju soveh, chuglee kar jo kar begareh, Drig tes Janam su Dharam Bisaareh

Bhai Nand Lal Ji mentions in this pangti cursed is the life who has forgotten their religious duty and eats before Rehras sleeps before Sohila , and does backbiting . Through Gurbani we know how bad chuglee is so I believe eating before Rehras greatly disappoints Guru Sahib . Why else would Guru Sahib put these vices together?

Our mind does not wander due to depriving oneself from food for a couple hours; instead, the mind wanders when one doesnt follow Guru Sahibs orders. My simple understanding is for us to recognize WaaheGurus jot we need to respect all his Hukums/rehat with a steady and obedient mind this way the filth of our mind is removed.

ਮਨੁ ਚੰਚਲੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਾਣੈ ॥
ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਮੈਲਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥
September 18, 2010 01:04PM
Bin Rehars Sandhiya jo Khaveh, Keertan parheh bin ren ju soveh

Veer Ji, is it Khaveh or Khoveh. Rhyming with Soveh also suggests that Khoveh is more likely the correct word.
September 18, 2010 01:52PM
Veer Ji you are right it is KHoveh not Khaaveh I must have accidently read the pangti wrong. I remember there is a rehatnama that states not to eat before Rehras when I find it I will post it. Bhai Daya Singh Ji says before eating one should say Fateh. It seems odd just to say Fateh and then eat. At the end doing our Nitnem ( panj Bania, Reharas, Kirtan Sohila) we always say Fateh. So I think this rehat can mean one cant eat without doing their nitnem.
September 18, 2010 05:59PM
Veer Ji this is not the rehatnama I was looking for but it mentions not eating before Rehras.

ਪ੍ਰਾਤਾ ਕਾਲ ਗੁਰ ਗੀਤ ਨ ਗਾਵੈ। ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੈ।ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ। ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਜਗ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੇ।

He who does not sing Gurbani in the early hours, and eats without reciting Rehras will remain lost in the cycle of birth and death over and over.

- Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login