ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aunty ji or Bibi ji?

Posted by Vichaar Singh 
Aunty ji or Bibi ji?
January 10, 2010 02:51PM
what do you call your friend's mom and dad? don't feel like calling them uncle and aunty. what should one call them according to Sikhi? uncle aunty sounds too western.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Aunty ji or Bibi ji?
January 11, 2010 07:52AM
I personally never call anyone Uncle or Aunty. I address a Gursikh younger than me by his name and older one as Bhai Sahib and very senior Gurmukhs as Bapu jee. Same to Sikh women I address as Bhain jee or Bibi jee depending on their age. My children too are discouraged to call older Singhs Uncle jee. I have taught them to call them Bhai Sahib or Baba jee or Bapu jee depending on their age and status. The problem is with senior Sikh women? If my children call them Bibi jee, some of them get offended. So they sometimes call them Aunti jee or just avoid saying anything at all.

Kulbir Singh
January 11, 2010 09:45AM
Personally I feel more comfortable saying Bhai Sahib or Baba Ji, but like Bhai Sahib mentioned some people get offended. Middle age Singhs sometimes get offended If I call them Bhai Sahib or Baba Ji so I call them uncle Ji and call women Auntee Jee. If you dont like saying Auntee Ji because its to westernized then you can say Puaji, Massi Ji, or Mata Ji.
January 11, 2010 11:57AM
i usually call women my parents' age bhenji. if they're older, i like mata ji, because it sounds more respectful to me. of course, i'm american, so i could be way off base. smiling smiley but guru gobind singh sahib ji said all women are our mothers, sisters, daughters. all men are fathers, brothers, and sons. so i try to call them as such. smiling smiley
January 12, 2010 10:51AM
Usually will refer to them as Veer jee and Phen ji....
Dass reserves the 'Bhai Sahib' title only for dedicated beloved Sikhs Guru Ji(regardless of age)...
otherwise, dass calls regular elder gursikhs than me as Singh Ji....
If older, I will use Mata ji(also for respectable gursikh elder bibian) and Uncle ji....

I use to call my cousin sisters as Phen ji....they got annoyed and told me to call them by their name....

Chota veer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login