ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what is kirtan?

Posted by JaspreetSingh 
what is kirtan?
June 03, 2010 06:12PM
WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa ll WaheGuruJiKiFateh ll

now i know many of this forum, like me, dont actually do kirtan. but it appears to me that the real meaning of the word "kirtan" is something else in gurmat than what we usually perceive it to be. i once read somewhere in some book that the meaning of the word kirtan is "the singing of gurbaani with musical insutruments". to me this translation did not seem right. really the real meaning of the word "kirtan" is wahegurujis "sift-salaah"--his praise day and night through the Naad u hear inside u. constantly the word(gurbaani) plays inside you, keeps going, which makes the Khanda keep going, is kirtan.

Gurmukh Naad Bedh Bichaar ll (Dakhni Onkaar)

the gurmukh day and night does vichaar on baani, and here "bedh bichaar" does not mean some other text, really it means gurbaani. so thru Naad, the gurmukh understands Baani, understands what is vaheguru, who is he. Day and night the gurmukh stays in the avastha of forever thanking, praising vaheguruji by japping Naam.

KalJug Meh Kirtan Pardhaanaa ll Gurmukh Japiai Lai Dheaanaa ll

if the meaning of kirtan is singing baani on waja, than those gurmukhs who dont do this, are they going to hell? no of course not. really the real meaning of the above pankti means that in kaljug, it is only the worship of vaheguruji that will save you, and the next answers that how. by forever chanting waheguru's name on your tongue.

Kirtan Nirmolak Hira ll Aanand Guni Gahiraa ll

here guruji has praised kirtan the most praise it could ever get. it is a precious diamond. by being forever dedicated/commited in the service of the waheguru, you forever remain in "Aanand"(bliss).

in fact, kirtan is such a vast topic in gurmat that we can sit down and keep discussing on this, but really we wont really come to a conclusion. because kirtan is an avastha, kirtan is the Naad of gurbaani you hear, while sitting, standing, talking, working, sleeping. kirtan is waheguruji's praise day and night. kirtan is that avastha when you are in total doubt, and a random pankti of gurbaani just pops in ur head, and removes all doubts. kirtan is that spiritual guidance which makes you strong in faith, meaning Sikhi. kirtan is that shakti(power) which charges you up when you feel no one is by your side. kirtan is the sachi sift-salaah. kirtan connects you to Sacha Patshaah. this is what i think the real meaning of kirtan is. correct me if im wrong.

WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa ll WaheGuruJiKiFateh ll
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: what is kirtan?
June 03, 2010 08:52PM
smiling smiley
I agree
June 04, 2010 08:22AM

really the real meaning of the word "kirtan" is wahegurujis "sift-salaah"--his praise day and night through the Naad u hear inside u. constantly the word(gurbaani) plays inside you, keeps going, which makes the Khanda keep going, is kirtan.

Excellent points by Jaspreet Singh, that Kirtan really means Sifat-Salaah of Vaheguru and this Sifat-Salaah can be done without musical instruments as well. But his praise is not limited to "Naad" that we hear inside. For seekers who are still of ordinary spiritual state, it is not mandatory to do Sifat Salaah only through the Naad you hear inside. The Naad you hear inside is the Sifat-Salaah that is going on in Sachkhand and very few fortunate ones can hear it. Singing Gurbani with musical instruments too is Kirtan and probably it is the most uplifting means available to seekers of Vaheguru. Through Kirtan of Gurbani, Naam too starts getting chanted. While living here, the utmost way of Sifat-Salaah is through Gurbani and Naam.

Singing Gurbani is easier done with musical instruments than otherwise but of course those of us who can't do Kirtan with musical instruments, doing paath in Tarannum too qualifies as Kirtan.

Kulbir Singh
June 04, 2010 12:21PM
ਤਹਾ ਬੈਕੁੰਠੁ ਜਹ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਸਰਧਾ ਲਾਇਹਿ ॥੨॥

That place is heaven, where the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises are sung. You Yourself instill faith into us. ||2||
June 07, 2010 04:19PM
ALL Gursikhs can do kirtan but not all Gursikhs can play the waja!

Whenever I ask this question in our local sangat " who can do kirtan?" only a few hands go up, then I ask "who can play the waja?" and the same hands go up. Then the sangat realize the difference between the two.

Some people can sing with such wonderful notes that they require no instrument to accompany them. They are gifted who can sing The Lord's praises!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login