ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

persian view of sikhs

Posted by 1kaur 
persian view of sikhs
June 03, 2010 12:03PM
a brief sketch of the Sikhs by Persian writer Sujan Rai Bhandari, circa 1696, translated by Iqbal Hussain:

To be brief, among the followers of Baba Nanak there are many mystics, discoursers, ascetics, and prayerful men. The essence of the worship of this sect is the reading of the verses of their Guru, which they sing with instrumental and vocal music, and with a heart-ravishing chant. They remove from one's mind the anguish caused by worldly attachments and lift the obscuring veil of impediments from the heart. In their eyes, kinsmen and strangers are alike, friends and enemies are the same. They are wholly one with their friends and do not quarrel with their enemies. The faith which this sect has of it's leader is seldom seen in other sects. In the name of their Guru, which they continuously have on their tongue, they consider it a great act of worship to attend on travelers. If a person arrives at midnight, and takes the name of Baba Nanak, though he be a stranger and an unknown person, even a thief, robber, or person of evil conduct, they treat him as brother and friend and serve him in a manner proper to his needs.

from the book "Sikh History from Persian Sources", J.S. Grewal & Irfan Habib

the book has some amazing, eye-witness accounts of Sikh history, something that's sorely missing from Sikh sources. Their views of Guru Nanak Dev ji are unanimously positive and admiring. In fact, their writing on all of the Sikh Gurus are surprisingly positive.

i'll post more as i get time.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This writing shows that love Sikhs had for each other and Shardha they had for Guru Sahib. They were willing to even die at the name of Guru Sahib. It is good to see a Persian writer confirming this.

Bhain jeeo, please share more Gurmat passages from the book you mentioned.

Kulbir Singh
Re: persian view of sikhs
June 03, 2010 03:46PM
a few short excerpts from Dhabistan-i Mazahib, 1645:

To be brief, Nanak took to severe austerities, and first of all reduced his food. After some time, he contented himself with drinking a little of cow's milk; then, he took only ghee; then, only water. Finally, he only swallowed air... (i take this to mean he lived on Naam alone)

Many persons became his disciples. Nanak velieved in the oneness of god and in the way that it is asserted in Muhammadan theology. He also believed in transmigration of the souls. Holding wine and pork to be unlawful, he abandoned eating meat. He decreed avoidance of causing harm to animals...

I did not see any Sikh who did not consider Baba Nanak to be God...

To be brief, Nanak's followers scorn images. Their belief is that all Gurus are Nanak. They do not recite the mantras of Hindus and do not pay respect to idol-temples. They do not count the avatars for anything. They do not have attachment to Sanskrit, which the Hindus call the language of angels.

(the author speaking of Guru Hargobind Sahib) From one Sikh named Sadh, I heard that a man in battle swung his sword towards the Guru. The Guru, turning to him, told the swordsman: "One does not wield the sword like this. This is how one strikes!" - and with that stroke, he finished off the foe. One of the Guru's companions asked this writer, "What is the reason that the Guru, while giving the stroke, said, "this is how one strikes!"? I replied, "It seems to me that the Guru's striking with the sword was only by way of instruction, since an instructor is called Guru; it was not by way of anger that he said so, since that would be unworthy."

(speaking of Guru Hargobind Sahib's antim sanskar) When his body was put upon the firewood and the pyre was lighted, and the flames rose, Raja Ram, by name, a Rajput, threw himself into the fire: he walked a few steps through the fire in order to reach the Guru's feet, and put his own head upon the soles of his feet and did not move, till his life became extinct.

From Guru Hargobind, a Sikh enquired, "When at a distance, how do I find the Guru?" He replied, "Every Sikh, who saying Wahi Guru, comes to your house, regard him as the Guru."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login