ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Purpose of "asankh moorakh..."

Posted by Theguptone 
Gurfateh

After having a read of prof sahib singh teeka I understand the purpose of the Asankh jap asankh bhao... is to think about Vaheguru Ji's creative power, an then realise that we cannot sacrifice ourselves to him even once, let alone talk about his creative power, however I still do not understand the purpose of the bani starting "Asankh moorakh andh ghor", please can Gursikhs share what is the meaning of these lines?
Thank you
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

After having a read of prof sahib singh teeka I understand the purpose of the Asankh jap asankh bhao... is to think about Vaheguru Ji's creative power, an then realise that we cannot sacrifice ourselves to him even once, let alone talk about his creative power, however I still do not understand the purpose of the bani starting "Asankh moorakh andh ghor", please can Gursikhs share what is the meaning of these lines?

In Pauris 17 and 18, people engaged in different activities and actions have been listed. In Pauri 17 mostly people doing good work are listed and in Pauri 18 people engaged in sinful activities are listed. These people are all Moorakhs and this is why this Pauri begins with Moorakhs of extreme nature. Some Vidvaans believe that here three kinds of Moorakhs - Moorakhs, Andh Moorakhs and Ghor Moorakhs - are listed. The Andh Moorakhs are one level more Moorakh than normal Moorakhs and Ghor Moorakhs are extremely Moorakh people. Then ungrateful, murderers, slanderers, sinners, liars etc. are listed. The amazing thing is that Siri Guru jee listed Himself in this Pauri as well by saying - ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨੀਚੁ, ਕਹੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥. Dhan Satguru!

Kulbir Singh
Chatrik remembers reading this somewhere. BHai Kulbir SIngji pleasesmiling smiley correct Chatrik if he is wrong.

there is a term called Moorakh in Gurbani along with others.Such as Maha-Morakh, Mugadh, G'war...Reading Gurbani these term too come in Gurbani.

4 Moorakh = 1 Maha-morakh
4 Maha-morakh = 1 Mugadh
4 Mugadh = 1 G'war

In this pangti the word G'wara(root word it G'war) comes.

ਹਰਿਕਾਨਾਮੁਨਜਪਸਿਗਵਾਰਾ
ਕਿਆਸੋਚਹਿਬਾਰੰਬਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Someone who doesn't Jaap Naam has been called extremely stupid by Satguroo ji here.

Chota veer
thank you ji, I did not know about these categories,but what I want to know is what are we meant to learn from these pauris by reading who the sinful people are?
Countless spiritual lessons can be learned from this Pauri, depending on our spiritual state. This is what has come to the mind at this moment, about this Pauri:

1. Gurbani is the medicine and the required Gyaan to attain true Gurmat Salvation. Whatever Gyaan we need, that has been put in Gurbani by Guru Sahib and we should devour it voraciously, without questioning why we are given this Gyaan. Just devour it!

2. In this Pauri important lessons are learned e.g. The Nindaks do Ninda and incur burden of others on themselves.

3. Another notion to learn is that this is the Pauri of sinners and we can learn that we should not doing any such Karma that make include us in this Pauri - we should not be liars, slanderers, murderers etc.

4. This Pauri teaches us to be humble. Siri Guru jee is the Master of Universe, yet out of humility included Himself in the Pauri of sinners.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
thanks Bhai Sahib ji for your help, that makes sense
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login