ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the unexpected

Posted by 1kaur 
the unexpected
May 24, 2010 04:07PM
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦਰੀਆਵੈ ਕੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਬਗੁਲਾ ਬੈਠਾ ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇ ॥
Fareed, the crane perches on the river bank, playing joyfully.

ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇਦੇ ਹੰਝ ਨੋ ਅਚਿੰਤੇ ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ॥
While it is playing, a hawk suddenly pounces on it.

ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਰਬ ਦੇ ਕੇਲਾਂ ਵਿਸਰੀਆਂ ॥
When the Hawk of God attacks, playful sport is forgotten.

ਜੋ ਮਨਿ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਚੇਤੇ ਸਨਿ ਸੋ ਗਾਲੀ ਰਬ ਕੀਆਂ ॥੯੯॥
God does what is not expected or even considered. ||99||
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: the unexpected
May 24, 2010 07:18PM
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Daas hopes every thing is alright and the above Shabad is posted just for routine vichaar??? Even so in above situations Guru Sahib also says:

ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਭਾਣਾ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਪਾਰਿ ਲੰਘਾਇ ॥
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੀ ਹਰਿ ਧੂੜਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਹਮ ਪਾਪੀ ਭੀ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਂਹਿ ॥
ਧੁਰਿ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਆਇ ॥
ਜਮਕੰਕਰ ਮਾਰਿ ਬਿਦਾਰਿਅਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਲਏ ਛਡਾਇ ॥
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਨੋ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਤੁਠਾ ਮੇਲਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥੨੭॥

The disciples of the Guru accept the Lord's will and the perfect Guru ferries them across. O God, bless me with the dust of the feet of the Guru's disciples, that, I, a sinner, may also be emancipated. They, on whose forehead the Lord God has so pre-ordained, them, come to meet Nanak, the Guru. The Guru beats and drives away the couriers of death and rescues them in the Lord's court. Blessed are the Guru's Sikhs, whom the Lord unites in His union, through His pleasure.

With Regards,
Daas
May 24, 2010 08:06PM
thanks veerjee, everything is fine. i never realized it might seem otherwise. smiling smiley

i was reading baba fareed jee's bani today and really appreciated this shabad. especially the last line:

it seems really important to remember, and thought provoking imagery to remind us. lately it seems there's one disaster after another... earthquakes, storms, plane crashes, etc. we can never know what will happen next. we have to remember that and do simran today, because tomorrow you never know what might happen.
May 25, 2010 10:47AM

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦਰੀਆਵੈ ਕੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਬਗੁਲਾ ਬੈਠਾ ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇ ॥
Fareed, the crane perches on the river bank, playing joyfully.
ਕੇਲ ਕਰੇਦੇ ਹੰਝ ਨੋ ਅਚਿੰਤੇ ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ॥
While it is playing, a hawk suddenly pounces on it.
ਬਾਜ ਪਏ ਤਿਸੁ ਰਬ ਦੇ ਕੇਲਾਂ ਵਿਸਰੀਆਂ ॥
When the Hawk of God attacks, playful sport is forgotten.

The word Baaz in the above Pankitis is plural but the English meanings are assuming it as singular. The falcons or Baaz in these pankitis represent Jammdoots who pounce upon the Jeev that is indulged in Maya. The time of death is imminent and will arrive for sure but no one knows when it will arrive. For this reason Guru Sahib has instructed us to chant Naam all the time.

Thanks Bhain jeeo for bringing up this Salok for Vichaar. Baba Farid jee's Baani particularly strikes people with Punjabi background because it is in pure rural Punjabi.

Kulbir Singh
May 25, 2010 04:27PM
How does one determine if Baaz is plural or singular. If it was plural wouldnt there be a kanna?

This thread reminded me of an incident after work today. While I was driving home a hawk flew extremely close to my window. I guess death is after me,lol
May 25, 2010 08:35PM

How does one determine if Baaz is plural or singular. If it was plural wouldnt there be a kanna?

The presence of verb ਪਏ proves that Baaz is plural. Secondly, there is no aunkad in the end of Baaz; this too proves that it is a plural noun.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login