ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rehat Poem

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Rehat Poem
May 21, 2010 06:59PM
On a different thread MB Singh Veer Ji suggest a good idea. He mentioned we should collectively write a poem. I think it would a very good and enlightening project if we instead could collect puratan rehatnamey by Sri Dasmesh Pita Ji and put them together to make them rhyme. For example we can use a a rehanama by Bhai Daya Singh Ji and put it together with a rehatnama of Bhai Prahlad Singh Ji etc. . If anyone makes a mistake in translation then feel free to correct them. Also feel free to discuss the rehatnamey. Making rehatnamey rhyme is a good way to memorize numerous Rehats from various authors.

I will start the poem.

Authors in order
Bhai Daya Singh Ji _
Bhai Desa Singh Ji-

Original Pangti
ਹਮਾਰੇ ਕੋ ਭੇਖ ਬਰਣ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਹੀ, ਰਹਨੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਹੈ
ਰਹਿਤ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਮੁਝ ਕਉ ਸਿਖ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਾਹਿ ।

Translataion

1. I dont not love the Sikh who outwardly disguises himself as a Sikh. I love the the Sikh that follows rehat -

2. I love that Sikh who follows Khalsa rehat, I dont love that Sikh who has not committed himself to the conduct.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Rehat Poem
May 22, 2010 03:26PM
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ, ਚੰਡੀ ਕੰਠ ਸੁਧਾਰਿ । - Bhai Daya Singh JI

ਬੋਲਿਆ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ, ਕਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਰਤਾਰ- Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji

- After Panj Bania recite Sri Akal Ustat and Chandi Di Var through memory

- Thus the perfect True Guru Spoke " bow ( show respects ) to the Creator!"

Thoughts- I have there are a few Singhs like Maskeen Ji and Bhai Randhir Singh Ji who added Sri Akal UStat in their morning Nitnem. I have also heard that Sant Baba Harnam SIngh Ji use to recite Chandi Di Vaar everyday, but I find this difficult to recite both Sri Akal UStat and Chandi Di Vaar currently, since it takes me 2 hours to recite Sri Akal UStat hopefully one day Guru Sahib will bless das with this bani. However, I hope I still can at least add Chandi Di Vaar in Nitnem. It currently takes along time to recite Panj Bania so I will have to speed up these banis so I can conclude with Chandi Di Vaar.

ਹਮਾਰੇ ਕੋ ਭੇਖ ਬਰਣ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਹੀ, ਰਹਨੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਹੈ
ਰਹਿਤ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਮੁਝ ਕਉ ਸਿਖ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਾਹਿ ।

ਬੋਲਿਆ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ, ਕਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਰਤਾਰ
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ, ਚੰਡੀ ਕੰਠ ਸੁਧਾਰਿ ।
May 22, 2010 04:45PM
Beautiful contributions Veer Sukhdeep Singh jeeo. Please continue to shower us with the divine showerings of Hukams.

Kulbir Singh
May 22, 2010 05:14PM
Veer Ji this is suppose to be a joint effort. I am only a rookie Singh who does not know much about rehat. I hope you and other Senior Singhs can contribute. Also, I like the way you called these Hukums of Guru Sahib as divine showers . Guru Sahibs hukums are truly divine showers of Amritsmiling smiley
May 22, 2010 08:23PM
Param Sumarg ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਨਟਕ, ਹੋਰ ਬਾਣੀ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਕੀ. ਹੋਰਨਾਂ ਪਾਤਸਿਾਹੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਹੋਵੇ ਸੋ ਪੜੈ

Bhai Desa Singh Ji ਦੁਹੂੰ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਮੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਈ। ਚੁਨ ਚੁਨ ਕੰਠ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਤ ਸੋਈ'। ਸਨਮੁਖ ਲਰੈ ਨ ਰਣ ਤੇ ਭਾਗੈ

ਕਛ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਨ ਕਬਹੂ ਤਿਆਗੈ

During Rehras when all work is complete, recite Bachitar Natak and other banis from this granth. Recite whatever Banis belonging to the 10 Gurus.

Everyday, pick and memorize the banis of the two Granths.
When fighting, a Gurmukh never runs from the battlfield.
Never be without panj Kakkars.

Thoughts- Sri Akal Takht has given us the standard length of Rehras Sahib . This is the bare minimum that a Gursikh must commit to. However, one should strive to read more and more bani and not just do the bare minimum. For this reason I have always enjoyed the Nanaksar , Taksali and Nihang Singh version of Rehras because it includes pauris from Bachitar Natak.
June 05, 2010 02:02PM
ਕੰਘਾ, ਕਰਦ, ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਜਾਵੈ। ਇਹੀ ਰਹਤ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਸੋ ਭਾਵੈ। ()
ਪਾਗ ਉਤਾਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੇ, ਸੋ ਸਿੱਖ ਕੁੰਭੀ ਨਰਕ ਸਿਧਾਵੈ। (ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮਾ ਭਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ)

ਕੱਛਾ ਲਾਹਿ ਕਰਿ ਰਾਤੀਂ ਨੰਗਾ ਸਵੇ, ਸੋ ਭੀ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ।
ਪੱਕਾ ਤਨਖਾਹ, ਜੋ ਉਤਾਰੇ ਦੋ ਟਕੇ ਪੱਕਾ। ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮਾ ਭਾਈ ਦਯਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ

ਕਛ ਕੜਾ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਕੰਘਾ ਕੇਸਕੀ, ਇਹ ਪੰਜ ਕਕਾਰੀ ਰਹਿਤ ਧਾਰੇ ਸਿੱਖ ਸੋਈ।
ਕੰਘਾ ਦੋਨਉ ਵਕਤ ਕਰ, ਪਾਗ ਚੁਨਹਿ ਕਰ ਬਾਂਧਈ।

1. Decorate one body with Kangha , Kirpan, and Dastar. Such rehatvan Singhs become pleasing to the GUru.
Bhai Desa Singh Ji- note above rehatnama can also be translated as Decorate the Dastar with kanga and shaster.

2. Those who remove their dastar and eat will go to hell.- Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji

3. Those whom have relations with their spouse and remove their Kayshera are apostates.- Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji
4. He is a for sure apostate if he removes the dastar from his head.- Bhai Daya SIngh Ji

5. Kasheyra, Karha, Kipan, Kangha, Keski . These are the five Kakkars those that keep these 5 articles of faith are my Sikh. Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji

6. Each day comb your kesh twice with a Kanga, and every die tie your turban to cover your kesh. Bhai Nand Lal Ji

THe above ancient rehatnamey are a strong indication that the Panj Kakkars must stay on a Sikh at all times. If for whatever reason Panj Pyaarey did not mention to keep Dastar at all times one should still take the initiative to fulfill Guru Sahibs Hukum. Keeping Kesh is not enough for a GurMukh. Kesh is of paramount importance. One must wash the holy kesh every day . Also, as mentioned in the rehatnamey above one must comb the kesh twice a day and keep it covered with a Dastar. To even sleep, take a shower or eat without the 5 kakkars one becomes an apostate. Can we even bare the thought of engaging in such activities knowing they will break us from our beloved.

We keep the Kakkars as they are the angs ( limbs ) of Guru Sahib. Would we dare remove a limb of Guru Sahib. It would be like chopping a finger off Guru Sahib. What beadbi!These Panj Kakkars are given to us for a reason. Guru Sahib gave us these as Weapons so we do not lose the fight to the Panj Kakkars.

There is strong evidence indicating that these 5 weapons are Kirpan, Keski, Kangha, Karha, and Kasheyra.
Guru Sahib says

ਪੰਜ ਸ਼੍ਰਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਰ ਦੇਹ ਪੈ, ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਗਾਤ੍ਰ ਰਾਖ

PLACE the the 5 weapons on your body, but of these 5 Weapons keep the Kirpan on a Gatra.

It is clear that 4 of the kakkars must be physically touching the skin of the body at all times. Kesh is part of the body so how can we place it on the body? Again these 5 weapons should be kept to battle the 5 .Keeping the five and applying them to our daily life is a great upliftment on the path of Bhagti. They all aid in battling the Panj Doot.When we forget Guru Sahib is close at hand the Panj Doot attack us. But when we know Guru Sahib is in our presence they cant phase us. Guru Sahib stays at our presence and we becoming pleasing to him as long as we keep the Panj Kakkars and apply them in our daily life.

For example, the rehatnama previously mentioned

ਕੱਛਾ ਲਾਹਿ ਕਰਿ ਰਾਤੀਂ ਨੰਗਾ ਸਵੇ, ਸੋ ਭੀ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ।
3. Those whom have relations with their spouse and remove their Kayshera are apostates.- Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji

Teaches us how the gain contentment and battle the doot of lust. The rehatnama motivates to have modest relations with ones spouse. The actions that encourage contentment are the greatest to engage in.

Hopefully in the next set of rehatnamey we can discuss the outer rehat which help keeps contentment ( santokh) a major quality needed to engage in Bhagti.
June 05, 2010 09:55PM
sukhdeep singh
There is strong evidence indicating that these 5 weapons are Kirpan, Keski, Kangha, Karha, and Kasheyra.
Guru Sahib says

ਪੰਜ ਸ਼੍ਰਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਰ ਦੇਹ ਪੈ, ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਗਾਤ੍ਰ ਰਾਖ

PLACE the the 5 weapons on your body, but of these 5 Weapons keep the Kirpan on a Gatra.

so panj shastar = panj kakkar? i thought guru sahib was telling us to be physically armed with shastars?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login