ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'sat sangat' 'sadh sangat' Who?

Posted by Vaheguru 
Can we please discuss what is meant by 'sat sangat' and 'sadh sangat'?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Very interesting question "Vaheguru" jeeo.

Sat-Sangat - Here the word Sat is the adjective of noun Sangat and the meaning is Sachee Sangat i.e. the true Sangat.

Sadh-Sangat - Here as far as this Daas understands, both words are nouns and the meaning is Sadh di Sangat i.e. Guru-roopi Sadh dee Sangat i.e. the congregation of Gurmukhs of Sadhu-Satguru.

Sadh-Sangat, depending on the context and how it is placed in a Pankiti can also mean the Sangat or company of a Sadhu.

Kulbir Singh
In the 7th Ashtpadi, Guru Sahib is talking of benefits and greatness of doing Sangat of Sadhu (Guru Sahib) and not directly talking about Satsangat or Sadhsangat (congregation).

Kulbir Singh
How can we tell if the pangtee is referring to The Sadhu (Guru Jee) or Sadhus (Holy people, Gurmukhs)? Like the pangtee "char padarth je ko maagai, saadh janaa kee seva lagai" is translated to mean doing seva of Gurmukhs plural, but Bhai Sahib has stated above 7th Ashtpadi is all about The Sadhu (Guru Jee) singular? Is there any easy way to work out which is which?

Another example of what I mean:

santh janaa mil har jas gaaeiou |
Meeting with the humble Saints, sing the Praises of the Lord.

saadh janaa mil har jas gaaeeai |1| rehaao |
Meeting the Holy Saint, sing the Praises of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

1st is saying plural referring to the Gursikhs, 2nd is singular referring to the Guru?

Like the pangtee "char padarth je ko maagai, saadh janaa kee seva lagai" is translated to mean doing seva of Gurmukhs plural, but Bhai Sahib has stated above 7th Ashtpadi is all about The Sadhu (Guru Jee) singular? Is there any easy way to work out which is which?

The Pankiti you quoted is part of 3rd Ashtpadi of Siri Sukhmani Sahib here indeed the word "Sadh-Jana" is a plural and means Sangat of Sadhus or Sadh-Jan. Having said that, it should be noted that even if the word Sant or Sadh is a plural, it could still mean Guru Sahib because in Gurbani many times plural nouns or verbs are used for Guru Sahib and Vaheguru, out of respect. In everyday Punjabi, Hindi or Urdu too, elders and respectable people are referred to as plural, out of respect for them. The same concept is used in Gurbani as well.

The simple rule to remember is that where the Upma (praise) of Sadhu, Sant, or Bhagat is of the same level as Guru Sahib, it should be assumed that there, these words are used for Guru Sahib. If the Pankiti is talking of Sant giving Naam or Mukti, it should be assumed that Sant there means Guru. If there is an Updesh (Hukam) for Sants, it should be assumed that Sant there means Gursikhs. The 9th Pauri of Siri Anand Sahib is an example where the word "Sant" has been used for Gursikhs.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh
In GurBaani it says:

Saadh Sang Jin Payeaa, Sayee Wadbhaage ll
(those who receive the company of Saadh Sangat, the holy individuals, are truly fortunate ones.)

Bin Bhaagaan Sat Sang Naa Labhai, Bin Sangat Mail Bhrijai Jeeo ll

Saadh Sang Kaisi Jaaniai, Jithai Iko Naam Vakhaania ll
Thanks Bhai Sahib, I will try and look closely at the different pangtees with sant, sadh etc to try and see which is which. I think it's a bit tricky though for moorakh like me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login