ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਨੀਲੀ ਪੱਗ ਤੇ ਹੰਦੇ, ਗੁਰੂ ਵੀ ਨਿਸਾਰ ਜੀ।

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Thought about Dastaar and Dastaardhaari today and came up with these humble words about Dastaar and Dastaardhaari:

ਬੜੀ ਸੋਹਣੀ ਲਗਦੀ ਹੈ, ਖਾਲਸੇ ਦੀ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਜੀ।
ਸਭ ਲਈ ਹੈ ਲਾਜ਼ਮੀ, ਮਰਦ ਹੋਵੇ ਜਾਂ ਨਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਮੁੱਖ ਨਾਮ ਚਿੱਤ ਜੁੱਧ, ਵਾਹ ਵਾਹ ਓ ਖਾਲਸਾ,
ਦਸਤਾਰਧਾਰੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਸਦਾ, ਜੰਗ ਲਈ ਤਿਆਰ ਜੀ।

ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਖੁਮਾਰੀ ਤੇ ਬਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਵਿਸਮਾਦ ਚ,
ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਕੋਈ, ਕਰਦਾ ਨਾ ਗੁਫਤਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸੀਸ ਫੱਬੇ ਜੇ ਨਾਮ ਵੀ ਪੱਲੇ ਹੋਵੇ,
ਬੱਸ ਕਹੀ ਚਲ ਮੁਖੋਂ, ਨਾਮ ਬਾਰੋ ਬਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਹੋਰ ਰੰਗ ਵੀ ਬਹੁਤ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਨੇ ਬੇਸ਼ਕ ਪਰ,
ਨੀਲੀ ਪੱਗ ਤੇ ਹੰਦੇ, ਗੁਰੂ ਵੀ ਨਿਸਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਦੋਸਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਾਨ ਪਰ ਰਕੀਬਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਲਗੇ ਕਿ
ਤਪੋਬਨੀ ਦੀ ਪੱਗ ਹੈ ਸ਼ੋਅਲਾ ਤੇ ਸ਼ਰਾਰ ਜੀ।

Difficult words:

ਖੁਮਾਰੀ - Intoxication, Mastee
ਗੁਫਤਾਰ - Talk
ਨਿਸਾਰ - Kurbaan, Balihaar, Sacrifice
ਸ਼ੋਅਲਾ / ਸ਼ਰਾਰ - Fire / fire spark

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
nice poem veer JI smiling smiley

Ive been thinking about Khalsa Colors lately.

Even though White and Blue are the traditional colors, I was wondering are the colors orgage and yellow acceptable?

I remember reading somewhere that organge was a color added later and is not a puratan color. But I remember reading on this forum that Bhai Sahib said Orange and BLue are the best combination?
Vah ji vah! Kya khoob kavita likhi aap ji neh. Neela dastara of Khalsa truly is unmatchable!
Veer Ji, I am hereby, suggesting some alterations, for your poem. I am doing that in very good faith. Kindly excuse me for that. I will prefer this changed version for my young students.

ਬੜੀ ਸੋਹਣੀ ਲਗਦੀ ਹੈ, Saanu ਦਸਤਾਰ ਜੀ।
ਸਭ ਲਈ ਹੈ ਲਾਜ਼ਮੀ, ਮਰਦ ਹੋਵੇ ਨਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਮੁੱਖ ਨਾਮ ਚਿੱਤ ਜੁੱਧ, ਵਾਹ ਵਾਹ ਓ ਖਾਲਸਾ,
ਦਸਤਾਰਧਾਰੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਸਦਾ, ਜੰਗ ਲਈ ਤਿਆਰ ਜੀ।

ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਖੁਮਾਰੀ Ohnoo, ਬਾਣੀ Da Saroor oos,
ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਕੋਈ, ਨਾ ਕਰe ਗੁਫਤਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸੀਸ ਫੱਬDee, ਜੇ ਨਾਮ ਵੀ ਪੱਲੇ ਹੋਵੇ,
ਬੱਸ ਕਹੀ ਚਲ ਮੁਖੋਂ, ਨਾਮ ਬਾਰੋ ਬਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਹੋਰ Saare ਰੰਗ ਵੀ, ਬਹੁਤ ਸੋਹਣੇ Bina ਸ਼ਕ,
ਪਰ ਨੀਲੀ ਪੱਗ ਹੰਦੇ, ਗੁਰੂ ਵੀ ਨਿਸਾਰ ਜੀ।

ਦੋਸਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਾਨ Eh, ਰਕੀਬਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਲਗੇ Changi
ਪੱਗ ਤਪੋਬਨੀ ਦੀ, ਸ਼ੋਅਲਾ ਤੇ ਸ਼ਰਾਰ ਜੀ।
ਦੋਸਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਾਨ Eh, ਰਕੀਬਾਂ ਨੂੰ NA ਲਗੇ Changi
nice poem jiiiiiiiiii!
Zahe-Naseeb MB Singh jeeo for doing Sudhaayee jee. Karam-nivaazi layee Shukariya jee.

ਦੋਸਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਾਨ Eh, ਰਕੀਬਾਂ ਨੂੰ NA ਲਗੇ Changi

Here Tapobani (Daas' Takhalas/pen name) is praising his own Dastaar by calling it Shoala and Sharaar.

The previous one was as follows:

ਦੋਸਤਾਂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਾਨ ਪਰ ਰਕੀਬਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਲਗੇ ਕਿ,
ਤਪੋਬਨੀ ਦੀ ਪੱਗ ਹੈ ਸ਼ੋਅਲਾ ਤੇ ਸ਼ਰਾਰ ਜੀ।

Here it is not Tapobani who is calling his Dastaar "Shoala and Sharaar" but his Rakeebs and this way, he gets no blame for exhibition of "Haume". winking smiley

Please give it some thought.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Thank you Veer Ji, for accomodating my misadventure.

You are very much right regarding the idea related with ਤਪੋਬਨੀ ਦੀ ਪੱਗ. Actually, the exact words or the scheme of words used by a sensitive author can never be replaced or translated, without changing the meaning. e.g. You are very simple and humble in your poetry too. A little change in words by another person may overshadow that quality of poetry.

Anyway, at one poetry forum, I have noted the concept of Joint Poetry. Two poets make one poem jointly. I do not know how they manage that. But, I liked the idea. "Ik Ikalla Do Giaran" Somebody lacks ideas, other lacks vocabulary. Good products are expected in the joint efforts.
Veer Sukhdeep Singh jeeo,

remember reading somewhere that organge was a color added later and is not a puratan color. But I remember reading on this forum that Bhai Sahib said Orange and BLue are the best combination?

Bhai Sahib indeed wrote that Basanti Keski and Surmai Dastaaara is the utmost combination. Basanti is not Orange but Xanthic as per a Punjabi Dictionary. Xanthic Colour looks like the image of a flower below:

Orange is more like Bhagva which is the colour of Hindus and not Sikhs. It is sad that this Bhagva colour has taken place of the original Basanti colour of Khalsa.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Anyway, at one poetry forum, I have noted the concept of Joint Poetry. Two poets make one poem jointly. I do not know how they manage that. But, I liked the idea. "Ik Ikalla Do Giaran" Somebody lacks ideas, other lacks vocabulary. Good products are expected in the joint efforts.

Perhaps we will try out "Joint Poetry" here, sometime.

Kulbir Singh
Some of us have already started doing joint poetry, it gives a very nice feeling.

I remember one msn conversation I was having with another gursikh, and spontainiously the conversation started to take the form of poetry. Once the flow started to go, it was amazing. We were finishing each others sentences and the finial outcome was very good.

I purpose that when someone posts a poem, instead of saying good job, we should post back a poem in response. This way we can share the feelings the poem has produced inside of us, and it will give us more inspiration.

I purpose that when someone posts a poem, instead of saying good job, we should post back a poem in response. This way we can share the feelings the poem has produced inside of us, and it will give us more inspiration.

This is a wonderful idea. This Daas does try to post back in poetry and now will try even more.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Orange is more like Bhagva which is the colour of
> Hindus and not Sikhs. It is sad that this Bhagva
> colour has taken place of the original Basanti
> colour of Khalsa.
>
> Daas,
> Kulbir Singh

Veer Ji I have seen pictures of Bhai Sahib wearing an organge Keski under his dastar?

Veer Ji I have seen pictures of Bhai Sahib wearing an organge Keski under his dastar?

This is not possible Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, since, there is no original colour picture of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. I don't think coloured cameras were available back in the 50s. The pictures that you have seen may have been colourized later on but originally they must have been Black and White pictures.

Kulbir Singh
Veer Ji I have seen pictures of Bhai Sahib in color.
Take a look at the following pictures

[images.search.yahoo.com]

and

[www.flickr.com]

Even though in above pictures Bhai Sahib is wearing yellow keski I thought I have seen him also wear Orange keski perhaps I am mistaking him for someone else. I find the link I will post it. I have also noticed many Singhs from Bhai Sahibs time also wear orange Keski.

I have not seen the color orange being approved in old Rehatnamas. I have only seen colors Blue, White, and Yellow as the accepted colors. So how did the color orange become popular. It seems like orange has become the most popular color amongst the DDT and AKJ? I have seen many Singhs in these groups either wear an Orange colored goal Dastar or an orange keski?
nevermind above pics are not originals.
ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ ਹਯ ਪਰ ਅਸਵਾਰਾ। ਨਿਜ ਤਨ ਸੋਂ ਕਰਹੈਂ ਉਜਯਾਰਾ।

-Bhai Desa Singh JI

smiling smiley

ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ ਹਯ ਪਰ ਅਸਵਾਰਾ। ਨਿਜ ਤਨ ਸੋਂ ਕਰਹੈਂ ਉਜਯਾਰਾ।

ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ can be done but ਹਯ ਪਰ ਅਸਵਾਰਾ is not that easy now a days, especially in Canada. smiling smiley

I am surprised that it says ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ and not ਨੀਲ ਬਸਨ. At least this is confirmed now that the acceptable colour is ਪੀਤ (yellow) and not ਭਗਵਾਂ (Orange) that has become popular today.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ ਹਯ ਪਰ
> ਅਸਵਾਰਾ। ਨਿਜ ਤਨ ਸੋਂ
> ਕਰਹੈਂ ਉਜਯਾਰਾ।
>
>
> ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ can be done but ਹਯ ਪਰ
> ਅਸਵਾਰਾ is not that easy now a days,
> especially in Canada. smiling smiley
>
> I am surprised that it says ਪੀਤ ਬਸਨ
> and not ਨੀਲ ਬਸਨ. At least this is
> confirmed now that the acceptable colour is
> ਪੀਤ (yellow) and not ਭਗਵਾਂ
> (Orange) that has become popular today.
>
> Kulbir Singh

Lol Bhai Sahib, I dont think ਹਯ ਪਰ
> ਅਸਵਾਰਾ is not so hard in Canada especially with the gas pricessmiling smiley

In regards to Blue BaNa

ਕੱਛ ਸਵੇਤ ਔਰ ਨੀਲ ਪਟ, ਜਪੁ ਅਰੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਓੁਚਾਰ

Bhai Daya Singh JI
੧ ਸੁਰਮਈ ੨ ਸਵਯੇ ੩. ਪੀਤ ੪ ਹਰਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ।ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੁੰਭੇ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ

- Bhai Daya Singh Ji

This is interesting rehatnama. I consider ਸੁਰਮਈ to mean blue. Does ਹਰਤ mean fresh/clean. Also, I thought ਕਸੁੰਭੇ means yellow ( Xanthic)
ਸੂਹਾ ਪਹਿਨ ਲਏ ਨਸਵਾਰ। ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਮ ਕਰੈ ਖੁਆਰ ।੧੦।

This is interesting rehatnama. I consider ਸੁਰਮਈ to mean blue. Does ਹਰਤ mean fresh/clean. Also, I thought ਕਸੁੰਭੇ means yellow ( Xanthic)

ਕਸੁੰਭੇ does not mean yellow but means bright Red. Sooha and Kasumbha are both Red.

ਸੁਰਮਈ means Navy Blue.

ਹਰਤ has to mean fresh or clean because it cannot mean Green.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
Thanks for the explanation on the following rehatnama

੧ ਸੁਰਮਈ ੨ ਸਵਯੇ ੩. ਪੀਤ ੪ ਹਰਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ।ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੁੰਭੇ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ

I dont know why I thought ਕਸੁੰਭੇ means yellow. This puzzled me since Bhai Sahib first
says to wear blue, white, and yellow.

You are right though because in MahanKosh the definition is:

ਇਸ ਦਾ ਲਾਲ ਰੰਗ ਬਹੁਤ ਭੜਕੀਲਾ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ

Surely this is proof that Guru Sahib did not wear the flashy red Chola that we see in many paintings today.
I was looking for the rehatnama that mentions not to wear green. Does anybody know where that is? I heard it mentions in BHai Chaupa SIngh Jis rehatnama but I cannot find it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login