ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What qualities are required for Bhagti

Posted by gursewak 
ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ ॥ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥ ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

One gurmukh Payara (while discussing the BHAGTI ) questioned to us

1) WHAT GUNNs(goodness) do you do ?

There was as pin-drop silence and then he read "ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥"

So can the GURMUKHs here throw more light on what GUNNs are relevant here ? The line clearly does the HUKAM by NANAK Sahib (if i understand correctly)

==> No devotional worship until/unless GUNNs(goodness,righteousness) are done.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I have never done bhagtee.. but, I am guessing some of the guN's Guru Sahib jee is speaking of are the ones we see and still neglect in everyday life. There are countless things one can do, i've listed some common ones.

Naam/Bani
Practicing gurmat-rehat
Giving Dasvandh
Helping any fellow human in need in any way (spiritually, physically, monetarily, emotionally)
Not wishing bad upon anyone
Avoiding 5 vikaar at all costs
Not indulging in ninda, chuglee, jhoot, cheating etc. etc.
Speaking and living with nimarta
Accepting bhaNa
Eating less, sleeping less, speaking less
please check this previous post jee
[gurmatbibek.com]
This is a very important question and a very relevant as well. The aim of human life is to meet Vaheguru and to meet Vaheguru one requires Gurmat Bhagti. Gurmat Bhagti in turn can be done if the seeker adopts certain virtues or Gunns. What are these Gunns? These Gunns are not listed at one place, in Gurbani but are spread out. In order to get these Gunns, we have to delve deep in Gurbani.

Vaheguru's own Virtues are needed to do Bhagti

The first Pankiti that has come to mind is the common Hukamnama Shabad that goes as follows:

ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਵਦੇ ਸੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੇ ਪਾਏ ॥
(Vaheguru loves his own virtues and these virtues can be obtained from Guru Sahib)

From the above pankiti it is clear that Vaheguru loves His virtues and one who possesses these virtues too gets loved by Him. We get very important information from this Pankiti - The virtues of Vaheguru can be obtained from Guru Sahib. Our Guru is Gurbani. Therefore, it is concluded that these Gurmat Virtues can be obtained from Gurbani - by reciting Gurbani and by doing Vichaar on Gurbani.

The above pankiti also opens the riddle of what virtues are required for Bhagti. These virtues are such that at first we ought to struggle to possess these virtues. This will aid our Naam Abhyaas and then when Naam Abhyaas starts giving fruit, these virtues will become part of our natural nature.

The Greatest Virtue or Quality

As per Gurbani the greatest virtue to possess is to consider Vaheguru Husband always near or close:

ਸਗਲ ਗੁਣਾ ਗੁਣ ਊਤਮੋ ਭਰਤਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਪਿਖੁ ਰੀ ॥1॥
(The greatest of all qualities is to not see your Husband (Vaheguru) far away.)

Let's have a look at this whole Shabad that contains some very important lessons for Seekers of Vaheguru:

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ 5 ॥ ਸੰਤਾ ਕੀ ਹੋਇ ਦਾਸਰੀ ਏਹੁ ਅਚਾਰਾ ਸਿਖੁ ਰੀ ॥
ਸਗਲ ਗੁਣਾ ਗੁਣ ਊਤਮੋ ਭਰਤਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਪਿਖੁ ਰੀ ॥1॥
ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਸੁੰਦਰਿ ਆਪਣਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਮਜੀਠੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰੀ ॥
ਤਿਆਗਿ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਚਾਤੁਰੀ ਤੂੰ ਜਾਣੁ ਗੁਪਾਲਹਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਰੀ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਭਰਤਾ ਕਹੈ ਸੁ ਮਾਨੀਐ ਏਹੁ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਬਣਾਇ ਰੀ ॥
ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਵਿਸਾਰੀਐ ਏਹੁ ਤੰਬੋਲਾ ਖਾਇ ਰੀ ॥2॥
ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਪਕੋ ਇਹ ਸਤ ਕੀ ਸੇਜ ਬਿਛਾਇ ਰੀ ॥
ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਕਰ ਜੋੜਿ ਰਹੁ ਤਉ ਭੇਟੈ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਇ ਰੀ ॥3॥
ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਚਜੁ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਾਈ ਰੂਪਿ ਅਪਾਰਿ ਰੀ ॥
ਸਾਈ ਸੁੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜੋ ਭਾਣੀ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ ਰੀ ॥4॥16॥118॥

The above Shabads tells us some of the Gursikhi virtues needed to do Bhagti:

1) Become servant of Gurmukhs; learn this good characteristic.
2) Don't consider Vaheguru to be far from you.
3) Colour your mind in the permanent colour of Naam i.e. Japp Naam.
4) Give up the cleverness of your mind and consider Vaheguru to be with you (near you).
5) Do what you are told to do by Vaheguru i.e. obey Gurbani; let this be your Shingaar.
6) Give up love for anything other than Vaheguru (ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ).
7) Lighten your inside with Guru's teaching (Shabad) and make your moral character high.
8) All 8 Pehars of the day, keep your hands folded i.e. chant Naam all day; then you will meet Vaheguru.

Keeping Khalsa Rehit

Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee has made it clear that keeping Rehit is of utmost importance:

ਰਹਿਣੀ ਰਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਿਖ ਮੇਰਾ ॥
ਓੁਹ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਮੈ ਉਸ ਕਾ ਚੇਰਾ ॥
ਰਹਿਤ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਨਹਿ ਸਿਖ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥
ਰਹਿਤ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਦਰ ਚੋਟਾਂ ਖਾਵੈ ॥
ਰਹਿਤ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਸੁਖ ਕਬਹੁੰ ਨ ਲਹੇ ॥
ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਰਹਿਤ ਸੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਕਰ ਰਹੈ ॥

(A Sikh who keeps Rehit is my Sikh. He is my Master and I am his disciple. Without Rehit no one can be called a Sikh. Without Rehit, a Sikh would wander around getting hurt. Without Rehit a Sikh can never get happiness. Therefore, a Sikh must keep Rehit.)

Other Gurmat Virtues

1) Truthful living, contentedness and Gurmat Vichaar are important Virtues for a Sikh - ...ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੋ ॥

2) Nirvairta and Nirbhaita - No-enmity and Fearlessness - ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ.

3) Don't give Fear nor take anyone's Fear - ਭੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕਉ ਦੇਤ ਨਹਿ ਨਹਿ ਭੈ ਮਾਨਤ ਆਨ ॥

4) Don't fear anyone other than Vaheguru - ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਭਉ ਕਾਹੇ ਕਾ ਮਾਨਹਿ ॥

5) Don't do Ninda and Chugli - ਨਿੰਦਾ ਭਲੀ ਕਿਸੈ ਕੀ ਨਾਹੀ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੁਗਧ ਕਰੰਨਿ॥

There are many such virtues listed in Gurbani and a detailed article will be written on this subject in the coming future.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Jee,
EXCELLENT POST. You are a blessed Gursikh.
Thank you Veer Ji, for sharing all these virtues. There is no end to these. We have to go deeper and deeper for search of these virtues.

Is it possible, that the virtues in question are discussed forehand, in the above Pankiti.

ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥
ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥
ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥

ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
We have Suniae,Manea dian Pourian; before all these pankities. And then again ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥ comes here again.
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥ is also a Gun. And all these are given by YOU. My attempts never help me.
Is it possible that we look for the "good qualities" only from that part of JAPJI; which appears before this Pankiti.
Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji.
Veer MB Singh jeeo, you have presented an intriguing thought that perhaps the Gunns that Siri Guru jee is referring to are already referred to in the preceding Pauris. A more profound dive into Siri Jap jee Sahib is required to determine this.

Having said that, we need to realize that Siri Jap jee Sahib is a very concentrated Gurbani. It contains complete Gurmat Philosophy but in a very concentrated form. In every Pankiti oceans of divine knowledge is contained.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
WaheGuru Waheguru - Satguru Sache Patshah di Bani is so well structured and so much complete in itself. Sikhs (today) are really in bad luck to be in such VIVAAADs(we see today around) with such a treasure of GYAN/KIRPA from Guru Sahib with us.

Sache Patsah Kirpa Karan sannu Gurbani naal Pyar ho jaye and te assin isss te AMAL kar layyiye !!

Bahut DhanVaad ji - Dhan ho tussi Gursikh !!

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Please ponder over the following

ਤੀਰਥੁ, ਤਪੁ, ਦਇਆ, ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ are the good qualities; but they give us ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ at the most. Most important is THAT LISTENING, THAT ACTION and that ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ. And along with that, ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ. That will be a great and real pilgrimage.

But how to have these good virtues. Only YOU YOURSELF have all these and many others (and you give it all). And if somebody has these virtues, those all are given by you. And I have none. And I also know ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

Waheguru Ji
Good Vichaar MB Singh jeeo. Let's look at these two Pankitis:

ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
All virtues are yours (blessed by you, created by you, possessed by you), I have none but unless you create virtues inside me, I can't do your Bhagti.

It looks like Siri Guru jee here is referring to such qualities that enable one to do Bhagti. Whatever those qualities are, they are blessed by Vaheguru Himself.

Having said that, it is still of utmost importance to adopt Gurmat Shubh Gunn i.e. Gurmat virtues in order to do Bhagti. An effort has to be made to lead a high moral Gurmukhi life.

Kulbir Singh
I read this a while back, it is some how relevant to Virtue
Samurai's were great warriors bushido is the rehat they use to follow. Gursikhs to have same Virtue but the have Gurmat Naam/BaNee to go with it, which makes it distinct. So there Sant & Sipahi

The Bushido Code has seven main virtues whose roots stem from Confucius and Zen Buddhism.

*Gi (rectitude) morality, integrity
*Yū (courage) bravery, valor
*Jin (Benevolence) kindness, compassion
*Rei (respect) reverence
*Makoto (honesty) sincerity
*Meiyo (honor, glory) nobility
*Chūgi (loyalty) faithfulness, devotion, trustworthiness

*Kō (filial piety) love and respect for parents and ancestors
*Chi (wisdom) insight
*Tei (caring for the elderly)

* A sense of Justice and Honesty.
* Courage and Contempt For Death.
* Self-Control.
* Sympathy Towards All People.
* Politeness and Respect For Etiquette.
* Sincerity and Respect For One's Word of Honour.
* Absolute Loyalty To One's Superior.
* A Duty To Defend The Honour of One's Name and Guild.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login