ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 Probable Spelling Mistakes in Printed Siri Asa kee Vaar

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. Despite taking steps to print Shudh Saroops, still, there are some typo mistakes in Printed-Saroops published by Shromini Committee. Master Jaswant Singh jee of Siri Amritsar Sahib has done a lot of research of Old Saroops along with Late Bhai Joginder Singh jee Talwara. In a recent conversation with Master jee, he informed me of the following 3 differences in the printed Siri Asa kee Vaar and some old handwritten Saroops:

Master jee asked me to recite the second Salok of 7th Pauri of Siri Asa kee Vaar. When I reached the last pankiti:

1) ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਹੈ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਜਨਹੁ ਇਤੁ ਸੰਜਮਿ ਦੁਖ ਜਾਹਿ ॥2॥

I pronounced “ਜਾਹਿ” with nasal sound in the end. He said that this word “ਜਾਹਿ” should actually be “ਜਾਇ”. I objected saying that since “ਦੁਖ” did not have an aunkad in the end, and was a plural noun, the verb associated with it should be “ਜਾਹਿ”. Master jee responded saying that I was correct as far as this rule is concerned but in old Saroops the word “ਦੁਖ” too has an aunkad in the end and is spelled as “ਦੁਖੁ”. He furthermore added that this pankiti was actually an answer to the question asked in one of the previous pankiti. This Pankiti is:

ਹਉਮੈ ਕਿਥਹੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਕਿਤੁ ਸੰਜਮਿ ਇਹ ਜਾਇ ॥

The question is talking about the singular Dukh of Haume. So then how can the response contain plural of Dukh? This made sense to me and I accepted his assertion.

2) Next Master jee asked me to repeat the 3rd Salok of 11th Pauri. The third Pankiti of this Salok is as follows:

ਅਗੈ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਜੋਰੁ ਹੈ ਅਗੈ ਜੀਉ ਨਵੇ ॥

He asked me if “ਜੀਉ” was singular or plural. I responded saying that it is singular. Then he asked me if “ਨਵੇ” was singular or plural and I responded saying it was plural. Then he asked me as to how the adjective of a singular noun could be plural? I was baffled. Then he asked me the plural form of “ਜੀਉ” and I responded saying that it is “ਜੀਅ”. Then he disclosed that he has done darshan of a Saroop which contained the Paath “ਜੀਅ” instead of “ਜੀਉ”. I agree with Master jee here.

3) Next, he took me to first Salok of 20th Pauri. The third Pankiti is as follows:

ਫਿਕਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਸਟੀਐ ਮੁਹਿ ਥੁਕਾ ਫਿਕੇ ਪਾਇ ॥

Master jee has done Darshan of a Saroop that has “ਪਾਹਿ” instead of “ਪਾਇ ”. The logic behind this is that the word “ਥੁਕਾ ” is a plural noun and the verb associated with this should be “ਪਾਹਿ”. About this one, I am not one hundred percent sure as I have not fully understood it. Need more Vichaar on this.

Bhai Joginder Singh jee clamoured all his life about the mistakes in the printed Saroops but no one listened to him. It is said that he did a lot of hard work and came up with the list of these mistakes and submitted it to Shromini Committee but no one took any notice. An effort should be made to correct the mistakes in the printed Saroops. Guru Sahib Kirpa karan.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Here is another discovery of Master jee. Presented below is this discovery in question-answer format, for the sake of easy understanding:

1) Does Salok have any set number of pauris?

Yes. No matter how many Pankitis are there in a Salok, it has only one Pauri i.e. the total count of stanzas is always one. A Salok does not have a number of stanzas but just one stanza and that is the Salok itself. If there is a Rahao Pankiti in a Salok or a Shabad, it is not counted in the count of total stanzas.

2) How many Saloks are associated with the 12th Pauri of Siri Asa kee Vaar?

There are 4 Saloks associated with this Pauri.

3) Then why does it say at the end of the last Salok that the total of Saloks is 5?

Because the 1st Salok contains two Stanzas.

4) But you responded in the first question saying that there can be only one stanza in a Salok. Then how can the 1st Salok have two Stanzas?

I am not sure. Please explain.

Here is the explanation:

In actuality, this Salok is not one Salok but two separate Saloks. In old Saroops, there is a "Mahalla 1" as follows:

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ:1 ॥
ਦੁਖੁ ਦਾਰੂ ਸੁਖੁ ਰੋਗੁ ਭਇਆ ਜਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਤਾਮਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥
ਤੂੰ ਕਰਤਾ ਕਰਣਾ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਾ ਹਉ ਕਰੀ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥1॥

ਮ:1॥ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਵਸਿਆ ॥ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਲਖਿਆ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਜਾਤਿ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਤਾ ਅਕਲ ਕਲਾ ਭਰਪੂਰਿ
ਰਹਿਆ ॥ ਤੂੰ ਸਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸੁਆਲ੍‍ਉਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਤੀ ਸੋ ਪਾਰਿ ਪਇਆ ॥
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੀਆ ਬਾਤਾ ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਣਾ ਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ॥2॥

Now it makes perfect sense to have the count of total Saloks as 5 in the end.

I hope the SGPC will wake up from its slumber and pay attention to the obvious mistakes in printed Saroops today. A panel of Gursikh scholars should compare the printed Saroops with old Shudh Saroops and correct the obvious mistakes. This is not the first time an audit of printed Saroops has been done. It has been done in the past and many mistakes have been corrected. It needs to do another audit and use the work of Bhai Joginder Singh jee Talwara to correct the typos in printed Saroops.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
thanks for bring this to our attention. I've notice most asa ki vaar gutka have different spellings
If someone wishes to write maharaj di saroop they need to have access to this list of spelling mistakes. Where can such information be purchased?
ਦਰਿ ਲਏ ਲੇਖਾ ਪੀੜਿ ਛੁਟੈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਉ ਤੇਲੁ ॥੨॥
dhar leae laekhaa peerr shhuttai naanakaa jio thael ||2||
In the Court of the Lord, the accounts are examined; O Nanak, the sinners are crushed, like oil seeds in the press. ||2||

Mostly the pause is given at ਛੁਟੈ; that is wrong. It should be at ਪੀੜਿ. Sangat be informed, please.
MB Singh jeeo,

Mostly the pause is given at ਛੁਟੈ; that is wrong. It should be at ਪੀੜਿ. Sangat be informed, please.

Where does the word "ਛੁਟੈ" figure in the meanings?

Isn't the meaning "ਪੀੜ ਸੁਟਦਾ ਹੈ" ?

In this case, the Bishraam would be at ਛੁਟੈ.

The second question is ਲੇਖਾ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਪੀੜਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਪੀੜ ਕੇ ਲੇਖਾ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ?

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
ਪੀੜ ਕੇ ਲੇਖਾ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ, and like oil it comes out (from the mill)

May be, it is so.

ਪੀੜ ਕੇ ਲੇਖਾ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ, and like oil it comes out (from the mill)

Yes in this case the Bishraam has to be at ਪੀੜਿ but the way Professor Sahib Singh has done the meaning, then the Bisrhaam should be at ਛੁਟੈ. He has done the meaning - ਪੀੜ ਸੁੱਟਦਾ ਹੈ.

Kulbir Singh
Is it that we can use CHHUTDA as SUTDA ? If it is so, certainly the meaning will be otherway. And if CHHUTDA is CHHUTDA only, it can be used in two ways. The culprit CHHUTDA hai (is set free), after oil punishment or the culprit CHHUTDA hai (comes out from the oil-press) as oil or residue.

Wheresoever be the pause or no pause; it is horrible to imagine passing through a press; and coming out as oil or the residue? sad smiley

I dont know if they use the oil press of ancient times or modern computerized oil press. smiling smiley Here are the pictures of old oil press.

[www.google.ca]

Wheresoever be the pause or no pause; it is horrible to imagine passing through a press; and coming out as oil or the residue?

I dont know if they use the oil press of ancient times or modern computerized oil press. Here are the pictures of old oil press.

MB Singh jeeo, if you were trying to scare us, you have succeeded. smiling smiley

It should serve as a deterant against sinning. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
In the Gurdwara Sahib I attend the Granthis before taking a Vaak almost always read the line ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਦਰਸਨਿ ਪਰਸਿਐ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੈ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਾਇ ॥੧੦॥

Everytime I hear this line it reminds of a time when I think Kulbir Singh mentioned the spelling mistake in this line on Tapoban.org. ਟਲ should be read ਕਲ as this was written by Bhatt ਕਲ.
Can we make a sticky for all the printing mistakes?
That way we can refer back to it like a list.
This list can include Siri Asa Kee Vaar, and another pangtis that have galti in the printing.
Sukhdev Singh jee, a separate section containing most common mistakes in printed Nitnem, Siri Sukhmani Sahib, Siri Asa kee Vaar, will be created within Santhiya link.

Admin.
Wahegurrooojeekaakhalsa Wahegurrooojeekeefateh

"Bhai Joginder Singh jee clamoured all his life about the mistakes in the printed Saroops but no one listened to him. It is said that he did a lot of hard work and came up with the list of these mistakes and submitted it to Shromini Committee but no one took any notice."

Would it be possible for us to get hold of the list, so it can be published on a wider scale?

Can we request the list from the Shromini committee?

Wahegurrooo
If the plea to Shromani Committee fell on deaf ears, I doubt they would be interested in giving anyone a list. This would highlight their ignorance in the whole episode. But I am sure someone has a copy somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login